F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

Off-Topic >> Everything and Nothing

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
DeLandT
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Sat
Loc: Parrish, FL
LI Phil
      #32283 - Sat Sep 25 2004 10:40 PM

Quote:

Listen up...for those of you who have just registered and are aggravated with Phil for posting about football, I want to tell you something.

LI Phil has worked his butt off keeping people updated with maps, links, personal thoughts, etc. He did it with Charley, Frances, Ivan, and now Jeanne. He's stayed up countless nights to keep those who are here a majority of the time updated with the latest information he can get.
I live in Central Florida. I am now going through 3 major hurricanes in less than 2 months. I am stressed out, too. But to jump all over Phil because he posted a few things about football is not fair to him. He's more dedicated to this site than anyone I know. For those of us who ARE in the the heart of this storm, a now and then OT post is a welcome diversion.
I would ask any of you that have just begun posting if you would be able to fill Phil's shoes. I think the answer would be NO. He (and others) have taken time to answer your questions, your concerns and have done it with much willingness to help you and others to stay safe. So WHAT if he mentions football? Life DOES go on, people. We all know what we're in store for, we've been talking about it for 4-5 days now, the time is here, what else is there to say? I, for one, am glad to take a break from what will be a hellish night, to post a couple of off-topic posts. We can only say the same thing so many times. You will know shortly what you will get, believe me.
So let's all take a deep breath and slow down. Phil does a fantastic job, and I don't want to lose him because some people don't want to hear about football. Lay off of him, he nailed this storm 3 days ago when people thought that the NHC track was the only one to go by. I think he's done a damn good job for the newbies and maybe you should appreciate what you have in a guy like Phil than complain about him.
And ya know what? If you don't like the off-topic posts..which do not happen frequently when we're going through something like this, you can change the channel and find another place that suits you better.
You might not like this post, but at this point, I don't like the pettiness. You are complaining about him talking about football and then post more posts about him posting about football.
Mike, John, Ed, Storm Coop or anyone else with the power to do so can delete this as an off-topic post, and that's fine. I'm just telling you what I know as a longtime member of this forum that Phil does not deserve to be beat up for a couple of posts about football.

Amen Colleen A.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Weather Guru

Reged: Wed
Loc: Parrish Fl
Re: LI Phil [Re: DeLandT]
      #32312 - Sat Sep 25 2004 10:58 PM

I second that!

DMFischer
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Fri
Loc: Palm Bay
      #32315 - Sat Sep 25 2004 10:59 PM

::Jumping up and giving Colleen a standing ovation:: You go girl. I know that Phil has taught me tons with his posts and at the same time it seems he knows when a laugh is seriously needed by all. We all are hurricane exhausted and if I could get my hands around the eye of this hurricane, I think I would just have to strangle the energy outta her bands.
Phil: All I can say to you is thank you for all you do for this board and those of us that need the laugh or the occasional OT. God Bless you, Mike, John, Phil and others that put time and effort in keeping this place up for us to come and learn, find comfort and yea, that laugh.
:climbing off soap box:

--------------------
Survived: Mitch '98-Charley's crossing'04-Frances '04-Jeanne'04 Survived near fatal fear from Floyd's threat.
Nearly grew gills with Fay'08

LI Phil
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: LI Phil [Re: DMFischer]
      #32743 - Sun Sep 26 2004 11:44 AM

To those who posted on my behalf, I cannot thank you all enough...I have just awakened after a very fitful sleep, in part worrying about all you guys down there and in part because today is also a deeply personal one for me.

One year ago today, my wife and I split after 10 years of marriage...I won't go into the details, many of you already know this via numerous PMs.

Since that time, while my small family has been supportive, emotions are not something we can display all that readily.

The most excellent folks who run these boards (Mike, John & Ed), my co-mods Coop & HF, and everyone who posts here have become my family...the support shown last night in the middle of a hurricane on my behalf cannot be sufficiently appreciated...

In short, thank you thank you thank you!

Not only is today a very trying day personally, but I have to work off-site and won't even have computer access.

I'll be back on this evening.

Everyone stay safe and god bless!

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged: Thu
Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
Re: LI Phil [Re: LI Phil]
      #32773 - Sun Sep 26 2004 12:51 PM

I'm sorry I wasn't there to stick up for you, I'll be there next time. The whole divorce thing tell me about it. My parents are divorced too, and it's not pretty.

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

Edited by Keith234 (Sun Sep 26 2004 12:51 PM)

Storm Cooper
User

Loc: Panama City , FL
      #32777 - Sun Sep 26 2004 01:03 PM

DeLandT, I agree with you 100%. LI Phil does a ton of work here....for free to boot. I wish I had more time to devote here but he by far does the job and does it well. I regret I was not on when all this happened and maybe that was for the best but in short..... if you don't like what you see...go elsewhere.

Coop

--------------------
Hurricane Season 2017 13/7/1

StormKrone
Weather Watcher

Reged: Mon
Loc: Jacksonville, FL
      #32780 - Sun Sep 26 2004 01:16 PM

Yeah.... what they all said.... several times over...

The other thing I would say is that when, in the midst of fear, grief, trauma, etc., we can talk about mundane things and even laugh... we are affirming that life does go on... that this too shall pass... and that we are all human..

Thank you, LI Phil...
Dee

Terri
Weather Watcher

Loc: Richmond Hill, GA
      #32784 - Sun Sep 26 2004 01:46 PM

Thank you for all you do, Phil. You are the man!!!

Redbird
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Central Florida
      #33002 - Mon Sep 27 2004 03:07 PM

Hi

I too was unhappy to find out yesterday that someone tore Phil a new one simply because he made post in reference to football scores. In our scaredness, we might have benefitted from having a diversion.

I can say he has given me valuable information in the many times of need this season. He was there last year when Isabel was a cat 5 storm threatening the SE coast line. I was a lurker than who on occasion posted unregistered.

To those who might be new here need to understand that the longtime posters have developed bonds with one another after going thru several storms together online so it is natural that we talk about our lives and what have you.

Last but not least this is a FREE site and those that run it like Phil should be treated with some sort of kindness...........

Phil please don't split on the board even though at times it seems you give more to us than your outside of your job life.

Spike
Storm Tracker

Loc: Central, Florida
Re: LI Phil [Re: Redbird]
      #33053 - Mon Sep 27 2004 07:40 PM

I'm sorry Li Phil that i wasnt here also. LI Phil is great he has helped me and many other people alot on here! To think that people would bitch and moan about something like football thats just stupid. You should consiter how much he has helped us all!

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 8 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Colleen A., danielw, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5880

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center