F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 201 (Idalia) , Major: 201 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 201 (Idalia) Major: 201 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Steering Currents
      #30195 - Thu Sep 23 2004 11:14 AM

4:40pm Update
5PM Advisories are coming in and the forecast track has shifted a little westward. More to come soon.

3:30pm Update
The Northwestern Bahamas are now under a hurricane watch.

Original Update:

Hurricane Jeanne and Tropical Storm Ivan are the areas of most concern right now.

With Jeanne there is both good and bad news. The bad news is that the steering currents are still weak, and the forecast still makes Florida a target... and we should definitely watch it here in Florida. The slow movement, however, puts a lot of question marks on where exactly it may go.

I know many will be watching its wobbles wondering if it is a trend or not, persistance is the key doing that. Don't read too much into it until a definite movement overal a few hours has occured.

(Thanks Skeetobite)

The National Hurricane Center has moved the forecast track a bit left again and I don't see any reason to doubt it other than the general slow movement of the storm. Since it is moving so slowly things can change, so we all must watch it.

The current timeline is on Sunday if the track verifies.

The good news is that Jeanne probably won't be more than a category 2 storm at landfall, which is enough to cause problems similar to Frances. However, with all the uncertainty with the slow movement it would be prudent to heed warning and advisories that may come up. Prepare a bit and plan actions if Hurricane Watches or Warnings are set up on advice of local agencies.

Ivan has strengthened this morning to a 60MPH Tropical storm, but winds won't be Ivan Part ]['s claim to fame this time. More on Ivan later. Steering currents are weak for Ivan as well, so we may still not be done with Ivan even after it landfalls on the TX/LA coastline.

Lisa and Karl still are Fish Spinners, but the system behind Lisa will need to be watched later on.

More to come.

Event Related Links
Hurricane Local Statements for Weather Offices in:
All Current Hurricane Local Statements

Ivan Models -- This image animated over time
Jeanne Models -- This image animated over time
Karl Models -- This image animated over time
Lisa Models -- This image animated over time
Jeanne Sphagehtti Model from BoatUS/Hurricane Alley
Ivan Plots from Weather Underground
Jeanne Plots from Weather Underground
Jeanne Satelllite Image with track/radar Overlays

Forecast Discussions for (Show All Locations):
Tampa. Miami, Key West, Jacksonville.
Melbourne

General Links

NRL Monterey Marine Meteorology Division Forecast Track of Active Systems (Good Forecast Track Graphic and Satellite Photos)

Check the Storm Forum from time to time for comments on any new developing system.

Follow worldwide SST evolution here:

Global SST Animation

NASA GHCC Interactive Satellite images at:

North Atlantic Visible (Daytime Only), Infrared, Water Vapor
LSU Sat images

Some forecast models:
NGM, AVN, MRF, ETA ECMWF
AVN, CMC, GFDL, JMA, NOGAPS, UKMET

DoD Weather Models (NOGAPS, AVN, MRF)

Multi-model plots from WREL

Other commentary at Independentwx.com, Robert Lightbown/Crown Weather Tropical Update Accuweather's Joe Bastardi (now subcriber only unfortunately), Hurricane Alley North Atlantic Page, Cyclomax (Rich B.), Hurricane City , mpittweather , Gary Gray's Millennium Weather, storm2k, Barometer Bob's Hurricane Hollow, Snonut,
Even more on the links page.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
lois
Unregistered

when does next nogaps come out, does anyone know n/t [Re: MikeC]
      #30201 - Thu Sep 23 2004 11:25 AM

waiting to see

Wxwatcher2
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc:
Re: when does next nogaps come out, does anyone know n/t [Re: lois]
      #30202 - Thu Sep 23 2004 11:31 AM

This could be worse than Frances if it stays just off the coast and batters the beaches all the way up through Fl,Ga,SC and NC.

I think the attitude with most Floridians is simply one of
resigned readiness.

I have a feeling Jeanne may turn before the coast but it's just my gut feeling.
So far this season, the halo of protection that seemed to be over the peninsula of Florida for so many years has seemed to evaporate.

Hope for the Best.
I'll be away from the computer for awhile...my best to everyone on the board. See you on the other side of Jeanne

Colleen A.

Reged: Sat
Loc: Florida
Re: Steering Currents [Re: MikeC]
      #30203 - Thu Sep 23 2004 11:32 AM

I just emailed a friend of mine who does work at Mayport Naval Station. They'll know more than we do (and faster) and if he emails me back saying that they're moving ships out to sea, I think that might give you an idea. If they DON'T move the ships out to sea......it might make you sick to your stomach.
Might not hear back from him immediately, but when I do, I'll let you know.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

AdmittedHacker
Unregistered

#30204 - Thu Sep 23 2004 11:32 AM

lt sure looks to me after watching both the IR and WV loops over the last couple of hours that the eye is heading NW, not west... is it eye wobble from this ERC..? Perhaps but I don't think so.

Will the approaching wave push it back south onto the latest NHC track?... who knows. But it does seem to already be a little more north of the predicted path...

AdmittedHacker

leetdan
Weather Guru

Reged: Wed
Loc: Osceola County
Re: when does next nogaps come out, does anyone know n/t [Re: Wxwatcher2]
      #30205 - Thu Sep 23 2004 11:35 AM

True. The surf has been huge the last few days, with the storm mostly north and east of us the Bahamas weren't there to block the swells. It's only going to get worse the closer this thing gets, and frankly we aren't going to have much beach left no matter when it curves north.

There's still debris all over the place in Palm Beach, as numb as I've become to hurricanes this season I still have a pretty sick feeling about Jeanne.

--------------------
[witty phrase here]

Tally
Unregistered

#30206 - Thu Sep 23 2004 11:36 AM

Has anyone seen the FSU Super Ensemble track for Jeanne today?

LI Phil
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Ugh [Re: lois]
      #30207 - Thu Sep 23 2004 11:37 AM

The insanity continues...get this...JB has thrown the idea out that Ivan, after he landfalls a second time, will be forced back out into the GOM, possibly near the AL/FL border, where he originally went in...THEN could redevelop again in the GOM... Since he nailed the return of Ivan before, I would give credence to this possibility...good lord.

There is no good news for FL east coast residents, unfortunately. My crow munching forecast will be given this afternoon...but I will throw out the possibility that Jeanne will become a MAJOR cane and landfall as such...in Florida.

I urge, make that STRONGLY urge, all you guys (and you know who you are) to bring your preps to fruition now! Get the shutters BACK up, supplies handy, cash on hand, and the car gassed up. By now you know the drill so I don't have to remind you.

Anxiously awaiting Skeeter's next map...

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

leetdan
Weather Guru

Reged: Wed
Loc: Osceola County
Re: Steering Currents [Re: Colleen A.]
      #30208 - Thu Sep 23 2004 11:37 AM

Isn't it the other way around? Sea ports are generally emptied out ahead of the storm, the damage a freighter (or destroyer) could cause being washed onshore would be absurd. I'm failry sure Mayport isn't sheltered enough, and protocol is to put out to sea if they expect a hit.

--------------------
[witty phrase here]

cmdebbie
Unregistered

#30209 - Thu Sep 23 2004 11:38 AM

Quote:

As for firsts, here's another one. I have a better chance of determining the outcome of Scott Peterson's trial than I do of determining where Jeanne will make landfall.

So, Colleen...out of curiosity, what are your predictions for the Scott Peterson trial?

LI Phil
User

Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Steering Currents [Re: cmdebbie]
      #30210 - Thu Sep 23 2004 11:44 AM

Quote:

Quote:

As for firsts, here's another one. I have a better chance of determining the outcome of Scott Peterson's trial than I do of determining where Jeanne will make landfall.

So, Colleen...out of curiosity, what are your predictions for the Scott Peterson trial?

I'll take a stab at this...he's to die for!

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

Reged: Mon
Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Climatology Says.... [Re: cmdebbie]
      #30211 - Thu Sep 23 2004 11:45 AM

At the end of the last thread, Ed in VA posted that climatology shows that in September, cat 1 and 2 storms never hit FL from this position. True, but what if she is a cat 3 ?

--------------------
Another typical August:
Hurricane activity is increasing and the Red Sox are choking.

Live weather from my backyard:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLBOYNT4

Liz L.
Weather Watcher

Loc: St Cloud, Florida
      #30213 - Thu Sep 23 2004 11:46 AM

its 11:40 am here in st cloud (45 some miles from melbourne) waiting for the 12 o'clock news to find some info out. very very calm weather here today. I just finished putting my boards back up and checking the rest of my supplies. I am set the kids are set and my house is set. All i can say is head the warnings that you are given cause you never know what can happen. Yes i am scared but what can i do? Prepare prepare prepare. No notices of Emergency management places opening as of yet but i predict they will this evening into the morning. Thank god the City of St cloud came and removed all the dead branches garbage and etc fromt he past storms. drainage ditches are finally clear and well hopefully we wont get 2 ft of rain on my street this time. It was a terrible thing to walk downthe street in so much water. Thanks again for all your wonderful insights here. all of your ino has helped out n the past and i know will continue in the future. Keep it up guys!

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

hard time with Jeanne [Re: LI Phil]
      #30214 - Thu Sep 23 2004 11:47 AM

Been struggling over Jeanne like most and I'm having a hard time determining where she might go... However, the season's trend for Florida have been on the left solution, and because of that, and the underselling of the Bermuda ridge all season by most of the models, I really think (at the moment) this WILL BE another FLORIDA event... space coast looks as good a spot as any right now... this has been a really tough one to call... but that's where I'm leaning at the moment, however, unlike Frances, I think if anything it could be more north of the Space Coast as opposed to south like Frances was... still to early.. need to see some data on the ridge and what's expected of it during the next 3-5 days..

LoisCane
Veteran Storm Chaser

Loc: South Florida
Re: Climatology Out the window this year [Re: WXMAN RICHIE]
      #30215 - Thu Sep 23 2004 11:49 AM

havent you noticed??

http://orca.rsmas.miami.edu/wximages/jet/1_05/anis.html

high built in strong from nne of jeanne
new part of high building in on nnw side if u ask me
u judge

where does bastardi think it will hit i wonder
didnt know he was big in intensity forecasting

notice as colleen said.. no one is talking where as much as intensity suddenly

--------------------
http://hurricaneharbor.blogspot.com/

leo
Unregistered

Re: Ugh [Re: LI Phil]
      #30216 - Thu Sep 23 2004 11:49 AM

Hey,
We are on the Georgia coast between Savannah and Jax. Do any of you think Jeanne will have an impact on our area? We're in a sort of sort of tucked in area of the coastline and usually get missed by the hurricanes.

Kdubs
Weather Watcher

Reged: Thu
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Steering Currents [Re: LI Phil]
      #30217 - Thu Sep 23 2004 11:50 AM

Hey Phil,

I forgot to tell you a while back, CFHC was also mentioned in an article in Newsweek, I believe the second one after Charley. I will look it up and let you know the issue.

--------------------
South Orlando
God Bless
A B C D E F G H I J K L
Bold = Reached hurricane status
Italics = Impacted Florida

Colleen A.

Reged: Sat
Loc: Florida
Re: Steering Currents [Re: leetdan]
      #30218 - Thu Sep 23 2004 11:50 AM

Maybe I didn't phrase it right, here's what I meant to say:

If Mayport sends it ships out to sea, then yes, they would be expecting a hit. I believe (and with all the storms we've had, I could be wrong) that he said the ships were about to go out to sea when Frances was approaching and at the last minute they cancelled it. That was because Frances turned and hit the central East coast of Florida and was forecast to go across the state, not UP the state as previously believed. I don't think they ever did anything with Ivan because Ivan was never expected to be a east coast storm, so I'm pretty sure it was Frances.

If they believe the same scenario that happened with Frances will occur with Jeanne, then they more than likely would NOT move them out to sea, as she would pose no catastrophic threat to the ships. They made it through Frances and I'm sure they've seen worse out at sea on a regular trip. Of course, they will have information sooner than we will, so I would *guess* that they are preparing the ships to go out and they have 4 days until it even hits Central/South Florida, so I don't know exactly how soon they would make the decision to go out to sea. It's a lot of manpower and a 24 hour job, so they don't just do it to do it.
So, what I mean when I said if they "don't" move the ships out to sea it will make you sick to your stomach was that they don't expect it to have a large effect on Mayport Naval Station.
Hope I cleared that up.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

SkeetoBiteAdministrator
Master of Maps

Reged: Sun
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Sunday & Monday [Re: MikeC]
      #30219 - Thu Sep 23 2004 11:51 AM

Jeanne's long weekend get away (up close & personal):

Includes true scale wind fields (maritime)

Full size available here: www.skeetobite.com/weather

jth
Storm Tracker

Re: Ugh [Re: LI Phil]
      #30220 - Thu Sep 23 2004 11:51 AM

Are you saying he thinks it could make another landfall in the North central Gulf????

I posed this scenario on the previous thread, but did not see a response. Will Ivan go down on record with the most landfalls???

Edited by jth (Thu Sep 23 2004 11:52 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 211 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 39860

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center