F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 231 (Idalia) , Major: 231 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 231 (Idalia) Major: 231 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)
AgentB
Weather Guru

Reged: Fri
Loc: Winter Park, FL
Re: Same time, same place, same cane channel??? [Re: Terri]
      #30417 - Thu Sep 23 2004 06:30 PM

Well it looks like with the movement and building of the ridge to the north and west of Jeanne a turn off the coast of Florida is all but eliminated. Now it will depend on how far south it builds and how long it stays there. I can see Jeanne tracking southwestward a bit as she approaches the coast due to that ridge. Also, the models have had a tough time forecasting the placement and strength of these highs all season. Undercalling them for the most part. Looks like this will be no different.

--------------------
Check the Surf

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RedingtonBeachGuy

Reged: Tue
Loc: St. Cloud, FL
Richie.. [Re: WXMAN RICHIE]
      #30418 - Thu Sep 23 2004 06:35 PM

quick question.. if Jeanne stays on a west track thru Florida towards Tampa, do you forsee that our area will have winds higher than tropical force? Best I read right now, the most we might see over here is 75 mph winds no matter where she goes in. Is that about right based on the current forcast?

Justin in Miami
Storm Tracker

Reged: Thu
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Models trending south [Re: AgentB]
      #30419 - Thu Sep 23 2004 06:36 PM

Well, if it is my time for a storm then so be it! Here is the 18Z GFS:

http://www.nco.ncep.noaa.gov/pmb/nwprod/analysis/carib/gfs/18/images/gfs_850_060m.gif

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged: Thu
Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
Re: Crow Munching Forecast [Re: LI Phil]
      #30420 - Thu Sep 23 2004 06:46 PM

Where did you get crow pie from, I've never heard that before? Anyway Jeanne looks very strong, the distinct eye with the very strong outflow band, Hugo had that feature. At least we have some agreement with the model's for the general path, as opposed to every model going to a different place. The strong shear forecasted to come about never did because the GFDL shear forecasted model was initialized with GFS data which is having some problems this year but then again there's always next year. So the shear really won't have to much of an affect if any at all and will prob recurve before hitting Florida but does it really matter because you'll be in the ring of hurricane force winds so the damage is done.

Ivan's back from the dead and has some banding and eye features but not a very good CDO. The convection is sparse and cloud cover is poor but still causing some very heavy rain. The steering current is collasping and will most likely pull down south after it hits into the Texas/La border but that I'm not to sure because the strength of the ridge is uncertain. That's about it folks; everyone has been doing an great job, keep it up!

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

sunshinemamax2

Loc: Kissimmee, FL
Good grief! [Re: Keith234]
      #30421 - Thu Sep 23 2004 06:52 PM

Okay, I give in, I'll post. Been lurking since Charley (completely fascinated by it since it did quite a number on our neighborhood and I hadn't seen a hurricane since Bob in '91 up in LI at the time) and as each storm forms and does it's strange thing this season I'm just watching in awe and coming back here day after day to read up on all of the fantastic posts. I will probably continue to lurk, but considering it looks like we may be affected (yet again!) by Jeanne AND we're driving to TX for a wedding at the beginning of the week, I'm watching everything very closely right now & felt the need to post and give a thumbs up to everyone here.

--------------------
- 2005 Season ends on Emmeline's 1st birthday!

SoonerShawn
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Pearland,Tx
Another One Of My Weird Questions [Re: Justin in Miami]
      #30422 - Thu Sep 23 2004 06:53 PM

It looks like Ivan has come up a little more north and east of where it was suppose to. The approaching front may be having a slight effect on him but it won't be much as the high pressure behind it is quickly building in from what the local mets are saying. Now the high pressure is what is forecasted to start sending Ivan back to the SW in time.

Here is my question.

Is it possible that the high starts to push him back SW from the farther east location? If that were to happen than he would go maybe south of Galveston and back out into the water. I know it's a stupid question but I thought of it from just looking at the latest radar which looks like he is moving more north than forecasted.

By the way, he does look like he is actually building more storms around the center as he is getting further inland.

P.S.
Please be gentle in your response...lol

Edited by SoonerShawn (Thu Sep 23 2004 06:57 PM)

FreakedInFlorida
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Sat
Re: Crow Munching Forecast [Re: Fletch]
      #30423 - Thu Sep 23 2004 07:00 PM

Gas lines are starting to get crowded. Banks were really lining up at drive thrus. Lot of people headed out to the turnpike and Home Depot as well. WalMart is just a mob scene here in Fort Pierce. I can't believe we are getting this again.

On another note, is it just wishful thinking on my part or does the GEOS satellite that shows the hurricane path look as though it's headed more NW than anything else? It certainly doesn't seem to be following the west forecast track.

Tropicbird

Loc: near Homestead, FL
Re: Good grief! [Re: sunshinemamax2]
      #30424 - Thu Sep 23 2004 07:06 PM

OK, this storm seems a little more dicey for deep southern FL-the TV mets aren't as positive it's definently going N of us than they were with Frances, especially since there seems this season to be a trend of highs building in stronger than the models predict. My question: is there any chance that this storm will bomb out and get stronger than a Cat 3? Not that a 3 is anything to sneeze at, but a 4 would be so much worse.

I tried ignoring Jeanne all week but she wouldn't go away...

PS. this board rules!

Colleen A.

Loc: Florida
Re: Models trending south [Re: Justin in Miami]
      #30425 - Thu Sep 23 2004 07:11 PM

I just checked the water temps for Lake Okeechobee and it's in the low '80's. If Jeanne makes landfall and goes across Lake Okeechobee, the inland counties may get a bigger wallop than what we're looking at right now. I don't like that scenario at all. Not that I like any of them, but this one worries me more than the others.

You know what's weird about this whole thing? It's almost as if we've gotten used to being a target. I mean, how many hurricanes that land as a Cat III does it take to make it feel "normal"?

Also, talked to my brother's girlfriend who works at TWC (she's a product manager for Notify!) and she said that she knows that someone from her area (internet services) is headed to Florida, and from she has learned in the last couple of weeks since she started there is that when one of those people go, it's a sure bet that an OCM is not far behind....

Wouldn't you hate to be Jeb Bush right now? Egads. This storm even took HIM by surprise, as the reporters were the ones that told him Jeanne was heading our way. So, where's his "weather guru", Ben Nelson? He wasn't giving Jeb a "heads up" on Jeanne? As The Donald would say,

"YOU'RE FIRED."

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Colleen A.

Re: Another One Of My Weird Questions [Re: SoonerShawn]
      #30426 - Thu Sep 23 2004 07:12 PM

Shawn...at this point, I wouldn't rule ANYTHING out.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

leetdan
Weather Guru

Reged: Wed
Loc: Osceola County
      #30427 - Thu Sep 23 2004 07:13 PM

The 12Z UKMET, NOGAPS, and GFS all match Phil's crow forecast unfortunately... The water vapor loop is fascinating, Jeanne hasn't quite been knocked south yet even as the ridge intensifies around her northern quadrant. Going to be quite a weekend :-/

--------------------
[witty phrase here]

Redbird
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Wed
Loc: Central Florida
Re: Another One Of My Weird Questions [Re: leetdan]
      #30428 - Thu Sep 23 2004 07:17 PM

When Phil's right, he's right bigtime...................and he wanted to be wrong as in this case more harm will come of this track.

SoonerShawn
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Pearland,Tx
nevermind [Re: Redbird]
      #30429 - Thu Sep 23 2004 07:21 PM

I just looked at the new model runs and they are not projecting that SW track anymore. They now have the front picking up Ivan and sending him NE. That actually seems more realistic than the SW track anyway.

COgal
Weather Watcher

Loc: Lake County FL
Re: Same time, same place, same cane channel??? [Re: Redbird]
      #30430 - Thu Sep 23 2004 07:22 PM

Yes, I would have to agree with this. I can only take so much playing go fish with my daughter, getting mauled by the dogs and scratched up by the cats! It's amazing when you are bored you get on the floor and let the animals attack you! Was actually thinking about taking up drinking and smoking just so I could have something else to do besides play little kid games. Was thinking too that it might make it all the more interesting! I could also not take having my hair and makeup done a dozen times in a 10 hour period. It took 3 days to get the rats out of my teased up hair. Also, I hate hurricanes because they make me "fat". After I bought all the supplies and goodies someone had to eat them when it was all said and done. I never ate so much chocolate in my life.

Colleen A.

Re: Another One Of My Weird Questions [Re: Redbird]
      #30431 - Thu Sep 23 2004 07:25 PM

I'm gonna go out on a limb here (and I'll bring my crow with me) but I think at 11pm we will see an ohsosubtle shift to the west and south and exiting the state near Cedar Key.

I guess the only good thing I can say is that we haven't had a truckload of rain here lately. Anything to be positive, right?

--------------------

Cathy
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Florida Native - Bartow (Polk ...
Re: Ivan Landfalls Again. Jeanne on the Move [Re: MikeC]
      #30432 - Thu Sep 23 2004 07:25 PM

How to measure experience:

"Category III" used to give me goose bumps - now I get cold chills up my spine & nausea!

Colleen A.

Re: Same time, same place, same cane channel??? [Re: COgal]
      #30433 - Thu Sep 23 2004 07:27 PM

LOL...put the coffee cup down and back slowly away from the caffiene.........

--------------------

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: Ivan Landfalls Again. Jeanne on the Move [Re: Cathy]
      #30434 - Thu Sep 23 2004 07:30 PM

This is getting ridiculous. I was so lucky with Charley, Frances, and Ivan. I wonder if Jeanne will be the one to change my real estate value? Its a logical thought hopefully not a prophetic one that those of us who escaped unscathed the last two times would be the ones to pay big time this time around. Those canes have a nasty way of making little pockets of major destruction away from the core of the storm....

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

Allison
Weather Guru

Loc: Laredo, Texas
      #30435 - Thu Sep 23 2004 07:31 PM

Quote:

Is it possible that the high starts to push him back SW from the farther east location? If that were to happen than he would go maybe south of Galveston and back out into the water. I know it's a stupid question but I thought of it from just looking at the latest radar which looks like he is moving more north than forecasted.

Good question... I'll take a shot at it.... (usual disclaimers apply)...

I think Ivan will still stay over land... If he keeps moving N/NW, he'll just get farther north into LA before the high moves him SW and into east Texas.

Quote:

By the way, he does look like he is actually building more storms around the center as he is getting further inland.

I noticed that too... I think it's because that part of the storm is still over water... It could also be additional energy coming off the ULL in the Bay of Campeche.

I wonder if that little sliver of dry-ish air to our west will keep most of Ivan's rain away from the Houston area.... though we should still see rain from the front...

http://www.goes.noaa.gov/GSSLOOPS/ecwv.html

--------------------
Allison

DMFischer
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Palm Bay
Re: Models trending south [Re: Colleen A.]
      #30436 - Thu Sep 23 2004 07:32 PM

Quote:

Wouldn't you hate to be Jeb Bush right now? Egads. This storm even took HIM by surprise, as the reporters were the ones that told him Jeanne was heading our way. So, where's his "weather guru", Ben Nelson? He wasn't giving Jeb a "heads up" on Jeanne? As The Donald would say,

"YOU'RE FIRED."

Colleen Thanks, I really needed that laugh. I can almost see his eyebrows shooting up in surprise.

I just got in from the grocery store, filling the gaps in the supplies, preparing, preparing. The Publix was a flippin nightmare! A "normal" Thursday night is never like this, not a basket left to use, it's bring your own from the parking lot and every check out lane was manned and running with people standing 4-6 deep in line. They are already almost out of ice, no dried milk to speak of and the chef boyardee shelf (kids will eat this cold! uk) is empty. The one buzz I heard from several guys from Patrick AFB was they were expecting a hit between them and the Cape. NASA has already sent folks home to take care of business and have begun to lock it down. The trucks have been picking up all the left over limbs and trees having been told to work until the sun goes down.
All of this "feel" like a hurricane is coming. (rolling eyes)
Hang on everyone, here we go again.

God Speed

--------------------
Survived: Mitch '98-Charley's crossing'04-Frances '04-Jeanne'04 Survived near fatal fear from Floyd's threat.
Nearly grew gills with Fay'08

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 90 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 56955

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center