F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 237 (Idalia) , Major: 237 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 237 (Idalia) Major: 237 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | >> (show all)
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Parrish Fl
Re: It never ends!!! [Re: rule]
      #29941 - Thu Sep 23 2004 01:53 AM

those are excellent photos, unbelievable devastation!

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tampa
Re: It never ends!!! [Re: rule]
      #29942 - Thu Sep 23 2004 01:55 AM

Not sure if anyone saw MSN's idea of destruction and devastation.

http://cagle.slate.msn.com/news/Hurricanes/main.asp

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

rule
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Ocala, Florida
Re: It never ends!!! [Re: 52255225]
      #29943 - Thu Sep 23 2004 01:56 AM

There's a video link just below the radar picture. Kind of hard to see.

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Ivan Is Reborn [Re: SkeetoBite]
      #29944 - Thu Sep 23 2004 02:10 AM Attachment (245 downloads)

It is worth noting that the official forecast track has an average 5-day error of 429 miles with Jeanne. The AVN has been the best performer, with an average 5-day error of just 150 miles. None of the other models I'm looking at have come close; next closest is the 5-day climatology & persistence (CLIPER) model at 261 miles at 5 days, which shows you how bad things have been.

Nonetheless, I've attached a plot I created with StormTrakker 6 (beta) depicting all available model runs of Jeanne. I've noted a few of the big ones on the map itself. There is a small cluster of models that turns the system off of the Florida coast, a much larger grouping that turns the system very near the Florida coast or over the state itself, and another small grouping that takes the storm across the state into the Gulf.

Of note is the AVN path, which is a hybrid of Frances' until you get to Osceola County and Charley's thereafter through Orlando and out to sea again, as well as the GFDL path, which skirts almost the Space & First Coasts. The BAM-series consensus is also noted, which probably isn't needed, but shows a path across the state.

Based upon the available guidance, I'd expect the track to be shifted a bit further to the left at 11pm. Note that all of these model runs are from 9/22 12Z, 9/22 18Z, or 9/23 00Z, depending upon the model.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Daytonaman
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Port Orange, FL
Re: Jeanne better turn ... [Re: LI Phil]
      #29945 - Thu Sep 23 2004 02:10 AM

When you apply the latest forecast points on the Dvorak Infrared Loop.... Dvorak Infrared Loop ....you get a sick feeling that Jeanne is just smiling evilly at us.

Bruce
Port Orange, FL

--------------------
Bruce
Port Orange, FL
29.14 80.99
Thanks to all who work so hard to teach those of us without the knowledge but the thirst to know.

SoonerShawn
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Pearland,Tx
Ivan [Re: Daytonaman]
      #29946 - Thu Sep 23 2004 02:13 AM

It looks like storms are trying to fire up pretty close around the center of Ivan. He just doesn't seem to want to die.

Ricreig
User

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Fl
Re: Jeanne better turn ... [Re: Daytonaman]
      #29947 - Thu Sep 23 2004 02:13 AM

Quote:

When you apply the latest forecast points on the Dvorak Infrared Loop.... Dvorak Infrared Loop ....you get a sick feeling that Jeanne is just smiling evilly at us.

Bruce
Port Orange, FL

Wow, a female cyclops...now I really know we're in need of a little voodoo...this thing ain't human!

--------------------
Richard
A forecast is NOT a promise!

h2ocean
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: South Merritt Island, FL
      #29948 - Thu Sep 23 2004 02:14 AM

I love tracking storms, but I can honestly say, I am ready for winter! I have been staying up way too late waiting for the 11pm updates and later model runs. I get up early before work to run and lift...and this is just wearing on me! I am sure others can relate.

--------------------
Merritt Island, FL Home Weather Station

Edited by h2ocean (Thu Sep 23 2004 02:18 AM)

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: Ivan-wind profile [Re: rule]
      #29949 - Thu Sep 23 2004 02:16 AM

New Orleans Nexrad Wind Profiler is indicating maximum winds, in the radar coverage area, have increased to 40kts at 3000 to 5000ft above ground level.
Winds are from the ESE from the surface to 26,000ft. At 28,000ft the wind (shear) is from the South at 5kts, increasing to 35kt southerly winds at 40,000ft.

Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Re: Ivan Is Reborn [Re: Clark]
      #29950 - Thu Sep 23 2004 02:18 AM

Quote:

Of note is the AVN path, which is a hybrid of Frances' until you get to Osceola County and Charley's thereafter through Orlando and out to sea again

Trust me, I noticed that one. It looks like a goto this house and turn right. With the arrow pointing at my house. Of course, it is getting to be old hat this season. Just crossing fingers that the models will shift back east tomorrow.

--------------------
Jim

RedingtonBeachGuy

Reged:
Loc: St. Cloud, FL
Re: Jeanne better turn ... [Re: Ricreig]
      #29951 - Thu Sep 23 2004 02:21 AM

Every single cain close to Florida this year has been forcast to the right but the cain went left of the forcast track except the day of landfall (most cases).

I would bet (based on the above) that Jeanne continues on a more left track meaning central florida up could see her wrath.

Fletch
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Re: Ivan Is Reborn [Re: h2ocean]
      #29952 - Thu Sep 23 2004 02:24 AM

Quote:

I love tracking storms, but I can honestly say, I am ready for winter! I have been staying up way too late waiting for the 11pm updates and later model runs. I get up early before work to run and lift...and this is just wearing on me! I am sure others can relate.

My body wakes up every day between 4:55 and 5:10 to catch the new advisory. No alarm needed. I'm not liking that!!

--------------------
Irwin M. Fletcher

Ricreig
User

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Fl
Re: Ivan Is Reborn [Re: Rasvar]
      #29953 - Thu Sep 23 2004 02:25 AM

Quote:

[
Trust me, I noticed that one. It looks like a goto this house and turn right. With the arrow pointing at my house. Of course, it is getting to be old hat this season. Just crossing fingers that the models will shift back east tomorrow.

One really good thing abut it pointing at your hous 5 days out: So far this season at least, whatever it pointed at 5 days out has been relatively dry and calm. To counter balance the warm fuzzy feeling that brings, all year it seems that the models all shift left (read West) much more than right....That means it probably *will* go over your house on the way to mine....Oh well. Que Sierra Sierra

Hey, Skeetobite! I really need those maps if I'm gonna get Friday off to move my stuff back to my boss's garage...again! I'm afraid Saturday will be too late....it'll be raining by then and a tad windy....

--------------------
Richard
A forecast is NOT a promise!

SkeetoBiteAdministrator
Master of Maps

Reged:
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: Ivan Is Reborn [Re: Ricreig]
      #29954 - Thu Sep 23 2004 02:28 AM

Quote:

Hey, Skeetobite! I really need those maps if I'm gonna get Friday off to move my stuff back to my boss's garage...again! I'm afraid Saturday will be too late....it'll be raining by then and a tad windy....

Patience...

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Ivan Is Reborn [Re: Ricreig]
      #29955 - Thu Sep 23 2004 02:29 AM

Richard,

Like many of us, staying up WAY past the normal beddy-bye time has become the norm...now I need to see Skeeter's maps as well.

I'm sure as soon as the 11:00's come out, he'll have them for us.

Must be the season of the witch...(bonus points)

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

jaybythebay
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Mobile,Al
Ivan retire name or not ? [Re: Ricreig]
      #29956 - Thu Sep 23 2004 02:29 AM

Will hurricane center reitire Ivan or not ?

Votes accepted from (Tue Apr 23 2024 09:18 PM) to (No end specified)
View the results of this poll

SoonerShawn
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Pearland,Tx
danielw [Re: danielw]
      #29957 - Thu Sep 23 2004 02:30 AM

Please help the less experienced.

Does that translate to alot of shearing going on or does it mean something else?

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
      #29958 - Thu Sep 23 2004 02:31 AM

Patience...

You must be kidding! Right?
After this season we'll have our own wing, at a hospital, where we'll be patients.

Edited by danielw (Thu Sep 23 2004 02:34 AM)

recmod
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Ivan retire name or not ? [Re: jaybythebay]
      #29959 - Thu Sep 23 2004 02:31 AM

They can't retire him until he dies...
watch him go inland at Texas, turn east and come back off the East Coast....lol....we'll still be tracking Ivan in November

--Lou

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Ivan retire name or not ? [Re: jaybythebay]
      #29960 - Thu Sep 23 2004 02:31 AM

dude,

how can you even ask that? I can't believe they even brought the name back to begin with.

RETIRED!

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 64 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: ****
Topic views: 54541

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center