F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 229 (Idalia) , Major: 229 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 229 (Idalia) Major: 229 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)
Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged: Wed
Loc: Metairie, LA
Re: Jeanne up close [Re: Rabbit]
      #30483 - Thu Sep 23 2004 08:35 PM

Long time poster here - going on at least 5 or 6 years (old age?). Heh. Welcome to everyone who's jumping on and registering. Because this is >your< year (your = Florida), I can't even keep up with all the threads. But it's always good to have new blood in on the action. There are 3 really good fan sites - CFHC, Storm2K and Hurricane City (haven't been there much this year because of all the action on the other two). CFHC was always the best for "up close and personal" stuff when the action got rolling. Storm 2k is pretty good to follow because of the topic headers. And one day, I'm going to save Bobbi/LoisCane's hurricane blog spot (whatever the address is) to my favorites so I can get over there too.

For Palm Coaster -

No idea. Though everyone assumes it will, there are no guarantees that Jeanne will hit Florida. My guess is about 85% chance it will. The other question is how far south it comes in and and how far west it goes once it makes landfall. For a 'coast skirter' storm, you'd probably see gales and maybe some gusts to hurricane strength. For something going in down in Vero or farther south, it would depend on when it made the curve. Should it go into the NE Gulf and come back out, you'd probably see some bands (watch for tornaodes with those) crusing by.

But bottom line on Jeanne - I (and that's me the amateur speaking) do not believe that Jeanne will be in the class of Frances, Charley or Ivan at landfall. It's gonna be bad, but a Cat 1 or 2 (or even a low end Cat 3) are almost a blessing at this point. Yeah, it sucks because the state has been hit so many times this year (my count has it at 5), but it could be worse. We're not talking 'extreme' or 'catastrophic' damage - more on the order of severe or strong. So things could get potentially bad, but they're not going to to be viciously bad if you know what I mean.

As for the chips and cookies comment, that's what I did for Ivan Part 1. Oh yeah, and BEER (lots of it).

In any event, good luck to everyone in the path. May your misery be lessened by any means possible.

Steve

--------------------
MF'n Super Bowl Champions

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Redbird
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Central Florida
Re: Evening all, [Re: LI Phil]
      #30485 - Thu Sep 23 2004 08:37 PM

Dang to tell the truth last night I got to watch the 11 pm and had a horrible time sleeping as well....................turned on the news first thing in the morning to see more depressing news........this does interfere with sleep all the tracking and the scary dreams when you do drift off...........

LI Phil
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Oh, yeah, I forgot... [Re: Rabbit]
      #30486 - Thu Sep 23 2004 08:38 PM

Welcome aboard to all the new registrants! Your compliments are much appreciated...but don't thank me, it's Mike & John who made this site what it is...Mike is continually busting his hump to make sure the site stays up, and he recently ordered a new server to take some strain off of the bandwith usage...

Them servers ain't cheap...

Once again, welcome aboard everyone...

(bonus points) Last night I held Aladdin's lamp, and so I wished that I could stay.
Before the thing could answer me well someone came and took the lamp away
I looked around, a lousy candle was all I found.

Well, you don't know what we can find
Why don't you come with me little girl...

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

MissBecky
Weather Guru

Reged: Thu
Loc: Ft. Myers, FL
Re: Jeanne up close [Re: Steve]
      #30487 - Thu Sep 23 2004 08:38 PM

Thanks for the welcome, Steve. Everyone here seems very friendly and knowledgeable, and I'm glad I've found this site.

Shalafi
Weather Guru

Loc: Altamonte Springs
      #30488 - Thu Sep 23 2004 08:38 PM

Another great resource for us in Central FL is Real Radio 104.1... before, during and after they stop most of the typical talk stuff and centralize info for ice, generators, batteries etc... an incredible asset and a great way to help your neighbors. They broadcast on XM radio as well (I forget the channel) and during these times they let the rest of the world know that regular talk will resume once the need for info has passed. Great stuff!

--------------------
Bryan
What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.
God bless
I know very litte about weather. I'm here to learn mostly but will post friendly replies now and then. So if you don't want to see non-weather comments ignore me now. Thanx!

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
Re: Evening all, [Re: LI Phil]
      #30489 - Thu Sep 23 2004 08:38 PM

You've got to be right sometime LI phil. I like eating at an Italian restaurant, especially Olive Garden "It's like your family" but you aren't because they charge you!

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

Bioman
Weather Watcher

Re: Crow Munching Forecast [Re: Shalafi]
      #30490 - Thu Sep 23 2004 08:39 PM

Shalafli i am a teacher in Volusia County and lemme tell ya I really dont want to miss any more school. 13 days out of school so far...cant afford any more. I teach up in DeLand and there are two roads that STILL have water over them. The high schools retention ponds are filled up still. In fact the school started to flood during Frances and they had to close the shelter...what a nightmare. I dont care about wind im scared of the flooding.

Shalafi
Weather Guru

Re: Oh, yeah, I forgot... [Re: LI Phil]
      #30491 - Thu Sep 23 2004 08:39 PM

I want bonus points bad but this has be scratchin my shaved head....

--------------------
Bryan
God bless
I know very litte about weather. I'm here to learn mostly but will post friendly replies now and then. So if you don't want to see non-weather comments ignore me now. Thanx!

Redbird
Weather Hobbyist

#30492 - Thu Sep 23 2004 08:40 PM

Steve add a little beer to the cookies and chips..............not exactly a healthy way to eat but my stress was high.....oh and a few candy bars with the m&m's too. Hard part was explaining to the folks who don't live down here that this was serious business.............they just sorta equate it to just a wind storm.

leo
Unregistered

Re: Same time, same place, same cane channel??? [Re: WXMAN RICHIE]
      #30493 - Thu Sep 23 2004 08:40 PM

Is Stuart above Gainesville?

leetdan
Weather Guru

Loc: Osceola County
Re: Jeanne up close [Re: Shalafi]
      #30494 - Thu Sep 23 2004 08:41 PM

Yes, sorry I forgot. 104.1 is a good CC resource for Greater Orlando, no matter how annoying the Monsters are

--------------------
[witty phrase here]

Redbird
Weather Hobbyist

Re: Same time, same place, same cane channel??? [Re: leo]
      #30495 - Thu Sep 23 2004 08:41 PM

Nopers.........by west palm

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Oh, yeah, I forgot... [Re: LI Phil]
      #30496 - Thu Sep 23 2004 08:42 PM

I do have the new server in, but need to find the time to get it set up. Most likely over the weekend. I'm going to move parts of the site over to it slowly as I don't want to screw it up during Jeanne.

For those that keep track it's a dell poweredge 1750 rack server with 2x 2.8ghz Xeons, 2gb ram, and a raided scsi system with 2x 10000rpm hds. Running centos 3.3 on it so it's going to be fairly high powered. Old system will still kick around doing weather statement processing, though.

Shalafi
Weather Guru

Re: Crow Munching Forecast [Re: Bioman]
      #30497 - Thu Sep 23 2004 08:42 PM

I agree! Volusia has some terrible water removal. One day I just know I'm going to see an Alligator Crossing sign...I heard Jeb said they don't have to make-up missed school days. Is that right? How ridiculous is that?

--------------------
Bryan
God bless

Rabbit
Weather Master

Reged: Sat
Re: Same time, same place, same cane channel??? [Re: leo]
      #30498 - Thu Sep 23 2004 08:42 PM

Stuart is on the east coast, south of Indian River county (i think near Fort Pierce, but feel free anyone to correct me if i am wrong)

Redbird
Weather Hobbyist

Re: Oh, yeah, I forgot... [Re: MikeC]
      #30499 - Thu Sep 23 2004 08:43 PM

The site has had little downtime suprisingly.....................

MissBecky
Weather Guru

Loc: Ft. Myers, FL
      #30500 - Thu Sep 23 2004 08:43 PM

Regarding missed school days, here in Lee County the kids have to make up every day they missed for Charley and Frances. They'll still be in school well into July at this rate!

Bioman
Weather Watcher

#30501 - Thu Sep 23 2004 08:44 PM

lol i think they waved three of the school days...so we have to make up like 10. and they decided to add minutes to each day until the end of the year to make it up. i think like nine minutes each day something like that.

leetdan
Weather Guru

Loc: Osceola County
Re: Same time, same place, same cane channel??? [Re: Rabbit]
      #30502 - Thu Sep 23 2004 08:45 PM

Stuart is on the coast between Jupiter and PSL, or more generally between Miami and the Cape. Skeetobite's maps should explain nicely

--------------------
[witty phrase here]

Bioman
Weather Watcher

Re: Crow Munching Forecast [Re: Bioman]
      #30503 - Thu Sep 23 2004 08:46 PM

you know its bad when your school asks the state to delay the almighty FCAT

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 55 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 56916

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center