F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | >> (show all)
Kent
Weather Guru

Reged: Sun
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale
Re: Frank P. [Re: LI Phil]
      #28099 - Wed Sep 15 2004 10:37 PM

I'm trying to think positive. He just turned his computer off to save batteries. Hoping maybe he will try to write in the calm of the eye.

This must be awful for the people who have been around here awhile. Frank and Jason are both such good guys and you all seem to be great friends. I asked my kids to say an extra prayer for both of them tonight. Kids seem to have a clearer link to God, I think.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rule
Weather Guru

Reged: Thu
Loc: Ocala, Florida
Re: Frank P. [Re: Kent]
      #28100 - Wed Sep 15 2004 10:38 PM

Have not heard from MBFLY either... Expect Mobile is rather Dark at the moment...

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
Re: Frank P. [Re: LI Phil]
      #28101 - Wed Sep 15 2004 10:38 PM

Yes, but what I keep thinking (to stay positive) is that he said he wanted to be offline for a while to save a battery, and he hadn't eaten since yesterday.
John Hope and Neil Frank were my 2 favorites back in the day. I do miss the early TWC days.
If they want to bring it into the 21st century, maybe they should start to show model data at times.
1 thing I miss, and this may sound stupid, is they used to have a pretty good current map, and they used to put the time on it. Why they ever stopped doing it, I have no idea.

The new ETA is coming in. It skirts Jeanne along the north coast of Cuba, so based on recent performance, it should be north of there. Of course, I don't even know if the GFS knows it's there yet (yes, I am exaggerating).

On a larger scale topic, El Nino is expected this winter, albeit a weak one. Since there is a lag time, it obviously is not affecting this hurricane season, but we'll have to see how strong and/or persistent it is for next season.

clyde w.
Storm Tracker

Reged: Fri
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: TWC...my $.02 [Re: SkeetoBite]
      #28102 - Wed Sep 15 2004 10:39 PM

SkketoBite--that happened during Charley to Donald Forbes from our local CBS station. He got of lucky with stitches in his thumb and a nice shiner.

LI Phil
User

Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Frank P. [Re: Rasvar]
      #28103 - Wed Sep 15 2004 10:40 PM

Guys, thanks for the prompt responses...my only concern (and he either lost or they cut power hours ago) was that he said he would post "in an hour" and I thinkk that was 7:00ish...

He may be checking on his brother (who resides in Mobile) or he may be busy...sh-t, the guy's been thru Camille...

He may also be 3/4 of the way thru his bottle of Crown (I know I'd be)...

Just was concerned, das all.

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

rule
Weather Guru

Mobile NOAA radar [Re: Kent]
      #28104 - Wed Sep 15 2004 10:40 PM

What the heck is the eye doing? It's opened and merged with an outer dry band? What is going on?

Kent
Weather Guru

Reged: Sun
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale
Re: Nowcast [Re: Kdubs]
      #28105 - Wed Sep 15 2004 10:40 PM

can't now. I guess the car floated away. The screen has gone blank. That was just stupid! I coulda used that vehicle!

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged: Mon
Loc: fl
Re: Landfall point [Re: scottsvb]
      #28106 - Wed Sep 15 2004 10:41 PM

Quote:

I been at work most of the night so I couldnt respond to any emails sent to me. Also been on phone with NWS. Landfall will be on the Alabama-Florida boarder within 20 miles. This was adjusted just east due to land interaction (we think) from La causing a minor push to the NNE for 2 hours and now is back on a almost 5dg north march. Ivan will make landfall about 40 miles east of where I projected my Biloxi-Mobile landfall. Anyone from Biloxi-Ft Walton beach needs to get indoors NOW and get ready for hurricane force winds after midnight. Severe winds, tornados, storm surge of 8-12 ft with high tide in many locations around 1-3am. Landfall should be in about 6 hrs. Rainfall amounts are still the same up to 12 inches near the center and just east. Local amounts higher but alot less more then 50 miles west of the center. Panama City area and inland thru the panhandle is experiencing many spawned short-lived tornados and also across alabama and mississippi. That will continue for the next 2 days or more. Rainfall amounts further north will rise as Ivan moves NNE and stalls out over the Tenn valley. A strong ridge will form to its north and dive Se this weekend blocking any NE movement out and may push this west to western Tenn before a turn north Monday into Tuesday to the Ohio Valley. The problem up there wont be the wind but the several inches of rain. More on Jeanne later,,, but right now, everyone near any water or open ground need to get in a save place. Everyone elsewhere need to get indoors for the next 12-18hrs and but whatever they have in theyre fridges,,,into the freezers and when power goes out,,,put in coolers so they stay colder when everything warms up.

Mozart
Weather Watcher

Loc: Simpsonville, SC
Re: Frank P. [Re: Kent]
      #28107 - Wed Sep 15 2004 10:42 PM

I believe that Frank had already lost power earlier tonight. He made a statement about trying to conserve battery power a few hours ago. He said very early this afternoon that once power went out he would be shutting down his laptop frequently to conserve those batteries, so I'm assuming that's where he is right now. Also remember, once his cable lines get cut, his internet is gone, and we're not gonna hear any more from him until the main part of the storm is over, if that soon. Based on what I saw on TWC earlier, I wouldn't be surprised to find out his internet service is done for tonight.

danielwAdministrator

Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: HIRT-1 [Re: clyde w.]
      #28108 - Wed Sep 15 2004 10:42 PM

Webcam image is now gone. Water must have shorted it out. Oops

Wxwatcher2
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc:
Re: TWC...my $.02 [Re: clyde w.]
      #28109 - Wed Sep 15 2004 10:43 PM

Joe Bastardi just said he thinks Jeanne skirts cuba thru the fla straits and goes into the Gulf.
He said it definatel is aimed at the US coast somewhere.

LI Phil
User

Re: Frank P. [Re: Mozart]
      #28110 - Wed Sep 15 2004 10:44 PM

Quote:

I believe that Frank had already lost power earlier tonight. He made a statement about trying to conserve battery power a few hours ago. He said very early this afternoon that once power went out he would be shutting down his laptop frequently to conserve those batteries, so I'm assuming that's where he is right now. Also remember, once his cable lines get cut, his internet is gone, and we're not gonna hear any more from him until the main part of the storm is over, if that soon. Based on what I saw on TWC earlier, I wouldn't be surprised to find out his internet service is done for tonight.

He did promise to give me a phone call...although that might not occur until tomorrow..if he couldn't post.

I'll let you guys know fer sher.

Never yet actually talked to another CFHCer, thou I've come close...what does one say?

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

danielwAdministrator

Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: Frank P. [Re: Mozart]
      #28111 - Wed Sep 15 2004 10:44 PM

I guess that would be the disadvantage in having cable internet. Most cable is strung on poles, where phone lines are mostly underground.

rule
Weather Guru

Re: Nowcast [Re: Kent]
      #28112 - Wed Sep 15 2004 10:45 PM

Sort of off topic, but that was the best laugh I've had all week!

Jamiewx
Storm Tracker

Loc: Orlando, Florida
New Orleans Weather Radio [Re: Wxwatcher2]
      #28113 - Wed Sep 15 2004 10:45 PM

Anyone who is looking for a link for NOAA Weather Radio from New Orleans can find it here. Not sure how much longer it will be broadcasting as it could sustain damage or lose power, i know we lost our weather radio signal during Hurricane Charley.

Edit: Accuweather track brings Jeanne across Florida, and i think Joe B does the forecasting for Tropical Weather, so I wonder if he changed the forecast. Makes me wonder since is quite different to NHC track, but Joe B was right with Ivan.
Accuweather Track

Edited by Jamiewx (Wed Sep 15 2004 10:52 PM)

Fletch
Weather Guru

Reged: Mon
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Re: Mobile NOAA radar [Re: rule]
      #28114 - Wed Sep 15 2004 10:45 PM

Quote:

What the heck is the eye doing? It's opened and merged with an outer dry band? What is going on?

You are right. The SW eyewall has opened up. Dr. Lyons said it may end up a Cat 3 instead of a Cat 4 at landfall.

--------------------
Irwin M. Fletcher

rule
Weather Guru

Re: Frank P. [Re: danielw]
      #28115 - Wed Sep 15 2004 10:46 PM

Did you know Wal-Mart is giving out free dial-up internet service to storm-ravaged areas?

Assuming you still have your dial-up modem...

LI Phil
User

Re: Mobile NOAA radar [Re: Fletch]
      #28116 - Wed Sep 15 2004 10:47 PM

Other than this "missing" Frank P. earlier today, that's the best damn news I've heard all day!

EDIT: not the free internet...the CAT III in case there was any confusion

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

Edited by LI Phil (Wed Sep 15 2004 10:50 PM)

leetdan
Weather Guru

Loc: Osceola County
Re: Mobile NOAA radar [Re: Fletch]
      #28117 - Wed Sep 15 2004 10:51 PM

Yeah... Frances opened up in a similar fashion, but on a much larger scale of course. It looks like this is just a short-term aberration, as it's already starting to close up again in the last few radar frames.

Hopefully it's enough to take some of the punch out.

--------------------
[witty phrase here]

rule
Weather Guru

Re: Mobile NOAA radar [Re: LI Phil]
      #28118 - Wed Sep 15 2004 10:51 PM

Man! Look at this link:

http://radar.weather.gov/radar/loop/DS.p19r0/si.kmob.shtml

Eye is open....

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 459 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 97938

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center