F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 239 (Idalia) , Major: 239 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 239 (Idalia) Major: 239 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | >> (show all)
Staggy
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Lutz, FL
Re: Interesting [Re: 52255225]
      #33087 - Tue Sep 28 2004 02:47 AM

From the 8:05P Tropical Weather Discussion:

FINALLY A QUIET NIGHT AT WORK WITH LISA FAR OUT TO SEA AND JEANNE NOW HPC'S RESPONSIBILITY. TO REFLECT ON HOW BUSY IT HAS BEEN SO FAR... THIS IS THE MOST ACTIVE SEASON TO DATE UP UNTIL SEPT 27 EVER SEEN IN TERMS OF NOAA'S ACCUMULATED CYCLONE ENERGY (ACE) INDEX. IN FACT...IF THE SEASON ENDED TODAY...2004 WOULD BE THE 5TH MOST ACTIVE ACE SINCE RECORDS BEGAN IN 1851...WITH 1950-1893-1995-1926 BEING THE TOP 4.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
MrSpock
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Interesting [Re: Staggy]
      #33088 - Tue Sep 28 2004 03:32 AM

That is fascinating.

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: Who is still unaccounted for? [Re: rule]
      #33089 - Tue Sep 28 2004 04:24 AM

I got an email from SOUTHFLAHAPPYGAL. She and her cat are home in Deerfield Beach. No damage and doing fine. I see Ricreig has posted his update.
Colleen, Ed and who else? Have to send a CFHC SEAL team out if we have to.

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Who is still unaccounted for? [Re: danielw]
      #33090 - Tue Sep 28 2004 04:48 AM

Just to show you what these storms can do well away from the main landfall point...

I lost power for 26 hours here in Tallahassee.

We didn't have *that* much going on here, but it was still more than any of the other storms. Not much rain, mostly a bit of wind resulting in power outages, branches down, and the whole nine yards.

And FSU made the decision to open today. This morning was bad -- intersections out, people without power, debris in the roads, and a wind-driven rain. They could've opened in the afternoon and been just fine...but they're stubborn. A nice wait in the midst of it all for football tickets this morning, but alas -- what can you do?

With the power outage and Jeanne canceling a concert in Jacksonville I was to attend, which summarily messed up my entire weekend...this storm is going down on my crap list.

But, congrats are in order to JK & co. on the new youngun'.

And now....time for some rest.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Mozart
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Simpsonville, SC
Re: Who is still unaccounted for? [Re: Clark]
      #33091 - Tue Sep 28 2004 05:11 AM

Quote:

A nice wait in the midst of it all for football tickets this morning, but alas -- what can you do?

Schedule us again? Noone would bother to buy tickets since we all know how bad you'd kick our butts.

OT I know. But I need to vent about our pathetic team. Now back to your regularly scheduled programming....

It's raining again, the spillway is still overflowing, and the dogs still refuse to go outside.

Life is beautiful....

--------------------
Agnes - 1972, David - 1979, Bob - 1985
Hugo - 1989
TS Jerry - 1995 (14 inches of rain in 12 hours)
Hurricane Ivan - 2004

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: Who is still unaccounted for? [Re: Clark]
      #33092 - Tue Sep 28 2004 05:33 AM

Hi Guys just checking in. I came on line when I got home from work just to see who was around and what was going on, but was too tired to talk. We got hit pretty bad here in Polk County again, Lakeland specifically lost a lot of power. We were lucky at my house to be near a school and we have had power and cable restored early on. Our neighborhood was probably hit by a tornado in that the swath of damage appeared to have a tornado signature about it, We personally lost a lot of roof shingles, a major sized tree limb came down out of a fairly young tree. It fortunately did not hit anything except the ground. I spent 12 solid hours at work today and merely had time to call the insurance agency regarding the roof and will have to call them back this morning because the computer was backed up on taking claims reports. I have not heard anything from Colleen but they may either still be without power or internet service, or she may be just hurricaned out,. It is very stressful around here. Yesterday was difficult getting around town because of stop lights being out and everyone was stressed and angry and hungry with a lot of restaurants taking hits. I saw those maps and they are wild showing those hurricane paths., I wonder if anyone here can predict what our winter is going to be like in Florida? Is there any speculations as to how cold or warm, wet or dry this winter will be due to the hurricane activity?

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

Hurricanelover!
Unregistered

My tropical cyclone Report! [Re: Staggy]
      #33093 - Tue Sep 28 2004 07:02 AM

Hurricane Frances just as it was going to make landfall...
ftp://ftp.aoml.noaa.gov/pub/hrd/hwind/2004/al06.2004/0905/0130/col08deg.png
This shows that the max winds around hurricane Frances. Where right around the eyewall of the tropical cyclone. A area of 80 knot winds covered the better part of the eastern quad... With a max winds of 90 knots...The winds on the beach where around 70 knots at this time...Frances at landfall as below cat3 with winds of around 105 mph to 110 mph...Pressure 951 millibars...I'm going to say that by this data that Frances was a 90 to 95 knot tropical cyclone...

Hurricane Charley...A small cyclone with hurricane force winds. Outwards maybe 25 miles or less...On this chart shows that the max winds of Charley where 123 knots=125 knots...Charley was around 145 mph winds(Which was the offical Advisory)...This hurricane also had a extreamly tight pressure grad. With a eye of only 6 miles wide at one point...This hurricane was more packed, in with a tighter eye then hurricane Andrew(1992) or Iris(2001)...One hurricane to note is cyclone tracy, which was a very small tropical cyclone...Smaller then Charley...One fact about cyclones this small is that when Andrew hit Dade, county in 1992...The city of Miami, just 40 or so miles to the north was like Tampa, with Charley...That is pretty Amazing...Charley had a pressure of 941 millibars...While hurricane Andrew had 921 millibars...So I'm going to say for this cyclone that 145 mphs with upwards to 160 gust...
ftp://ftp.aoml.noaa.gov/pub/hrd/hwind/2004/al03.2004/0813/1930/col08deg.png

Hurricane Ivan...This tropical cyclone was once one of the six most powerful cyclone to ever form any where around the Atlatnic basin...It had pressures as low as 910 milibars...As for landfall in the United states for Ivan...The tropical cyclone was moving around 10 to 14 mph through the Northern Gulf of Mexico...Which had "Tcp" levels that where very low because of Frances,Bonnie,Charley...My thinking is that when the tropical cyclone hit the eddy(Very warm deep fuel!) it got its act together very fast. That eddy had much deeper layer of warm water(Hurricane Gas!)...But once it hit the cool waters of the northern Gulf of Mexico, the hurricane got its feet kicked from under it...Remember that the northern Gulf of Mexico is still around 78 to 82 degrees. But when a slow moving tropical cyclone hits this there is no depth of the warm water. Which causes upwelling. If it was not for the other hurricanes Ivan "might" of made it to the coast as a upper end cat4? Of course this is all histroy now...A report of gust of 133 mph was found around a airforce base...Which is the strongest gust so far reported...The tropical cyclone lost its western eyewall as it was nearing the coast...So most of the winds where on the eastern quad...The surge was mostly caused from the hurricane being a cat5 for days...I'm going to say that this hurricane was around 105 knots...
ftp://ftp.aoml.noaa.gov/pub/hrd/hwind/2004/al09.2004/0916/0730/col04deg.png

This report is unoffical!

Megamike

Reged:
Loc: Riverview Fl (Tampa Bay Area)
Re: Who is still unaccounted for? [Re: LI Phil]
      #33094 - Tue Sep 28 2004 09:06 AM

Been a reader of CFHC at the start of the season and have found this site more than informational.
Thanks to those that forecasted where Jeanne would go, we would not have been as ready if just relying on NHC and local news (except for Fox 13 (Tampa Bay).
Minor damage and power was out for 36 hours, lost all food in fridge. Small price to pay based on what I saw on the news for those on the east coast and in Polk County.

All the best all and thank you CFHC

Mike

--------------------
I know nothing and can prove it....Just ask me!

LadyStorm
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: United States
Re: Who is still unaccounted for? [Re: Mozart]
      #33095 - Tue Sep 28 2004 09:23 AM

Lost power in north volusia county for around 30 hours. Lets hope it stays quiet for the rest of the year. I think Florida has had enough.

MaryAnn

Ormond Suzie
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Ormond Beach, Florida
Re: Who is still unaccounted for? [Re: LadyStorm]
      #33096 - Tue Sep 28 2004 12:04 PM

We're just a couple of blocks north of LadyStorm (MaryAnn) on the mainland side of Ormond Beach in Volsuia County, but this time around we didn't lose power or cable. With all the flickering and brownouts, we were expecting it to go at any time. Very surprising.

Family in various parts of the state (including our college kid in Sarasota who finally checked in with us last night) came through with no major problems.

Our hearts go out to all the people who really saw the bad side of Jeanne. May this be Florida's last storm of the season.

MadDog
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: DeBary, Florida
Re: Who is still unaccounted for? [Re: LadyStorm]
      #33097 - Tue Sep 28 2004 12:05 PM

Still out of power in DeBary (Deltona) area. Tree damage was a lot less (Not much left to fall). Glad school is back in today so the kiddies can have a break from this 3rd irritation. We were out 3 1/2 out of power with Charley, 5 with Francis and hopefully soon the power will come on. We had some additional shingle loss and part of our ceiling came down but we can handle that. It small in comparison to other areas.

Thanks to all of you for your support and information during all three of these hurricanes. Your input was/remains a tremendous asset to our family.

Edited by MadDog (Tue Sep 28 2004 12:07 PM)

tpratch

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Re: Who is still unaccounted for? [Re: MadDog]
      #33098 - Tue Sep 28 2004 12:54 PM

*breathes deeply*

I'm back mostly. My wife and I gave the kids lots of benedryl (well, the 8 year-old and the 5 year-old) so they slept through the worst. Our 8 month-old slept well with my wife while I stood vigil. Since Frances had taken down our two tall trees, our basketball hoop and damaged one of my cars, I didn't think there was much left for Jeanne to do.

Fortunately, I was mostly right. The tarp on the car held and so even damaged, it stayed water-tight. Our other vehicles were fine as well. Our fence took a beating and water leaked in through our sliding glass door, but other than that, we're perfectly okay.

Hell, Frances had us without power for 12 days - Jeanne? only 40 hours. No cable (so I'm posting this from work) but all things being equal, in spite of the large amount of damage throughout Brevard county, my house again proved its mettle. Most surprising is the fact that again, we didn't lose even a single shingle (say that 5 times fast for maximum effect).

I'll only be lurking 8-4 until my cable is restored at home, but all is well.

I had some changes for the HD drinking game but at this point, I'm hoping that I can save those for the 2005 season. I realize this is a completely bizzare season unseen since 1886, but I swear, one more major storm hitting Florida this season might just have me considering relocating.

I just don't want to go through this again. I'm tired, and drained both physically and emotionally.

Hope those who haven't checked in are simply without power.

Terri
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Richmond Hill, GA
Re: Who is still unaccounted for? [Re: tpratch]
      #33099 - Tue Sep 28 2004 01:10 PM

Quote:

but I swear, one more major storm hitting Florida this season might just have me considering relocating. I just don't want to go through this again. I'm tired, and drained both physically and emotionally.

Hope those who haven't checked in are simply without power.

I don't know how some of you are handling all of this hurricane stress, not to mention the financial drain. My thoughts and prayers are with you all.

I'm worried about those that haven't checked in. I hope they're all okay. I'm not familiar with everyone's name, just those that post frequently. As best as I can see, we're missing Colleen and Ed. Has anyone heard from them?

leetdan
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Osceola County
      #33100 - Tue Sep 28 2004 01:17 PM

Guess I'll check in too... The family rode it out west of Jupiter, and aside from missing shingles and a blown-down gate there was no damage to anybody's home. The marina I work at was damaged even further, and I must say it's downright depressing to see everything you've spent the last three weeks cleaning and repairing ruined overnight.

*shrug*

--------------------
[witty phrase here]

mojorox
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Orlando
      #33101 - Tue Sep 28 2004 01:27 PM

Quote:

I had some changes for the HD drinking game

tpratch. we added "complacent" to the game here. though my hubby said he thought he'd snap if he heard hunker down one more time.

We lost some branches and had some leaks from damage from previous storms but came through fine. I only got in one squirrel this storm so far. This was an adult in real bad shape.
A far cry from the thirty babies I got in from Charley when nesting season was in full swing.
Helen

Shalafi
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Altamonte Springs
Re: Jeanne Inland in the Southeast [Re: LI Phil]
      #33102 - Tue Sep 28 2004 01:56 PM

How did we do in the jacksonville dot com poll? I can't find the link on their website.

--------------------
Bryan
What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.
God bless
I know very litte about weather. I'm here to learn mostly but will post friendly replies now and then. So if you don't want to see non-weather comments ignore me now. Thanx!

tpratch

Reged:
Loc: Maryland
Re: Who is still unaccounted for? [Re: mojorox]
      #33103 - Tue Sep 28 2004 02:02 PM

Quote:

tpratch. we added "complacent" to the game here. though my hubby said he thought he'd snap if he heard hunker down one more time.

Yup, complacent and fatigue were the two last-minute additions here.

A few other modifications will make it in for the next storm

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Jeanne Inland in the Southeast [Re: Shalafi]
      #33107 - Tue Sep 28 2004 03:02 PM

>>>How'd we do in the Poll...

I'm still trying to find that info, but here's a link to a story where CFHC was mentioned...

http://jacksonville.com/tu-online/stories/092504/met_16736078.shtml

I too have been unable to track down the poll results...tried every conceivable search as well...last I looked it was NHC 38%, CFHC 31%, everyone else 10% or less.

If anyone can find the final poll results, please post them here...THANKS

Everyone be safe

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Shalafi
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Altamonte Springs
Re: Jeanne Inland in the Southeast [Re: LI Phil]
      #33109 - Tue Sep 28 2004 03:22 PM

Not too happy about Rogers review of CFHC..I think he was full of his last name (Bull)..but at least it got it's own section. I'd love to see how we did in the poll tho. I'd be thrilled if we beat the NHC.
FYI, I'm more thrilled that that's all I have to worry about now

--------------------
Bryan
What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.
God bless
I know very litte about weather. I'm here to learn mostly but will post friendly replies now and then. So if you don't want to see non-weather comments ignore me now. Thanx!

Ocala
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Ocala, FL
Tampa Review [Re: Shalafi]
      #33110 - Tue Sep 28 2004 03:31 PM

From someone who just started following hurricanes on the internet this season, I have found this site far more helpful than any of the others mentioned. And I have been to them all. While I occassionally check in with the others, this is the one that stays on my screen constantly. You guys do an EXCELLENT JOB.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 165 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 143232

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center