F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 237 (Idalia) , Major: 237 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 237 (Idalia) Major: 237 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)
Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Re: Satellite Loops [Re: Domino]
      #31551 - Sat Sep 25 2004 06:10 AM

Who replaces the batteries on the satellites?

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Domino
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Makati City, Philippines
Re: Satellite Loops [Re: Colleen A.]
      #31552 - Sat Sep 25 2004 06:11 AM

The astronauts on the space station, of course.. DUH

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: fl
Re: News updates [Re: scottsvb]
      #31553 - Sat Sep 25 2004 06:11 AM

Okay here is my 24 hr forcast for landfall. Its actually about 22hr forcast as I feel she will make landfall very close to midnight give or take a hour or 2. Jeanne will be a Cat 3 with winds near 120mph and higher gusts. Landfall will be close to Jupiter Florida. She will move very close to Lake Okechobee to near Arcadia-Sebring then move NW to Lakeland-Tampa area by evening then continue NNW to near Ocala by sunday night near 11pm (give or take a couple hours). There is a slight chance of a track currently as of 11pm still but this is doubtfull. I expect TS watches on the west coast to be upgraded to Hurricane warnings if the 12Z runs stay the same as the OZ runs of now or are even more west cause I feel west-central florida will recieve winds near 80-90mph close to the center.
Currently outerbands are coming thru the bahamas and will come near the florida coastline by mid morning. The pressure should be in the 950mb range but maybe slightly lower. Again many tornados will be spawned from the outerbands advancing throughout the state. The circulation will have winds up to 80miles from the center near landfall to about 20 miles by time it gets to W Central Florida. Movement now is to the west or jogs just north of due west and this should continue up to landfall. A turn to the wnw will occur around then. Eventually she should turn NW then N by Sunday night. Ok why will she turn??? Well to tell ya the truth its not the trough over the southern plains fully. It will be first affected by a upper level low in the western gulf right now moving ne due to the trough. Jeanne will start to feel the upper low and move more NW. Now how fast she gets into florida and how fast the upper low gets towards the NE gulf is the question on timing of the N turn from over the state or near the western florida coastline. Anyways nevertheless hurricane should come inland and along the forecast path.

Edited by scottsvb (Sat Sep 25 2004 06:15 AM)

AgentB
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Winter Park, FL
      #31554 - Sat Sep 25 2004 06:14 AM

Quote:

They go down every night for what is called the "eclipse" which is caused by shut-down to conserve batteries during the night. Unfortunately this period is longer when near an equinox, which just happened. The period is between roughly 345Z and 645z (or 1145p EDT till 245 EDT).

Eclipse Schedule

*edited to add link to eclipse schedule

Thanks!

--------------------
Check the Surf

Domino
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: News updates [Re: scottsvb]
      #31555 - Sat Sep 25 2004 06:16 AM

I'm a tad curious why they only brought the winds up to 105mph when the last recon had flight level winds at 110kt...which is I believe extrapolate to 115mph at the surface. Any thoughts? Maybe just the NHC wanting to keep from freaking out shell-shocked Florida with another Cat 3?

Colleen A.

Reged:
      #31556 - Sat Sep 25 2004 06:16 AM

Oh, RIGHT! DOH! How long do they stay up there? Like 24 years or something? Do they draw straws to see who get to float around replacing all the C batteries??? Can the Russian astronauts read the directions?

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Sissy

Reged:
      #31557 - Sat Sep 25 2004 06:17 AM

Am I seeing things again? The models have now come into a pretty solid agreement. And the UKMET has changed.

http://weather.net-waves.com/model.php

Sissy

Domino
Weather Guru

Reged:
      #31558 - Sat Sep 25 2004 06:18 AM

They use thousands of those tiny hearing aid batteries. Takes 24 years just to replace them. *waits for us to get chastised for being off-topic*

It's pretty late so I am not too worried....yet.

Edited by Storm Cooper (Sat Sep 25 2004 06:24 AM)

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
      #31559 - Sat Sep 25 2004 06:20 AM

recon now has pressure down to 960mb

Colleen A.

Reged:
Re: News updates [Re: Domino]
      #31560 - Sat Sep 25 2004 06:24 AM

No, I don't think they would do that, Domino. They may want to get more readings and bump it up at 5am. It's not like she's almost making landfall, so they can't keep the intensity level down. We'd all know. However, with Charley, the pressures dropped to 944 and they still had it as a Cat 1 until it was almost ON LAND...at a Cat 4. Plus, they'd be putting themselves at risk if they downplayed the intensity, which would NOT go over well with the US government.
I don't think Max plays games, they did say it could be a CAT 3 before making landfall, and on the current track it's taking, a Cat 3 is more a probability than a possibility.

--------------------

Colleen A.

Reged:
Re: Satellite Loops [Re: Sissy]
      #31561 - Sat Sep 25 2004 06:27 AM

When I try to pull up that page, it just give me a red X at the top, but when you go to the bottom, it's plotting coordinates for Lisa.

--------------------

Colleen A.

Reged:
      #31562 - Sat Sep 25 2004 06:30 AM

Don't worry, Storm Cooper...we have a knack for knowing when to go back on-topic.

Scott...it's dropped 2 mb's already? Great. How much time between those two readings? Thanks!

--------------------

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
      #31563 - Sat Sep 25 2004 06:33 AM

Colleen they didnt have it a cat 1 with pressure at 944mb or am i reading it wrong. They had him as a Cat 2 almost a 3 then pressure droped markably down to that range and winds they uped to 145mph.

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: Satellite Loops [Re: scottsvb]
      #31564 - Sat Sep 25 2004 06:35 AM

Colleen does your husband tell you to get to bed? Your on alot, but thats great though.LOL

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
      #31566 - Sat Sep 25 2004 06:41 AM

Im off for the night.

Colleen A.

Reged:
Charley [Re: scottsvb]
      #31567 - Sat Sep 25 2004 06:42 AM

All I remember is this: when Charley was still near the Keys, the pressures were dropping but the winds were not increasing. I remember the announcement that it was a Cat 4 because it stunned everyone...including the local mets.

My husband knows I can't sleep when there's a hurricane near us....so he doesn't even attempt to make me go to bed, LOL. However, that being said, I do have 2 football games to attend tomorrow, so I should TRY to get some sleep. I don't think that Jeanne's going to stop dead in her tracks just because I turn off the light.

--------------------

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
      #31568 - Sat Sep 25 2004 06:44 AM

Okay I'll try to straighten the satellite/ eclipse mess out.
The satellites are in an eclipse every night right now, from 0345Z -0645Z (roughly). The eclipse is caused by the satellites being in a direct path between Earth and the Sun. The Sun's "noise" level overrides the satellites signal. None of the satellite's transmissions/ pictures would be received on Earth, so they shut the batteries off, by remote control, to conserve battery life.
I Do Not believe the batteries are replaceable. I'll check with FrankP tomorrow and verify that. Once the batteries die the sats float around as space junk. Or fall back to Earth as space junk chunks.

Colleen A.

Reged:
      #31569 - Sat Sep 25 2004 06:44 AM

Yes, me too. Nite all...and stay safe wherever you are...

--------------------

maxhat

Reged:
Re: Satellite Loops/Hurricane winds? [Re: danielw]
      #31570 - Sat Sep 25 2004 07:11 AM

I have a question about the advisory's. When they say that hurricane force winds extend outward 70 miles from the center of the eye, does that mean that hurricane force winds extend 140 miles all together? And also, do you have to take into account the size of the eye itself, and add that to the hurricane force winds along with the tropical force winds, when you are trying to figure out how far the storms winds extend?

Mooshie-SC
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Re: Satellite Loops/Hurricane winds? [Re: maxhat]
      #31571 - Sat Sep 25 2004 07:13 AM

What are the odds that Jeanne will turn north early and skirt the Florida coast as she approaches SC?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 80 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 67552

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center