F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 236 (Idalia) , Major: 236 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 236 (Idalia) Major: 236 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)
SoonerShawn
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Pearland,Tx
ticka1 [Re: ticka1]
      #29632 - Wed Sep 22 2004 03:09 PM

I think it will actually go south of us into Corpus or even south of there. If it goes in around Corpus than it should be close enough to help give us some rain.However, I still believe most of the rain we will see in the next couple of days will be a result of the cool front coming in and not from the gulf system.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Tracking 5 systems... [Re: SoonerShawn]
      #29634 - Wed Sep 22 2004 03:13 PM

Well...well...well.

5 systems on the board today...

Let's start with Jeanne...models are again showing good agreement with her...finally...she's strengthening again and now looks to be taking a shot at NC...even JB has come around to this line of thinking...anything to spare Fl another hit. Of course, this means that eventually LI may be at risk...fine with me if it spares FL of a hit, but I'd much prefer she just head out to sea. Way to early for even the NC call, and I'm not saying Florida is out of the woods yet...must be watched closely.

Karl...nothing to say except...bye bye...enjoy spinning the fishes!

Lisa...little tiny bit of a storm...looks to track west for at least a few more days, then hopefully join Karl to have a fish fry...unless...

93L envelopes her...It's huge and it's right behind her...will be interesting to see if a little Fujiwhara action takes place there...T#s 1.5/1.5, so it's not ready to get TD status anytime soon.

94L...the leftover Ivan...I'm thinking this one has a very good shot at becoming Matthew as a strong TS/weak Hur, possibly even getting a name as soon as today; even though the T#s are also 1.5/1.5...haven't looked at the recon plan for today, wonder if they'll be sending in a plane to investigate? I would think that under normal circumstances there would be no recon (as it's not even classified, per se), but it being in the warm gulf maybe they would. I've been disagreeing with JB recently, but I'm gonna go with him on this one and think it does develop and make a run at the TX/LA border towards the weekend.

Phew...at least nothing is imminent!

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Unregistered

Re: 94L [Re: SoonerShawn]
      #29635 - Wed Sep 22 2004 03:15 PM

Shawn, you are fooling no one. And it will be more than a depression. Bank on it.

#Teal61
Unregistered

Re: 94L [Re: 8675309]
      #29636 - Wed Sep 22 2004 03:19 PM

SATELLITE IMAGES...ALONG WITH SHIP AND BUOY REPORTS...INDICATE THE
LOW PRESSURE AREA IN THE CENTRAL GULF OF MEXICO MAY BE ORGANIZING
INTO A TROPICAL CYCLONE. SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS HAVE DEVELOPED
NEAR THE SURFACE CENTER THIS MORNING...AND WIND GUSTS TO TROPICAL
STORM FORCE HAVE BEEN REPORTED. UPPER-LEVEL WINDS ARE CURRENTLY
ONLY MARGINALLY FAVORABLE FOR ADDITIONAL DEVELOPMENT TO OCCUR...BUT
CONDITIONS MAY BECOME MORE FAVORABLE BY THURSDAY AS THE SYSTEM
MOVES WEST-NORTHWESTWARD AT 10 TO 15 MPH. INTERESTS ALONG THE NORTH
CENTRAL AND NORTHWESTERN GULF COAST AND OVER ADJACENT WATERS SHOULD
CLOSELY MONITOR THE PROGRESS OF THIS WEATHER SYSTEM DURING THE NEXT
FEW DAYS. AN AIR FORCE RESERVE RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT IS SCHEDULED
TO INVESTIGATE THE SYSTEM THIS AFTERNOON.

Redbird1
Unregistered

Re: T-numbers on 94L [Re: LI Phil]
      #29637 - Wed Sep 22 2004 03:19 PM

I concur with the other poster after all you devote your time to helping us out down here.....................

I'm sure glad rickonboat turned up safely..............I was getting kind of worried.

Allison
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Laredo, Texas
Re: 94L [Re: #Teal61]
      #29638 - Wed Sep 22 2004 03:22 PM

Quote:

SATELLITE IMAGES...ALONG WITH SHIP AND BUOY REPORTS...INDICATE THE
LOW PRESSURE AREA IN THE CENTRAL GULF OF MEXICO MAY BE ORGANIZING
INTO A TROPICAL CYCLONE. SHOWERS AND THUNDERSTORMS HAVE DEVELOPED
NEAR THE SURFACE CENTER THIS MORNING...AND WIND GUSTS TO TROPICAL
STORM FORCE HAVE BEEN REPORTED. UPPER-LEVEL WINDS ARE CURRENTLY
ONLY MARGINALLY FAVORABLE FOR ADDITIONAL DEVELOPMENT TO OCCUR...BUT
CONDITIONS MAY BECOME MORE FAVORABLE BY THURSDAY AS THE SYSTEM
MOVES WEST-NORTHWESTWARD AT 10 TO 15 MPH. INTERESTS ALONG THE NORTH
CENTRAL AND NORTHWESTERN GULF COAST AND OVER ADJACENT WATERS SHOULD
CLOSELY MONITOR THE PROGRESS OF THIS WEATHER SYSTEM DURING THE NEXT
FEW DAYS. AN AIR FORCE RESERVE RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT IS SCHEDULED
TO INVESTIGATE THE SYSTEM THIS AFTERNOON.

Teal: can you post a link to this, please?

Nevermind... I saw it in the TWO...

Thanks!

Allison

Edited by Allison (Wed Sep 22 2004 03:48 PM)

SoonerShawn
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
94L [Re: Redbird1]
      #29639 - Wed Sep 22 2004 03:22 PM

FXUS64 KLCH 221428
AFDLCH

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE LAKE CHARLES LA
928 AM CDT WED SEP 22 2004

.UPDATE...
The inverted trough (wave-in-the-easterlies) is misbehaving over the
northeast Gulf of Mexico. Special raob releases for noon and midnight
have been requested by the National Hurricane Center until further
notice. I will retain the "Coastal Flood Watch" and "Small Craft
Advisory". Otherwise, stay tuned!

Hmmmmm....

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Re: 94L [Re: #Teal61]
      #29641 - Wed Sep 22 2004 03:24 PM

Thank you very much Redbird1!

>>> AN AIR FORCE RESERVE RECONNAISSANCE AIRCRAFT IS SCHEDULED TO INVESTIGATE THE SYSTEM THIS AFTERNOON.

Well, there's my answer...

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

SoonerShawn
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Re: 94L [Re: LI Phil]
      #29642 - Wed Sep 22 2004 03:26 PM

AREA FORECAST DISCUSSION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE CORPUS CHRISTI TX
1000 AM CDT WED SEP 22 2004

.DISCUSSION...ALL EYES ARE NOW ON THE DISTURBANCE IN THE EASTERN
GULF. THE SYSTEM MAY BE A TROPICAL CYCLONE BY THIS AFTN OR TNT.
BLV THE SOUTHWESTERLY SHEAR ALOFT MAY PREVENT IT FROM STRENGTHENING
TOO MUCH AND WL LKLY KEEP MOST OF THE CONVECTION OF THE NRN
SEMICIRCLE WITH LTL TO NO CONVECTION ON THE SOUTHERN SEMICIRCLE.
MOST OF THE GUIDANCE TAKES THIS SYSTEM TWDS THE MIDDLE AND UPR TX
COASTLINE BY TMW AND FRI AND THEN SLOW IT DOWN ONCE IT REACHES THE
NW GULF. WE WL CONTINUE TO MONITOR.

I guess I'm not the only one who thinks it will not get that strong.

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Tracking 5 systems... [Re: LI Phil]
      #29643 - Wed Sep 22 2004 03:26 PM

I agree with ya Phil (been a while though.. hehe)

system in the GOM starting to develop nice LLC signature in spite of overwhelming odds fighting the still quite strong SW shear from the ULL off in the BOC...

my opinion is that this also has the chance to make it to a strong TS or weak hurricane in the northwestern GOM.... especially if it slows down any as it tries to pull away from the shear... wow, what a year this has been....

Redbird1
Unregistered

Re: 94L [Re: LI Phil]
      #29644 - Wed Sep 22 2004 03:28 PM

My best advice for those in my area......near the cape would be to get your places boarded up and restock your food and water as it seems like Jeanne is headed for this area..........no chance of a hurricane free weekend anytime soon. I don't want to see LI get any of this either. The northeast is soaked as it is. Let's all go to Canada.

Allison
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: 94L [Re: Redbird1]
      #29645 - Wed Sep 22 2004 03:30 PM

It looks like one of the floaters may now be on 94L... check out the most recent 3-4 frames (image nos. 146-148)...

http://www.cira.colostate.edu/ramm/rmsdsol/RSOMAIN.HTML

Allison

Edited by Allison (Wed Sep 22 2004 03:31 PM)

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Re: Tracking 5 systems... [Re: Frank P]
      #29646 - Wed Sep 22 2004 03:35 PM

Quote:

I agree with ya Phil (been a while though.. hehe)

system in the GOM starting to develop nice LLC signature in spite of overwhelming odds fighting the still quite strong SW shear from the ULL off in the BOC...

my opinion is that this also has the chance to make it to a strong TS or weak hurricane in the northwestern GOM.... especially if it slows down any as it tries to pull away from the shear... wow, what a year this has been....

Uh oh. When Frank P. & I agree on something then it's bound to be WRONG! Actually, I've been pretty lucky with some recent calls, with my new South Beach diet forbidding the ingestion of copious amounts of crow...however, I've been known to cheat on every new diet...so it's only a matter of time.

The ghost of Ivan is not going to die an easy death...bastid. (humming Phil Collins' "Against All Odds":

And you coming back to me is against all odds and that’s what I’ve got to face...I wish I could just make you turn around

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
      #29647 - Wed Sep 22 2004 03:41 PM

""Uh oh. When Frank P. & I agree on something then it's bound to be WRONG! ""' too funny

Hey man I've been hot as a fire cracker with Frances and Ivan... and maybe we'll both be right with the.....

"return of Ivan", or
the son of Ivan, or
Ivan part deaux.....

Allison
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: 94L [Re: SoonerShawn]
      #29648 - Wed Sep 22 2004 03:42 PM

From the "For What It's Worth" department...

This is off the website for KHOU in Houston (Dr. Neil Frank's crew)...

A difficult forecast for Southeast Texas the next five days. A tropical system may develop into a depression or tropical storm this week and move west toward Texas by the end of the week. Also moving toward the area is a new cool front expected to move into the area late Friday/early Saturday. The question mark in the forecast is how all of these factors will work together. At best much needed rain will move into the area on Thursday and stick around through Saturday. Again much uncertainty in the forecast.

Uncertainty, indeed...

Allison

Redbird1
Unregistered

#29650 - Wed Sep 22 2004 03:45 PM

How can anyone living in a food paradise such as NYC not be expected to cheat on a diet? Live down here and you will waste away as the food pickins are slim.

Redbird1
Unregistered

Re: Tracking 5 systems... [Re: Frank P]
      #29651 - Wed Sep 22 2004 03:46 PM

You have been right about a lot of things so why not this?

Ricreig
User

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Fl
Re: Tracking 5 systems... [Re: Redbird1]
      #29652 - Wed Sep 22 2004 04:07 PM

Quote:

How can anyone living in a food paradise such as NYC not be expected to cheat on a diet? Live down here and you will waste away as the food pickins are slim.

Oh yeah? When am I going to start wasting my 275 lbs away? If you like hot-dogs, I guess Yankee food is fine, or even steak subs, but for real cookin' you need to be in the South, deep south. Maybe that is why there is such an abundance of hurricanes here in Florida this year, they've heard about our good food. Yeah, that's it, our warm water, abundant sunshine and Sourthern hospitality....maybe that has something to do with the so-called land avoidance Ivan seemed to perform. It was trying to get into the deep south wasting as little energy as possible in the process. I guess he figured the penensula of Florida had too many Yankees in it so went to Alabama and the panhandle direct to the heart of good Southern cookin'

Just kidding Phil. There is at *least* one good Yankee living in Long Island

--------------------
Richard
A forecast is NOT a promise!

Redbird1
Unregistered

Re: Tracking 5 systems... [Re: Ricreig]
      #29653 - Wed Sep 22 2004 04:14 PM

Hey Ric I should have said our little hamlet in central florida was food deprived. I would be eatin for days up there with all the Jewish delis and Pizza shops not to mention the Chinese foods. Bagel shops on every corner. Now that is good eating.

Ricreig
User

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Fl
      #29654 - Wed Sep 22 2004 04:27 PM

Quote:

5 systems on the board today...

Let's start with Jeanne...models are again showing good agreement with her...finally...she's strengthening again and now looks to be taking a shot at NC...even JB has come around to this line of thinking...anything to spare Fl another hit. Of course, this means that eventually LI may be at risk...fine with me if it spares FL of a hit, but I'd much prefer she just head out to sea. Way to early for even the NC call, and I'm not saying Florida is out of the woods yet...must be watched closely.

Phil, I'm not directing this AT you, just TO you. I told my boss early last week that I felt this would happen. I am not at all sure that the westward movement forecast to begin within the next 12-24 hours will, in fact, after 72 or so hours begin a turn to the NW...at least not in time to avoid Florida. Models are now tending much more westard and a few suggest a Fla landfall. This far into the future, models are not a very good guide nor are forecasts for that matter. I think that Scottvb in his forecast recently posted, seems to agree with this 'feeling' I've expressed, so with regard to the forecast that it will turn NW 'in time' to avoid another Florida landfall:

I'm not betting on it. Overall confidence in forecasts beyond 2 days is very low this year and in some cases, confidence in forecasts beyond 6 hours is suspect. In the case of Charley, while forecasts 3 days into the future said landfall near Punta Gorda, by 36 hours, it had shifted to W of Tampa, then by about 24 hrs said Tampa area or slightly north. By noon on the landfall date, it was still pointing at Tampa. By 6 hours, it was obvious to all but the official forecasters that it was 50-60 miles off or more and within a few hours had already hit an hour or so south of the forecast.

Please don't tell me to expect it to turn in time to avoid Florida, hope, yes, expect, definitely not. I'm darned tired of packing, moving my valuables, thankfully being able to return, only to have to do it again and yet again and possibly yet a 4th time. I was lucky that my mobile home suffered little damage unlike 10 of my neighbors that lost it all with Charley. It was dented and bruised by their roofs and awnings and other debris, but it survived. Yes, I did move my stuff out of my mobile home 3 times so far and twice was hit either directly (Charley) or in the NE quadrant of another (Frances). Ivan was a 'certain hit' for Florida and as a CAT-IV at the time, no matter where it hit in Florida (other than the panhandle) meant packing my valuables once again. You don't want to wait till it starts raining.

Well this time, I never unpacked but moving a trunk load at a time is exhausting for an old man like me. I had my 62nd birthday Sept 4 when Charley arrived in the area.

IF this sounds like berating the forecasters, I assure you it is NOT. The state of the forecasting 'art' is just such that this season has dictated not only 3 (4 maybe) good reasons for me to evacuate my mobile home and the forecast accuracy has been such that I would have been a fool not to as the Orlando area at some point was directly affected by 2 storms or was forecast to be affected directly by another (Ivan) and possibly yet another. I am fortunate that Ivan's initial forecasts showing paths through or near Orlando proved inaccurate, but I hate the fact that it spared me at the expense of my friends north and west of here.

We'll see what happens, but for the moment, stuff stays packed and hopefully time remains to move it to safer quarters will remain when the path of this storm *finally* is identified accurately enough to make the evacuation decision timely.

Someone asked me why don't I evacuate and leave my stuff so it can be replaced by insurance. Have you ever tried to get hurricane insurance on a mobile home? I could replace most of my stuff for the price of the premium... No thank you. I can't think of anything more of a scam than insurance. Its getting so bad that even if you can afford the premium, the deductables approximate the average loss for all but those suffering full destruction of their home. My boss, who gave me refuge during my evacuations, had a tree fall on his house. The tree belonged to a neighbor so his insurance wouldn't pay for removal, The neighbors insurance wouldn't pay because it fell onto her neighbors property, not her own. The damage to his house didn't exceed the new deductables for hurricane damage. So, the policy was worth zero, nada. Of course, had the whole house been demolished, *then* he would have gotten something, but not a new house...with co-insurance and deductables, maybe 75% coverage remained. Yeah, it's a racket. Yeah, I'm bitter and I wasn't even the one to suffer the loss. My loss was only days lost from work, the gas used to transport my stuff and enough anxioty to shorten my few remaining years of life by God onlyl knows how much! Doctors say stress kills....If it does, I'm on borrowed time.

Maybe Jeanne will do it? Take my remaining time, I mean....Just venting, but I think a lot of my fellow Floridians feel much the same way...both about getting hit again and about wishing it on our neighbors to the north.

--------------------
Richard
A forecast is NOT a promise!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 96 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 41356

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center