F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 201 (Idalia) , Major: 201 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 201 (Idalia) Major: 201 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | >> (show all)
MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
Re: African Wave... [Re: Staggy]
      #33060 - Mon Sep 27 2004 08:24 PM

yes, eventually NE, but they turn NW quickly instead of moving W or WNW for days like some of the big CV systems.
That also happens earlier in the season when a CV system develops farther north than usual.

duh, as I read further, I noticed Keith answered-sorry, was reading them in order.

Edited by MrSpock (Mon Sep 27 2004 08:26 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Re: Who is still unaccounted for? [Re: LI Phil]
      #33061 - Mon Sep 27 2004 08:25 PM

I haven't heard from richisurf, and we PM'd right before the storm hit.

FreakedInFlorida
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Sat
Re: Who is still unaccounted for? [Re: LI Phil]
      #33062 - Mon Sep 27 2004 08:26 PM

Phil,
According to the latest estimates, there are 2.6 million now without power, with estimates now of more than 3 weeks for Jeanne's recovery, mainly due to workers still trying to restore power for Ivan's victims. Could be why you haven't heard from them. I do hope all are safe though.

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged: Thu
Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
Re: Who is still unaccounted for? [Re: FreakedInFlorida]
      #33063 - Mon Sep 27 2004 08:28 PM

Last night, when watching the weather channel they said 8 million people were without power.

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

LI Phil
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Who is still without power? [Re: Keith234]
      #33064 - Mon Sep 27 2004 08:38 PM

Keith,

I think that's way high...2 million maybe...the state has a skosh over 17 million residents, I doubt that almost half are without power.

BTW, while trying to get info on who is still without power, I came across this website

http://www.palmbayflorida.org/

This may assist anyone in that affected area who DOES have power and needs quick info...Mike, feel free to add this to the links on the front page...

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Re: Ocean currents [Re: Wingman51]
      #33065 - Mon Sep 27 2004 08:38 PM

Well, not much it seems as though the CV season is ending rather rapidly. I would be more concerned per se about the troughiness by Colombia, south and central america. These short-wave trough's propogate northward into the SW Caribbean and can become very strong; Mitch is a good example.
http://weather.unisys.com/hurricane/atlantic/1998H/index.html

--------------------
Edgar Allan Poe

Edited by Keith234 (Mon Sep 27 2004 08:39 PM)

dolphinscry

Reged: Sun
Re: Who is still unaccounted for? [Re: CatInOrlando]
      #33066 - Mon Sep 27 2004 08:43 PM

...And although I am also nowhere near a regular poster, I have certainly been a regular reader here, and would never had been as prepared if I werent!
So, I am gonna check in anyway,
I posted under dolphinscry2 (was it Sun.am?) anyway, should have kept my big mouth shut, cuz no sooner did I submit my post than *POP*!!!
Electric went out.
I was in Leesburg, and Jeanne was definatley worse in that area than Frances was.
So many more oaks came down, 2 on the neighbors house, who is disabled, so we took turns running over food, and checking for leaks.
The street was completley blocked by oaks, no way out, untill people braved the danger and started cutting some branches out of the way
(crazy, really)
It took 6 days after Frances to get power back over there...and this time the poles snapped, so who knows?...
I was lucky once again in Sumter co., alot of tree damage around, and some structure damage to local farms.
I am surrounded by a farm on 3 sides, and so there isnt much debris to fly our way.
Our power is on now too)
Hats off to all the crews who stayed through Jeanne (who were here already cuz of Frances) because they are still out there right now.
God Bless to all
Lori
Oxford, Fl

--------------------
"If you can't be a good example,
then you'll just have to be a horrible warning." -Catherine Aird

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Re: Who is still without power? [Re: LI Phil]
      #33067 - Mon Sep 27 2004 08:49 PM

Maybe it is high, the only reason I watch it is to see the people in bright blue fall type jackets get blown around and tell you how bad it is and where people shouldn't be, but yet they are right there watching the storm surge, wind and rain come in. I find that of the least importance, to see people get blown around. It does nothing for the viewer and to some it actually might make hurricanes look like fun (not me), personally I feel reproting weather is becoming more of a job that you have to look good, speak well and be an anchorman, I don't like it and as Clark would say "Science is a way of informing the public" not looking like a model.

--------------------
Edgar Allan Poe

recmod
Weather Guru

Reged: Sun
Loc: Orlando, FL
Seminole County [Re: Wxwatcher2]
      #33068 - Mon Sep 27 2004 08:52 PM

Hi Everyone,
Went back to work today in Sanford. I had one harrowing moment on the drive where a large pine tree had fallen over the road....into the powerlines, which were the only thing holding the tree above the roadway (wish I had my camera with me then!) I stopped the car, and, after seeing a couple other cars driving under the tree, took the plunge myself.
Driving through major intersections with no traffic lights is real fun too. No one seems to respect the 4-way stop rule.

All in all, the area doesn't look too bad. It really seems that, by the third hurricane, most of the old, sick or shaky trees have been taken out. There IS a recurring story I heard all day from co-workers and customers. This storm caused MUCH more roof damage to homes than either of the previous hurricanes. I think that might be attributed to a snow-balling effect of previously unseen damage manifesting itself this time around. Already weakened roof structures are giving out.

On the subject of the remainder of this season: We need to remain vigilent during this lull in tropical activity the next week or so. I do not, in any way, feel that Jeanne is the last USA threat in 2004. Many recent years have had significant late-season storms: Lili- Oct. 2002 (Cat 4), Michelle- Nov. 2001 (Cat 4), Keith- Oct. 2000 (Cat 4), Irene- Oct. 1999 (Cat 2), Mitch- Oct. 1998 (Cat 5), Roxanne- Oct. 1995 (Cat 3) & Opal- Oct. 1995 (Cat 4)....not all these storms affected the USA, but I chose these because, at some point during their life, the NHC DID forecast a more threatening track that did not materialize.

--Lou

LI Phil
User

Re: Who is still without power? [Re: Keith234]
      #33069 - Mon Sep 27 2004 08:55 PM

>>> only reason I watch it is to see the people in bright blue fall type jackets get blown around and tell you how bad it is

Well, that's half the fun...as Mr. Spock reminds us, it's only a matter of time before someone take a 2x4 to the head on live TV...

Plus, I do enjoy Jim Cantore in the swimming goggles and Stephanie Abrams in her smurf suit [tm danielw] about to go airborne just so we can get a story!

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Re: Seminole County [Re: recmod]
      #33070 - Mon Sep 27 2004 09:03 PM

I think the track of the next storm, will be similar to that of Lili's. Well JB has time and time again preached to us, saying that the water temp. profile is almost exactly the same to that of 2002. These storms are controlled (indirectly) by that water temp. so if the water temp. profile is very similar to that of 2002 then the hurricane would take the same simliar path (that's my logic). These storms are always seem to impress me in some way.

--------------------
Edgar Allan Poe

Redbird
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Central Florida
      #33072 - Mon Sep 27 2004 09:11 PM

Areas of Palm Bay,FL lost power as early as 5ish in the afternoon Saturday............NE section.

Spike
Storm Tracker

Loc: Central, Florida
Re: Who is still without power? [Re: Redbird]
      #33073 - Mon Sep 27 2004 09:16 PM

I was north of the storm i lost it sunday morning at 6 00 and got it back around 7 00 pm

Weather Guru

Loc: Parrish Fl
      #33075 - Mon Sep 27 2004 09:19 PM

, it's only a matter of time before someone take a 2x4 to the head on live TV... funny you said that it happened! local station broadcasted it during the storm on the east coast. the guy took quite a whack from something very large and heavy. he went up in the air sideways and onto the ground. he was pretty shook up but o.k. disregard last post I accidentally submitted it to quick.

rule
Weather Guru

Loc: Ocala, Florida
Re: Who is still unaccounted for? [Re: Keith234]
      #33077 - Mon Sep 27 2004 09:30 PM

I'm back. Lost power at 4pm yesterday, went on generator power. Just got cable and power back 30 minutes ago.

Our worst winds came after the rain passed. It quit raining about 6pm here and then the winds increased from 8 to 10 pm. I think we had many 60 mph gusts. The cable went out at 11pm. Just as well, because I was watching the Bucs game and they stunk.

Overall, the damage is much less than from Frances, dispite stronger winds. Much less limbs and leaves down as well. Lots of trees down though. A big oak tree is blocking our road in front of the house. Funny, we had some maybe 30mph winds this afternoon and that's when it fell.

Here's to a tropical breather.

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Re: Who is still without power? [Re: 52255225]
      #33078 - Mon Sep 27 2004 09:31 PM

sadly, I am afraid, it is going to take a serious injury before anything changes. I mean, really, I have not seen a "report from the eye" that ever enlightened me. The only thing that might be interesting is seeing the actual eye of the storm, but that would probably be done best with a time-lapsed camera if it could survive it.
I wonder if that guy that got hit will be in the middle of the next one......
Oh, and another thing.....don't you suppose they must carry some sort of insurance to cover the whole deal, and that it must be REALLY expensive?

Edited by MrSpock (Mon Sep 27 2004 09:31 PM)

Mozart
Weather Watcher

Loc: Simpsonville, SC
Update from the Upstate [Re: MrSpock]
      #33081 - Mon Sep 27 2004 09:59 PM

3.5 inches of rain in my backyard in the last 3 hours. About 4.5 total. We're in a little gap in the storm now so I just let the dogs outside. The pond in my backyard has spilled over its bank. First time I've ever seen that done, although it may have happened with Ivan a few weeks ago. I couldn't get outside to check until after it had time to drain. My house is at least 6 feet above the water level, and the spillway sounds like it's running water away at full speed, so we don't anticipate any problems.

Problems are already starting up in the mountains from what I understand. French Broad River is already at flood stage, and they're still getting dumped on. That area is just north of the state line where SC/NC/GA all meet for anyone interested. The Saluda River has a flood stage of 9 feet, and it's expected to crease at 10 feet tomorrow morning. It's still pretty low at 4.5 feet as of 8 PM. If they're expecting that, I can't imagine how high the French Broad will end up. Keep those folks in mind as that area is very prone to not just flooding, but flash flooding.

--------------------
Agnes - 1972, David - 1979, Bob - 1985
Hugo - 1989
TS Jerry - 1995 (14 inches of rain in 12 hours)
Hurricane Ivan - 2004

LI Phil
User

Re: Update from the Upstate [Re: Mozart]
      #33082 - Mon Sep 27 2004 10:02 PM

Hey all,

I'm gonna call it a night...You guys have been great! We're all somehow in this togeher...

Y'all be safe!

Catch you tomorrow at work...!

--------------------

BUCKLE UP!

MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Re: Update from the Upstate [Re: LI Phil]
      #33083 - Mon Sep 27 2004 10:04 PM

you deserve a good night's sleep. Let's hope it stays slow for a while

Weather Guru

Loc: Parrish Fl
Re: Who is still without power? [Re: MrSpock]
      #33086 - Mon Sep 27 2004 10:41 PM

Yeah im sure its pretty costly. Last time during Francis also on the east coast, the t.v reporter storm chasers had an suv all painted up with their station info plus read "storm tracker" all over it that was destroyed by a tree fallling on it. it was trashed! they had to catch a ride with another affiliate back to Tampa. Crazy!

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 62 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 142579

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center