F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)
Justin in Miami
Storm Tracker

Reged: Thu
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Re: Frank P - riding it out... [Re: Justin in Miami]
      #27627 - Wed Sep 15 2004 12:18 PM

I didn't phrase that correctly....Biloxi is about 51 miles directly west of the center of Mobile Bay (where the storm is projected to go). At 11am the eye was 50NM...hmm.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LI Phil
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
mbfly [Re: mbfly]
      #27628 - Wed Sep 15 2004 12:19 PM

>>> then have to make a quick rescue run to get a rabbit in a cage out of someone's yard since they left it there

Nah...not gonna go there.

Be safe mbf; will pray even harder now knowing that you're staying...

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

rhendryx
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Wed
Loc: Tampa, FL
Re: Ivan Strength [Re: BillD]
      #27629 - Wed Sep 15 2004 12:20 PM

Thanks. BillD, that's what I was looking for. I have emailed and faxed information and weblink to them.

Best to all,

Bob

SkeetoBiteAdministrator
Master of Maps

Reged: Sun
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Extreme close up [Re: LI Phil]
      #27630 - Wed Sep 15 2004 12:21 PM

Full size available at www.skeetobite.com

Ormond Suzie
Weather Watcher

Loc: Ormond Beach, Florida
Re: Ivan Strength [Re: rhendryx]
      #27631 - Wed Sep 15 2004 12:21 PM

Quote:

I am in Maryland listening to steaming audio of WPMI in Mobile. The uninformed host of this radio station talk show is having a running discussion with callers about closing or not closing windows in your home for the approach of Ivan. He says the response is about 50/50.

I believe the correct answer is to close windows, but I have not yet found an official source for this information.
Can anyone help?

It is unbelievable the number of people who calling into this talk show who don't seem to have a clue what to do!

Thanks,

Bob

Well, here's what NOAA has to say about open windows during a tornado (just do a google search under <myth hurricane OR tornado "open windows"> to get 314 sites that debunk the myth):

Q. Should I open my windows before a tornado approaches?

A. It's a myth that open windows equalize pressure and minimize damage when a tornado strikes. Opening windows allows damaging winds to enter the structure. Leave the windows alone and immediately go to a safe place.

Ken-SRQ

Reged: Tue
Loc: Sarasota, FL
Re: Ivan Strength [Re: rhendryx]
      #27632 - Wed Sep 15 2004 12:22 PM

Bob,

http://www.fema.gov/rrr/talkdiz/hurricane.shtm

Check the above link from FEMA under "Protect your property".

The key is to keep the wind out of the house, which means all windows and doors should be closed. This will keep your roof on which in turn will usually allow the structure to stand in all but Cat V storms.

The old wives tale about leaving a window open to equalize the pressure doesn't even make sense when you stop and think about it. Houses are not sealed to begin with - think about all of the electrical outlets that are open to the inside wallspace, which vents to the attic and out the soffits.

Protect the envelope of your house - that is what they need to be preaching.

Ken

Kdubs
Weather Watcher

Reged: Thu
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Keep your windows closed [Re: Kdubs]
      #27633 - Wed Sep 15 2004 12:25 PM

I forgot to add this to my previous post.

I read in the Orlando Sentinel that a local Floridian was actively seeking for a large jetliner to charter so he could drop a large amount of kitty litter into Ivan and suck up the moisture.

Thought that was an interesting approach (not necessarily effective, but definitely creative).

--------------------
South Orlando
God Bless
A B C D E F G H I J K L
Bold = Reached hurricane status
Italics = Impacted Florida

MO Stormspotter
Unregistered

Re: Ivan Strength [Re: Ormond Suzie]
      #27634 - Wed Sep 15 2004 12:25 PM

Call me crazy but the constant downpour of rain would be enough to make me keep my windows shut.

St. David
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Mon
Re: Ivan Strength [Re: MO Stormspotter]
      #27635 - Wed Sep 15 2004 12:28 PM

you know what sucks? my car window jus broke and its stuck down! GREAT! time to put a bag over it and hope the best!

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Re: Frank P - riding it out... [Re: leetdan]
      #27636 - Wed Sep 15 2004 12:28 PM

ah, the Fuiji-wahra effect. (spelling is probably way off)

I remember some years ago it happened in the Pacific, as one storm tried to rotate around the other. In the Atlantic, I remember Isis being destroyed by the outflow of a close upstream system.
There was another instance in the last 10 years I think there were actually 5 classified systems in the Atlantic at the same time, but all were well-spaced.
As crazy as this year has been, the unusual is becoming the usual.

One note on post-landfall: I hope the forecast of this system stalling does not verify because it will turn into a situation like Allison. Wherever that sits, with the upslope flow, this can be devastating to many areas, in all different ways. The latest GFS does move it a little more, but still keeps it stuck.

Maggie'sMom

Re: Frank P - riding it out... [Re: Justin in Miami]
      #27637 - Wed Sep 15 2004 12:29 PM

Hey guys. I am a regular reader-newly registered poster. I live in Frank P's neck of the woods - Pascagoula, MS. I am here in Montgomery, AL with family to wait for Ivan's arrival. Any information about the Gulf Coast would be greatly appreciated. We're trying to stay informed. I feel like I'm two thousand miles away instead of two hundred. Thanks

leetdan
Weather Guru

Loc: Osceola County
Re: Keep your windows closed [Re: Kdubs]
      #27638 - Wed Sep 15 2004 12:33 PM

I always get a kick out of those stories... Prior to Frances rolling through here, this one nut kept calling the local radio station covering the storm, ranting and raving about how the technology exists to seed hurricanes and weaken/dissipate them.

Heh.

Fist of all, a major hurricane consumes about 8000 megatons of thermal energy in one day. The world's complete nuclear arsenal, on the other hand, is about 5000 megatons. If this energy isn't dissipated by the hurricane, it's only going to remain for the next storm (this would be a monopoly of hellish magnitude).

The government actually experimented with hurricane seeding from the 60s through the 80s (project STORMFURY), with no consistent results. There's a local company here (google for Dyno Gel or something like that) that claims to be able to dissipate cumulus clouds with a diaper/kittylitter type material, but they don't mention that it would take hundreds of fully-loaded C5's (the largest military transport in the Air Force) running non-stop sorties to even put a dent in a hurricane.

The idea that you can alter one of nature's strongest forces, stronger than all of man's weaponry, by sprinkling something on it is just laughable.

--------------------
[witty phrase here]

tpratch

Loc: Maryland
Fujiwhara [Re: Maggie'sMom]
      #27639 - Wed Sep 15 2004 12:35 PM

Storms involved in the Fujiwhara effect are rotating around one another as if they had locked arms and were square dancing. Rather than each storm spinning about the other, they are actually moving about a central point between them, as if both were tied to the same post and each swung around it separately of the other.

To complete the effect, the entire system - the two storms and the central point between them - must move off in a single direction while the storms continue spinning about each other.

Fujiwhara looked closely at many different types of vortices to see how they acted when they came close to each other. He noted that if two vortices were equal in size and strength and spun in the same direction (like the hands of a clock but backwards, or "counter-clockwise"), they would move about each other as described above. But he also noticed other movements.

If two vortices spinning counter-clockwise approached and one of the vortices was larger than the other, they would begin spinning around each other for a short time with the larger one dominating. Eventually the smaller of the two vortices would get caught in the circulation of the larger one and be gobbled up.

If the similar vortices spun in opposite directions, one clockwise, one counter-clockwise, they would push each other away if they got too close. Other scientists since 1921 studied many cases where this happened in the atmosphere. Tropical cyclones called hurricanes or typhoons are perfect examples. This is where the term "Fujiwhara effect" gets used most often.

And there you go.

Edited by tpratch (Wed Sep 15 2004 12:58 PM)

chuck325
Unregistered

Re: IVAN [Re: MikeC]
      #27640 - Wed Sep 15 2004 12:35 PM

FOR THOSE WHO THINK Ivan IS GOING TO N.O NEEDS TO DROP IT. IT ISNT GOING ANYWHERE NEAR THERE EVEN THOUGH I WISH IT WOULD I LIVE IN P-COLA AND WE ARE ABOUT TO GET THE (expletive deleted)KICKED OUT OF US.. SO IM TIRED OF PEOPLE SAYING N.O IS IN THE CONE OF ERROR N.O ISNT GETTING CRAP SO GET OFF THE IDEA ITS GOING THERE ITS PRETTY OBVIOUS LIKE Andrew WAS WHEN IT HIT SOUTH FLORIDA ITS HEADING FOR MOBILE AND THERE IS NOTHING TO CHANGE THAT.......MY PRAYERS ARE WITH EVERBODY IN THE P-COLA MOBILE AREA...HOPE FOR THE BEST PREPARE FOR THE WORST MY POWER IS GOING OUT SO ILL CHAT LATER

Edited by LI Phil (Wed Sep 15 2004 12:56 PM)

cindy

Loc: Mobile, AL
Re: Frank P - riding it out... [Re: mbfly]
      #27641 - Wed Sep 15 2004 12:38 PM

Referenced you in my first post this am but didnt have time to look up your name (not good at this and like you kinda frazzled)-anyway, Im not far from you so stay in touch and be safe!

clyde w.
Storm Tracker

Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Frank P - riding it out... [Re: Frank P]
      #27642 - Wed Sep 15 2004 12:39 PM

Frank P-- I don't often make personal posts--but you've been around about as long as this site as I recall, and I've always had a great deal of respect for your opinions.

Be safe! And remember, if the situation warrants a change in tactics -- your most important decisions are the ones you make during the storm. I think you know that, but for any lurkers that are staying in the area who are as prepared as they can be, make very sound decisions both during and after the storm. You may be ready now, but God only knows what Ivan will throw at you in the next few hours.

Clyde W--who was very surprised by what Charley gave us in Orlando

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Re: Frank P - riding it out... [Re: Maggie'sMom]
      #27643 - Wed Sep 15 2004 12:39 PM

Maggie's Mom...

I think Pascagoula's situation wil be similar to what happened during Fredrick, or perhaps even a little worse, depending on final track..... I also think Pascagoula has a 50/50 change of getting the brunt of the eye..... who knows.. any bobble at the last minute will be critical for my good neighbors to the east....

watching the radar loop like a madman.... last frame sure hints of a little, tiny, microscopic bobble/jog to the NNNNE.... I sure hope so... wind gusts along the coast upper twenties and low thirties at the moment

I think we have a real good chance for another I storm to be retired... I sure hope I'm wrong

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/radar/loop/DS.p20-r/si.klix.shtml

leetdan
Weather Guru

Loc: Osceola County
Re: IVAN [Re: chuck325]
      #27644 - Wed Sep 15 2004 12:40 PM

Settle down pal, The cone of error is just that -- the area that the hurricane could feasibly deviate from the forecast and strike. Ivan will be felt in NO, and it will be felt in Pensacola, no matter what. Where the exact center passes is trivial, it's the general eyewall region that needs to be focused on.

Oh, and I think your shift key is stuck.

Partial delete by moderator

--------------------
[witty phrase here]

Edited by Storm Cooper (Wed Sep 15 2004 12:44 PM)

mom2als

Loc: Kissimmee, Fl
Re: For those who lose power...please read and print [Re: Lake Toho - Kissimmee]
      #27645 - Wed Sep 15 2004 12:40 PM

Lake Toho-Kiss, you need to try again with fema. My sister's co worker got a check for $1200 last week. The husband had found out if he bought both a generator and chain saw he would be reimbursed. They were only without power for a few days and had NO damage at all,nor have any trees on their property to even use a chain saw on! This is a big sore spot with me since I (as with so many others in my development) got so much damage from Charley and more from Frances and got a big fat $0 from fema(supposedly since we havent heard from our insurance companies yet.) Meanwhile I've already paid for 2 temp roof jobs totally $1100, after the couple hundred $ worth of plastic etc, didnt hold up,not too mention the hotel costs for the first 2 weeks.
Good luck!

Grasshopper

Loc: Tarpon Springs, FL
Re: Concerned about flooding.. [Re: MikeC]
      #27646 - Wed Sep 15 2004 12:41 PM

Hello All...

I live in the tampa bay area (palm harbor), I am right on the gulf and my back yard is currently flooded. High tide is in about 30 min should the water rise any higher after that?

Good luck to all up north. Looks like irs gonna be a rough one. Saty safe and godspeed.

Thank You

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 174 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 72312

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center