F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)
nandav
Weather Watcher

Reged: Thu
Loc: Pt. Charlotte, FL
Re: Track moved to the left... [Re: tpratch]
      #31757 - Sat Sep 25 2004 11:14 AM

If his campus is anything like our campus, they will ensure that students go to shelters if need be.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
AgentB
Weather Guru

Reged: Fri
Loc: Winter Park, FL
Re: Advisory out [Re: LI Phil]
      #31758 - Sat Sep 25 2004 11:14 AM

Quote:

Avila's advisory is out...READ IT CAREFULLY...

I'm sure the discussion will not be a good read...

Actually I was somewhat disappointed by the 11AM discussion. I was expecting something more "in depth".

--------------------
Check the Surf

Edited by AgentB (Sat Sep 25 2004 11:14 AM)

PalmCoaster

Loc: Palm Coast, FL
Re: Advisory out [Re: LI Phil]
      #31759 - Sat Sep 25 2004 11:14 AM

it appears the 11 AM forecast moves the path even further to the west now

--------------------
Real Estate Agent "So that's why Palm Coast never sees hurricanes...you're protected!"

DeLandT
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Sat
Loc: Parrish, FL
Re: 11:00 is now out [Re: Ronn]
      #31760 - Sat Sep 25 2004 11:15 AM

Here are some links to the water vapor over the Southeast. Shows the high sitting over Jeanne, not sure about the ULL in the GOM moving easterly. I am just a "weather watcher" but not sure the path wont be even more westerly?
RAMSDIS
Here is another site from the FMNOC with some good links to models:
FMNOC

BinCA
Unregistered

Re: Jeanne Strengthening Now a Category 3 Hurrciane [Re: MikeC]
      #31761 - Sat Sep 25 2004 11:17 AM

Is it really necessary for TWC to use "Cast Your Fate to the Wind" as a theme during "Local on the 8's"?

As my name suggests, I'm not in FL but my 80-something parents are in Ormond Beach 1/2 block from the ocean and won't leave so I'm with you all in this. At least they have roll-down storm shutters and a concrete tile roof--really a pretty solidly built house (even the doors open outward so they can't blow in)

collegemom
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Central Arkansas
Re: Track moved to the left... [Re: RevUp]
      #31762 - Sat Sep 25 2004 11:17 AM

Grandmother left following Frances and before Ivan to family farm in Virginia for hay season. He would be alone in the house. I guess it is best for him to stay with a group as I don't know if her storm shutters were left up.......

--------------------
character has been defined as what we do when no one is looking

Rubber Ducky
Weather Watcher

Loc: Cocoa Beach, FL
      #31763 - Sat Sep 25 2004 11:17 AM

Either one is probably the same. FIT is off the water and away from the Indian River. Ditto IRCC. No comment on wisdom of remaining in Brevard, either location, after mandatory evac order.

tpratch

Reged: Fri
Loc: Maryland
Re: Track moved to the left... [Re: Rubber Ducky]
      #31764 - Sat Sep 25 2004 11:19 AM

Quote:

Either one is probably the same. FIT is off the water and away from the Indian River. Ditto IRCC. No comment on wisdom of remaining in Brevard, either location, after mandatory evac order.

Yeah, but the mandatory evac is for barrier islands, manufactured and mobile homes - NOT a complete and total evacuation of the entire county.

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
Re: Advisory out [Re: PalmCoaster]
      #31765 - Sat Sep 25 2004 11:21 AM

The main steering current will be the upper level ridge on the east coast today, it's being "squashed" or elongated east to west and therefore affecting Jeanne. Depending on how ridge gets out of there or how fast will determine how far west the storm travels. The ridge is indicated by the NHC as more elliptical then usual and therfore make Jeanne not move as north.

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged: Mon
Loc: fl
      #31766 - Sat Sep 25 2004 11:22 AM

BinCa well they could be playing
"Dont know what you got, till its gone" by Cinderella or
"Rock you like a hurricane" by Scorpions but
I would think they would get complaints.

Ronn
User

Loc: Seminole, FL
Re: Advisory out [Re: AgentB]
      #31767 - Sat Sep 25 2004 11:22 AM

Quote:

Actually I was somewhat disappointed by the 11AM discussion. I was expecting something more "in depth".

Different forecasters have different styles. Stewart's 5pm discussion yesterday was one of the best I have ever read. Avila's discussions tend to lack depth, but all the forecasters are competent forecasters.

Hurricane Watches are now up for the west-central coast of Florida. Maybe this will catch emergency personnel, local media, and citizen's attention.

Ronn

PalmCoaster

Loc: Palm Coast, FL
Re: Track moved to the left... [Re: scottsvb]
      #31768 - Sat Sep 25 2004 11:25 AM

"We gotta get out of this place..."
"Riders on the storm"

--------------------
Real Estate Agent "So that's why Palm Coast never sees hurricanes...you're protected!"

Daytonaman
Weather Watcher

Reged: Sun
Loc: Port Orange, FL
Re: 11:00 is now out [Re: DeLandT]
      #31769 - Sat Sep 25 2004 11:25 AM

I have found this site to have great satellite and radar images...just click on the picturebox at the bottom of page corresponding to the views you want.
http://orca.rsmas.miami.edu/wx/

--------------------
Bruce
Port Orange, FL
29.14 80.99
Thanks to all who work so hard to teach those of us without the knowledge but the thirst to know.

RevUp
Weather Guru

Reged: Sun
Loc:
Re: LANDFALL WINDS [Re: LI Phil]
      #31770 - Sat Sep 25 2004 11:26 AM

Jeanne is certainly doing her own thing. Everyone in a coastal community from Port St Lucie northward to Melbourne needs to be prepared for cat 3 winds (111-130 mph) capable of producing structural damage. For most people along the coast, that means evacuating! Everyone else in the "cone of concern" needs to be paying attention to knowledgeable weather forecasters and be prepared for damaging winds, as already noted - trees and mobile homes are most susceptible to damage and to cause damage to other structures. There is no need to panic. Just be prepared and pay close attention to what Jeanne does the next 24-36 hours.
Jeanne is unlikely to make it to the GOM as much as it looks like it might. The approaching trof and shear to the west and north will start steering it north, but not until tonight. If nothing else, pray that Jeanne turns north even sooner before it reaches the coast! Also pray that Jeanne weakens quickly after making landfall!
"Prepare for the worst and pray for the best."

lilyv
Weather Watcher

Loc: Utah
Re: Track moved to the left... [Re: collegemom]
      #31771 - Sat Sep 25 2004 11:26 AM

I'm a college mom also, and I think it's much safer for students to be in a group, rather than alone.
Should there be a problem at the school, admin will make sure safety steps will be taken.

RONJON
Unregistered

Re: Tampa Bay Area [Re: Ronn]
      #31772 - Sat Sep 25 2004 11:26 AM

I agree Ronn. Its like since they over-reacted with Ivan, there're under playing it now. Jeanne wil be a much stronger storm than Frances & if it skims just offshore could be serious tidal flooding. I'm not sold completely with the 11 AM NHC track yet, just 50 more miles west pulls her offshore. In any event, she'll be close enuff for hurricane force winds on the east side of the city.

javlin
Weather Master

Reged: Wed
Loc: Biloxi,MS
      #31773 - Sat Sep 25 2004 11:27 AM

Unbelievable Jeanne looks to pushing the ridge to the W.The ridge is really holding strong with her movement now at 14mph.I really cannot see her going N for a while ridge seems to end at the MS/AL line.I feel for you guys in FL.It seems alot of people including myself did not see the full strength of the ridge.Take care down there and be safe.

cjzydeco
Weather Guru

Reged: Mon
Loc: Sebastian, FL
Re: Advisory out [Re: Ronn]
      #31774 - Sat Sep 25 2004 11:29 AM

Stewart and Bevins are really good at explaining the reasoning behind their forecast, which is what all us weather gurus really like to see.

I'm probably not going to be online for much longer. Thanks to Ricerig, LI Phil, Skeetobite, Colleen, and all the others that have answered my myriad of questions and kept me informed and somewhat sane over the past few days. See you all on the other side -- and may the force be with you!

collegemom
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Central Arkansas
      #31775 - Sat Sep 25 2004 11:29 AM

FIT website shows no posted evac order.

--------------------
character has been defined as what we do when no one is looking

DeLandT
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Sat
Loc: Parrish, FL
Re: Advisory out [Re: Keith234]
      #31776 - Sat Sep 25 2004 11:30 AM

Thanks Keith,
But if you look at the trough, you can see it breaking down and not pulling to the north as much on the RAMDIS (Thermal IR CH.4 GOES EAST). It looks as though it is actually being pulled south around Cuba and into Jeanne. Or am I just dazed and confused from looking at this stuff for too long?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 115 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 64078

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center