F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 231 (Idalia) , Major: 231 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 231 (Idalia) Major: 231 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | >> (show all)
WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

Reged: Mon
Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Re: The Weather Channel [Re: LI Phil]
      #28583 - Thu Sep 16 2004 10:42 PM

Karl is born.

--------------------
Another typical August:
Hurricane activity is increasing and the Red Sox are choking.

Live weather from my backyard:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLBOYNT4

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Kent
Weather Guru

Reged: Sun
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale
Re: CFHC vs. Steve Lyons... [Re: LI Phil]
      #28584 - Thu Sep 16 2004 10:42 PM Attachment (288 downloads)

Not sure if this is funny...

ok yeah its pretty funny...

see attached

troy2
Storm Tracker

Reged: Sat
Loc: cocoa beach
jeanne [Re: BillD]
      #28585 - Thu Sep 16 2004 10:46 PM

I really hope Jeanne curves out in the Atlantic. She can park just south of Bermuda if she wants. Florida hasnt had a nice clean hurricane swell this season...
Plus I think Florida has used up it's Hurricane minutes a long time ago...

ricisurfs..I sent you a pm

Fletch
Weather Guru

Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
      #28586 - Thu Sep 16 2004 10:46 PM

Quote:

>>> I just wanted to say, personally I have only 2 sources I feel are reliable for my hurricane info, this board, and Dr Steve Lyons.

(Cringing)...Y'all who know me know how I feel about the "great" Dr. Lyons.

I think you should stick with NHC...then CFHC...then Dr. Lyons...in that order

Just came online, but I totally agree. I think Max Mayfield has done a great job trying to keep the hype down. He's no Neil Frank, but he's better than Bob Burpee. Steve Lyons is ok. I don't think he brings much to the table other than repeating what he has heard elsewhere. He doesn't hype which is a good thing.

--------------------
Irwin M. Fletcher

richisurfs
Weather Guru

Reged: Tue
Loc: Indialantic,Florida
Re: Here's irresponsible........ [Re: Unregistered User]
      #28587 - Thu Sep 16 2004 10:46 PM

Debbie, i think you are one good reason of many to back up what Mr. Spock just said, whose views I also share on this matter. You are new to this whole hurricane thing and you are trying to learn because you understand, I'm sure, the devastating effect one of these storms can have on you and your family. if you don't learn to understand what is really going on and find sources that you can really trust than you're bound to believe anything that you might hear about these storms and where they are going...especially national networks that are trying to hype it up. Let me just say I know theAccuweather guys know way more than I could ever hope to know about all of this but don't you think they have a responsibilty to the people who might be directly affected by these storms...especially to the ones like Debbie who are new to it and are trying to learn and understand about them? I've lived in Florida since I was 6 years old and I've learn to deal with hurricanes every season but it's still no fun when one is hanging out in your backyard and you don't know where its going to go. It scares even a seasoned veteran like myself so I can imagine what it does to someone who is first experiencing it.Why needlessly scare people for the sake of a good news story. I know some won't agree with me but I'm sick of being in the path of every storm this year and i don't need some hyped up weather forecaster shouting that yet another one is coming at me Ok, I'l get off my soapbox now....I promise.

WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

TD IVAN [Re: troy2]
      #28589 - Thu Sep 16 2004 10:48 PM

We need to come up with a new term. Check out the yellow cone for TD Ivan, it's not a cone at all, it's a circle. Let's call it a roundabout. Any other suggestions?

--------------------
Another typical August:

Wxwatcher2
Storm Tracker

Loc:
Re: CFHC vs. Steve Lyons... [Re: BillD]
      #28590 - Thu Sep 16 2004 10:49 PM

Quote:

Lyons is not John Hope, but he holds his own. It is not his fault that TWC has deteriorated to the state it is in now.

Bill

That may be true and I'll give him the benefit of the doubt.
I just miss the live cut ins to the NHC in Miami with the updated info.
If the trend continues, every media outlet will have it's own "expert" on staff and at the end of the day I think there needs to be a standard like the NHC. If others like Accuweather want to give a different path of forecast for the storm they should be free to do so but IMO, should reference the NHC's path as a reference.
That won't happen....

Things I learned tonight, Larry King is not a weatherman.....

danielwAdministrator

Reged: Wed
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: CFHC vs. Steve Lyons... [Re: BillD]
      #28591 - Thu Sep 16 2004 10:50 PM

Bill, I couldn't agree with you more. I too think TWC has become way to commercialized. Their promos, "we keep you ahead of the storm", cool promo, but that is why they are The WX Channel. We expect them to keep us ahead of the storm. I'm not cool at all with them putting mets and other personnel into storm conditions. Somebody is going to get hurt, or worse. It may be a live shot too. Unless they are running a "janet jackson" delay on their feeds, and it doesn't look like they are.
The Year From Hell, thanks Phil, may be the last year to see a live shot in storm conditions. If you keep playing with mother nature, she'll return the favor, and she plays hardball!

Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged: Fri
Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Re: TD IVAN [Re: WXMAN RICHIE]
      #28592 - Thu Sep 16 2004 10:51 PM

I'm just waiting to see if Ivan loops the loop. Have not had on yet this year that I can recall.

--------------------
Jim

danielwAdministrator

Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: TD IVAN [Re: WXMAN RICHIE]
      #28593 - Thu Sep 16 2004 10:53 PM

From the last Ivan discussion:
THE INITIAL MOTION IS 025/12. NHC MODEL GUIDANCE HAS CONTINUED TO COME INTO BETTER AGREEMENT THAT Ivan WILL GRADUALLY CURVE NORTHEASTWARD AND THEN EASTWARD...AND DECELERATE THROUGH 48 HR. AFTER THAT... A HIGH AMPLITUDE SURFACE TO MID-LEVEL RIDGE IS FORECAST TO BUILD OVER THE NORTHEASTERN U.S....WHICH WILL ACT TO BLOCK Ivan AND TURN THE REMNANT CIRCULATION SLOWLY SOUTHWESTWARD OVER SOUTH CAROLINA AND GEORGIA.

SINCE THE REMNANT Ivan CIRCULATION WILL REMAIN INTACT...AT LEAST IN THE MID-LEVELS OF THE TROPOSPHERE THROUGHOUT THE FORECAST PERIOD...
A MAJOR RAINFALL EVENT APPEARS LIKELY THE NEXT SEVERAL DAYS OVER MUCH OF THE SOUTHEASTERN U.S. THERE IS ALSO A CONTINUED TORNADO THREAT ACROSS A LARGE PORTION OF THE SOUTHEASTERN UNITED STATES TONIGHT AND FRIDAY.

Edited by danielw (Thu Sep 16 2004 10:57 PM)

Fletch
Weather Guru

Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Re: Here's irresponsible........ [Re: richisurfs]
      #28594 - Thu Sep 16 2004 10:53 PM

Quote:

Debbie, i think you are one good reason of many to back up what Mr. Spock just said, whose views I also share on this mattter. You are new to this whole hurricane thing and you are trying to learn because you understand, I'm sure, the devastating effect one of these storms can have on you and your family. if you don't learn to understand what is really going on and find sources that you can really trust than you're bound to believe anything that you might hear about these storms and where they are going...especially national networks that are trying to hype it up. Let me just say I know theAccuweather guys know way more than I could ever hope to know about all of this but don't you think they have a responsibilty to the people who might be directly affected by these storms...especially to the ones like Debbie who are new to it and are trying to learn and understand about them? I've lived in Florida since I was 6 years old and I've learn to deal with hurricanes every season but it's still no fun when one is hanging out in your backyard and you don't know where its going to go. It scares even a seasoned veteran like myself so I can imagine what it does to someone who is first experiencing it.Why needlessly scare people for the sake of a good news story. I know some won't agree with me but I'm sick of being in the path of every storm this year and i don't need some hyped up weather forecaster shouting that yet another one is coming at me Ok, I'l get off my soapbox now....I promise.

Amen Richi. Living in S FL I am so sick of the news drops of "New storm forms in the Atlantic. It's potential effect on S FL at 11."

Double overhead and glass

--------------------
Irwin M. Fletcher

rugrats4
Unregistered

Re: The Honorable Mr. Kelley... [Re: LI Phil]
      #28595 - Thu Sep 16 2004 10:53 PM

I have been a long time lurker here...this board is so informative, I just want to thank you all for your insight, thoughts and all the help you give those of us without even knowing you are doing it!!
Now to the question on hand. I live in PC, and I can tell you Jason did the new tonight at 5 and yes he has been VERY busy. What he and his partner Greg did for all of us here yesterday and last night cannot be put into words. They kept us going and safe. Power had gone out, even the NOA weather radio was OUT...they were the only station broadcasting, tracking the tornadoes and letting us know exactly where they were and where they were tracking to...it was amazing. Jason and Greg deserve a big THANK YOU and much more from all of us here in the Panhandle, they kept us going.
So from one Bay County citizen to Jason...
YOU WERE A LIFESAVER AND GODBLESS YOU !!!

richisurfs
Weather Guru

Re: CFHC vs. Steve Lyons... [Re: Wxwatcher2]
      #28596 - Thu Sep 16 2004 10:53 PM

"If others like Accuweather want to give a different path of forecast for the storm they should be free to do so but IMO should reference the NHC's path as reference"
Totally true!

LI Phil
User

Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: CFHC vs. Steve Lyons... [Re: Wxwatcher2]
      #28597 - Thu Sep 16 2004 10:54 PM

>>>> Things I learned tonight, Larry King is not a weatherman.....

You guys trying to keep my sleep depravation going? ROFLMFAO.

Can we put Steve Lyons in that category yet?

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

DebbiePSL
Weather Guru

Reged: Thu
Loc: Saint Marys Georgia
Re: Here's irresponsible........ [Re: richisurfs]
      #28598 - Thu Sep 16 2004 10:55 PM

richisurfs, this site has been my salvation so much in the past weeks. I am grateful to you all and eager to learn more from people who have an understanding of what is happening. As for Dr lyons if all he told me is this is where it will land, it was important info to me and I took heed. With that said, I just couldn't deal with some of the news media that had me scared out of my wits. I was prepared for the storm as well as the aftermath thanks to the great info I learned from you wonderful people here. Again thanks to all

richisurfs
Weather Guru

Re: The Honorable Mr. Kelley... [Re: rugrats4]
      #28599 - Thu Sep 16 2004 10:55 PM

Jason is AWESOME!!! Whenever I refer to the "media" I am never refering to him...He's a cut above!

Rasvar
Weather Master

Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Re: CFHC vs. Steve Lyons... [Re: richisurfs]
      #28600 - Thu Sep 16 2004 10:55 PM

Well, reading between the lines on the 11:00PM discussion. I do not see where they have a strong conviction on the forecast, other then it might get stronger. Guess it is just a wait and see how the ridge behaves. My plywood stays up through this weekend.

--------------------
Jim

DebbiePSL
Weather Guru

Reged: Thu
Loc: Saint Marys Georgia
      #28601 - Thu Sep 16 2004 10:57 PM

Let's just put Dr lyons to rest. LOL

Debbie, you don't know how double entrendre-funny that post is...ROFLMFAO

Edited by LI Phil (Thu Sep 16 2004 10:59 PM)

WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

Re: TD IVAN [Re: danielw]
      #28602 - Thu Sep 16 2004 10:58 PM

Check out the models. http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200409_model.html

They go all the way to Kansas City in circles. LI Phil, it looks like NY drivers on the LIE.

Nah, just the 16 year olds from Deer park about to get their licenses...sorry...I HAD TO

--------------------
Another typical August:

Edited by LI Phil (Thu Sep 16 2004 11:02 PM)

BillD
User

Loc: Miami
Re: CFHC vs. Steve Lyons... [Re: danielw]
      #28603 - Thu Sep 16 2004 11:02 PM

During Frances each of the local stations (NBC, CBS, ABC and FOX) each had 2 or 3 reporters each out in the field along the coast, in the wind, with debris flying by them, trees falling and water rising. They were all crazy. The fact that the 10 or 12 of them and their crews escaped injury is amazing. There was one shot of a woman reporter hanging on to a stop sign out in the middle of an intersection hanging on for her life, when a major band came through and the wind picked up unexepectedly, she fell to the gournd and hugged the base of the sign. I don't know how the cameraman didn't blow away. One little 6" piece of metal siding, a coconut or even a tree limb could have taken either of them out in a second. This was all live. I don't get it.

Bill

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 89 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 58547

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center