F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 201 (Idalia) , Major: 201 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 201 (Idalia) Major: 201 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)
Colleen A.

Reged: Sat
Loc: Florida
Is Jeanne Growing? [Re: LI Phil]
      #30262 - Thu Sep 23 2004 01:15 PM

Looks like Jeanne is becoming larger on the last loops...I also noticed that if you mark the "forecast points" on the GOES Floater, it appears to be moving a little north of due west. Will have to wait and see if that's a trend or not. Hopefully, it's a trend and she'll start turning to the NW soon.

Well, I can dream, can't I?

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Kent
Weather Guru

Reged: Sun
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale
Ode to Hurricane Season 2004 by Kent [Re: LI Phil]
      #30263 - Thu Sep 23 2004 01:22 PM

Sorry but I had to vent...I feel better now:

A few days before Jeanne and all through my town'
1000's of psycho's are rushing around
Publix was restocked but now shelves are bare
but managers promise more ice will be there

Hardware stores crammed with a line out the door
prepare yet again to restock their store
They frantically call and beg their suppliers
send us more tarps, more tapcons more pliers!

We need flashlights and lanterns and lots of propane
Our customers seem to have just gone insane!
they are buying things we thought no one would buy
its good for the business, but you gotta ask why?

Where is the stuff that they bought just last week
when Hurricane Ivan had caused them to freak?
He went down below us and off to the west
so why are you they back here on this new quest?

Donations were sent. Oh yes, now we see!
The victims of Ivan have that rope for your tree.
So back in they come and swarm all the aisles
sorting through tapcons and battery piles.

The frenzy gets worse as the day turns to night
and all are familiar with one certain sight
The people are huddled around their tv's
waiting to hear about Jeannes next big breeze

Will she come closer? When will she turn?
As my sister up north asks "when will you learn?"
Hammers are banging once more on plywood
covering windows cause Jeanne in the 'hood.

She's spinning due west and won't go away
silently stalking her Florida prey
We thought she had gone out to sea long ago
but now she is back with a FRANCIS echo

The wench is now aiming at poor Vero Beach
the center of Florida is well within reach
The place is in turmoil there's no gas again
I haven't seen gas cans since I don't know when!

Hurricane season is not over yet
We're only at "L" in the darn alphabet!
So pardon our whining and constant obsession
but we feel like we all have got manic depression!

Thank you...thank you very much

AgentB
Weather Guru

Reged: Fri
Loc: Winter Park, FL
Re: Is Jeanne Growing? [Re: Colleen A.]
      #30264 - Thu Sep 23 2004 01:24 PM

Colleen, can definitely see what you mentioned as far as the more north than west movement is concerned. As far as Jeanne growing I'm not sure if it's because she's becoming stronger, or because the convection around her is getting pulled further out from the center a bit. The one thing I noticed was that they eye appeared to become cloud covered again like has been happening off and on for the past few days.

--------------------
Check the Surf

danielwAdministrator

Reged: Wed
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
      #30265 - Thu Sep 23 2004 01:26 PM

Colleen, you have a good eye for detail. I agree that Jeanne is getting larger. I think it may be because the eastern semicircle has developed excellent outflow now. The nautilus shell look.
Here's a closeup WaterVapor shot.
http://wwwghcc.msfc.nasa.gov/GOES/GOES17102004267YT832T.jpg

SOUTHFLAHAPPYGAL
Weather Watcher

Reged: Thu
Loc: Deerfield Beach
Re: Ode to Hurricane Season 2004 by Kent [Re: Kent]
      #30266 - Thu Sep 23 2004 01:26 PM

That was GREAT Kent

sthorne
Weather Watcher

Reged: Tue
Loc: Port Saint Lucie, FL
      #30267 - Thu Sep 23 2004 01:27 PM

For my first post after becoming registered, after lurking since Floyd, I shall send Kent a rousing round of applause.

Sandy
Another tired Treasure Coast resident

Kent
Weather Guru

Reged: Sun
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale
Re: Ode to Hurricane Season 2004 by Kent [Re: SOUTHFLAHAPPYGAL]
      #30268 - Thu Sep 23 2004 01:28 PM

Thank you
and you are my witness to this madness right?
You must be just a few miles away.

I'll PM you later...we'll talk

Colleen A.

Re: What AgentB said... [Re: AgentB]
      #30269 - Thu Sep 23 2004 01:32 PM

BINGO. The models have not performed well with the H this season; however, intensity wise I think they have done (unfortunately) quite well. If she threads the needle between the two Bahama Island chains, she won't hit land (ala Ivan), therefore there is a chance that instead of losing intensity, she may gain it.
How much more can Florida take at this point? My kids think hurricanes are now a weekend thing.
My mother is having a cow and a bird because we are/were supposed to leave for Port St. Joe's tomorrow (well, I am anyway) and she had NO IDEA that Jeanne had turned around until I told her. She cancelled it on Sunday to October, then decided on Monday to change it back to this weekend.
When I mentioned to her this morning about Jeanne, she said, "I DON'T EVEN WANT TO HEAR IT."
Now she just called me and said, "NOW WHAT DO WE DO? HUH? DAMNED JEANNE! YOU SAID IT WAS GOING OUT TO SEA!"

Uh, no, I did NOT. I told her that they thought the Carolinas, but it was too early to tell. So, now it's my fault that the hurricane is headed towards Florida to ruin our week at the beach.

Please, just add a little more stress to my life than I've had in the past month and 1/2. As if I am WISHING for it to head towards my general direction. Now she wants to know what she should do...reschedule it or keep it for this weekend. I told her to do whatever she wants, but if I have a major hurricane coming my way, I'm not leaving the kids. I can't, because 1)they'd freak out if I was there and they were here and 2) my husband has already called me to tell me that he's gonna be busy with the phosephate plants, so who would watch them? ACK!

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

SOUTHFLAHAPPYGAL
Weather Watcher

Loc: Deerfield Beach
      #30270 - Thu Sep 23 2004 01:33 PM

I am your witness and I am just a few miles away....

Colleen A.

#30271 - Thu Sep 23 2004 01:35 PM

EXCELLENT KENT!!!!

--------------------

Florida Nurse

Loc: St. Augustine, Fl
      #30272 - Thu Sep 23 2004 01:36 PM

Bravo................I completely understand, unfortunately.

---Kelly W.

Sadie
Weather Watcher

Reged: Fri
Loc: Arcadia, FL
      #30273 - Thu Sep 23 2004 01:37 PM

Quote:

............do the best you can to redirect your reaction to the situation into constructive activities and thoughts. Hard to do, easy to say, but it is the only thing a human can do to make it better. I am stressed as much as anyone, and I admit it, but I try to counter that stress by participating in this forum, learning as much as I can about the forces at work, and maybe most importantly, preparing and executing a plan of action that will give me the best opportunity not only to survive, but to minimize my own property loss. Beyond that, I try and see the humor in the situation, you know, comic relief. It really does help me and I would suspect others such as yourself. I worry about the things I can do something about and do my darndness to avoid worrying about the things I cannot affect.

Try to convert your stress and frustration into something positive. *Finding* that positive substitute is both challanging and believe it or not, reduces the stress by diverting your attention to positive actions and thoughts.

As anxiety levels rise with the approach of Jeanne, these are words to remember. Thanx Richard. Excellent advice.

A heads up to any horse owners out there. There was a tragic barn fire in Pinellas County caused by bringing shavings into the barn to keep them dry. Spontaneous combustion. Lost 11 horses. Horrible story.

--------------------
"...Grandmother the Earth. That power is here all the time. It is continuous, and nobody controls it." Wallace Black Elk, Lakota

sthorne
Weather Watcher

Reged: Tue
Loc: Port Saint Lucie, FL
      #30274 - Thu Sep 23 2004 01:37 PM

The greatest insanity so far was the relatives who went to rent a Ditch Witch this morning, until the helpful folks at Lowe's pointed out it would SINK into the wet ground. So, they are out in this heat with shovels digging a ditch around their house.

Colleen A.

Ditch Witch [Re: sthorne]
      #30275 - Thu Sep 23 2004 01:47 PM

That story can only be topped by the maniacs in the Tampa Bay area who stood in line for HOURS for plywood -- some beating the crap out of each other -- only to bring it BACK when Ivan was no longer a threat.
Um, did the NHC release a statement that Ivan would be the last hurricane of the year and I just missed it? What were these people thinking? Never mind, I don't want to know.

--------------------

Redbird
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Central Florida
Re: Ditch Witch [Re: Colleen A.]
      #30276 - Thu Sep 23 2004 01:49 PM

Colleen nice to see you back in here.......................your mom is probably just real frightened right now.

AdmittedHacker
Unregistered

Re: Is Jeanne Growing? [Re: AgentB]
      #30277 - Thu Sep 23 2004 01:50 PM

You're right... I said that earlier too. For the 3+ hours Jeanne has been north of the predicted due west course. I get a course of 280/290 for the last several hours. This is good for south FL, but perhaps not so good for points north...

AdmittedHacker

Kimberley Clark
Weather Watcher

Loc: Mobile, Alabama
      #30278 - Thu Sep 23 2004 01:53 PM

VERY GOOD!!!! Just something that I'm sure that some of you have already thought about. My family and co-workers think sometimes that I am a weather freak, but I rinse out milk jugs and 2 liter bottles and fill them with water and put them in the deep freeze. Also, as soon as my ice maker gets full, I empty it into doubled up Wal-Mart bags and put them in the freezer. My family didn't seem to mind so much when we didn't have to stand in water and ice lines. Just something I thought might help with the ones who have power. It works for me.

--------------------
Kimberley Clark
Mobile, Alabama

Weather Watcher

Justin in Miami
Storm Tracker

Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Jeanne [Re: Redbird]
      #30279 - Thu Sep 23 2004 01:53 PM

Well, for those who have the information on model plots, Ft. Lauderdale is near the N26.07 degree lattitude. Please compare and let us know. I will say this...many people down here are "hurricaned out." There is a kind of disbelief that this storm is on the way to this area. What is funny is that on Tuesday I took down all the shutters and plywood on the house. ugh.

Colleen A.

Re: Ditch Witch [Re: Redbird]
      #30280 - Thu Sep 23 2004 01:55 PM

No, she's not frightened, believe me. She's MAD.

I just have to believe that things will work out the way they are supposed to and whatever happens, happens. Nothing I can do about Mother Nature.

--------------------

Liz C

Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
      #30281 - Thu Sep 23 2004 01:57 PM

This is my 1st post...I have not been able to stay away from this site or the NRC site. I have learned alot.

I love the Ode to Hurricane....it gave me a smile on my worried face.....thank you.

And thank you all for such an informatative site.....I have been tracking hurricanes as a hobby since moving to Daytona in 1974 from Long Island (Suffolk County)

I hope that Jeanne turns north asap. I went without power 1 week each after Charlie and then Frances.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 52 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 39862

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center