F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 233 (Idalia) , Major: 233 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 233 (Idalia) Major: 233 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | >> (show all)
Redbird
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Wed
Loc: Central Florida
Re: Ivan Is Reborn [Re: Ricreig]
      #29901 - Wed Sep 22 2004 08:39 PM

That would be very helpful as those in Orlando and the coastal regions need bottom line facts in order to make some hard decisions. I hate the idea of possibly having to split again so soon but will if it keeps us safe.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged: Thu
Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
Re: Jeanne Vortex Message [Re: Redbird]
      #29902 - Wed Sep 22 2004 08:41 PM

Have you ever been in the city Redbird? There's a food cart every 20 feet, literally. Some places are known for their good food but only a LIer would know where that is unless you don't visit the city often. I'd be skeptical to get food from a food cart, who know's what they put in them!

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

Ricreig
User

Reged: Sat
Loc: Orlando, Fl
Re: Matthew, aka Hannibal the cannibal? [Re: LI Phil]
      #29903 - Wed Sep 22 2004 08:41 PM

Quote:

If whatever is behind Lisa swallows her whole, it should be named Hannibal (screw the fact that we already had Hermine) not Matthew.

Hannibal the Cannibal Sounds right anyhow....

--------------------
Richard
A forecast is NOT a promise!

Ricreig
User

Re: Ivan Is Reborn [Re: Redbird]
      #29904 - Wed Sep 22 2004 08:46 PM

Quote:

That would be very helpful as those in Orlando and the coastal regions need bottom line facts in order to make some hard decisions. I hate the idea of possibly having to split again so soon but will if it keeps us safe.

Well, FACTS may be a bit strong of a word in that it is just a forecast and more than 3 days into the future at that, and we all know how accurate this years forecasts have been. Still, it would be nice to make some initial, tenative plans based upon the information his maps provide us. As his maps are *based* upon official NHC forecasts and not his own speculation, they are very valuable as they depict the *current* thinking of the NHC official forecasts.

--------------------
Richard

Redbird
Weather Hobbyist

#29905 - Wed Sep 22 2004 08:49 PM

Okay general info would be helpful and I meant to communicate that.............just a little frazzled right now like the rest of us in this tired leaky boat. Phil usually hooks us up with good 411..................after he grabs a bite to eat, we should see it.

Allison
Weather Guru

Reged: Tue
Loc: Laredo, Texas
Re: Jeanne an Annual Hurricane? [Re: Clark]
      #29906 - Wed Sep 22 2004 08:49 PM

We've been talking alot about Jeanne's effect on Haiti, so I thought some of you might find this interesting... and hopefully not too OT...

http://news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&am...deforestation_3

--------------------
Allison

Ricreig
User

Jeanne better turn... [Re: Redbird]
      #29907 - Wed Sep 22 2004 08:51 PM

CHANCES OF CENTER OF THE HURRICANE PASSING WITHIN 65 NAUTICAL MILES
OF LISTED LOCATIONS THROUGH 2PM EDT SAT SEP 25 2004

LOCATION A B C D E LOCATION A B C D E

25.9N 70.8W 74 X X X 74 FT PIERCE FL X X 1 8 9
26.1N 72.2W 37 4 X X 41 COCOA BEACH FL X X X 8 8
26.5N 74.1W 1 19 2 1 23 DAYTONA BEACH FL X X X 6 6
MWCG 193N 814W X X X 2 2 JACKSONVILLE FL X X X 4 4
MUGM 200N 751W X X X 2 2 SAVANNAH GA X X X 3 3

If it doesn't turn, it looks like somewhere between Ft Pierce and Daytona are prime candidates for a landfall. Pray for a turn ... no make that a reverse loop ... out to sea.

--------------------
Richard

LI Phil
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Time to dis TWC [Re: Ricreig]
      #29908 - Wed Sep 22 2004 08:54 PM

I've remarked on this before, but why does TWC insist on running "Storm Stories" when we have weather concerns? And another thing that pisses me off is they keep showing that ridiculous video from 1991 where, facing a F0 (Fujita scale) tornado, a bunch of folks seek refuge under a bridge. THIS IS THE WORST PLACE TO SEEK SHELTER during a tornado; anything stronger and we wouldn't have that video, they'd be dead.

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl.
Re: lisa? [Re: LI Phil]
      #29909 - Wed Sep 22 2004 08:56 PM

i was trying to figure out where did she go? that was a very quick die out... lisa?

--------------------
www.Stormhunter7.com ***see my flight into Hurricane Ike ***
Wx Data: KFLPANAM23 / CW8771
2012== 23/10/9/5 sys/strms/hurr/majh

SoonerShawn
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Pearland,Tx
Want to hear something funny? [Re: Ricreig]
      #29910 - Wed Sep 22 2004 08:57 PM

Henry Margusity's Column
POSTED: 8:05 p.m. September 22, 2004

The thoughts expressed in this column represent Henry Margusity's personal speculation. While they are considered in formulating Accuweather forecasts, the opinions of many other Accuweather meteorologists are also considered.

This discussion is updated only the days that Henry is available, usually Monday-Friday. Check the date above and come back often!

8pm Update

I would pay anything to hear the debate at the NHC on why they decided to call the storm Ivan again. Hello, not a good move. On the other side of the coin, a great move. Why, now people will take the storm seriously along the Texas coast when they face a possible hurricane in 36 hours. Just watch what happens folks as the storm explodes prior to landfall.

More tomorrow on this fun filled weather pattern

I guess everyone at Accuweather has to try and be like JB. There is only one JB.

No way this guy will be right!

recmod
Weather Guru

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Latest Model Runs....Not Again, Florida! [Re: LI Phil]
      #29911 - Wed Sep 22 2004 08:58 PM

Look at the latest model runs from Weather Underground. All but one now show a Florida landfall

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200411_model.html

I just took down all the plywood from my house yesterday (that's how confident I was about Jeanne...ugh!) I'm beginning to regret that decision

--Lou

Allison
Weather Guru

Re: Time to dis TWC [Re: LI Phil]
      #29912 - Wed Sep 22 2004 09:02 PM

Quote:

I've remarked on this before, but why does TWC insist on running "Storm Stories" when we have weather concerns?

Absolutely! At the very least, they could break in during commercials and provide updates.... maybe "Local on the 8's" at the bottom of the hour or something....

Quote:

And another thing that pisses me off is they keep showing that ridiculous video from 1991 where, facing a F0 (Fujita scale) tornado, a bunch of folks seek refuge under a bridge. THIS IS THE WORST PLACE TO SEEK SHELTER during a tornado; anything stronger and we wouldn't have that video, they'd be dead.

LOL... I agree... it's like showing video of people playing golf in a thunderstorm... or something equally ridiculous....

Nevertheless, I must say that I am fascinated by that video every time I see it....

--------------------
Allison

Ricreig
User

Re: Latest Model Runs....Not Again, Florida! [Re: recmod]
      #29913 - Wed Sep 22 2004 09:02 PM

Quote:

Look at the latest model runs from Weather Underground. All but one now show a Florida landfall

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200411_model.html

I just took down all the plywood from my house yesterday (that's how confident I was about Jeanne...ugh!) I'm beginning to regret that decision

--Lou

Yes Lou, and if you'd wash your car, it would only rain. But no, you *had* to take down the plywood, didn't you?

--------------------
Richard

CentralFlorida
Weather Watcher

Loc: Port Richey FL
      #29914 - Wed Sep 22 2004 09:03 PM

rec i got tired of putting up the plywood and taking them off every weedend since Frances I've just kept the plywood up. Hurricane season a little half over Im staying boarded lol.
kinda dark in here someone turn on the light.

--------------------
Survived Charley, Jeanne, Frances, Ivan and my Wife

h2ocean
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Fri
Loc: South Merritt Island, FL
      #29915 - Wed Sep 22 2004 09:04 PM

Yeah recmod, I was going to take down the hurricane panels on MOnday but I thought...I better wait a few more days to see what Jeanne does. Hopefully we won't need them. Also, I must say Joe Bastardi did a pretty good job on both Ivan and Jeanne...I know a lot of people thought he was insane when he said Ivan would back down the coast and go into the Gulf and reform. He also said Jeanne would make landfall...initially he said it would go into the Gulf which may not be right on, but MUCH closer than a lot of others. It will be interesting to see how this pans out.

--------------------
Merritt Island, FL Home Weather Station

SoonerShawn
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Pearland,Tx
Jeanne [Re: recmod]
      #29916 - Wed Sep 22 2004 09:04 PM

I know my attention is on Ivan right now but what kind of games is the BAMM trying to play concerning Jeanne? Come on, it has it taking a track right over Florida and out into the gulf but then has it turn right back around and go over the same place again. This is not funny. It is insane. I pray that does not happen.

SkeetoBiteAdministrator
Master of Maps

Loc: Lakeland, FL
      #29917 - Wed Sep 22 2004 09:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Waiting for Jeanne to commit to her forecast track and will update the map.

Somehow, I don't think she will commit. How about a map showing the windfield between the closest currently forecast locations to give us inlanders and coastal people who've already seen more than enough some indication of what *might* happen if the forecast verifies. Otherwise, me thinks that because it probably won't commit, none of your most valuable maps will have been rendered. I actually used one of your maps at my (college) school to convince the dean to let our students off so they could either flee or find shelter....twice now in fact.

The greatest concern in rendering these maps is in providing meaningful information. When the forecast path is in question, folks can be startled very easily when you start showing them street names.

Once (if) Jeanne decides to turn due west or NNW, we'll crank up the map programs and update with each advisory.

Allison
Weather Guru

Re: Want to hear something funny? [Re: SoonerShawn]
      #29918 - Wed Sep 22 2004 09:06 PM

Quote:

Why, now people will take the storm seriously along the Texas coast when they face a possible hurricane in 36 hours. Just watch what happens folks as the storm explodes prior to landfall.

No way this guy will be right!

Please tell me you're knockin' on wood right now...

--------------------
Allison

Redbird
Weather Hobbyist

Re: Ivan Is Reborn [Re: SkeetoBite]
      #29919 - Wed Sep 22 2004 09:10 PM

Thanks Skeet..................we appreciate this a lot!

Clark
Meteorologist

Loc:
Alas... [Re: MikeC]
      #29920 - Wed Sep 22 2004 09:12 PM

We won't have 5 named storms in the basin.

The death knell has sounded for Lisa. It wasn't her big brother Karl that did her in, it's her kid brother TD 14/Matthew that has done it. I imagine advisories will be dropped after 11pm -- or at the latest, 5am, barring any redevelopment.

In any case, 4 is quite a feat -- and one you don't see all that often. And Ivan -- time for me to eat a bit of crow on this one. But, with an upper low to it's south, I don't think it's got too much strengthening before it makes landfall. Hopefully it'll get caught up in that broad trough in the west and never bother anyone again after this.

Karl's behaving nicely, like all storms should this time of year. And Jeanne -- she's not behaving so nicely, like every other storm this year. Models are coming into agreement on a Florida landfall again -- there's a storm that took a path like this into Florida about 20-25yr ago, but I don't recall the name -- but we'll see how long that holds. Thankfully she's more akin in areal expanse to Charley than Ivan or Frances, but it's not good news that we are even talking about another landfall. I'd love to see NHC forecast track error verification once this one's done.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 282 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: ****
Topic views: 54781

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center