F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)
alan
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Wed
Loc: Apopka, FL
Re: Thoughs on Jeanne [Re: cindylou]
      #32420 - Sun Sep 26 2004 12:40 AM

Quote:

I'm little nervous, but here goes my first post:

I found this site during Ivan and quickly became hooked ... many thanks to all of you for sharing your knowledge and time!

I'm in Dixie County, on the West Coast near the mouth of the Suwannee River. Our county is very small (population and budget wise) and although everyone here works very hard and does their best, it sometimes seems harder to get local information here than in the bigger cities. (media, website, etc.)

It looks like the storm is projected to pass close to here. Can someone give an opinion about what we can expect? I promise not to hold you to it ...

It's too early to say for sure, because there are several of us who wonder if it won't be further south than what the NHC is calling for.
But, you should always go by their judgement first and they say it will be right near Cedar Key with winds of 50 mph. Some trees will be blown down and there will be some power outages.

Anyone still up from Melbourne. My son lives on Dairy Road with the ex-wife. Would really like to know what's going on. I'm watching the news and it's not pretty.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MBolton
Unregistered

Re: Jeanne Landfalls Near Stuart, FL [Re: Unregistered User]
      #32421 - Sun Sep 26 2004 12:41 AM

I think you will be safe in either location. I'm in Savannah, GA but don't expect must here that we haven't seen before during a thunderstorm. I don't know how old your kids are -- but perhaps having the entire family together at the hospital at Gainesville (actually I spent the night there once myself with a snakebite) would be a good choice. The winds will be minimal there.

Best Wished.

FireAng85
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Sat
Loc: Mount Dora, FL 32757
Re: Jeanne Landfalls Near Stuart, FL [Re: Colleen A.]
      #32422 - Sun Sep 26 2004 12:42 AM

Here's what's going on in East Orange County right now:
Advanced Observations For:

Discovery MS
Orlando, FL
Elevation: 106ft

Data as of: 12:34 AM 9/26/2004
Current Conditions
Temperature: 76.2°F Pressure: 29.48"
Average Wind: 19mph NE
Humidity: 82%
Dew Point: 71°F
Heat Index: 81°F Monthly Rain: 4.65"

So Far Today
High: 79°F Rain: 0.12" Rain Rate: 0.00"/h
Low: 76 °F Gusts: 47mph NNE

The metal roof on this building is making a hell of a noise. Our generator still hasn't cranked up, but it is loud out there! I hate these storms. It's going to get alot worse than this, I know. I hate the noises these storms make.

--------------------
Angie Robertson
OCFRD
"So others may live"

AmoryBl
Unregistered

Re: Jeanne Landfalls Near Stuart, FL [Re: MBolton]
      #32423 - Sun Sep 26 2004 12:43 AM

Does anyone in Polk Co. think that this might be worse than Frances due to the speed of the storm?

kelcot
Weather Guru

Loc: Canton, Ga
Re: Jeanne Landfalls Near Stuart, FL [Re: FireAng85]
      #32424 - Sun Sep 26 2004 12:44 AM

spoke to mom in Vero about an hour ago. Her and the dog are camped out in the bathroom. She lost power a while ago. She said it gets pretty scarry sounding outside, but she's okay.

--------------------
Kelly

AdvAutoBob
Weather Watcher

Loc: Cape Coral, FL
Re: Let's Try This Again [Re: Tazmanian93]
      #32425 - Sun Sep 26 2004 12:44 AM

Quote:

In 6 hours Jeanne moved from 27.1 to 27.2

And Dr. Lyons will still be forecasting "the northward turn" when Jeanne makes landfall in TX

--------------------
"Chance favors the prepared mind"

SkeetoBiteAdministrator
Master of Maps

Reged: Sun
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: Jeanne Landfalls Near Stuart, FL [Re: MikeC]
      #32426 - Sun Sep 26 2004 12:45 AM

Latest path and graphical wind field

New users:
These maps are based on the forecast coordinates from the National Hurricane Center. Do not focus strictly on the path forecast as large errors may occur. All areas under warning must prepare.

If a watch or warning is issued for your area, follow the advice & directions of your local news source or official weather outlet. Your local news is the best source for updates and alerts as these storms move on shore.

The wind fields depicted are based on maritime winds and are not as large or concentric over land.

Note to dial up users: This is a 124k file - (about +/- 30 second DL @ 56k)

Full size image available here: www.skeetobite.com/weather/maps/jeanne_windfld50.jpg

tenavilla
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Thu
Loc: Tampa Area
Re: 11pm Forecast Map [Re: RevUp]
      #32427 - Sun Sep 26 2004 12:45 AM

Quote:

Why does everyone want to compare TV mets against NHC, and trash NHC? They complement each other. TV mets are doing a lot of now-casting and time filling; their story is sometimes about as fickle as the wind. NHC only issues once every 2-6 hours. Their roles are supposed to complement each other. Any TV met that trashes NHC on air doesn't deserve to be there.

None of the mets I've seen have trashed the NHC. Just because they say they're not entirely sure that the NHC track will verify doesn't mean they're trashing them. Disagreeing is not the same as trashing. And...before anyone says anything, all the mets I've seen have also said to listen to officials/NHC and evacuate/prepare when asked. Because the NHC only adjusts their track every 6 hours, that does leave a lot of room for error, especially after landfall when you're dealing with moment to moment changes that make a huge difference in how areas are affected. The fact that it's staying west longer than the NHC expected makes an enormous difference in where it ultimately goes. The local mets are able to react to those things much more quickly than the NHC. For instance, the NHC won't adjust their track until 5am, when it will already be more than halfway across the state.

kelcot
Weather Guru

Loc: Canton, Ga
Re: Jeanne Landfalls Near Stuart, FL [Re: Colleen A.]
      #32428 - Sun Sep 26 2004 12:45 AM

Quote:

Lakeland...pressures dropping and I know that because my ears are popping and my head feels like I have a vise around it.

Time for another aspirin.

Hey, Col! If your ears are still popping, try chewing on some gum or sucking on a sucker.

--------------------
Kelly

Weather Guru

Loc: Parrish Fl
Re: 11pm Forecast Map [Re: RevUp]
      #32429 - Sun Sep 26 2004 12:46 AM

This local met supposed trash talkin is like dejavu! I think it was Francis that the local met comparisons took place. Imo they have to do 24hr coverage with the radar right in front of them and the viewers and if it aint goin right yet then they cant say see the north turn, something like that im sure you get my drift.

1994plj

Re: Jeanne Landfalls Near Stuart, FL [Re: AmoryBl]
      #32430 - Sun Sep 26 2004 12:46 AM

Friend in Tampa reports as of 11:30 pm, authorities are going to mobile home parks in Pinellas County with bullhorns and evacuating residents onto school busses.

Edited by 1994plj (Sun Sep 26 2004 12:50 AM)

rugrats
Unregistered

Re: Let's Try This Again [Re: scottsvb]
      #32431 - Sun Sep 26 2004 12:47 AM

Scott I must compliment you on your posts they are very informative, however I am sometimes dense with what I am reading!! My question is...do you think this will make it out into the GOM? From what I read in your post and my limited knowledge of what town is where, I assuming that it will make it close to the west coast and then start its turn never entering the GOM, is that correct?
Sorry for the stupid question but I just wanted to make sure I understood what you were getting at!
To all who are going through this "nightmare" God bless you and thoughts and prayers are extended to you and yours.

RevUp
Weather Guru

Loc:
Re: Let's Try This Again [Re: 52255225]
      #32432 - Sun Sep 26 2004 12:48 AM

Quote:

Thanks Scott! Dennis Phillips is saying he wouldnt be surprised if it exits right over man/sarasota county. Atleast it will only be a 1 or less.

Well, it's after midnight, and the guy has resorted to saying anything that pops into his head. How irresponsible! Sarasota Co.? C'mon!

carol_melbourne
Unregistered

Re: Jeanne Landfalls Near Stuart, FL [Re: danielw]
      #32433 - Sun Sep 26 2004 12:49 AM

We're on the edge of cat 1 winds now in Melbourne. So far very Frances-like but it could get worse if landfall does make her turn further north. The good news is, my power isn't even flickering this time. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Vero Beach and south must be getting it bad about now.

Weather Guru

Loc: Parrish Fl
Re: 11pm Forecast Map [Re: 52255225]
      #32434 - Sun Sep 26 2004 12:50 AM

see tenavillas post thats what I really had in mind! boy my mind is going, its getting late but im afraid to go to bed. The wind is starting to howl every once in awhile.

RevUp
Weather Guru

Loc:
Re: 11pm Forecast Map [Re: tenavilla]
      #32435 - Sun Sep 26 2004 12:53 AM

Quote:

None of the mets I've seen have trashed the NHC. Just because they say they're not entirely sure that the NHC track will verify doesn't mean they're trashing them. Disagreeing is not the same as trashing. And...before anyone says anything, all the mets I've seen have also said to listen to officials/NHC and evacuate/prepare when asked. Because the NHC only adjusts their track every 6 hours, that does leave a lot of room for error, especially after landfall when you're dealing with moment to moment changes that make a huge difference in how areas are affected. The fact that it's staying west longer than the NHC expected makes an enormous difference in where it ultimately goes. The local mets are able to react to those things much more quickly than the NHC. For instance, the NHC won't adjust their track until 5am, when it will already be more than halfway across the state.

Good point. Yes, you're right, they don't trash NHC, but I've seen one or two come close -- they don't dare bite the hand that feeds them.

--------------------
"Let tomorrow worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

Colleen A.

Reged: Sat
Loc: Florida
Heads UP, Polk County! [Re: Tazmanian93]
      #32436 - Sun Sep 26 2004 12:55 AM

The beginning of the effects on Polk County are about to hit us in about 30-45 minutes. Max Mayfield just said that we are going to see the beginnings of the worst between 3-6am.
Denis Phillips is expecting the track to shift further south...which is even worse for us.
So if you're not prepared right now, get ready. I just heard a large "BOOM" and I don't know what the heck it was, but ABC News reporter in Bartow just talked about a large explosion---more than likely a transformer. If that's what I heard, ...well, I'm ten miles from Bartow.
Hang on to your hats, folks. Get your flashlights ready, and you may want to put fresh batteries in a radio because if the power goes off there are many radio stations that broadcasting simultaneously with the various stations---and you're not going to want to go through this without a reassuring voice from somewhere.
Other things: IF you lose power, unplug your appliances that you aren't using (if you don't have a generator) such as your stereo system, washers and dryers, stove, computers, etc. If you have the old-fashioned cord phones, find them and plug them in because even if we lose power, we may not lose phone service.
Just trying to pass on information as they give it out on the news stations.
Ok, a tree branch just hit the side window of my house. Oh yeah, if you have a fireplace, close the flue. Don't want torrential rains coming in from the chimney.
I am running on pure adrenaline right now and when this is all said and done I think I'll be sleeping for a week.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl.
good live video coverage [Re: RevUp]
      #32437 - Sun Sep 26 2004 12:55 AM

http://www.tcpalm.com/

been watching live coverage....pretty good station ....nbc 5

jeanne needs to begin turn or she'll be in GOM in morning near tampa!

--------------------
www.Stormhunter7.com ***see my flight into Hurricane Ike ***
Wx Data: KFLPANAM23 / CW8771
2012== 23/10/9/5 sys/strms/hurr/majh

LI Phil
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Anyone? Anyone? [Re: RevUp]
      #32438 - Sun Sep 26 2004 12:56 AM

Got this message in a PM, any help would be appreciated:

My husband is scheduled to go to West Palm on Monday. Are the airports closed as of now?

Any news about the WPB power outages?

Thanks

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Staggy
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Thu
Loc: Lutz, FL
Re: Let's Try This Again [Re: LI Phil]
      #32439 - Sun Sep 26 2004 12:56 AM

Thanks Phil! Great news on Richie! Keep up the good work!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 87 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 100947

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center