F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)
Bloodstar

Reged:
Loc: Tucson, AZ
5am public advisory [Re: Unregistered User]
      #31593 - Sat Sep 25 2004 08:45 AM

pressure at 958, west at 14mph, 26.5N 76.2W wind speed not increased, maintained at 105mph, forecast to become a major hurricane.

extended the tropical storm watch on the west coast, but no other changes...

maybe they're waiting till 11am so people can get some sleep?

anyway, on a side note... read this about Remanant low Ivan:
REPEATING THE 10 PM CDT...03Z...POSITION...THE REMNANT LOW OF Ivan
WAS NEAR 30.6 NORTH LATITUDE AND 94.9 WEST LONGITUDE...OR
APPROXIMATELY 35 MILES EAST OF HUNTSVILLE TEXAS AND MOVING SOUTH
AT ABOUT 7 MPH. MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 1014 MB OR 29.94
INCHES.

it's the moving south bit that has me going .... sigh

Mark

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: Jeanne Update [Re: danielw]
      #31594 - Sat Sep 25 2004 08:48 AM

REPORTS FROM AN AIR FORCE RESERVE HURRICANE HUNTER AIRCRAFT INDICATE
THAT MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 105 MPH...165 KM/HR...WITH
HIGHER GUSTS. STRENGTHENING IS FORECAST DURING THE NEXT 24 HOURS...AND JEANNE WILL LIKELY BECOME A MAJOR HURRICANE LATER TODAY.

Bloodstar

Reged:
And for those of you keeping score on Ivan... [Re: danielw]
      #31595 - Sat Sep 25 2004 08:55 AM

Looks like Ivan is about to make it back to the Gulf. Have the use nuclear weapons been authorized to make sure this thing *stays* dead this time?

Someone should have told the NHC the best way to kill the undead is to shoot them in the head....

I'd ask if it's December yet, but I don't even know that'll stop this season....

Mark

So what do they do with the 5am? they declare it no longer discernable on satalite... Why can I see a twist at 29N and 96W?

well... good riddence anyway... even if I think it's a mite bit premature...

Mark

RedingtonBeachGuy

Reged:
Loc: St. Cloud, FL
Not good for us over here [Re: danielw]
      #31596 - Sat Sep 25 2004 08:56 AM

Unfortunately, Tampa Bay area will be at one of the highest tides Sunday morning about noon when Jeanne passes through at her height: 2004-09-26 11:24 AM EDT 2.53 feet High Tide at Madeira Beach. If we are to see a two and one-half foot high tide coupled with another two to three foot surge, homes whose seawalls face the north are going to see some flooding over the seawalls here.

SOUTHFLHAPPYGAL
Unregistered

Re: Satellite Loops/Hurricane winds? [Re: danielw]
      #31597 - Sat Sep 25 2004 08:57 AM

Thanks Daniel...you are correct in making sure people are safe, there are so many people that are in an "ignorant" state of mind. They havent seen what I have. in '64 not sure what storm name..was my first cane! I was in diapers and got a good education of what Mother Nature can do ! (and the rest is history). Most people that live here are CLUELESS!!!! If I had my rathers I would be out of the state for the storms. But I am guarding the "family jewels". My mom is in the smokies@summer home. Looting is a big problem after canes. So here I am....playimg guard and hurricane...instead of monopoly and clue...LOL
I am getting tired this season.......
"stop the ride I wanna get off"
Kathy

RedingtonBeachGuy

Reged:
Loc: St. Cloud, FL
Re: And for those of you keeping score on Ivan... [Re: Bloodstar]
      #31598 - Sat Sep 25 2004 08:58 AM

Wasn't Ivan the storm that the company in Pensacola was going to dump all the stuff into it to slow it down? Maybe what they did was make him angry?

Ricreig
User

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Fl
Re: Satellite Loops/Hurricane winds? [Re: SOUTHFLHAPPYGAL]
      #31599 - Sat Sep 25 2004 09:02 AM

Quote:

Thanks Daniel...you are correct in making sure people are safe, there are so many people that are in an "ignorant" state of mind. They havent seen what I have. in '64 not sure what storm name..was my first cane! I was in diapers and got a good education of what Mother Nature can do ! (and the rest is history). Most people that live here are CLUELESS!!!! If I had my rathers I would be out of the state for the storms. But I am guarding the "family jewels". My mom is in the [Email]smokies@summer[/Email] home. Looting is a big problem after canes. So here I am....playimg guard and hurricane...instead of monopoly and clue...LOL
I am getting tired this season.......
"stop the ride I wanna get off"
Kathy

Danny is a good trooper. I try to NOT be 'ignorant', but Danny checked me out too <grin>. We met when I was stationed in the AF at Biloxi during Camille. He was a 'kid' back then. He was one of the kids I probably met when the USAF troops helped try to clean up the devistation caused by Camille. I probably didn't 'formally' meet him, but we share a common Storm, so to speak. We met again after Charley on tis forum. Danny needs to go to bed too....

--------------------
Richard
A forecast is NOT a promise!

KC
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Naples, FL
Re: 5am public advisory [Re: Bloodstar]
      #31600 - Sat Sep 25 2004 09:05 AM

I'm not sleeping. I've been up since 2am. Weather radio has already gone off twice in the last few minutes, so a lot of other people might not be sleeping, either!

Fletch
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
5AM Discussion [Re: RedingtonBeachGuy]
      #31601 - Sat Sep 25 2004 09:06 AM

"It would not be a surprise to see Jeanne get stronger than that...and reaching category four status is not out of the question"

This is getting scary!!!

--------------------
Irwin M. Fletcher

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Re: Safe Side [Re: SOUTHFLHAPPYGAL]
      #31602 - Sat Sep 25 2004 09:07 AM

I think we are probably going to see a lot more casualties with Jeanne than we did with Frances. For one reason or another, I just don't think people are doing the right thing. Getting OUT. I can understand they are tired of getting out every weekend. But If you don't get out, you may never have another chance.
I particularly do not like the images I'm seeing, with regard to the convective buildup on the SW quadrant.

SOUTHFLHAPPYGAL
Unregistered

Re: Satellite Loops/Hurricane winds? [Re: Ricreig]
      #31603 - Sat Sep 25 2004 09:08 AM

Good Mornin Richard!
I just woke up and I am trying to figure out Jeanne! I guess if I got off this laptop and watched the TV , that might help. What year was Camille?
God's speed and blessings to all
Kathy

Bloodstar

Reged:
Words that are never welcome [Re: Ricreig]
      #31604 - Sat Sep 25 2004 09:08 AM

From the 5am Discussion "Given the current
trends...the intensity forecast will go a little higher and call
for 105 kt. It would not be a surprise to see Jeanne get stronger
than that...and reaching category four status is not out of the
question."

need I say more?

good night all
Mark

Sadie
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Arcadia, FL
Alarm Just Went Off [Re: Ricreig]
      #31605 - Sat Sep 25 2004 09:13 AM

I go to bed early, thinking T/F winds, need to pack up the farm tomorrow, hope we don't lose power again. Manageable. Trundle out to the kitchen at 4am for a drink, hit refresh, and read 'Arcadia' and 'Charley'. Am now WIDE awake.

--------------------
"...Grandmother the Earth. That power is here all the time. It is continuous, and nobody controls it." Wallace Black Elk, Lakota

Fletch
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
      #31606 - Sat Sep 25 2004 09:17 AM

http://radar.weather.gov/radar/loop/DS.p20-r/si.kamx.shtml

Eye now showing on radar loop.

--------------------
Irwin M. Fletcher

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
      #31607 - Sat Sep 25 2004 09:18 AM

Richard, Are you still up?? I for once am getting paid, as I'm still at work.
Kathy and all, NHC did say the " 4" word. Just making sure you guys and ladies noticed.
They weren't talking about a golf game either.
More like go forth and leave now!!

SOUTHFLHAPPYGAL
Unregistered

Re: Words that are never welcome [Re: Bloodstar]
      #31608 - Sat Sep 25 2004 09:19 AM

OMG......
This season is beating me up!
26.2N
80.1W

Ricreig
User

Reged:
      #31609 - Sat Sep 25 2004 09:20 AM

Quote:

Good Mornin Richard!
I just woke up and I am trying to figure out Jeanne! I guess if I got off this laptop and watched the TV , that might help. What year was Camille?
God's speed and blessings to all
Kathy

Camille 1969. That was a rough night also. It looks like we have another bad night ahead tommorrow. I woke up to see the 5pm forecast. Gonna get a few more winks now that I am sure Orlando is likely to be on the 'bad' side of the storm. I have moved my stuff to safety (I hope) and me and the cat will follow by late afternoon. You know, when you anticipate being homeless by Sunday, you tend to ensure you have *everything* packed that will fit in the trunk and back seat. I hate losing the trailer, but all of the furnature, dishes, 2nd TV and tape drives and .... you know, a bunch. Three times this year I've b I've been lucky, done the drill and the tin-box survived even when some of my neighbors weren't so lucky. This is a stronger storm potentially than Charley was and with the currently forecast track, this time I might not be so lucky. While I'd really like to move out of my mobile home, I'd really like to do it on my own terms! Get away from that A1A and even I-95 I think you said you lived near. Find a strong buillding on high ground and I wish you safe haven and no losses.

--------------------
Richard

Ricreig
User

Reged:
Re: Satellite Loops/Hurricane winds? [Re: danielw]
      #31610 - Sat Sep 25 2004 09:27 AM

Quote:

Richard, Are you still up?? I for once am getting paid, as I'm still at work.
Kathy and all, NHC did say the " 4" word. Just making sure you guys and ladies noticed.
They weren't talking about a golf game either.
More like go forth and leave now!!

No Danny, I'm not 'still' up, I'm up again

Don't worry, I'm the original git whilest the gittin' is good guy, Remember? I' am about 15 min away from my bosses house, high and dry and a bunch stronger than this tin-box I live in. You KNOW I'll leave in plenty of time....I love my cat too much to expose that critter to any real danger. Just washing clothes and stuffing them into garbage bags for transport later this AM. I'm glad you're getting paid this time...I think my school will be closed and that means more unpaid vacation time....Oh well, at least my boss will know how to contact me <grin> Good morning.... Now, for some more 'couch time' for an hour or two. Us old-farts need our beauty rest, you know.

--------------------
Richard

SOUTHFLHAPPYGAL
Unregistered

#31611 - Sat Sep 25 2004 09:31 AM

I know the feeling of what do I take with me? What matters most?
WELL.......your well being means most. DVD'S...VCR's...PUTER"S physical things can be replaced. The CAT can't be......I have mine with me also.
Leaving everything behind isn't easy. With Frances I didn't know what I would find when I went back "home". I was fortunate....nothing happened! But mentally parting with your life...to not know if it will be there when you get back is TOUGH! I wish you the best and the same...safe haven and no losses
"Stop the ride, I wanna get off"!

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
      #31612 - Sat Sep 25 2004 09:36 AM

ROBINS : I read your PM and decided to answer.
Skeetobite has some dynamite maps on here. Go to page One of this thread, and scroll down looking for this link.
http://www.skeetobite.com/weather/
It will lead you to the most current map based on NHC advisories. Be sure and check the Map Time. as Skeet can't stay up 24/7.
He will start doing street level maps sometime today, probably 11am.
The links to his map are ALWAYS on page One of each thread.
In answer to your question. Based on the 11pm advisory, and a rough estimate (Osceola County) Skeet's map track goes really close to you. Make absolutely sure you have everything you need.
You have probably heard the drill by now.
Water, water, water. Ice, ice, ice, food, batteries.
Put water in everything you have washer, sinks, tubs.
There were some really good hints on the thread before this.
"Hurricane Warnings Up for Florida City....."
Good luck and I hope none of you need it!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 59 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 67804

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center