F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 232 (Idalia) , Major: 232 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 232 (Idalia) Major: 232 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)
RONJON
Unregistered

Re: Jeanne Rainfall Totals [Re: MikeC]
      #32678 - Sun Sep 26 2004 10:01 AM

Doppler estimates for total storm rainfall for most of Polk County are now 4-6 inches. A small area near Lakeland ranges from 6-8 inches. And rainfall rates of 1-2 in/hr continue. With the storms forward motion slowing, I'm getting concerned about major flooding in Polk County.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
RevUp
Weather Guru

Reged: Sun
Loc:
Re: Jeanne Inland, Still Moving West to West Northwest [Re: Ocala]
      #32679 - Sun Sep 26 2004 10:02 AM

Quote:

Quote:

YES! i was just going to post about the NNW movement i see on the MLB radar. It almost looks north, but it's probably just a wobble

Can you post a link? Thanks. All my bookmarks are on my office computer.

From links posted above ...
Tampa Bay Radar

--------------------
"Let tomorrow worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own."

Lurker99
Unregistered

Re: Jeanne Inland, Still Moving West to West Northwest [Re: RevUp]
      #32680 - Sun Sep 26 2004 10:05 AM

My daughter at thismomoent is diving her Jeep Wrangler in NE Hillsborough County, trying to get to her Dad's home. How much danger is she in right now, considering the location and the vehicle?

Ocala
Weather Watcher

Reged: Sat
Loc: Ocala, FL
Re: Jeanne Inland, Still Moving West to West Northwest [Re: rule]
      #32681 - Sun Sep 26 2004 10:06 AM

Thanks for the links. Channel 2 in Orlando is saying it looks like it is slowing down, maybe indicative that it might be changing direction.

dwlobo
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Palmetto, FL
Re: Jeanne Inland, Still Moving West to West Northwest [Re: Andy Dorr]
      #32682 - Sun Sep 26 2004 10:12 AM

Here in Palmetto, the wind is holding steady at 45, with gusts to 60. More branches coming down from the oak trees. Getting a wicked rain band now. Pressure is still going down, now at 29.17.
I sail a lot and we talk about the wind blowing the dog off the chain... it almost literally happened to my sheltie this am when I took him for a walk, until I could get into the lee side of the house.

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
Re: Jeanne Rainfall Totals [Re: RONJON]
      #32683 - Sun Sep 26 2004 10:12 AM

It would be interesting to see what the ground truth is in those areas you mentioned, because Doppler estimates can be off. I don't know if this is still the case, but I am assuming it is, but tropical systems tended to be under-reported by Doppler estimates due to droplet size I believe. Just like storms with hail were over-estimated.
If this is no longer true, please feel free to correct me.
Either way, as time goes on, this becomes a story of flood potential and tornadoes. The winds don't seem to have decreased that quickly though, so winds are still an issue in Florida.

RONJON
Unregistered

Re: Jeanne slows, jogs north [Re: Ocala]
      #32684 - Sun Sep 26 2004 10:13 AM

yeah, looks like on the 88D that shes slowed and drifted north..probably a temporary wobble but who knows

RevUp
Weather Guru

Loc:
Re: Jeanne Inland, Still Moving West to West Northwest [Re: Ocala]
      #32685 - Sun Sep 26 2004 10:14 AM

I posted this yesterday morning, but I knew we were in trouble in Tampa when Jacksonville cancelled school for Monday. Maybe that's the jinx necessary to keep these hurricanes away?

--------------------

CentralFlorida
Weather Watcher

Loc: Port Richey FL
Re: Jeanne Inland, Still Moving West to West Northwest [Re: dwlobo]
      #32686 - Sun Sep 26 2004 10:14 AM

not alot of our regulars on here today they must be without power... looks like thats whats headed our way here in florida

--------------------
Survived Charley, Jeanne, Frances, Ivan and my Wife

RevUp
Weather Guru

Loc:
Re: Jeanne slows, jogs north [Re: RONJON]
      #32687 - Sun Sep 26 2004 10:16 AM

Quote:

yeah, looks like on the 88D that shes slowed and drifted north..probably a temporary wobble but who knows

Jerve on TV here still insisting on a west movement, but I could swear I see the beginning of a significant northward shift.

--------------------

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Re: Jeanne Inland, Still Moving West to West Northwest [Re: CentralFlorida]
      #32688 - Sun Sep 26 2004 10:16 AM

yeah, I haven't heard from richisurf since he PM'd me last night, so I have been wondering about him as well.
Phil, have you heard from him?

CentralFlorida
Weather Watcher

Loc: Port Richey FL
Re: Jeanne Inland, Still Moving West to West Northwest [Re: MrSpock]
      #32689 - Sun Sep 26 2004 10:19 AM

I believe last night he lost power but he was ok....think it was posted late last night

--------------------
Survived Charley, Jeanne, Frances, Ivan and my Wife

RONJON
Unregistered

Re: Jeanne Rainfall Totals [Re: MrSpock]
      #32690 - Sun Sep 26 2004 10:20 AM

Mr Spock:

Absolutely, doppler estimates tend to under estimate rainfall with tropical systems...that's why it's disconcerting to see this much rain already with it probably being under reported. The hydrologic conditions are already at extreme high levels, now we're adding possibly 8-12 in of rain on top of that..Lakeland looks to have some serious flooding..I'm thinking winds wil slowly wind down (now 85 sustained) to tropical storm force within the next 4-6 hours.

rule
Weather Guru

Reged: Thu
Loc: Ocala, Florida
Re: Jeanne slows, jogs north [Re: RevUp]
      #32691 - Sun Sep 26 2004 10:21 AM

While I think this is just a wobble, I have to agree the North shift is taking it's time to go back Westward.

That last "band" that came over here actually decreased our winds. More rain, but the wind actually stopped several times and is still diminished.

LadyStorm
Weather Guru

Loc: United States
Re: Jeanne slows, jogs north [Re: RevUp]
      #32692 - Sun Sep 26 2004 10:21 AM

Is it possible that it is just another ERC and not a turn to the north?

Quote:

Quote:

Jerve on TV here still insisting on a west movement, but I could swear I see the beginning of a significant northward shift.

--------------------
"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of
thinking we were at when we created them"

..........Albert Einstein

recmod
Weather Guru

Loc: Orlando, FL
Change Of Course? [Re: CentralFlorida]
      #32693 - Sun Sep 26 2004 10:22 AM

Channel 2 News Met (Mike O'Lenick, I think) are now reporting that Jeanne has turned North and that will mean a much longer duration of severe weather here in the Orlando area. He drew a line on the radar map showing a "new projected" path up the center of the peninsula. I don't know if this is an official change or are the TV mets doing their own thing again???
As for the weather here in Casselberry (Seminole County)...things remain very bad. The rain has gotten even heavier in the past 30 minutes. I stood on my front porch for a few minutes (tryingto get a few pictures ). The wind was so strong that I could not hold the front door closed....I could feel the metal handle "giving way" under the gusts. Needless to say, I ran inside very quickly and slapped the deadbolt back on.
Looks like this could last for much of the day.

--Lou

OrlandoDan
Weather Master

Reged: Mon
Loc: Longwood, FL
Re: Change Of Course? [Re: recmod]
      #32694 - Sun Sep 26 2004 10:23 AM

It definitely looks like a jog north:

http://www.28news.com/images/weather/radar.jpg

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Re: Jeanne Inland, Still Moving West to West Northwest [Re: CentralFlorida]
      #32695 - Sun Sep 26 2004 10:26 AM

Thanks, I must have missed that as I just skimmed all the posts. I remember reading wxrichie had contacted Phil I think also.
I am a little surprised the winds are still as high as they are considering it has been over land for 12 hours. The outflow is still very impressive, which must be slowing the weakening, as it is still evacuating the air spiraling in to the center.
One discussion I read this morning (I think it was the QPF disc.) mentioned that the heavy rain threat was shifting to the north of the center, and in a couple of days, to the north and west of the center due to strong upslope inflow. With the frontal boundary acting as a focusing mechanism in a couple of days, this should remain a very efficient rain (flood) producer even after the winds subside.

I might add a little bit of hindcasting here. The storm moved farther west than the model guidance as a whole, as it has with the last few. The ETA is not one forecasters look at for tropical systems, as it does a poor job, so I am excluding that one. I think the monsters are the ones that give these models fits.

Edited by MrSpock (Sun Sep 26 2004 10:29 AM)

rule
Weather Guru

Loc: Ocala, Florida
Re: Jeanne slows, jogs north [Re: rule]
      #32696 - Sun Sep 26 2004 10:28 AM

Three weeks ago at this time I remember hearing all the transformers blowing up in the neighborhood. I haven't heard a single one yet now.

Actually a blessing for us to have Frances clear the weak stuff out.

Ocala: Here's a link you might could use: http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/obhistory/KOCF.html

Edited by rule (Sun Sep 26 2004 10:30 AM)

vvvteddybearvvvv
Unregistered

Re: Change Of Course? [Re: OrlandoDan]
      #32697 - Sun Sep 26 2004 10:28 AM

whens a good approxment time for when this thing is gonna be done for the winter springs oviedo aera

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 223 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 114310

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center