F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 201 (Idalia) , Major: 201 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 201 (Idalia) Major: 201 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | >> (show all)
Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged: Thu
Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
Re: Comment on Joe Bastardi [Re: LI Phil]
      #33206 - Tue Sep 28 2004 09:13 PM

Yeah, there's a really strong rain band going to come on very soon. My rain guage is at 5.27" it only goes to 8" it might overflow. The wind is a weak 35 mph but that's strong for up here, we rarely get over 50 so this is pretty strong.

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LI Phil
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Rain Guage [Re: Keith234]
      #33207 - Tue Sep 28 2004 09:16 PM

When it gets to 6", you might think about dumping it...we're supposed to get at least 2-3" more before all is said and done!

The rain has now breached my triple pane windows and is dripping onto my sills...this happens maybe once or twice a year!

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
Re: Rain Guage [Re: LI Phil]
      #33208 - Tue Sep 28 2004 09:19 PM

I think I should do that. If you look at the radar, it's just a blob of rain for about 200-300 miles out moving to our direction.

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

Shalafi
Weather Guru

Loc: Altamonte Springs
Re: Rain Guage [Re: LI Phil]
      #33209 - Tue Sep 28 2004 09:32 PM

Welcome to FL! Oh wait you're not here..well I'm glad all you have to worry about is flooding.

We have a septic tank and now it's overflowing. As far as we know it's not turning our yard into a toilet just yet because we noticed it soon. Guy coming out tomorrow morning to pump it. First time it's needed maintenance since '87 so we're doing something right. I'm just glad we don't have a basement for it to backup into...
Stay safe up there! I'm sure you've had your phil of rain already..(sorry, had to get in on the phil puns)

--------------------
Bryan
What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.
God bless
I know very litte about weather. I'm here to learn mostly but will post friendly replies now and then. So if you don't want to see non-weather comments ignore me now. Thanx!

Liz L.
Weather Watcher

Loc: St Cloud, Florida
Re: Rain Guage [Re: Shalafi]
      #33210 - Tue Sep 28 2004 09:43 PM

I must say here in St CLoud we have some minor flloding issues, but overall we are surviving. I think our power company OUC cut the power to save transformers etc. Whatever they did we had power restored fairly quicky. Thank God. Many power polls are serverly bent and in need of replacing but they say very few are without power in Osceola county. Kids return to school tommorrow! yay. things slowly getting to a state of narmalcy here. I also have a huge oak tree in my from yard that is serverly leaning towards my house. the darn thing is its the citys tree and i have called to complain and i think whats keeping it up is the cement pad of my driveway. I kinda hope the tree dies and then the threat of it falling on my home will go away.

Liz L.
Weather Watcher

Loc: St Cloud, Florida
Re: Rain Guage [Re: Liz L.]
      #33211 - Tue Sep 28 2004 09:45 PM

http://www.local6.com/news/3767114/detail.html
one thing we are now dealing with here

Chesapeake Phil
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Betterton, MD
Jeanne Drags On [Re: LI Phil]
      #33212 - Tue Sep 28 2004 09:42 PM

After I last posted it rained harder here than it had all day and the wind picked up. Hadn't realized I left the bathroom window fully open - discovered I ended up with a little swimming pool in there. Even up on this bluff, our road looked about as water-covered as I'd ever seen it. I imagine the low-lying areas in my county and Cecil County to the north aren't pretty right now. Lots of farms around here, but most of the main crops have been harvested by now, so luckily they won't be swimming in standing water.

Things seemed to have slowed a bit - still a steady rain, but not downpouring at the rate it was before. Wind has changed direction for the most part and calmed quite a bit as well.

My heart goes out to all those further south who dealt with this when it was much, much stronger.

Ricreig
User

Reged: Sat
Loc: Orlando, Fl
Re: Jeanne won't quit [Re: LI Phil]
      #33214 - Tue Sep 28 2004 09:51 PM

Quote:

Yep...I was just outside taking a smoke break and it really started comin' down with some decent gusts...further south of me is really taking it on the chin with severe weather and heavy rains. Jeanne, jeanne, just go away!

Bastardi has even opined she may have to be UPGRADED!

2004 - The Season from hell just keeps giving and giving.

Upgraded to what?

I kinda thought you'd see a bit of rain, but just 'blustery' winds. It isn't a TS is it?

Anyhow, got power back today, moving my stuff back from my evac location. This will take a half dozen more trips but my boss needs his garage back <grin>.

One side effect of the moving....I tossed the one and only belt that fits me into *something* just before I tossed the last load into the car for the move to my shelter. Damm if I could find my belt today as I got ready to dress so I could go teach my students. I found a piece of extension cord and was going to wear that to class, when I finally found the location....somehow, the belt ended up in the CAT LITTER container...the fresh stuff, but I use the empty cat litter pails for storing things I want to be protected, leakproof, etc., and they are plentiful around my house. I figure that I must have opened the lid of the *real* cat litter container without looking, thinking it the one I was using for my 'need-em-a-hurry' personal effects and dropped iin my belt. Can you see me standing in front of my computer class trying to teach a class of computer wanna-be geeks, trying to explain why I was using an extension cord to hold my pants up???

My students see me as a non-conformist already, They'd probably believe me no matter what I told them, EXCEPT that I lost my belt in a cat-litter box.

Phil, I hope you are more organized than I am and that you will not be inconveniencec too badly by Jeanne. Good luck!

--------------------
Richard
A forecast is NOT a promise!

Chesapeake Phil
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Betterton, MD
Re: Jeanne won't quit [Re: Ricreig]
      #33215 - Tue Sep 28 2004 09:55 PM

Quote:

Upgraded to what?

I kinda thought you'd see a bit of rain, but just 'blustery' winds. It isn't a TS is it?

I doubt we had TS force winds here, but when our final strong band went through, the winds here were stronger than the 20 mph winds that were forecasted for us this morning. That only lasted about 30 minutes max I'd say, though. Other than that, it has just been a pretty good breeze with some stronger gusts.

danielwAdministrator

Reged: Wed
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
      #33216 - Tue Sep 28 2004 09:58 PM

Richard, glad to see you are up and teaching again. At least it wasn't the other litter box. Just logged in and reading up on Jeanne.
She won't go away!
I saw a football field?, on TWC, with water 18 inches from the bottom of the goalposts! Wow!

The last TD Advisory on Jeanne , has winds at 30mph. Now HPC has issued an Advisory with extratropical Jeanne and 35mph winds. What gives? They downgrade her and she spins up.

Edited by danielw (Tue Sep 28 2004 10:02 PM)

LI Phil
User

Please welcome Danny, our new overnight mod! [Re: danielw]
      #33217 - Tue Sep 28 2004 10:04 PM

Obviously, if you read the above (or at least it was when I started this message) post, danielw, AKA Danny is our new overnight moderator...

He will be most excellent, I can guarantee that.

He's faster than I am with scoring info, quick witted, and knows a helluva lot about the weather...you got questions...we got answers!

Welcome aboard Danny!

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

danielwAdministrator

Re: Please welcome Danny, our new overnight mod! [Re: LI Phil]
      #33218 - Tue Sep 28 2004 10:08 PM

Hey Phil, that's Radio shack's slogan!
I'll do what I can for you folks. Info, info and info.
I'm not a met., but I did stay at Holiday Inn last night.

Takingforever
Weather Watcher

Reged: Sun
Loc: Philadelphia, PA
TS force winds at the Jersey Shore tomorrow. [Re: danielw]
      #33219 - Tue Sep 28 2004 10:14 PM

There expecting 20-30 mph winds gust to 40 in south Jersey, so Jeanne is doin something..

ShanaTX
Storm Tracker

Reged: Mon
Loc: Texas
Re: Please welcome Danny, our new overnight mod! [Re: danielw]
      #33220 - Tue Sep 28 2004 10:28 PM

Hi Danny!

Welcome to overnite mod-dom !

Congratulations!!!!!!
Thanks, Shana. "Mod-dom"??

YW. Yeah, what do you *you* call it? snicker

'shana

Edited by ShanaTX (Tue Sep 28 2004 10:44 PM)

ShanaTX
Storm Tracker

Reged: Mon
Loc: Texas
      #33221 - Tue Sep 28 2004 10:32 PM

Quote:

I found a piece of extension cord and was going to wear that to class

If they're anything like the people I know they'll either

never notice the belt

or

want one for themselves...

My sister's husband once helped install a new fan in my car. The cord was too short so he used a lamp cord... that was 10 years ago and it's still there. Good thing he's an Electrical Engineer.

edited to add: I just changed titles so I went to check the titile list at the FAQ. Here's what I want to be when I grow up...

2500 Is the weather

'shana

Edited by ShanaTX (Tue Sep 28 2004 10:42 PM)

LI Phil
User

Re: Jeanne won't quit [Re: ShanaTX]
      #33222 - Tue Sep 28 2004 10:53 PM

2,500 posts...I'll be there in a week or two the way this season is going!

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

danielwAdministrator

Re: 2500 [Re: LI Phil]
      #33223 - Tue Sep 28 2004 11:03 PM

Phil you have 604 to go!

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

up here [Re: LI Phil]
      #33224 - Tue Sep 28 2004 11:08 PM

The PHL discussion just mentioned that there are 60 kt. winds just above the surface that are mixing down in heavier rain showers, and without warning, since there is little lightning activity. Due to the ground truth of 6-8" rains, downed trees are an issue, and they are warning people it is a life-threatening situation. Many areas along the Del. river have sustained winds of 30 mph with gusts to over 40, and this was not really forecast. Phil, in a PM the other day I said I thought you'd get 2-5" of rain which was more than the models forecast, and that might not have been enough. Here we have near 2" with it still raining, but cooler air has drained in as it is now 66 deg.
This may have come through as a weakened system, and the threats were less, but the models did a woeful job of forecasting what happened up here today. In their defense, the range is from less than 1" along the coast, to over half a foot inland. They did mention the GFS nailed the early rains over N.E. Pa though, so I may be overstating my case a little.

There are also numerous reports of water rescues.

Edited by MrSpock (Tue Sep 28 2004 11:23 PM)

DebbiePSL
Weather Guru

Loc: Saint Marys Georgia
Re: Please welcome Danny, our new overnight mod! [Re: LI Phil]
      #33225 - Tue Sep 28 2004 11:56 PM

Welcome Danny! Just got our power back and I must say I really missed this site. Frances was bad for us but Jeanne was worse. But, we are safe and hopefully on our way back to some normal life again. I have only lived here in Port Saint Lucie for 2 years and what I have learned about hurricanes here on this site has helped tremendously. Thank you all from the bottom of my heart.

Kent
Weather Guru

Reged: Sun
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale
Re: Please welcome Danny, our new overnight mod! [Re: DebbiePSL]
      #33226 - Wed Sep 29 2004 12:02 AM

ok now this scares me a little....

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/eatl-wv-loop.html

also does anyone have the link to the disturbance WXMANRICHIE was talking about? The one off of Nicaragua?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 177 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 142570

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center