F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)
OrlandoDan
Weather Master

Reged: Mon
Loc: Longwood, FL
Re: Coming up on 11 adv [Re: Unregistered User]
      #31406 - Fri Sep 24 2004 10:34 PM

Hmmm. I am in nothwest Orlando (Wekiva), and I definitely notice a mailaise over the whole area. I hope it doesn't suprise everyone. I am boarded up and ready (not) to take it.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LI Phil
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Saving tonight for tommorow... [Re: danielw]
      #31407 - Fri Sep 24 2004 10:34 PM

Gonna pack it in tonight, so I can do this (at least I willl try) tom. nite.

Any BoSucx fans better leave these boards now!

Must be the season of the witch

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

danielwAdministrator

Reged: Wed
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: Hurricane Local Statements [Re: danielw]
      #31408 - Fri Sep 24 2004 10:36 PM

BULLETIN - EAS ACTIVATION REQUESTED
CIVIL EMERGENCY MESSAGE
RELAYED BY NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MIAMI FL
728 PM EDT FRI SEP 24 2004

...THE FOLLOWING MESSAGE IS TRANSMITTED AT THE REQUEST OF PALM BEACH COUNTY EMERGENCY MANAGEMENT OFFICE...

THE PREVIOUS MANDATORY EVACUATION ORDER HAS BEEN EXPANDED TO INCLUDE PLAN B AREAS DUE TO RECENT INCREASE IN THE FORECASTED INTENSITY OF HURRICANE JEANNE. ALL RESIDENTS LIVING IN THE HURRICANE EVACUATION ZONE A AND B OR MOBILE HOMES SHOULD EVACUATE

Edited by danielw (Fri Sep 24 2004 10:38 PM)

Terri
Weather Watcher

Reged: Sat
Loc: Richmond Hill, GA
Re: Florida Attitude [Re: Rasvar]
      #31409 - Fri Sep 24 2004 10:37 PM

Quote:

I will say, there really should not be much of a rush to stock up. There have been so many storms that everyone should have a ready to go hurricane kit.

Addition: I had no preps that I needed to do for Jeanne because they were already done for Frances and Ivan.

You're right, Jim. But, the truth is that I don't personally know one family that is ready and stocked up, besides mine. Georgia has been so lucky over the years that complacency has set in. All I hear is, "Don't worry. It will miss us. They always do." GA may get a wake up call on Monday.

COgal
Weather Watcher

Loc: Lake County FL
Re:Critters and Varmints [Re: FireAng85]
      #31410 - Fri Sep 24 2004 10:38 PM

Hey Angie please be careful out there. After Charley I was at a few of the stations and helped hand out water and supplies and I'm sure I'll be back! I don't know much about hurricanes and half the time I don't understand half of what everyone here is saying. I learn a little more everyday. I'm better at helping out physically after they hit, getting right in there and cleaning debri and delivering water and supplies. I even went with a team from FEMA door to door on the east coast after Frances and knocked on doors making sure people were safe. My feet hurt and my back ached but I didn't care. I admire the firefighters out there (and everyone else) who have really made a difference before, during and after these disasters. You guys rock!

tpratch

Loc: Maryland
Re: Coming up on 11 adv [Re: OrlandoDan]
      #31411 - Fri Sep 24 2004 10:39 PM

Quote:

Hmmm. I am in nothwest Orlando (Wekiva), and I definitely notice a mailaise over the whole area. I hope it doesn't suprise everyone. I am boarded up and ready (not) to take it.

Mainly because Orlando has traditionally been spared any major hits. This season has been a freak along those lines.

nandav
Weather Watcher

Reged: Thu
Loc: Pt. Charlotte, FL
Re: Florida Attitude [Re: Terri]
      #31412 - Fri Sep 24 2004 10:39 PM

And I always heard that Charlotte Harbor was very protected and we didn't have a high probability of a hurricane hitting us.. and you know what happened at the last minute!! I still have no idea when we will be able to move back into our home and life will be back to normal again.

AngB

Loc: S. Merritt Island
Re: Wheee [Re: h2ocean]
      #31413 - Fri Sep 24 2004 10:41 PM

Long time lurker. I love this site. There is just a wealth of information.
We live on S. Merritt Island, too and are considering not evacuating for the first time. We will wait and see what Jeanne is doing in the morning and then decide. We did board up for the first time ever, though (previous owner installed security window film). Plylox made installation easy...we'll see if they work. Plan on installing permanent shutters as soon as I can get someone to return my phone calls.

Our house made it through Frances with no damage...just a few stripped hibiscus and a leaning palm tree.

Several gas stations out of gas here and Home Depot was doing a brisk business, but I don't think it was nearly as crowded like the last couple of times.

davet
Unregistered

Re: Coming up on 11 adv [Re: OrlandoDan]
      #31414 - Fri Sep 24 2004 10:42 PM

Just south of you in Piedmont lakes.... half an hour ago, 436 was a madhouse for gas & last minute stuff. I just went out to get a bike ride & a breath of fresh air. ( I HATE THESE BOARDS & DARKNESS !!! )

tpratch

Loc: Maryland
Re: Wheee [Re: AngB]
      #31415 - Fri Sep 24 2004 10:44 PM

Quote:

Plan on installing permanent shutters as soon as I can get someone to return my phone calls.

Just an FYI - in Brevard county, the average quote for permanent shutters is $20K. Could be worse, but seeing how it's only about $1K in materials...

davet
Unregistered

Re: Wheee [Re: tpratch]
      #31416 - Fri Sep 24 2004 10:46 PM

chack out hurricanedepot.com .... easy to install ... good online estimator & good advice for self installation

h2ocean
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: South Merritt Island, FL
      #31417 - Fri Sep 24 2004 10:47 PM

Hey AngB...give Affordable Glass Protection a call. That is who installed our hurricane shutters a year and a half ago. They did a great job! Good luck riding it out...where are you located? We are in River Grove.

--------------------
Merritt Island, FL Home Weather Station

LI Phil
User

Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Florida Attitude [Re: nandav]
      #31418 - Fri Sep 24 2004 10:47 PM

OK...like me...hate me...whatever...

Send your compliments to Mike/John.

Gotta do that zzzzz thang....

I'll be back tomorrow unless of course you vote me off the island...

Lets all praay this is our last one for the year....

Climo says no! but who wants to start the season 0-6?

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

danielwAdministrator

Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: Florida Attitude [Re: LI Phil]
      #31420 - Fri Sep 24 2004 10:49 PM

AT 11 PM EDT...0300Z...THE TROPICAL STORM WATCH HAS BEEN EXTENDED NORTHWARD ALONG THE WEST COAST OF FLORIDA TO THE SUWANEE RIVER.
A TROPICAL STORM WATCH IS NOW IN EFFECT FROM SOUTH OF FLORIDA CITY AROUND THE SOUTHERN END OF THE FLORIDA PENINSULA AND NORTHWARD ALONG THE WEST COAST TO THE SUWANEE RIVER...INCLUDING FLORIDA BAY...AND THE FLORIDA KEYS NORTH OF THE SEVEN MILE BRIDGE

Does this sound familiar??

Edited by danielw (Fri Sep 24 2004 10:50 PM)

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc: Kissimmee, Florida on Lake Toh...
11 PM Discussion is out.. Track nudged a little west.. [Re: tpratch]
      #31421 - Fri Sep 24 2004 10:49 PM

http://www.weatherunderground.com/tropical/at200411.disc.html

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

alan
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Apopka, FL
Re: Coming up on 11 adv [Re: davet]
      #31422 - Fri Sep 24 2004 10:52 PM

Votaw and Piedmont-Wekiva here.

There is a definate calm over the community today and tonight. I just think people are so beat up already that they just don't know what to do. I really blame Ivan and Frances more than anything.
With Charley, it was shock.
With Frances, it was mindnumbing, but the Orlando area faired much better than with Charley. There was so much buildup and then a lesser hit than the first one. Most people did not see the damage along the coast. In Orlando, it was not that powerful.
Then Ivan came and the community over reacted. Much of the community cancelled events, meetings and almost everything, on Friday when Ivan was still several days away. My calendar, which usually has at least four meetings a day was wiped clean before anyone knew for sure what was happening with the storm. Then it missed us. This time, I think its back to it will miss us.

It's really not a good thing. If this one hits Orlando, it will be the worst one.

AngB

Loc: S. Merritt Island
Re: Wheee [Re: h2ocean]
      #31424 - Fri Sep 24 2004 10:52 PM

Thanks for the info.
Drive by your subdivision every day....We are just (approx. half mile?, maybe) south of you in Sunset Ridge Estates.

Shalafi
Weather Guru

Loc: Altamonte Springs
      #31425 - Fri Sep 24 2004 10:53 PM

New thread started

--------------------
Bryan
What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.
God bless
I know very litte about weather. I'm here to learn mostly but will post friendly replies now and then. So if you don't want to see non-weather comments ignore me now. Thanx!

nandav
Weather Watcher

Loc: Pt. Charlotte, FL
Re: Florida Attitude [Re: LI Phil]
      #31426 - Fri Sep 24 2004 10:55 PM

I think.. no matter how much you prepare.. nothing really prepares you for the reality of what happens. (But the main regret I have is that I didn't do the laundry before Charley hit...)

Terri
Weather Watcher

Loc: Richmond Hill, GA
Re: Florida Attitude [Re: nandav]
      #31431 - Fri Sep 24 2004 10:58 PM

Quote:

And I always heard that Charlotte Harbor was very protected and we didn't have a high probability of a hurricane hitting us.. and you know what happened at the last minute!! I still have no idea when we will be able to move back into our home and life will be back to normal again.

I'm so sorry. Hopefully, you'll be back to normal soon. Actually, I'm probably over prepared for a hurricane, if that's possible, but I have a good reason for being so. A representative from my EMC told me that if my island ever got hit, I'd be without power for a month. I believed him and have planned accordingly.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 177 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 140076

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center