F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)
clyde w.
Storm Tracker

Reged: Fri
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Latest WV [Re: LI Phil]
      #31879 - Sat Sep 25 2004 01:57 PM

Hi all--I'll be posting from east Orlando again today with conditions--asuming we keep power and the site stays up (seems its much more stable with the recent changes).

We never lost power for Charley or Frances, so I should be able to post what occurs out here.

A couple of thoughts for the board:
1) The local news stations are giving the impression that there is a great deal of complacency among coastal residents about Jeane. They keep showing the roads--which are empty--and saying few people are evacuating. Can any of our coastal posters update if that is the case or not?

2) I wanted to give kudos to Scottsvb. He nailed his call on Ivan, which was pretty impressive. But, if you recall, he posted over a week ago on his impressions on Jeanne (this was while Jeane was a LLC chasing her own convection north of the DR). At that time, he called for a loop, followed by a turn toward Florida while strengthening to a cat 3-4. Talk about nailing it. LI Phil, I don't recall what thread it was in, but it definitely deservs the kudos.

Stay safe everyone. This one is going to be bad, very bad. Especially if residents are as complacent as the news is stating.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
CatInOrlando

Reged: Sat
Loc: Orlando, FL 28:24N 81:26W
Update from Orlando [Re: LI Phil]
      #31880 - Sat Sep 25 2004 01:58 PM

I am still at work today, was supposed to work until 7:30pm, not sure if I am going to or leave early to get back to the house before things start picking up too much. Just got back from lunch break, watching the news and the weather channel and news13 (local central fl). Official evacuation orders for mobile homes in Orange county have been posted. I was a little surprised at how emphatic they are being about evacuation orders (I approve, by the way), and noticing that people beach side arent going, not nearly in the numbers as before. Not sure if it is "hurricane fatigue" or people are just getting bold.

Was also supposed to work tomorrow, but I dont think that is happening. I am going to "hunker down" at the house, with all our mobile home friend "refugees" and try to stay out of trouble.

I finally registered today, so I can login from work or home, no more "anonymous user".

Justin in Miami
Storm Tracker

Reged: Thu
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Ready to go.. [Re: Liz L.]
      #31881 - Sat Sep 25 2004 02:00 PM

Well, I must say that putting all the shutters up this time was much faster than the last time I think we are seeing her wobble a little in both directions. Folks down here (Broward County) are definitely not expecting much from this storm...and I can't blame them. Nevertheless, I am prepared.

Amory Bl
Unregistered

Re: model diagnostics [Re: MrSpock]
      #31882 - Sat Sep 25 2004 02:00 PM

It seems to me that the latest models are suggesting that Jeanne will traverse the peninsula and get to the GOM. Is this correct?

HCW
Storm Tracker

Loc: Mobile,AL
Re: Gonna shut down and 'Hunker' down PDQ [Re: Daytonaman]
      #31883 - Sat Sep 25 2004 02:02 PM

How much time do ya'll expect this storm to spend in the GOM ?

--------------------
Over 4,000 members and now on a new server

http://www.hardcoreweather.com

Liz L.
Weather Watcher

Loc: St Cloud, Florida
Re: Update from Orlando [Re: CatInOrlando]
      #31884 - Sat Sep 25 2004 02:03 PM

1:57 pm here in st cloud florida, gray skies very very windy, dead branches flying off trees already. some people are boarded up others are not. I dont understand why people are not taking this seriously. they are being very complacement about it all. Me i have two boys and my husband i worry about and want to make sure we are safe and are home is safe enough to ride with witch out. I wish they would understand this is getting to be a bad outlook for orkando and the surrounding areas. please please if your not prepared get there we only have a short time left and if your not prepared i see alot of hardship happening to my fellow central floridians. I know were all tired but come on think be prepared please.

carol_melbourne
Unregistered

Re: Latest WV [Re: clyde w.]
      #31885 - Sat Sep 25 2004 02:03 PM

I can't speak for beachside residents, the ones under mandatory evac, but almost none of my neighbors that left for Frances have left this time. So the lack of congested roads may be because people who live somewhat inland aren't going anywhere this time. I certainly hope the people in evac areas aren't planning to ride this one out.

Justin in Miami
Storm Tracker

Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Looks like a wobble to the west right now [Re: Amory Bl]
      #31886 - Sat Sep 25 2004 02:04 PM

Anybody agree?

Storm Cooper
User

Loc: Panama City , FL
Re: Gonna shut down and 'Hunker' down PDQ [Re: HCW]
      #31887 - Sat Sep 25 2004 02:05 PM

I really don't think it ever will make it into the GOM..... but it is possible.

--------------------
Hurricane Season 2017 13/7/1

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
Re: model diagnostics [Re: Amory Bl]
      #31888 - Sat Sep 25 2004 02:05 PM

only the ETA takes it into the GOM, but it has been a SW outlier in most instances, and probably is again. It looks to me like it will be east of Tampa, heading towards Ga.
If the anticipated turn is put off for only a few hours, that will change the track.

jimm56
Unregistered

Re: Jeanne Strengthening Now a Category 3 Hurricane [Re: MikeC]
      #31889 - Sat Sep 25 2004 02:06 PM

Accuweather just said that the winds could be up to 135 mph at landfall. This would be very bad news for Florida

Terri
Weather Watcher

Loc: Richmond Hill, GA
Re: model diagnostics [Re: MrSpock]
      #31890 - Sat Sep 25 2004 02:08 PM

Quote:

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/pmdhmd.html

This is an excellent discusion on the models, more in depth than some Musher is a good writer.
He discusses the situation with Jeanne in pretty good detail.

I agree, MrSpock. Musher is a good writer. He did not commit the unpardonable sin in writing, the sin against clarity. I was able to understand (and I'm a novice) exactly what he was trying to say.

otter

Reged: Tue
Re: Thomas email update just in [Re: Wanna-Be-Storm-Chaser]
      #31891 - Sat Sep 25 2004 02:08 PM

I'm in Darien on the Ga. coast also surrounded by lots of live oaks. Not many here have boarded up. Do any on ya'll think we should? They said Hugo was gonna get us, then Floyd...been lucky so far.

leetdan
Weather Guru

Loc: Osceola County
Re: Radar [Re: Amory Bl]
      #31892 - Sat Sep 25 2004 02:10 PM

Yeah, KAMX showed about 10 frames just north of west, then the last four frames back to the previous lattitude. We evacuated the family marina (which is still out of business from Frances), and we finally convinced my father to evacuate with the rest of us ten miles west (we are in a rather low-lying CAT3 evac zone).

Stay safe, everybody.

--------------------
[witty phrase here]

Wxwatcher2
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc:
Re: Update from Orlando [Re: CatInOrlando]
      #31893 - Sat Sep 25 2004 02:12 PM

One of the problems is where are the coastal people supposed to go? Certainly not to Orlando where it's possible to get really nasty conditions.
THe best they can do is if they are in a solid home away from the beach, stay put and hunker down.

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Re: model diagnostics [Re: Terri]
      #31894 - Sat Sep 25 2004 02:12 PM

You should have read the one from last night. It said almost nothing. I don't remember who wrote it, but I think they are (or should be) conscious of the fact that these discussions, while normally not read, are probably seeing a much larger audience than normal.
FYI, that discussion comes out twice per day, around 6z and 18Z

Edited by MrSpock (Sat Sep 25 2004 02:15 PM)

Pam was in Vero
Unregistered

#31895 - Sat Sep 25 2004 02:15 PM

I know some of the people were staying closer this time but getting off of the island. There are always a few who will stay. We had to scare the bejesus out of my father-in-law to get him into a shelter. The one thing no one is saying... a lot of people don't have the money to leave again. Some have had no income for up to 2-3 weeks.

ShaggyDude
Weather Guru

Loc: Cocoa Beach, Florida
      #31896 - Sat Sep 25 2004 02:15 PM

Well, I can tell you that here in CB, almost nobody is leaving - people here don't have any money anymore. I can't tell you one single neighbor around that has left. The power flickered off about a half hour and winds shift from nearly t.s. gusts to nearly calm. People generally are in their houses or making last minute preparations.
I'll continue to inform until I can't anymore.

Interstate4Jamming

Loc: Lakeland, Florida
      #31897 - Sat Sep 25 2004 02:16 PM

The meteorologists on Tampa's WFLA did a freeze frame over three hours to look closer at that supposed northerly bump. It actually looked more like a "stair-step" where it moved ever so slightly north of due west, then over the past hour moved due west once again. Just more like an ever so slight wobble, IMHO

--------------------
Visit my blog, Interstate4Jamming, a personal commentary on Polk County/Tampa Bay/Central Florida politics, life, and other issues of interest. Polk County is truly The Center Of It All, and there's never really a dull moment!

Unregistered

#31898 - Sat Sep 25 2004 02:17 PM

The Melbourne radar loops are not showing any tendencies other than a direct westerly direction. Since these get updated every 10 minutes or so, they tend seem to be a better tracking method then the satellite images now that Jeanne is close enough for radar coverage.

Just my opinion & everybody's got one - Bob

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 170 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 64103

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center