F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)
WXMAN RICHIE
Weather Master

Reged: Mon
Loc: Boynton Beach, FL
Re: ERC [Re: Wxwatcher2]
      #31818 - Sat Sep 25 2004 12:35 PM

They just got off an exit ramp, can't tell where.

--------------------
Another typical August:
Hurricane activity is increasing and the Red Sox are choking.

Live weather from my backyard:
http://www.wunderground.com/weatherstation/WXDailyHistory.asp?ID=KFLBOYNT4

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged: Thu
Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
Re: ERC [Re: MrSpock]
      #31819 - Sat Sep 25 2004 12:36 PM

Yeah, I'm about 30 miles east from LI phil.

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

LI Phil
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Um... [Re: Keith234]
      #31820 - Sat Sep 25 2004 12:37 PM

>>> Thanks for the update Mr.Spock. We are expected 50 mph winds at least that's what I heard, going to knock out power I bet, too many trees but nothing like what Florida will be about to experince.

While I appreciate the kind sentiments, Oh Chief Science Officer, I would be willing to bet there are about (insert the population of Florida) who'd be more than happy to trade places with us... I'd take a Strong CAT I/Weak II if I could spare Florida from another mashing. Unfortunately, my powers are somewhat limited in that area.

What's going to hit FL is bad enough as it is, but with all the damage left over from Frances...it won't take much to produce CATASTROPHIC damage...

Where is that Varmint???

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Reged: Sun
Loc: Tampa
Re: ERC [Re: Kevin]
      #31821 - Sat Sep 25 2004 12:37 PM

Just saw where MB's are @ 955 now

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
Re: ERC [Re: Unregistered User]
      #31822 - Sat Sep 25 2004 12:38 PM

It is likely to go to your west, which is not the side you want to be on. It will be weaker than when it hits S. Fla., but that is all relative. It is going to take quite a while to wind this thing down, and that quad. is the one favorable for tornadoes. It will not be good, even though the hit won't be direct, it doesn't need to be.

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged: Mon
radar shows hint of north [Re: MrSpock]
      #31823 - Sat Sep 25 2004 12:41 PM

Miami radar loops shows a very slight hint of a north component....not very much mind you, but it doesn't have that hard due west its had most of the morning.... could be just a wobble, something to watch for sure

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Loc: Tampa
Re: ERC [Re: MrSpock]
      #31824 - Sat Sep 25 2004 12:41 PM

Has it started that turn, put points on

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float-wv-loop.html

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Re: Um... [Re: LI Phil]
      #31825 - Sat Sep 25 2004 12:45 PM

I agree wholeheartedly.
I even debated posting that publicly, I probably should have done it as a PM, because if I'm in Fla., I'm wishing I lived up here, no matter where it goes.
The reason I did post it publicly is that there has been tremendous flooding in parts of the east due to the remnants of these things, and some areas, like N.C. and Va. are going to get it again, and they should be conscious of the effects on them as well.

I forgot to mention that Pa. also has had major flooding problems. With Ivan, the Del. river was 10 feet above flood stage in some areas, which was the worst flooding in 50 years. Most of Pa. had flood warnings, I had never seen a map look like that before.

Geez, and now I see 950 mb.
Please, if anyone in Fla. has Jewish friends who may not know due to the holiday, please let them know.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/nwatl-wv-loop.html
This is a good h2o shot of the west Atl. and E. U.S.

Edited by MrSpock (Sat Sep 25 2004 12:48 PM)

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc: Kissimmee, Florida on Lake Toh...
Re: Um... [Re: MrSpock]
      #31826 - Sat Sep 25 2004 12:46 PM

Its gone slightly North.. See latest position from NHC:

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/text/refresh/MIATCEAT+shtml/251556.shtml?

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

VolusiaMike
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Ormond Beach, FL
Re: Um... [Re: Lake Toho - Kissimmee]
      #31827 - Sat Sep 25 2004 12:51 PM

Pressure in Ormond Beach (northern part of Volusia County) has been dropping since around 9 am. You can check conditions at my office via the link:
http://home.earthlink.net/~csk/ftp:/csk@...Vantage_Pro.htm
Check the graph for pressure part way down the page.

Michael

Heather
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Tue
Loc: Sebring, FL
Re: Um... [Re: VolusiaMike]
      #31829 - Sat Sep 25 2004 12:55 PM

Our pressure is 29.80 and falling. I know this isn't good, but what does it mean?

--------------------
When it rains, it pours...

Rasvar
Weather Master

Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Re: Um... [Re: VolusiaMike]
      #31830 - Sat Sep 25 2004 12:56 PM

In the last hour: Vero has had gusts to 37MPH and Melbourne has had gusts to 33MPH Looks like things are starting to pick up. Here in Poinciana, I have had a gust to 26MPH in the last hour.

--------------------
Jim

Redbird
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Central Florida
Re: ERC [Re: LI Phil]
      #31831 - Sat Sep 25 2004 12:57 PM

That's cool Phil..........I just needed an understanding of ERC which you and Keith provided.............thanks

LI Phil
User

Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: ERC [Re: Redbird]
      #31832 - Sat Sep 25 2004 12:59 PM

Quote:

That's cool Phil..........I just needed an understanding of ERC which you and Keith provided.............thanks

Let's just hope you get it when she's weakening...

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Rasvar
Weather Master

Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Re: Um... [Re: Heather]
      #31833 - Sat Sep 25 2004 12:59 PM

In a hurricane, the winds flow along the pressure gradient. The tighter the gradient of low pressure to high pressure will usually mean faster winds. The fast pressure drops will usually be accompanied with stronger winds Most of the winds occur higher off of the surface. Rainbands can force these higher winds down to the surface.

--------------------
Jim

Ricreig
User

Reged: Sat
Loc: Orlando, Fl
Gonna shut down and 'Hunker' down PDQ [Re: LI Phil]
      #31834 - Sat Sep 25 2004 01:02 PM

Phil, Mike and all of the rest of you. The winds are now 22 G31 here in East Orlando. Radar shows little 'clouds' of rain racing over with feeder bands maybe at Melbourne which is about an hour drive SE of here. I expect the first bands to be here by 3pm.

So, I've got everything packed, all but this one computer, me and the cat packed and either already transported to safer haven, or in the car trunk. The back seat has room for this computer, the front seat has room for Tigger's cage, food and litter.

I'm leaving behind and hopeing to be able to salvage my Bedroom TV, my currently broken new Dell computer, furnature and appliances like the 'fridge and window AC units and my favorite chair that actually fits this 6'7" 275lb frame of mine. I'm not expecting the trailer to survive intact, but it would be nice if it does like the last two that came past. I've already experienced (or it did) Cat-II (low) winds with Charley as the eye went right over the trailer. Ten neighbors didn't make it without total loss. I'm dented and bruised but no leaks. It would be nice if I return to the same. The boss says the spare bedroom is available if I become homeless, until I can find something.

The wind gusts are now shaking the trailer so the winds are gusting with one of those little 'scud' showers coming past. I'll miss you guys but with power outages and probable inability to get internet access for a while, I may not be able to post for a bit but I'll lurk for another few minutes to hour, then I'm pulling the plug. Wind is blowing the rain at 45deg angle but radar shows this is just scud. I'm glad (and at the same time, sad) I'll not sleep here tonight. Whatever happens to me, I know I'm going to be safe and much better off than some of you, my weather nut friends and family.

Danny, Kent and Phil and the rest of you that have PM'd me, "Quit Nagging!!!! I'm going all ready <grin>" Phil, you've got the reins and Skeeter, that 11:00 map with the detailed street format and the new 'curves' format would be truly a Godsend right about now. Even if not 'significantly different than #47, #48 would be slightly further West and the few miles *could* make a difference to a lot of people besides me in the Orlando Metro area...just don't move it all the way to your house, OK?

Bye for now and I'll check in using my boss's portable if the phone holds. It was lost during Charley, worked fine for Frances...we'll see!

Richard (BTFM) Creighton
(B)ig T)all F)at M)an also known as 'Mr. "C", OTD (older than dirt) by my students

--------------------
Richard
A forecast is NOT a promise!

Redbird
Weather Hobbyist

Re: ERC [Re: LI Phil]
      #31835 - Sat Sep 25 2004 01:02 PM

Ditto those sentiments!

SkeetoBiteAdministrator
Master of Maps

Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: Jeanne Wind Field map [Re: MikeC]
      #31836 - Sat Sep 25 2004 01:04 PM

This map is as close to the street level as we can get without losing the information value of the image.

New users
Note that all areas represented in this map remain under a watch or warning and by now should be done or nearing completion of their storm preparations. Do not focus on the path represented in the map as all areas represented will be affected.

As this storm moves on shore, you local news source and official weather outlets remain your best source for bulletins, alerts and guidance.

This is a 600x600 JPG image. Full size available here:
http://www.skeetobite.com/weather/maps/jeanne_windfld48.jpg

collegemom
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Central Arkansas
Re: Um... [Re: Rasvar]
      #31837 - Sat Sep 25 2004 01:04 PM

it's surreal. keep the melbourne info coming. Anybody wanna join me in a nervous breakdown?

--------------------
character has been defined as what we do when no one is looking

Redbird
Weather Hobbyist

Re: Jeanne Wind Field map [Re: SkeetoBite]
      #31838 - Sat Sep 25 2004 01:05 PM

ouch....................but again we need to know this............

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 117 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 64092

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center