F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 233 (Idalia) , Major: 233 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 233 (Idalia) Major: 233 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | >> (show all)
OrlandoDan
Weather Master

Reged: Mon
Loc: Longwood, FL
Re: chaos reigns supreme [Re: MrSpock]
      #28915 - Fri Sep 17 2004 07:05 PM

The Dvorak really shows Jeanne. Look to the north of the Dominican Republic and Haiti border:

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float-bd-loop.html

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
OrlandoDan
Weather Master

Re: chaos reigns supreme [Re: OrlandoDan]
      #28916 - Fri Sep 17 2004 07:10 PM

Accuweather still shows a radically different track from the NHC:

http://hurricane.accuweather.com/adcbin/...ve&partner=

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
      #28917 - Fri Sep 17 2004 07:12 PM

The 18Z ETA shows the same thing as the 12Z, redeveloping a center off of the Hatteras coast, moving it into N.E. Fla, while doing the Fujiwahra thing with Jeanne, which is well offshore.

The GFS is doing the same thing as 12Z, leaving a little piece behind, but taking most of it into the North Atlantic, then getting Jeanne trapped well offshore before it finally moves N.E and out to sea.

In other words, both are consistent with their earlier runs, which don't agree with one another.
Ask me next week what happened, I might be able to tell you.

Edited by MrSpock (Fri Sep 17 2004 07:16 PM)

FireAng85
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Sat
Loc: Mount Dora, FL 32757
      #28918 - Fri Sep 17 2004 07:12 PM

OrlandoDan, that's the track I was referring to. I am soooo confused...............
I did take my plywood down yesterday, but I did leave them on the ground by the windows. I don't know if I'm coming or going.

--------------------
Angie Robertson
OCFRD
"So others may live"

recmod
Weather Guru

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Is Jeanne Strengthening...???? [Re: FireAng85]
      #28919 - Fri Sep 17 2004 07:20 PM

The latest vortex message has flight level winds up to 49 knots...using the 90% rule...doesn't that translate to a 45knot tropical strom...????????????

URNT12 KNHC 172210
VORTEX DATA MESSAGE
A. 17/2210Z
B. 20 DEG 08 MIN N
71 DEG 47 MIN W
C. NA
D. 40 KT
E. 041 DEG 45 NM
F. 108 DEG 49 KT
G. 041 DEG 045 NM
H. EXTRAP 1000 MB
I. 23 C/ 461 M
J. 24 C/ 459 M
K. 23 C/ NA
L. NA
M. NA
N. 12345/01
O. 0.1/5 NM
P. AF977 0511A JEANNE OB 19
MAX FL WIND 49 KT MAX FL WIND 49 KT N QUAD 2131Z. SLP EXTRAP FROM 1500FT.

OrlandoDan
Weather Master

Re: chaos reigns supreme [Re: FireAng85]
      #28920 - Fri Sep 17 2004 07:25 PM

I too have done the exact same. The plywood is leaning up against the house. It was way too depressing with it all up. Whatever, I will keep my eye on jeanne. I fear tornadoes on the N/NE sideof the storm even if it is a CAT 1 at landfall. Who knows. I will watch, listen, and read this board to stay informed.

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Re: Is Jeanne Strengthening...???? [Re: recmod]
      #28921 - Fri Sep 17 2004 07:26 PM

yep, and if you watch the IR loop convection continues to fire off to the East of the center... but she looks to be fighting some shear from the SW, and still awful close to land...I think her development might cap off soon unless she can get some distance from the island, and the shear also lets up somewhat...

LI Phil
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Is Jeanne Strengthening...???? [Re: Frank P]
      #28922 - Fri Sep 17 2004 07:37 PM

Jeanne sure is strengthening...even more impressive on the WV loops...wonder what the models will say tomorrow?

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged: Thu
Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
Jeanne, like Mr. Earl [Re: Frank P]
      #28923 - Fri Sep 17 2004 07:42 PM

Remeber when we had a false alarm with Earl, almsot everyone thought it was going to develop and would makes its way over to Florida but that never happened. Maybe Jeanne could do just that and get out of our way. This one is one doozy of a forecast, hopefully it will just disetergrate into the air from which it came from.

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

OrlandoDan
Weather Master

Re: Jeanne, like Mr. Earl [Re: Keith234]
      #28924 - Fri Sep 17 2004 07:47 PM

I have been lurking on this site for years, but only registered recently. I have learned a great deal from the experts on this board. I prefer to listen to figure out what will happen to Jeanne. I place a great deal of confidence in the NHC, but not 5 days out. I don't place any confidence in anything 5 days out for that matter.

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Re: Is Jeanne Strengthening...???? [Re: LI Phil]
      #28925 - Fri Sep 17 2004 08:00 PM

You got that TUTT right near Jeanne, that should provide some shear for that storm, you can see that LLC and the clouds being connected with the TUTT indicating the prevailing atmospheric flow near there. Until that dies down, that shear is going to be present, it might premantly impair the storm of cyclogenesis, yeah!

--------------------
Edgar Allan Poe

GaGirl
Unregistered

Re: Jeanne, like Mr. Earl [Re: OrlandoDan]
      #28926 - Fri Sep 17 2004 08:06 PM

O.K. We have really been lucky here on the Ga coast. (about 100 yrs. worth of good luck) This morning it looked like Jeanne might pay us a visit, but now it looks like our Ga luck is still in place. Personally I think she's about run her last race. As for Ivan, even with the models gone haywire, he's history too in my opinion. I guess we will all see soon enough. Just to let you all know: I have really enjoyed this sight and it has been very helpful, not only to me, but hundreds of OTHER lurkers out there. Just thought I'd put my two cents in!

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Loc: Metairie, LA
Re: Is Jeanne Strengthening...???? [Re: Keith234]
      #28927 - Fri Sep 17 2004 08:13 PM

Sorry Spock - must have been Agent or someone else I had you confused with. I read 2 threads (hundreds of posts) with only one browser open so that's the error here.
-------------------------------------------------
For the question about Joe B, he is what he is. He's a master of pattern recognition and is a very dedicated tropical forecaster. His columns and videos are worth my $15 a month during tropical season. I got hooked on his take when all that used to be free (pre-2003 season).

FWIW, his current thinking is that Jeanne comes N or NNW slowly for the next few days, stalls, gets forced back WSW and either crosses over or S of FL. He thinks (assuming survival) that it makes Cat 2ish status there. Ivan gets out south of Jersey and creates gales to its north as it comes back down the coast (watch for potential development if the center - still intact - gets out over water). Ultimately Ivan backs SW into the Central Gulf and changes the windflow patterns. Jeanne, meanwhile, makes her hit (or brushby) and then heads round about toward New Orleans ala Andrew, Betsy, & 1947. I don't think he expects Jeanne backing until 5-6 days out, so the threat is really after next weekend.

Steve

--------------------
MF'n Super Bowl Champions

Dawn
Weather Watcher

Reged: Sun
Loc: St. Petersburg FL
      #28928 - Fri Sep 17 2004 08:16 PM

This is the first Friday in a month I come from work and go to the grocery store and actually walk the aisle and shop without worry if it will spoil.
This month has been hell, I work for a major Home Improvement Store, I order Paint and Hardware, since Charlie I can not get back in stock, I have had grown men cry when I did not have something they needed or wanted, I was so stressed this last month till today I went to the grocery store and was not in a hurry or surrounded by a crowd buying any all things that were not nailed down.

All I really wanted to say is Jeanee can do what she wants this weekend, I am going to relax, check with you all over the weekend, then if needed go back into stress and why do they (the company) think I do not need this or that product and send me things I don't need.

Will take down plywood all the way around the house when the weather is looking good for more than 2 weeks. My husband and I were talking and agreed that it has been really guiet in Central Florida for many years, me being a native and him here since 1972, we both agreed and so did John Wilson on WTVT13 that the next 25 years are going to be active, we have been lucky and will continue to be so if people will not wait till the last minute.

Plan, buy, save and do not return. You may need it next weekend.

Sorry If I went off base, but you all are great, have been a source of well versed post with knowledge I wish I had but learning.

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Re: Is Jeanne Strengthening...???? [Re: Steve]
      #28929 - Fri Sep 17 2004 08:22 PM

No problem...
A lot of tornadoes in the D.C. metro area, and in the watches. One warning mentioned 2 were on the ground, and what roads to avoid. 100 miles east, and it is dry.
If it comes off of the Jersey coast I may get into some of that action.

Look at all of the warnings out there as of 8:21 on the link
http://www.erh.noaa.gov/er/phi/
This is a post with an expiration date I guess.

Edited by MrSpock (Fri Sep 17 2004 08:24 PM)

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Re: Is Jeanne Strengthening...???? [Re: MrSpock]
      #28930 - Fri Sep 17 2004 08:51 PM

Hope you guys if the D.C area are okay, Tornado outbreak occuring, reports of 3 tornados in the area. Watch out Mr. Spock these things are coming for you.

--------------------
Edgar Allan Poe

Edited by Keith234 (Fri Sep 17 2004 09:20 PM)

Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged: Fri
Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Re: Is Jeanne Strengthening...???? [Re: Keith234]
      #28934 - Fri Sep 17 2004 09:26 PM

I was surprised that NHC did what they did with the forecast. With as much confusion that was out there, it almost seems like it might have been best to keep the prior forecast in place until things settle out. I doubt what they changed to will verify any more then what they had before.

--------------------
Jim

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Re: Is Jeanne Strengthening...???? [Re: Rasvar]
      #28935 - Fri Sep 17 2004 09:50 PM

Jeanne is showing a little westward drift during the last several IR loops... SW shear is pounding her but she's doing her best to fight it off... very determined this gal is..... if this shear were to let up, she'd take off.... her LLC is quite healthy at the moment...

Old Sailor
Storm Tracker

Loc: Florida
      #28936 - Fri Sep 17 2004 10:00 PM

Hi Everybody,

Been away for a while also was in the GOM wasn't fun but that is life, I hate to being this up but still have connections with US Navy after 30yrs , some of their models for Navy eyes only shows Jeanne could be going to LA/TX as a Cat3 hit in 7 to 9 days. Old saying never say never.

Dave

Keith234
Storm Chaser

#28937 - Fri Sep 17 2004 10:05 PM

I agree with you Rasavar, it's not a wise idea to change a forecast admist much confusion. They should stick to one forecast until the remmants of Ivan make more sense to were they're going. Looks like they will first head out to sea following the trough, then they will get caught up in the ridge and move southwest, then have a fujihawara affect with Jeanne, proprelling her to the Carolinas. As Ed said, the north track of the hurricane is very dubious.

--------------------
Edgar Allan Poe

Edited by Keith234 (Fri Sep 17 2004 10:32 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 264 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 54323

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center