F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 201 (Idalia) , Major: 201 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 201 (Idalia) Major: 201 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | >> (show all)
kelcot
Weather Guru

Reged: Wed
Loc: Canton, Ga
Re: Jeanne Inland in the Southeast [Re: rmbjoe1954]
      #32970 - Mon Sep 27 2004 12:34 PM

Spoke to mom in Vero yesterday morning. She does have some damage. However, I've been trying to call her since. I'm starting to get slightly concerned. The rest of my family evac. to Orlando and I haven't had any contact with them since yesterday morning either.

--------------------
Kelly

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
rmbjoe1954
Weather Master

Reged: Tue
Loc: Port Saint Lucie, Florida, USA
Re: Jeanne Inland in the Southeast [Re: kelcot]
      #32971 - Mon Sep 27 2004 12:39 PM

A reminder; phone lines may be down or there may be sporadic service disruptions to land lines and satelite connections. Give it a while before trying to call, I just got back my land line service after being down since the early morning hours and I haven't lost cell phone service. Good luck!

--------------------
________2023 Forecast: 20/10/5________

There is little chance that meteorologists can solve the mysteries of weather until they gain an understanding of the mutual attraction of rain and weekends. ~Arnot Sheppard

kelcot
Weather Guru

#32972 - Mon Sep 27 2004 12:41 PM

I know the phone lines are down. But I was able to reach her on her cell phone before. Sometimes it rings then goes to voicemail and other times it goes straight to voicemail.

--------------------
Kelly

Staggy
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Thu
Loc: Lutz, FL
      #32973 - Mon Sep 27 2004 12:51 PM

Checking in from the Boynton Beach / Lantana area. We headed to the Keys but those who stayed said it sounded worse than Frances but it didn't last anywhere near as long. More trees down in my area but we never lost power. Gotta love those underground (house / neighborhood built in 1995+) power lines.

My mod & dad's (Lady Lake) and sister's places (Ocala) got it pretty hard too. Mainly downed trees and no power.

No more. We have filled our quota for the next 10-20 years.

Edited by Staggy (Mon Sep 27 2004 12:52 PM)

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged: Mon
Loc: fl
      #32974 - Mon Sep 27 2004 12:54 PM

Well if she has no power,,then she cant recharge her phone,,that was my problem with my cell. So she probably cant charge it to get messages. Unless she thinks about going to somewhere or someone who does have power to charge it......... just a thought of what could be wrong.

Terri
Weather Watcher

Reged: Sat
Loc: Richmond Hill, GA
      #32975 - Mon Sep 27 2004 12:54 PM

Hi Joe! Perhaps you can answer a question for me. How can your fellow Americans help all of you in Florida? Everyone I know has given at their own churches. Is there a better way that we can help? Please post your recommendation, and I'll help spread the word. BTW, I'm married to an accountant .

Edited by Terri (Mon Sep 27 2004 12:56 PM)

poetdi
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Sun
Loc: Maitland, FL
      #32976 - Mon Sep 27 2004 12:57 PM

During Charley we lost cell phone service - and then it was intermittent, so maybe that's what's happening with your mom. Our land line just came back late last night altho our cells were not affected this time. Good luck and hope all is well.

poetdi
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Maitland, FL
Re: Jeanne Inland in the Southeast [Re: Staggy]
      #32978 - Mon Sep 27 2004 01:00 PM

Unfortunately my in-laws, who live nearby and are elderly, had their utilities recently put underground - and they are without power this time, altho with Charley and Frances they had power. Guess undergrounding is not necessarily a panacea.... but I do wish they would do it any way as it seems they do better most of the time!

LI Phil
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Jeanne Inland in the Southeast [Re: Terri]
      #32979 - Mon Sep 27 2004 01:00 PM

Quote:

Hi Joe! Perhaps you can answer a question for me. How can your fellow Americans help all of you in Florida? Everyone I know has given at their own churches. Is there a better way that we can help? Please post your recommendation, and I'll help spread the word. BTW, I'm married to an accountant .

http://floridadisaster.org/

scroll down to the "How Can You Help" section.

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

rmbjoe1954
Weather Master

Reged: Tue
Loc: Port Saint Lucie, Florida, USA
Re: Jeanne Inland in the Southeast [Re: Terri]
      #32980 - Mon Sep 27 2004 01:02 PM

Thank you! I've always recommended to give to the Red Cross. They are heroes during times of crises.

--------------------
________2023 Forecast: 20/10/5________

There is little chance that meteorologists can solve the mysteries of weather until they gain an understanding of the mutual attraction of rain and weekends. ~Arnot Sheppard

scottsvb
Weather Master

Loc: fl
Re: Jeanne Inland in the Southeast [Re: poetdi]
      #32981 - Mon Sep 27 2004 01:02 PM

Looking over the carribean basin I see a vort max near 13N and 77.5W moving slowly to the west near 7mph. Sorry to say this folks but this could be the start of a better organzied area of low pressure that might form off Nicaragua during the next 2-3 days. If it does then a TD might form by Thurs or Fri if they send recon down there by then. For now its just a vortex and nothing to get too worried about for the next couple of days.

kelcot
Weather Guru

Re: Jeanne Inland in the Southeast [Re: scottsvb]
      #32982 - Mon Sep 27 2004 01:21 PM

Quote:

For now its just a vortex and nothing to get too worried about for the next couple of days.

Yeah, right! I'll belive that when I see it.

As for the mom....she does have a car charger. I know she's fine, but I'm just concerned because she's down there all by herself. I don't know when the rest of my family is coming home from Orlando. I can't get intouch with them either.

--------------------
Kelly

Grasshopper

Loc: Tarpon Springs, FL
Re: Jeanne Inland in the Southeast [Re: MikeC]
      #32983 - Mon Sep 27 2004 01:22 PM

I live right on the cost (1/2 mile from the Strongest Frances gust in Tampa Bay @74 mph) Fences are down and trees are down. Light signs were blown away and almost everyone is powerless. Hope we can get a few weeks to clean up the debris. Think it would be a good time to buy a house? I would be willing to bet property values will drop around here. I have had 5 tropical systems within 400 miles of my place this year. jeez....

thank god for laptops.....

matt

Liz C

Reged: Thu
Loc: Daytona Beach, Florida
      #32984 - Mon Sep 27 2004 01:32 PM

Holly Hill checking in......(just north of Daytona and south of Ormond Beach) We faired pretty well, only lost power for 3 hours, compared to 6 days with both Charlie and Frances. A few more roof shingles came off. I feel very blessed...my throughts and prayers go to others down south that did not fair so well. Thanks to all for this site.....it has been helped me and I'm sure others through this crazy season.

Liz

Bloodstar

Loc: Tucson, AZ
Made it through [Re: Grasshopper]
      #32985 - Mon Sep 27 2004 01:32 PM

lots of tree limbs and branches down
power erratic, and cable out... but I'm ok

may your recovery efforts be swift and simple..
Mark
Falcons 3 - 0...
scary... isn't it?

Kent
Weather Guru

Loc: Ft. Lauderdale
Re: Jeanne Inland in the Southeast [Re: LI Phil]
      #32986 - Mon Sep 27 2004 01:35 PM

Yay! Powers back! Damn Ficus tree got us again!

and LI Phil....
Thank you so much for keeping us calm during some tense moments on Saturday, You really helped so much with the info...eveyone here did. Even the iguana answers. Whoever told me what to feed them Thank you! Looks like we have a new pet in the house.

My moms in Vero and its bad. I have been able to talk to her via two way radio. If anyone is looking for info from that area go to
http://www.ircgov.com and
http://www.tcpalm.com look on front page for "forums" lots of helpful info there.

thanks again to everyone.
Oh but I do have to say one more thing:

LI Phil you there? Uuuumm.....I hate to tell you this but......
You're officially fired from "sucking" duty!

LI Phil
User

Re: Jeanne Inland in the Southeast [Re: Kent]
      #32987 - Mon Sep 27 2004 01:41 PM

I'm ALWAYS here! Thanks Kent for your kind words...

And don't worry, I will continue to suck for the rest of the season!

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

Terri
Weather Watcher

Reged: Sat
Loc: Richmond Hill, GA
      #32988 - Mon Sep 27 2004 01:41 PM

Quote:

Thank you! I've always recommended to give to the Red Cross. They are heroes during times of crises.

Thank you Phil and Joe. I printed out a copy of the Florida Red Cross chapters and their addresses. I'd like to urge others to help our Florida neigbors. They definitely NEED our help.

LI Phil
User

New Skeetobite Maps on the front page [Re: Terri]
      #32989 - Mon Sep 27 2004 01:52 PM

Skeeter has put up two new maps on the front page showing the paths of Charley, Frances & Jeanne...with detail on Polk County.

Skeet, great maps...are you planning to do one for street level?

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

Kent
Weather Guru

Loc: Ft. Lauderdale
      #32990 - Mon Sep 27 2004 01:55 PM

A vort max Scottsvb? What exactly does that mean? and west means west right? Not north right? I have gotten better at grasping the Cape Verde storms but the ones off Nicaragua? Where do they go? What type of storms are the "home brews" that LI Phil just mentioned?

In other words...isn't Florida done yet?

a vort max is just an area of turning in the atmosphere. the problem storms this year have originated in the atlantic, but later in the year the western caribbean becomes a staging ground for storms. the home brew phil refers to is just a storm that develops due to the pattern near north america, not so much a wave propagating across that atlantic. hope that helps.. if the caribbean feature starts taking shape i'm sure there will be more explanations from the folks here... -HF

Edited by HanKFranK (Mon Sep 27 2004 02:37 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 222 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 142571

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center