F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 212 (Idalia) , Major: 212 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 212 (Idalia) Major: 212 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)
SkeetoBiteAdministrator
Master of Maps

Reged: Sun
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Jeanne up close [Re: MikeC]
      #30437 - Thu Sep 23 2004 07:32 PM

Latest path up close & personal

New users:
These maps are based on the forecast coordinates from the National Hurricane Center. Do not focus strictly on the path forecast by the NHC. Large errors may occur. If a watch or warning is issued for your area, follow the advice & directions of your local news source.

The wind fields depicted are based on maritime winds and are not as large or concentric over land.

Full size image available here: www.skeetobite.com/weather

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
COgal
Weather Watcher

Reged: Sat
Loc: Lake County FL
Re: Crow Munching Forecast [Re: FreakedInFlorida]
      #30438 - Thu Sep 23 2004 07:32 PM

No joke! I am a medical insurance examiner and all of a sudden I get 16 orders today for people who want exams for life insurance and they want their exams done before the weekend! I try to explain that the policy will not be in effect until all labwork is back, an underwriter has reviewed the application, the policy delivered and signed. It does no good to rush it now but folks have such a sense of urgency surrounding this they don't care.

DMFischer
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Fri
Loc: Palm Bay
Re: Another One Of My Weird Questions [Re: Colleen A.]
      #30439 - Thu Sep 23 2004 07:41 PM

You may not have had a truck load of rain there, but deal lord, all week we got hit over and over here in sporatic downpours to fine misting rain. Mostly downpours. I have held by breath as the water rose in the street three days and the first of the week when I got in from school the water was mid calf high in front of my house. Thankfully it goes away pretty quickly.
Now I am VERY worried because all around us in some of the fields on the edge of town water is standing. We are well saturated here.

--------------------
Survived: Mitch '98-Charley's crossing'04-Frances '04-Jeanne'04 Survived near fatal fear from Floyd's threat.
Nearly grew gills with Fay'08

SoonerShawn
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Tue
Loc: Pearland,Tx
Allison in Katy [Re: COgal]
      #30440 - Thu Sep 23 2004 07:42 PM

http://www.srh.noaa.gov/radar/loop/DS.p19r0/si.klch.shtml

Look at this and tell me what direction it looks to go in the last few frames.

PalmCoaster

Reged: Thu
Loc: Palm Coast, FL
Re: Crow Munching Forecast [Re: COgal]
      #30443 - Thu Sep 23 2004 07:44 PM

1st Time poster here...love the up to the minute info many of you contribute! We've been monitoring the last several hurricanes (I say that loosely) here and figured I'd sign up and jump on board and say hello to everybody. So, can somebody tell us what to expect up here in Palm Coast in Flagler County? (fastest growing city in FL, 2nd fastest growing city in the U.S.) We have ZERO news outlets to rely on since all the Orlando and Jacksonville markets omit us and our county (ok, not all, but we had ZERO coverage for Flagler county on TV and Radio during Charley and Frances).

Thanks!!

--------------------
Real Estate Agent "So that's why Palm Coast never sees hurricanes...you're protected!"

Redbird
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Wed
Loc: Central Florida
Re: Jeanne up close [Re: SkeetoBite]
      #30447 - Thu Sep 23 2004 07:51 PM

Skeet you do all this for free? Husband also says your site is the best and of course this site is part of it...................you should put a pay pal on your site for donations.

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
Re: nevermind [Re: SoonerShawn]
      #30448 - Thu Sep 23 2004 07:52 PM

I think Ivan will be picked up by the front, I mean it could but nothing is certain. Depending on how fast the front moves could tell us how Ivan will react. The ULL is located right now in Idaho and will be lifting up in approach to the ridge. The pulse will be weak but it just might be enough to lead it far enough inland to totally wreck the LLC. Hopefully the block upstream will mantain itself so that the ULL can precede slowly and draw Ivan ever so far away from water. Just my take on it, you can agree or disagree.

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

ROB IN PA

Re: Allison in Katy [Re: SoonerShawn]
      #30449 - Thu Sep 23 2004 07:53 PM

First time poster here. Just want to say this is best site out there. I ve learned more in last month than ever before. As for which way it look like it wants to go south. That would make sense this year

Redbird
Weather Hobbyist

Re: Same time, same place, same cane channel??? [Re: COgal]
      #30450 - Thu Sep 23 2004 07:56 PM

I ate a load of chips and cookies......................when we had power we fixed meals for the neighbors which was a lot of fun.........I liked that part. I just don't like being closed in even if this is a large house...........no power means you know as you live in FL and experienced the big drag it is.

Bioman
Weather Watcher

Re: Allison in Katy [Re: ROB IN PA]
      #30451 - Thu Sep 23 2004 07:56 PM

I hate to change the subject but has anyone looked on boatus and see how huge Karl's windfield is? that would suck to be in that. at least he is bookin it. I wonder what another 6-12 inches of rain would do to the st. johns river north of orlando.....

Redbird
Weather Hobbyist

Re: Ivan Landfalls Again. Jeanne on the Move [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #30452 - Thu Sep 23 2004 07:58 PM

She has all the vindictiveness of an ex-wife going for every penny in your bank account!

FreakedInFlorida
Verified CFHC User

Re: Crow Munching Forecast [Re: PalmCoaster]
      #30453 - Thu Sep 23 2004 07:58 PM

This list might help you find a radio station that is covering your area:

http://www.floridasmart.com/information/media/media_radio.htm

It lists all the stations in the state.

Tarpon
Unregistered

Re: Same time, same place, same cane channel??? [Re: Redbird]
      #30454 - Thu Sep 23 2004 08:01 PM

I have enough tuna in this house to feed the troops in Iraq. I'm new at this but I have a question for you experts out there: I noted that this hurricane is nearly stationary...if this persists for a while or slows down to a crawl for a day, wouldn't this be good news for Florida as it won't be as far west when the turn to the North eventually comes?

FreakedInFlorida
Verified CFHC User

This is the latest status from Fort Pierce/PSL [Re: PalmCoaster]
      #30455 - Thu Sep 23 2004 08:02 PM

Due to the storm’s current track, this storm poses a threat to southeast Florida and requires close monitoring. The St. Lucie County Emergency Operations Center is monitoring this storm.

St. Lucie County EOC is participating in state sponsored conference calls in conjunction with the National Hurricane Center. We will continue to monitor the storm track and will advise as additional information is provided with the National Weather Service. St. Lucie County is recommending that citizens review their plan for storm preparations. For more information on Hurricane Preparedness, visit www.stlucieco.gov/eoc.

COUNTY ACTIONS:
• County Administration, Public Safety, fire rescue, law enforcement and other outside officials met at 5:00 p.m. this afternoon to discuss Plan of Action.

• It is recommended that if residents are choosing to evacuate that they make those arrangements immediately. Any resident that has experienced flooding in their home during the past two weeks should evacuate. It is recommended that those residents stay with a friend or evacuate out of town.

• There will be No Special Needs facilities/shelters in St. Lucie County available. Due to Hurricane Frances, the Health Department does not have the staff nor the supplies to shelter any Special Needs patients. Those Special Needs patients who can self-transport are requested to leave the area of suspected landfall and seek shelter in an unaffected area. This evacuation should occur as soon as possible to avoid traffic congestion as a large number of citizens are expected to be leaving the county. Please take your prescription bottles with you to facilitate refills of medication. It is important that food, water, clothing and any special needs be taken with you. For Special Needs information ONLY, call (772) 461-5201. All other calls should be made to the Hurricane Information Line (462-2766).

• Indian River Drive, from Savannah Road south to the Martin County line, is open to residents/local traffic only.

• Offices Closed Friday, September 24, until further notice:
o St. Lucie County Government offices
o St. Lucie County School Board
o St. Lucie County Courts
o City of Port St. Lucie
o City of Fort Pierce
o Fort Pierce Utilities Authority (Customer Lobby and Drive Through)
o County Health Department

• Public Schools in St. Lucie County are still closed until further notice.

• Private Schools Closed Friday, September 24, until further notice:
o St. Anastasia School
o John Carroll High School

• Hurricane Information Line opened at 1 p.m. today, Thursday, September 23. Number is (772) 462-2766. Open 24 hours a day until further notice.

• Landfill hours are 7 a.m. until 7 p.m. Thursday and Friday. No free disposal. Normal rates apply.

• All political signs must be removed by noon on Friday, September 24. Code enforcement officials will remove after that time.

• Army Corp of Engineers will have free tarps available at the St. Lucie County Civic Center tomorrow, Friday until 5 p.m. They are no longer available at the Old K-mart at the City Center site in Port St. Lucie. The Salvation Army is now closed at the Old K-mart site at City Center in Port St. Lucie.

EXECUTIVE ORDERS:
None at this time.

Nothing earth shattering as of yet, but it's bad that there will not be a special needs shelter in St. Lucie County. Not surprising though considering the restoration from Frances. However, one should monitor the page:

http://www.stlucieco.gov/eoc/index.asp

for more details over the next few days as I'm sure it will change very quickly...

mbfly
Weather Guru

Reged: Mon
Loc: Mobile, Alabama
Re: Jeanne up close [Re: SkeetoBite]
      #30456 - Thu Sep 23 2004 08:02 PM

Quote:

Latest path up close & personal

New users:
These maps are based on the forecast coordinates from the National Hurricane Center. Do not focus strictly on the path forecast by the NHC. Large errors may occur. If a watch or warning is issued for your area, follow the advice & directions of your local news source.

The wind fields depicted are based on maritime winds and are not as large or concentric over land.

Full size image available here: www.skeetobite.com/weather

UhUh Skeeto................. I'm not likin' that path at all !! I have reservations in DisneyWorld 3 weeks from now, and God (or someone) seems to be hell bent on blowing it away before I get there !!! AND......... whoever it is even came here to Mobile and tried to blow me away !!!!

Shalafi
Weather Guru

Loc: Altamonte Springs
Re: Allison in Katy [Re: ROB IN PA]
      #30457 - Thu Sep 23 2004 08:02 PM

Isn't this site great!? Like you I recently joined and the info is priceless (insert mastercard commercial nonsense). Welcome aboard!

Skeetobite I agree you should have a paypal option. I gladly donate to this board and would love to donate to you as well. Thank you for your graphics. I tape them up at work so all the nurses can grab a quick update between patients...very handy!

Karl is looking pretty big, thank God he's a fish spinner...

--------------------
Bryan
What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.
God bless
I know very litte about weather. I'm here to learn mostly but will post friendly replies now and then. So if you don't want to see non-weather comments ignore me now. Thanx!

Redbird
Weather Hobbyist

Re: Same time, same place, same cane channel??? [Re: Tarpon]
      #30458 - Thu Sep 23 2004 08:04 PM

Put the tuna on ice so it is good and cold..........stuff tastes nasty when warm................

MissBecky
Weather Guru

Loc: Ft. Myers, FL
COAMPS model? [Re: FreakedInFlorida]
      #30459 - Thu Sep 23 2004 08:04 PM

Hi, another first-time poster here, from Ft. Myers. I have been lurking since Frances, but I really wish I had known about this site before Charley. I will never forget watching TWC radar the morning of August 13th, and realizing about 9:30 that Charley was moving east even though Greg Nies on TWC was still saying north. Needless to say, I have lost a lot of my faith in TWC since then.

I have a question about the models. I was looking at the NOGAPS today (and wincing as it showed Jeanne crossing over Ft. Myers) and I followed some of the links to the model comparisons. The model called COAMPS takes Jeanne due west, into the straits of Florida. I haven't seen anybody else mention this. Is there a reason this model is discounted? I'm sorry if this is common knowledge...I'm (obviously) a newbie to all this.

Thanks for your help. This is a great site and I'm very glad I found it.

leetdan
Weather Guru

Loc: Osceola County
Re: Crow Munching Forecast [Re: FreakedInFlorida]
      #30460 - Thu Sep 23 2004 08:05 PM

*plug*
If you're anywhere between Brevard Broward and Lake O, I -highly- recommend ClearChannel's local coverage. 94.3 south of Vero, and 101.7 or 92.7 north of Stuart. They has almost two weeks of 24/7 coverage after Frances, both relaying information from county/state/federal officials (including an interview with Jeb himself) and hooking people with needs up with people who could provide. It was mentioned on this site earlier I believe, but people would call in desperate need of some help, and often within minutes somebody would have called / gone to them and helped out. They (CC) do a lot of charity work outside of hurricanes, and their storm / aftermath coverage really brought out the best in the community.

--------------------
[witty phrase here]

Redbird
Weather Hobbyist

Re: Crow Munching Forecast [Re: leetdan]
      #30461 - Thu Sep 23 2004 08:12 PM

Thanks as I am writing this down immediately......................

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 201 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 56563

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center