F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 232 (Idalia) , Major: 232 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 232 (Idalia) Major: 232 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | >> (show all)
Thunder
Weather Watcher

Reged: Mon
Loc: Tallahassee, FL
Re: Jeanne likely to hit Florida now! [Re: Rasvar]
      #28017 - Wed Sep 15 2004 09:15 PM

Quote:

Must be difficult for someone with a Florida Gator icon to compliment the FSU Superensemble.

OUCH!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged: Fri
Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Re: I Think Frank This is a New Trend [Re: Unregistered User]
      #28018 - Wed Sep 15 2004 09:17 PM

At least plywood can be taken out with an axe. Some of those storm shutters that get installed are down right impenetrable.

--------------------
Jim

BillD
User

Reged: Wed
Loc: Miami
Re: Jeanne likely to hit Florida now! [Re: Rasvar]
      #28019 - Wed Sep 15 2004 09:17 PM

I was thinking the same thing

It was interesting, however, that in the 5PM discussion on Jeanne, Beven said:

THE FORECAST TRACK IS TO THE LEFT OF
ALL THE DYNAMICAL GUIDANCE SAVE THE GFDL AND FSU SUPERENSEMBLE.

Earlier in the discussion he said that the GFDL was a left outlier that had come slightly more right this last run. As reliable as the FSU Ensemble seems to have been, this makes me a little more nervous. However it is way to early to really predict what is going to happen. Maybe by Saturday we'll have a better idea.

Bill

canerazor

Re: Green Lightning [Re: Unregistered User]
      #28020 - Wed Sep 15 2004 09:18 PM

my mom just jumped un off the porch, thought it was lightning. told her it was another transformer. we've seen afew go out 'round here; we still have power @ 8pm; lot's out in mobile south county. wind gusting in tree tops near hurr force, ground level 40mph or so. we're about 25 miles inland in Mobile though.

lhag
Unregistered

Re: This A Jog East [Re: tpratch]
      #28021 - Wed Sep 15 2004 09:18 PM

Just got back to my computer. Is anyone else having problems accessing the buoy info or do i have another damn virus?

BillD
User

Re: Green Lightning [Re: canerazor]
      #28022 - Wed Sep 15 2004 09:20 PM

As the bands of Frances moved into Miami it was daylight, we couldn't see the flashes, but we could sure hear the POP when they blew. Luckily we never lost power.

Bill

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged: Thu
Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
Re: Jeanne likely to hit Florida now! [Re: berrywr]
      #28023 - Wed Sep 15 2004 09:22 PM

That shortwave trough is giving us LIers some rain and cloudiness today, isn't it weird that the NHC picks up Ivan with the trough but then doesn't think about how that will affect the path of Jeanne. I think their to infatuated with the models, and that they are oblivous to other factors. Don't really want to critize but sometimes I just don't agree with people.

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

BillD
User

Re: This A Jog East [Re: lhag]
      #28024 - Wed Sep 15 2004 09:22 PM

Nope, not you, looks like the NDBC server is having problems. I can't get there either.

Bill

Rasvar
Weather Master

Re: Jeanne likely to hit Florida now! [Re: BillD]
      #28025 - Wed Sep 15 2004 09:23 PM

Latest GFDL has a somewhat improbable oblique entry into Florida somewhere around Jupiter and then shoots it up inland to around Jax. It had been further east this afternoon; but shifted back to a Florida strike.

--------------------
Jim

leetdan
Weather Guru

Loc: Osceola County
Re: Ivan moving on a 020-030 heading now! [Re: berrywr]
      #28026 - Wed Sep 15 2004 09:25 PM

The last few NEXRAD frames have it straightening out a bit, maybe even a slight left wobble being hinted at in the most recent frame. Yes, it's quickly getting to the stage where the wobbles from one scan to the next get awfully meaningful.

--------------------
[witty phrase here]

VandyBrad
Unregistered

Re: Question [Re: leetdan]
      #28027 - Wed Sep 15 2004 09:25 PM

I was curious about this myself earlier this afternoon and after some googling this is what I learned. In the Atlantic they have 6 lists of 21 names that they rotate every six years. If a storm is particularly historic, they retire that name and replace it with a new one six years later. If there is more than 21 storms in a given year, then they move to the greek alphabet (ie. #22 = Alpha, #23 = Beta, etc.). The most on record in the Atlantic is 1933 with 21 (I think 1995 had 19). The pacific is very similar except that several years ago (maybe 15), they actually got to W and decided real quick to add names for X, Y, and Z... they used all 24 that year. After this they kept the first 21 names alternating every 6 years and added X, Y, and Z names that alternate every other year. If they go past 24, then they will revert to the greek alphabet as well. I'm sorry I can't remember the URL for this, but if you search on google for "21 storms" I think you'll find something eventually.

LI Phil
User

Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Jeanne likely to hit Florida now! [Re: Keith234]
      #28028 - Wed Sep 15 2004 09:26 PM

Keith,

I know you mean well, but right now people don't care that we're getting sprinkles while they're staring down the threat of a CAT IV.. Don't worry, someday we'll get "our storm" (might be sooner than later too); also, I'm not exactly sure what you mean about your comments about the NHC...they're the best in the business and I can assure you they're not "infatuated" with models.

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Re: Jeanne likely to hit Florida now! [Re: BillD]
      #28029 - Wed Sep 15 2004 09:26 PM

I know one thing.....I wouldn't use the GFS right now this far out, because it has had right-track bias of late. It has been better the last couple of days, but I just don't think Jeanne has been initialized well, and it may have that problem for a while.

As for worst model performance (sans NGM), the ETA was terrible with Ivan. It had it going into the Yucatan, west of N.O., and is still too far left. Even this close in, the only run that was close to verifying was the 6z. From here on out, it is a Nowcast anyway. In all fairness, this model wasn't designed to predict cat 4 storms. Something to remember though for future storms.

Rasvar
Weather Master

Ivan coverage on ABCNews Now [Re: leetdan]
      #28030 - Wed Sep 15 2004 09:28 PM

If you have digital broadcast capability and your ABC affiliate broadcasts ABCNews Now, they are now broadcasting the ABC affiliate from the Mobile/Pensacola area. I think it is also available in streaming video at http://www.abcnewsnow.com

--------------------
Jim

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Loc: Metairie, LA
Re: Jeanne likely to hit Florida now! [Re: MrSpock]
      #28031 - Wed Sep 15 2004 09:29 PM

Thing about the ETA though was it sniffed out how far W Ivan could get. It was (and is) an outlier, but it and the European had their moments.

Steve

--------------------
MF'n Super Bowl Champions

Wxwatcher2
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc:
Re: Ivan moving on a 020-030 heading now! [Re: leetdan]
      #28032 - Wed Sep 15 2004 09:31 PM

THis will be interesting to see how the eye of the storm reacts to the land mass.
As we've noted on his trip through the islands, Ivan has always dodged the islands except Grenada.
Even the very Western tip of Cuba, he seemed to side step around.
Now, faced with the continental U.S.A. there is no escape.
I'm sure there will be a wobble here and there before landfall.
I'd guess a few miles East of Moblle Bay.
We'll see.

RMagic

Re: Jeanne likely to hit Florida now! [Re: LI Phil]
      #28033 - Wed Sep 15 2004 09:32 PM

Quote:

You guys seem somewhat passionate about your rivalries...

we are.....

sadly it's a wash.....they have rix.....we have zook

:cry:

all joking aside tho best wishes to all those that are affected by this thing. A good friend of the family currently lives and works in destin.....thankfully he decided to evacuate.

--------------------
Go Gators! (but ron zook makes me cry like a baby)

HMY
Unregistered

Re: Ivan moving on a 020-030 heading now! [Re: Wxwatcher2]
      #28034 - Wed Sep 15 2004 09:34 PM

I've been wondering about the land dodging thing. Ivan was so precise around those islands. Is it possible for the hurricane to just skirt around land in the US? How long and far could that last?

Rasvar
Weather Master

Re: Ivan moving on a 020-030 heading now! [Re: HMY]
      #28035 - Wed Sep 15 2004 09:37 PM

It does happen; but since this is almost a 90 degreeangle and there is no real way for it to bounce away from land, they seem to tend to bounce just a little ways. Maybe 5-10 miles max, I would guess. Opal did much the same thing. Looked like a dead hit near Pensacola Beach; but ended up bouncing over towards Ft Walton Beach.

--------------------
Jim

WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

Reged: Mon
Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
8 pm CDT [Re: Rasvar]
      #28036 - Wed Sep 15 2004 09:40 PM

Highest winds on land:
Pensacola NAS sustained at 46 gusts to 55
Lowest Pressure on land:
Grand Bay, AL 29.27"

--------------------
Another typical August:
Hurricane activity is increasing and the Red Sox are choking.

Live weather from my backyard:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLBOYNT4

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | 21 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 137 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 98771

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center