F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)
SkeetoBiteAdministrator
Master of Maps

Reged:
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: Lakeland [Re: Unregistered User]
      #32621 - Sun Sep 26 2004 11:56 AM

Yeah... here's our forecast from the NWS:

Today: Occasional rain and possibly a thunderstorm. Some of the storms could produce heavy rainfall. Chance of precipitation is 90%. High near 83. Windy, with a north northeast wind 90 to 93 mph becoming south 66 to 69 mph. New rainfall amounts between three and four inches possible.

Looks like we're gonna get a little wind today.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
OrlandoDan
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Longwood, FL
      #32622 - Sun Sep 26 2004 11:57 AM

It sure would be nice to see Skeetobite's local forecast map right now. It will really hit some populated areas in Hillsbourough county (Tampa's county).

USFTampa
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Tampa, FL
Re: exit path [Re: rule]
      #32624 - Sun Sep 26 2004 11:58 AM

Update from Tampa, in Temple Terrace, winds are gusting heavily- getting worse by the hour. Probably close to 50mph at times, but still more occasional. By some miracle, we have electricity, but it is flickering. We lost it for 4 days in Frances quite early on- go figure. Well, the power is flickering and about to go, hope this post makes it- see you after the storm! I wish everyone good luck!

--------------------
J-Roc
USF Climatology Grad Student

Hurric
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Port St. Lucie, Fl
      #32625 - Sun Sep 26 2004 11:58 AM

OK here in PSL. some minor damage my house. Saw stars and moon in eye. HOpe everyone is Ok. Reports local sound .
backup power failing GTG
Hurric

Ronn
User

Reged:
Loc: Seminole, FL
Re: Spring Hill Winds [Re: Unregistered User]
      #32626 - Sun Sep 26 2004 12:15 PM

Winds are steadily increasing here in Pinellas County. We are now experiencing regular gusts of 50-55mph. The current pressure is 29.29in and falling. The main CDO is less than one hour from my location. I will attempt a trip to the coastline early this afternoon to photograph the storm and take wind readings when the winds become onshore. If power is still on, I will report back here.

Ronn

CentralFlorida
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Port Richey FL
Re: exit path [Re: USFTampa]
      #32628 - Sun Sep 26 2004 12:17 PM

Here in Port Richey winds been steady around 40 mph some heavy rain bands. Now winds picking up have some shingles flipping up and down on roof. I can hear then beating in the roof. Still power hasnt flickered all night. will be on as long as i can providing power stays on. Be safe everyone

--------------------
Survived Charley, Jeanne, Frances, Ivan and my Wife

dwlobo
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Palmetto, FL
Re: exit path [Re: USFTampa]
      #32629 - Sun Sep 26 2004 12:22 PM

We're steady at 35 mph with multiple gusts to low 50's. I expect to see the wind start to increasing shortly. Pressure is falling. I'm not going to mention our power situation... don't want to jink it!

alan
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Apopka, FL
Re: exit path [Re: dwlobo]
      #32631 - Sun Sep 26 2004 12:31 PM

Here in NW Orange County, it's pretty gusty. We've seen some of the strongest gusts we've had with all three of the hurricanes. We just had a huge potted plant on the back deck go down. Didn't bring it in because I can't lift it. It's at least 100 pounds. It didn't move during the first two.
We should do a role call to see who's still here.

RONJON
Unregistered

Re: exit path [Re: Unregistered User]
      #32632 - Sun Sep 26 2004 12:32 PM

Actually, Jeanne will be seriously weakened by being over land for 16 hours plus. Once the storm goes back over water, it takes time to regenerate. Plus, the gulf shelf waters are relatively cool (upwelling from Ivan), about 79 deg, so it doesn't have the high octane juice like the gulf stream to work with.

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: exit path [Re: dwlobo]
      #32633 - Sun Sep 26 2004 12:32 PM

Here in Lakeland, we have power at my house still. We lost it in the last storm and they fixed it back better than new. Lost cable briefly. We have a lot of branches down, shingles in the yard and the winds are still gusting to hurricane force. It largely looks identical to what they are showing on Television from where ever you may be watching or reading. We are about 40 statute miles from Tampa city limits by automobile. I am not sure what that means to a hurricane since it can go across curves etc. We have had some tense moments here, but we are still ok. It is too bad to do more than stand afar from windows and try to see anything. I am not looking forward to the backside of this storm which we will get and the tornadoes that will come if the eye gets to the gulf. Last time with Frances after it made it to the gulf we got our greatest tornado threats. I know we had some pass over us even if they did not touch down this time. A good day's sleep would be nice since I m expect to show up for work tomorrow. Thats the report from here. Will check back in two hours if anything new to report. Will be lurking if anyone has a question I can answer,.

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

recmod
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Seminole County [Re: dwlobo]
      #32634 - Sun Sep 26 2004 12:34 PM

Spent a night of fitful sleep. Starting around 4am, the wind really started howling, waking me up. Right now, winds are the worst they have been so far. Local mets say we are recording gust to 80mph. Rain is torrential. I would say this is worse than Frances....but not as bad as Charley was..so far. When Charley roared through, conditions got so bad that we huddled in a hallway, fearing the roof was coming off. So far, things haven't gotten to that point.

--Lou

bub
Unregistered

Re: exit path [Re: alan]
      #32635 - Sun Sep 26 2004 12:35 PM

East Orange county here. Have had a few gusts to 75mph.
Seems to be the strongest right now...
Only some minor tree damage so far (Charlie took care of the trees...) Looks like Orlando might make it through this in pretty fair shape. Good luck to everyone!

ShanaTX
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Texas
Re: Jeanne Landfalls Near Stuart, FL [Re: danielw]
      #32636 - Sun Sep 26 2004 12:36 PM

Updated live feed list

Tampa

http://www.wfla.com/ live feed
http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2004/9/26/56414.html list of radio stations simulcasting Bay News 9
http://www.wfla.com/ list of radio stations simulcasting
http://www.tampabays10.com/ - live feed

KC
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Naples, FL
Re: exit path [Re: alan]
      #32637 - Sun Sep 26 2004 12:38 PM

All is well in Naples. We were, once again, on the outskirts. Winds still gusting in the 40's, still getting some rain showers from time to time.

OrlandoDan
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Longwood, FL
Re: Jeanne Landfalls Near Stuart, FL [Re: ShanaTX]
      #32638 - Sun Sep 26 2004 12:40 PM

Sothwest Seminole County here. Winds are terrible. Cells of one of the middle-outter bands keep rolling in. Lost power for a few seconds. This is worse than Charley and Charley came through only about 5 miles to my east.

RONJON
Unregistered

Re: Hernando Beach Conditions (40 miles north of Clearwater on GOM) [Re: MikeC]
      #32639 - Sun Sep 26 2004 12:41 PM

At 8:33 am, just getting into main squall band...sustained winds from the N-NE at 29 mph with gusts to 38 mph. Pressure 29.32 inches and falling rapidly. Total rainfall 0.12 in.

Ronn
User

Reged:
Loc: Seminole, FL
Re: Jeanne Landfalls Near Stuart, FL [Re: OrlandoDan]
      #32640 - Sun Sep 26 2004 12:44 PM

Orlando Intl Airport reported a gust of 75mph as of the 8am hourly report.

LadyStorm
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: United States
Accuweather discussion [Re: MikeC]
      #32641 - Sun Sep 26 2004 12:52 PM

JEANNE MAKES LANDFALL IN FLORIDA AND CONTINUES MOVING INLAND

As of 8:00 a.m. EDT Saturday cat 2 hurricane Jeanne was located near 27.7 north and 81.5 west or about 25 miles east-southeast of Bartow, Florida. Maximum sustained winds are near 115 mph with higher gusts and Jeanne is heading slightly north of west-northwest at 12 mph. Central pressure is measured at 960 millibars or 28.35inches. Jeanne made landfall at 11:50 PM on September 25th near the south end of Hutchinson Island just east of Stuart. This is about 5 miles or so north of where Hurricane Frances made landfall 3 weeks ago. Jeanne was a Category 3 hurricane at the time of landfall, making this the first time since 1950 that Florida has been hit directly by two Category 3 or higher hurricanes. The eye itself looks to be attempting to compacting inward gradually. The center of Jeanne will likely track into Hillsborough County. The center of Jeanne will likely pass very close to Tampa. Storm surge will continue to be a problem south of Tampa Bay and along the west and south side of Tampa Bay this morning. Residents in the Tampa area can expect gusts of 50 to 85 mph as Jeanne passes through. Tornadoes will remain a threat north of Interstate 4. Locally heavy rains will continue to cause flooding in low-lying and poor drainage areas.

--------------------
"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of
thinking we were at when we created them"

..........Albert Einstein

Andy Dorr

Reged:
Loc: Sarasota, Florida
Re: Jeanne Landfalls Near Stuart, FL [Re: OrlandoDan]
      #32642 - Sun Sep 26 2004 12:54 PM

Sarasota, Florida 8:47 AM, Strong TS level winds since 6:30 AM. Stronger than Charley or Frances. Power is fluctuating. Eye is about 65 miles Northeast of us, near four corners (Polk, Hardee, Manatee, and Hillsborough Counties). Gusts to 60 mph. Surprisingly little rain so far, less than ¼”. Very exciting weather event! Good luck to Tampa. Central Florida Hurricane is terrific.

belleami
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: St George Island/ Apalachicola
Re:WHERE WILL SHE EXIT - WHERE WILL SHE RE-ENTER? [Re: Andy Dorr]
      #32643 - Sun Sep 26 2004 12:59 PM

Hernando? and St. Marks?
Tampa? and Steinhatchee?
Crystal River? and Cedar Key?

Who knows?
But as long as it is east of me! I am weary....

--------------------
hang on!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 65 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 101266

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center