F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> Hurricane History

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
Sadie
Weather Watcher

Reged: Fri
Loc: Arcadia, FL
Charley Project
      #28549 - Thu Sep 16 2004 09:21 PM

I am doing an Earth Science project on Hurricane Charley's impact on my hometown of Arcadia and surrounding Desoto County. I'm looking for any kind of street level map that would show the path of Charley across this area.

Wish I'd found this board before Charley. I've just spent some time reading the Talkbacks from then. Many of you called this one long before we heard it on TV. That was a day that will go in the top five of my life. Being a horse trainer and responsible for 16, we were more prepared than most, but not prepared enough. Everything was locked down, horses out and tagged, supplies laid in and we had planned to ride it out, but when they finally reported a Cat 4 in Charlotte Harbor, we barely got the front gate shut (took two men) and to where we planned to shelter (just in case -- thank God we had a plan) before we were in the middle of hell. The drive back home was the longest I ever made (2 miles) and when I saw all alive and well and the house still standing (small limb in bedroom) I broke down and cried.

So when choosing a subject for the Earth Sciene paper, it didn't take much thought. If anyone has some suggestions on maps, they would be greatly appreciated. The best one I've found only covers Orange Co. (web page) but it's a good example of what I'm looking for. Also would like a really awesome b/w image of Charley making landfall.

Thanks for all you do, you help so many.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged: Thu
Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
Re: Charley Project [Re: Sadie]
      #28554 - Thu Sep 16 2004 09:34 PM

Hi how you doing Sadie, I used to ride horses too for about 2 years, then I fell off and broke my leg couldn't ride anymore. I don't have any info on Charley but I took Earth Science a couple of years ago and if you like weather thats the class you want to be in. It's an excellent class, hope you have a great time and a good grade on your project!

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

ClarkModerator
Meteorologist

Reged: Wed
Loc:
      #28633 - Thu Sep 16 2004 11:56 PM

Here's a black and white photograph of the storm (and entire Gulf of Mexico) as it was making landfall: http://www.floridadisaster.org/eoc/eoc_Activations/Charley04/Reports/G8GMVS.jpg

A color photo similar to that may be found at: http://www.osei.noaa.gov/Events/Tropical/Atlantic/2004/TRCchar226_G12.jpg

Unfortunately, I wasn't able to find a swath of the storm passing through Desoto County, not at the level of detail of the Orange County graphic. A general state-wide swath is available from: http://www.floridadisaster.org/eoc/eoc_Activations/Charley04/Reports/HVAC_CharleySwath.jpg

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Sadie
Weather Watcher

Re: Charley Project [Re: Clark]
      #29017 - Sat Sep 18 2004 12:39 PM

Thanks for the welcome Keith. Sorry about the leg. But as I tell my customers, 'This isn't ping pong.' Why don't you try it again sometime?

Clarke, thanks so much for the links. They are most helpful. When I see the data available for Francis and Ivan and others since Charley it's apparent that while this is a high anxiety summer, it's also a great learning experience. At least it has been for me. My new motto? 'Know thine enemy!!'

--------------------
"...Grandmother the Earth. That power is here all the time. It is continuous, and nobody controls it." Wallace Black Elk, Lakota

Keith234
Storm Chaser

#29021 - Sat Sep 18 2004 01:00 PM

I'm like the person in the Seabiscut movie, only I was doing a jump that my horse was afraid of, he freaked out and I go flung from it and fell onto the ground. The horse then tripped and landed on my leg. I was knocked out for 2 days, and I'm about ready to try it again! I never give up.

--------------------
Edgar Allan Poe

Sadie
Weather Watcher

Re: Charley Project [Re: Keith234]
      #29114 - Sat Sep 18 2004 06:12 PM

Hey Keith, those are the hardest falls to over come. The ones where you CAN'T get back on. Believe me, I know. We have a saying around here, "You have two choices, get back on the horse or go to the hospital." It's never good when it's the latter. But find a nice quiet horse (the very best kind) and give it another try!

If anyone would like to see an absolutely gorgeous photo of what Charley looked like when he passed over your head, use this link. It took me days, but the Great God Google finally produced what I was looking for. Sat images of Charley as he crossed Florida There are 31 images, so you can get pretty close to any point where Charlie met Florida. It the archive from NOAA's Environmental Visualization Program.

--------------------
"...Grandmother the Earth. That power is here all the time. It is continuous, and nobody controls it." Wallace Black Elk, Lakota

Keith234
Storm Chaser

#29124 - Sat Sep 18 2004 06:26 PM

Thanks for the advice and those pics are awesmone, you're going to get a good grade for sure, you really picked the right topic!

--------------------
Edgar Allan Poe

leetdan
Weather Guru

Reged: Wed
Loc: Osceola County
      #29230 - Sun Sep 19 2004 10:02 AM

Might Skeetobite still have some of his maps that he made for Charley? I'm not sure if he'd have updated them with the actual vs forecasted path, but a map like the one he makes sounds just like what you're looking for.

--------------------
[witty phrase here]

Sadie
Weather Watcher

Re: Charley Project [Re: leetdan]
      #33315 - Wed Sep 29 2004 03:30 PM

Hey Leetdan, still looking for a 'witty phrase', huh? Skeetobite is working on it but I know he's been just a tad busy lately. What would we do without him? I see he has already done one for Polk County.

I also have a couple more questions. First, during Jeanne I came across a reference to SHIPPS models for storm intensity inland. Can any one tell me where to find these? Is there an archive?

Also, there were several excellent links posted from SFWMD. They were all storm specific to Jeanne. I can't find how to access them thru the SFWMD site, also tried to back track them but no luck. Need directions to these archives too.

If anyone knows, it would be greatly appreciated. My research is progressing, but this info would sure help.

--------------------

LI Phil
User

Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
      #33316 - Wed Sep 29 2004 03:51 PM

Here's a link to our own discussion in the days prior to and days after Charley made landfall...you might find some of the information you are looking for in the posts themselves...

Good luck.

http://forums.flhurricane.com/cyclone/sh...2&fpart=all

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Re: Charley Project [Re: LI Phil]
      #33586 - Tue Oct 05 2004 06:34 AM

http://www.recmod.com/hurricane/hurricane2004.html

This might help too, Recomd from this website made it. Go check it out!

--------------------
Edgar Allan Poe

Edited by Keith234 (Wed Oct 06 2004 08:52 PM)

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 9362

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center