F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 230 (Idalia) , Major: 230 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 230 (Idalia) Major: 230 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | >> (show all)
LI Phil
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: JB vs the NHC [Re: Rabbit]
      #28540 - Thu Sep 16 2004 08:59 PM

I'm not sure what's up with SSD...the last Dvorak's on TD12 were posted at 1715z (2.0/2.0) and on Jeanne at 1145! I don't think I have a bad link either...anyone got an answer. My take is that unless we get an update, we don't have Karl at 11:00 pm EDT.

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged: Thu
Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
Re: Karl? [Re: Rabbit]
      #28541 - Thu Sep 16 2004 09:01 PM

You think 6 more systems will form, Rabbit the peak of the season was already reached, I'm saying 15 no more no less.

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

richisurfs
Weather Guru

Reged: Tue
Loc: Indialantic,Florida
Re: JB vs the NHC [Re: LI Phil]
      #28543 - Thu Sep 16 2004 09:06 PM

Phil...Just want you to know that i want to keep it on topic. I would never want to contibute anything to the board that made it seem like a chatroom because I HATE chatrooms! I'll keep it on Jeanne from here on out. i do feel though that sharing that gut wrenching feeling that I had when Frances was heading towards us with 145mph sustained winds is pretty relevant to any discussion on here. We can talk about all the TChnical aspects of a storm and what it's gonna do but the emotions we feel when one is coming at you is part of it also. I think about the only thing I'm gonna miss when this hurricane season is over will be the contacts that you lose with people on this site because no one will be posting on here. i feel like everyone is really my friend even though we've never met. I'll be careful though from here on out.

Spazz
Unregistered

Re: JB vs the NHC [Re: richisurfs]
      #28544 - Thu Sep 16 2004 09:10 PM

Relax Richie.............it was my fault for chattin like that and not yours. Since I told LI Phil that I would put a sock in my yap than u be cool and no worries........I gotta cruise anyhow....laterz and all that............I may read for that useful tidbit of 411 but I be keepin quiet. Yo Yo goodnite y'all!

LI Phil
User

richisurfs... [Re: richisurfs]
      #28545 - Thu Sep 16 2004 09:14 PM

Thanks for your understanding...

actually, CFHC really does feel like family. I actually have some plans to visit the boys from PCB at some point (JK, Coop and maybe even Andy1Tom) so you never know.

I know Jav & Frank P. know each other.

You can always put your e-mail address (if you haven't already) in your profile and PM certain posters you think you want to share things with during the "quiet time" (and who's not looking forward to that, huh?" You don't have to make the boards your only "sounding boards..."

I myself am a tad reserved (you're all going, YEAH RIGHT) but I feel like everyone who posts here is family, in some way shape or form. Almost like a 25 HS reunion, if we didn't all have families and responsibilities, I'd almost propose that everyone try to pick a time & date and meet and greet each other some day at some spot...maybe plan a trip to vegas or something...get all our minds off the year from hell. Who knows...I'm not a class mom, so I'm not real good about planning things like that...love to hear from anyone though if they'd be interested in possibly thinking of such a gathering.

I for one would love to meet the faces behind the names.

We could have Jason Kelley give the keynote and Ed could give the nomination speech...and the brothers Cornelius (my thoughts are with you guys right now) could accept the VP and Prez nominations!

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

PFSThunder
Weather Watcher

Reged: Wed
Loc: Charleston, SC
Re: Jeanne [Re: BillD]
      #28546 - Thu Sep 16 2004 09:15 PM

Does anyone have a link to Jeanne. The floater is still on Ivan and I can't find a close view of the storm. Help would be appreciated.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/positions.html

floater 2 is on Jeanne.

--------------------
Go Boilermakers

Edited by LI Phil (Thu Sep 16 2004 09:19 PM)

richisurfs
Weather Guru

Re: JB vs the NHC [Re: Keith234]
      #28547 - Thu Sep 16 2004 09:18 PM

Everyone says Karl will be a fish spinner. I'd like to refer to him as a wave maker hopefully. So far this season, we have been skunked on this coast for waves from any of these. What waves there were have been terrible and besides that whose heart could be into surfing when so much destruction was caused from them.One other thing, they are gonna make a big deal when this season is over about global warming and stuff like that causing this hurricane season to be so bad when really the number of storms and their intensity is not much different than usual. It's just the weather patterns causing more of them to make landfall. Everything goes in cycles and I'm sure this season is not that out of the ordinary if you look over the past hundreds or thousands of years.Of course, I could be totally wrong because I really don't know that much about it.

recmod
Weather Guru

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Karl? [Re: Keith234]
      #28548 - Thu Sep 16 2004 09:21 PM

Keith:
Last year we had 7 storms named after Sept 20.....
Hurricane JUAN 25-29 SEP
Hurricane KATE 25 SEP-07 OCT
Tropical Storm LARRY 02-06 OCT
Tropical Storm MINDY 10-14 OCT
Tropical Storm NICHOLAS 13-23 OCT
Tropical Storm ODETTE 04-07 DEC
Tropical Storm PETER 09-11 DEC

This year is looking like it might continue that trend

--Lou

richisurfs
Weather Guru

Re: richisurfs... [Re: LI Phil]
      #28550 - Thu Sep 16 2004 09:21 PM

Sounds like a good plan Phil!

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Re: richisurfs... [Re: LI Phil]
      #28551 - Thu Sep 16 2004 09:23 PM

Once I get out of school and get my car, that's going to be a production LOL! Anyway I'm watching the weather channel damage report and I can't believe what you guys went through it's un-believeable each time I get more worried of one coming our way and our beaches would be gone. By prayers go out to all you guys that survived this hurricane as today is the new year. Let's hope these hurricanes stop coming by the 25, then we can worry about our snow. Talk to you guys later, got to watch Apprentice, Survivor was awsemone there were canibals there!!

Keith, I wouldn't plan on DRIVING to Vegas from LI...plus who says you're invited (only kidding)

--------------------
Edgar Allan Poe

Edited by LI Phil (Thu Sep 16 2004 09:25 PM)

Keith234
Storm Chaser

#28552 - Thu Sep 16 2004 09:28 PM

I can't believe Tony Blair said that comment of Gobal Warming making hurricanes stronger and landfalling more often. Gobal Warming is not a proven thing, you have to look at many more things besides the strength of hurricanes, some people take months just making the forecast numbers for the season. It seems to me that Politicans don't regard mets as much as they should. Just my opinion, and I am very opinionated.

--------------------
Edgar Allan Poe

richisurfs
Weather Guru

#28553 - Thu Sep 16 2004 09:31 PM

One other thing on the point I was making about global warming...Last night I saw Dr. William Gray on Debra Norville and he began to make make the point I made but of course he was doing it in a much more intelligent way because that guy knows what he is talking about. Anyhow, she cut him off, partly because of time limits but i couldn't help feeling it was also because what he was about to say didn't fit their agenda of getting everyone worked up over this. Once again the media wants their big story to hype.Course it could just be me and my general mistrust of them coming through. If anyone hasn't noticed yet...i got an attitude towards them! .

1stMarDiv
Unregistered

Re: Pensacola? [Re: Unregistered User]
      #28555 - Thu Sep 16 2004 09:45 PM

Quote:

Quote:

The pic is in the pubic domain once published or broadcast.

That's simply not true. For an item to enter the public domain, it must either be placed there explicitly, or according to current US statute, 70 years after the death of the author.

Of course, it may be a work-for-hire. If that's the case, the AP (and sucessors) will essentally hold the copyright forever.

Not something to get worked up over. Here's the dude who actually took the picture:

Sam Upshaw Jr./PensacolaNewsJournal

Copyright 1997-2004 Pensacola News Journal

Besides, people here are adding pictures from all over the place, private and public. I doubt it is an issue. Seems like if this is a public forum, it's no different than cliping magazine articles and mailing them to grandma

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Re: Pensacola? [Re: 1stMarDiv]
      #28556 - Thu Sep 16 2004 09:48 PM

I can't PM anybody, could someone help me?

You might have exceeded your storage limit...try deleting some PMs...that might work...otherwise you'll have to wait until Monday when Mike gets back.

--------------------
Edgar Allan Poe

Edited by LI Phil (Thu Sep 16 2004 09:51 PM)

Rasvar
Weather Master

Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Jeanne breakin the law! [Re: 1stMarDiv]
      #28557 - Thu Sep 16 2004 09:50 PM

You know, I would have expeceted Jeanne to be looking worse or at most keeping the status quo while she is where she his. Granted it is IR presentation; but it seems like she has been improving.

Then again, maybe she is getting more ragged. Eye looks better but looking ragged in other areas.

--------------------
Jim

Edited by Rasvar (Thu Sep 16 2004 09:52 PM)

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Re: Pensacola? [Re: Keith234]
      #28558 - Thu Sep 16 2004 09:52 PM

I'll try that.

--------------------
Edgar Allan Poe

richisurfs
Weather Guru

Re: Pensacola? [Re: Keith234]
      #28559 - Thu Sep 16 2004 09:55 PM

I realize that I'm a total layman at this but I just took a look at the computer models on Weatherunderground. I know they may not be the most current but not one of them are showing Jeanne running over Florida whereas yesterday some(at least one I think) did. Since I am a Floridian, that is good news for me and all Floridians at this point. I sure don't wish any storm on anyone else but geez, does anyone not agree that we have had enough? The models all seem to be way more in agreement with each other...of course, since we are talking about a hurricane here I know thats all subject to change. By the way. I hope Jason is ok...I'm sure he is...anybody know?

meto
Weather Guru

Reged: Wed
Re: Jeanne breakin the law! [Re: Rasvar]
      #28560 - Thu Sep 16 2004 09:57 PM

its amazing she looks so good. she could become stronger than thought before.

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Re: Pensacola? [Re: richisurfs]
      #28561 - Thu Sep 16 2004 09:59 PM

I got to take another look at the models, only looked at this mornings and afternoons but things will continue to change with the models, it's too far out as I learned from Scottsvb, a great poster.

--------------------
Edgar Allan Poe

LI Phil
User

The Honorable Mr. Kelley... [Re: richisurfs]
      #28562 - Thu Sep 16 2004 10:02 PM

>>> I hope Jason is ok...I'm sure he is...anybody know?

He shot me a PM yesterday after the twister nearly took out WJHG yesterday...haven't heard from him today, but that could be because there's no power...haven't heard from Coop either, but Andy1Tom did post today...Panama City Beach took a pretty hard hit.

I'm sure Jason will post when he can...for all we know, the storm induced his wife into labor and he could be the proud pappy of his third child right now.

If anyone out there knows, though, do let the boards know.

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 54 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 58522

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center