F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 230 (Idalia) , Major: 230 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 230 (Idalia) Major: 230 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2004 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | >> (show all)
Ocala
Weather Watcher

Reged: Sat
Loc: Ocala, FL
Re: Tampa... [Re: LI Phil]
      #33037 - Mon Sep 27 2004 06:26 PM

Just catching up on the posts. Know this discussion has passed, but also wanted to lend my thank you to all on the site. By reading the discussions on Friday, while the NHC still had her tracking up the east coast, everyone here was saying it was probably going further west. After reading all you had to say, I called my sister in Tampa and told her to start paying attention. As of Friday afternoon, Tampa in general was not too concerned about Jeanne. Thanks for all the work. The heads up gave my sister time to prepare.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Staggy
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Thu
Loc: Lutz, FL
Re: Gainesville Pics [Re: Keith234]
      #33038 - Mon Sep 27 2004 06:28 PM

How would you like to be watching football and hear a loud bang and end up with this? Everyone was OK although my buddy has a new respect for tropical storms.

pic #1
pic #2

KC
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Sun
Loc: Naples, FL
Re: Tampa... [Re: Grasshopper]
      #33039 - Mon Sep 27 2004 06:30 PM

Quote:

Thank You, That is what I thought. How much warning will I have?

On the "record setting year" I totally agree with you. It is more irratating to me than anything else. So, my wife and I are looking to buy a house. I figure Real estate will drop quite a bit, and for no reason really. Lots of irrational selling.

Regarding real estate dropping and irratonal selling - just sending as an FYI that Punta Gorda real estate has gone UP, not down, according to the local news. Florida is a very strange market!

Shalafi
Weather Guru

Loc: Altamonte Springs
Re: Jeanne Inland in the Southeast [Re: MikeC]
      #33040 - Mon Sep 27 2004 06:31 PM

Thank you God! I had an absolutely miserable last few days, however the storm wasn't so bad
Lost power 2am Sunday. Prior to power going out we setup the generator, ran the cords, had the ice in the coolers, flashlights in various locations as well as candles and battiers easily accessible. Power went out, we got the generator running and we began the fun. I didn't want my sister to have to get up and lift the heavy gas can and stuff every hour (small generator) so I said I'd do it. I had to fiddle with my dads machines everytime it ran out of gas anyway so why not me?
Once house got too hot we opened the windows and the "breeze" from the cane felt great! I'm a hot (read "boiling") blooded guy so I'm sweating in anything above 75ish. I didn't get to wash my clothes beforehand..blah blah..long story short, little sleep, lots of dealing with my dad (which drives me to drinkin...which I did a bit of as well) and 24/7 sweaty/smelly clothes leads to a VERY not happy me.
Power at my sisters house came on for 30 seconds Sunday afternoon then off....on for another minute a few hours later, then off...finally on for good today at maybe 10 something...
We had power even in Deltona which is a HUGE shocker considering the fierce bands that went over us and we're usually last. I was expecting the worst cane yet, it was in fact the best for us. I could babble on for awhile but I'll spare y'all...
I can't thank you guys enough for being you. Tomorrow I go to work and donate blood, then I think I'll donate to the Red Cross...I've been getting impressed to do so....

--------------------
Bryan
What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.
God bless
I know very litte about weather. I'm here to learn mostly but will post friendly replies now and then. So if you don't want to see non-weather comments ignore me now. Thanx!

Ocala
Weather Watcher

Ocala Pics [Re: Staggy]
      #33041 - Mon Sep 27 2004 06:32 PM Attachment (461 downloads)

The boss's garage. He saw the tree start to go and managed to get his two cars about before it hit.

Wingman51
Weather Guru

Reged: Tue
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Ocean currents [Re: Keith234]
      #33042 - Mon Sep 27 2004 06:32 PM

OK, so let's see if I understand - - As the angle of the earth changes in relation to the tilt of it's axis, the prevailing winds and SSTs change, and the storms stop being generated by waves from Africa, and begin to be spawned in the GOM and the CArribean. I thank all of you for being understanding with those of us (old Farts) who still believe if the dogs hair is hot, it's sunny and if the dogs hair is wet, its raining. Thank God we in Florida don't have to deal with the dogs hair if its frozen. Have a Blessed day and Week.
Chuck

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
Re: Ocean currents [Re: Wingman51]
      #33043 - Mon Sep 27 2004 06:40 PM

The angle of the Earth, which is 23.5 degree's always does not change, it simply moves in it's orbit and becomes orientated differentely. Also, the Earth is at perigee during winter and the relation or the distance from the sun has nothing to do with the season, it has to do with the angle of insolation (incoming solar radiation). The way the earth is orientated effects how sunlight is recieved at the earth's surface, generally the greater the angle the more insolation recieved, this indirectly effects the placement of the ITCZ which is the convergence zone that spawns tropical waves, SST's and many more things.
well, that's not exactly right. the milkanovitch cycle and a more or less elliptical path around the sun affect the global heat budget to a large degree over their thousands of years worth of phase. the degree of dynamism and systemic redundancy, built in stability regimes.. make the world a good bit more robust and able to withstand change than a lot of global warming pundits would make mention of. -HF

Edited by HanKFranK (Tue Sep 28 2004 11:48 PM)

Staggy
Verified CFHC User

Re: Cartoon [Re: Staggy]
      #33044 - Mon Sep 27 2004 06:53 PM Attachment (509 downloads)

Anyone else feel like this? (see attached)

Edited by Staggy (Mon Sep 27 2004 06:54 PM)

Ocala
Weather Watcher

#33045 - Mon Sep 27 2004 06:55 PM

Quote:

Might be blind, but don't see attachment!

Wingman51
Weather Guru

Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Ocean currents [Re: Keith234]
      #33046 - Mon Sep 27 2004 06:56 PM

Keith
You said what I meant - but much more eloquently - thanks, and I'm sure I'll come back with many other perplexing questions. Do you have any additional thoughts about the wave currently exiting the African coast? I haven't seen it since earlier this afternoon and I think at that point you felt that shear would cut it to ribbons?
Chuck

Staggy
Verified CFHC User

Re: Cartoon [Re: Ocala]
      #33047 - Mon Sep 27 2004 07:00 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Might be blind, but don't see attachment!

doh! look again, I promise, its there now.

FreakedInFlorida
Verified CFHC User

Reporting from St. Lucie County [Re: Keith234]
      #33048 - Mon Sep 27 2004 07:03 PM

Well we made it back in one piece and surprisingly the power was restored 1 day after the storm. It pays I guess to live in a commercial area. We didn't get any damage to our house. In fact, nothing really looked changed at all, except a couple small branches from the same tree that dropped several large ones during Frances. We did decide to ride this out in a shelter though, because at Cat 3 or a possible 4 that they were reporting Saturday morning was enough to convince us to go. Luckily it seems it was a Cat 3 and even though we got the eye, didn't hit us as hard as it could have. The beach though from what the news is saying is a mess, many damaged homes, beyond just roof repair. North Hutchinson Island is still not letting residents on the island because of many downed concrete power poles that just smashed in half and are laying across A1A. Damage on the mainland seem to be less intense, and seemed to hit places that were already damaged from Frances. There did seem to be a lot more flooding this time. 2 blocks down from us, the flood waters were at 1-2 feet. Fortunately we are a bit west of the flood zone, so our yard had a couple puddles, but nothing like that.

Anyway, that's about all there is to say. Again I thank you for this forum. Helped a lot in determining the storm and to keep my thoughts on other things. The only thing was I wish I had it in the shelter. The news media really blows this stuff up.

FreakedInFlorida
Verified CFHC User

#33049 - Mon Sep 27 2004 07:11 PM

LOL, that is a hilarious cartoon and definitely one that can relate.

A couple shelter things:
One guy bought his whole house to the shelter and carried it in by the cartload. I was shocked they let him bring all that stuff, but they did.

During the storm, someone looked out and saw that we'd left our car door open enough for the light to be on inside. Afraid it will drain the battery, my dad convinced one of the police to let him go out during the eye and close it. Was kinda brave, but somewhat stupid too. I would have just got a jump in the morning, but that's my father.

35 cars got damaged from gravel pebbles that were on the roof of the shelter. Windows were busted out or shattered. 27 cars in that same shelter got damaged during Frances, including ours. We didn't get hit the second time around though.

Two hours after the official end to the storm, we were told we'd have to go home or move to a new shelter, so we packed up and went home. The streets were messy, no traffic lights and lots of flooding and blocked roads. Kinda wish they'd let us stay like they did last time, but made it home alright. We didn't move to a new shelter because we had a car and we'd brought 3 lawn chairs and supplies. Not worth loading the car and unloading it at that point.

Doing the happy dance that there is nothing in the tropics to get us for now. Can take all the break we can get.

Ricreig
User

Loc: Orlando, Fl
Re: Jeanne Inland in the Southeast [Re: MikeC]
      #33050 - Mon Sep 27 2004 07:19 PM

Ok, thanks to a generator, and by the grace of God, we're back, sort of. Unfortunately, for others of my neighbors, Jeanne apparantly changed track and went unexpectedly much further south and West than the NHC forecast had predicted (as of when I had to pulll the plug and evacuate). This meant that I, in East Orlando got a maximum of 78mph and my trailer, having already withstood both Frances and Charley (eye of Charley), stood up to the test again. More of my screen porch is missing, but no broken windows and only a few new dents in the trailer extermal metal.

I was so sleepy and tired after moving all but my furnature and major appliances to my boss's garage that both me and Tigger, my cat, felll asleep and missed al but the very worst of the wind and rain. My boss's home lost power about 3:20 am with a rather brilliant and loud flash of exploding transformers down the street a bit. Thus, the generator I brought over from the trailer has served us well once we fighred out that it has TWO oil sumps, both of which have a ignition cut-off switch. We filled one, the one we could see, but the other one, hidden on the reverse side eluded us during the wind and rain for about an hour. Discovering our error got the generator up, the refrig and a light and my UPS's alive so we could follow the storm until DSL went down and the phone dead a bit after power was lost.

They and I are among the 110,000 Frogress Energy customers in Orange county without power but they are making headway. No telling when trailer parks will get power and during Frances, my boss was among 4 homes in the entire subdivision apparantly on a little used circuit feeding a church and a few houses....low priority, 8 days later last time, they got around to it.

My camping gear (camp stove, etc) has come in handy and his fience cooked up all of the meat that had thawed before we figured out the generator and we had a feast. Now, with the fridge empty, and stomach full, at least we could make ice....that is until we got a 'don't use the toilets or drink water because the '[lift station' is without power for the area.....

Oh, well, we are unhurt, the cat has stopped shreiking in fear from the strange noises and scents, I've rested the old bod, and an IHOP was open today and I again have a full stomach.

To all of you that PM'ed me or wished me luck here in the forum, THANK YOU. To those we were able to help and sent me a thank you, you're welcome. To this forum, Ed, Mike and the rest of the gang, thanks for being here when we all needed you. Skeeter, thanks for the maps but I told you to NOT move the line so far West that it would endanger you. You just don't listen apparantly

Please, pray for those caught at ground zero, twice within 5 miles of each other and almost to the hour, 3 weeks apart. If it wasn't lost the first time, the second time got much of what was left. To Polk county, you got all 3 storms eye tracks. Thankfully, it was "Only" a CAT-I-II storm when it got to you that far inland, but it still beat up on you repeatedly. Thankfully, I don't think the panhandle got much, if anything from Jeanne? TLH I guess got it as a TS. Ocala and Gaiinsville apparantly were pretty surprised by the storm and JAX was spared all but a breeze as far as I know. I think this year, all, and I mean all of the Florida coast line communities from Key west to Jax, from the Keys to the Ala/Fla line and all points between had some kind of storm affect, some catatstrophic, some with minimal damage but all affected in some way. Almost all inland counties saw TS or hurricane force winds or flooding rains this past 6 weeks and the St Johns river has flooded so bad that major highways will be closed for many months because nearly half of the highway is now part of the river bank, eaten away and washed down stream. Only 1 lane is passable and they closed that until they can stabilize the shore and bring in (several thousand estimated) dump trucks worth of fill dirt to rebuild the missisng lanes and right of way. It's been a trip for all of us in Florida, and many of our neighbors to the north have had major impact because of the rain, some of which is still falling.

At least it is quiet now!!!

More later but I've got to go sit in a gas line and get a couple lof cans of gas for the generator....NEED THOSE FANS to work tonight

Richard (BTFM) Creighton
East Orlando

--------------------
Richard
A forecast is NOT a promise!

LI Phil
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Who is still unaccounted for? [Re: FreakedInFlorida]
      #33051 - Mon Sep 27 2004 07:20 PM

I don't have the time or energy to go back through all of Saturday's posts, but I am wondering who hasn't yet checked back in.

I see richard (ricreig) is now making a new reply, but I know that at a minimum, Colleen, Ed & WXMAN RICHIE have yet to check back in.

I need you guys to figure out who still hasn't posted since the storm hit so we can begin to worry about them.

Thanks!

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

COgal
Weather Watcher

Loc: Lake County FL
Re: Who is still unaccounted for? [Re: LI Phil]
      #33055 - Mon Sep 27 2004 07:45 PM

I posted yesterday but under a different name. Lost power early am and was unable to locate a radio station signal. Cell phone was not working. No generator. I was unaware the track had shifted. I suppose I had an idea when the winds didn't let up around the time I thought they were supposed to. No damage to house only minimal tree branches down and power out for 30 hours. Down the street the Citgo gas station was totaled. Haven't ventured further in Lake County to see what happened yet.
Stayed in Eustis today and delivered water/supplies to folks out here that I knew were alone during the storm and without power.
Tomorrow am going to Lady Lake to help a few elderly folks get their yards cleaned up.
Spending the rest of the week with the "Hands On Orlando" crew helping hand out water and cleaning up debris.

kelcot
Weather Guru

Reged: Wed
Loc: Canton, Ga
      #33056 - Mon Sep 27 2004 07:46 PM

Phil, I PMed Colleen yesterday, but I still haven't heard from her.

I finally spoke to my mom in Vero. There were 2 tornados by her house that pulled up 4 palm trees unfortunately 2 of the 4 landed on her house. The good news is that palm trees usuially aren't that heavy so they were blown back off. She has numerous leaks in her ceiling. The entire roof is going to need replacing. She has to replace ALL of her carpeting and paneling. And they won't know about structural damage until they take the roof off.

My aunt and uncle's house is non-salvagable. (A pine tree fell on it during Frances) He can't find the swimming pool that was once in his yard. (They also have a lake in their yard, so the water from the lake and all of the debris covered it entirely.)

My cousin's roof was lifted off and set back down during Frances. Jeanne kind of pushed it off the side a bit so it sort of looks like how a pimp wears his hat. (Sorry, it's the only analigy I could think of.) Needless to say, their home is more than likely unsalvagable.

My grandparents (they live next door to my aunt & uncle) escaped with only a few shingles missing.

But, all in all, everyone is safe.

--------------------
Kelly

LI Phil
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Who is still unaccounted for? [Re: kelcot]
      #33057 - Mon Sep 27 2004 07:51 PM

Yeah, Kelly, I PMed her too...no response...

Skeeter drove through her area and reports that all power is out, so I can only hope that is what is keeping her from posting. I spoke with WXMAN RICHIE via telephone and he is OK. Highest recorded gust at that time was 87 mph, and a lowest pressure of 28.93.

Ed's been through his fair share of these bad boys, and being a met for 50+ years, you had to know he and Bettye were more than prepared...he'll probably be back when his power is restored.

Just glad you are unharmed...possessions can be replaced but lives cannot...that's the most important thing!

When I heard the latest reports that Jeanne "only" killed six in Florida my heart sank but it was in a way comforting because it could have been much worse.

Thanks for checking back in!

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

CatInOrlando

Loc: Orlando, FL 28:24N 81:26W
      #33058 - Mon Sep 27 2004 07:52 PM

I know that I am nowhere near a "regular" yet, still wanted to check in and say thanks to all of you though. I am in Orlando about 1 mile from SeaWorld...we heard winds almost all day Sunday, the worst was in the early morning 7-8ish...the wind shoook the house and rattled the windows for long periods of time. But even with all the sound and fury, we escaped with no damage, and no power outage from Jeanne. Cable is down (since 10something am Sunday), so no internet at home....and work has been crazy mad today, just getting to a point now where I could catch up on posts and send a shout out.

My heart goes out to all of those dealing with much worse experiences than ours.

And people really REALLY dont know how to 4way stop at light out intersections! Almost got ran over, and I am an exceptionally careful driver.

The friends from the mobile home that stayed here with us are heading home today to check how they did. And the student is staying with us until tomorrow morning. So all our little ducks are safe and sound. Wishing the best to everyone else, I will check back in periodically as I get a chance at work. Last time the cable at home was out for almost a week.

Thanks for being here, thanks for listening. I am constantly learning so much here!

Wxwatcher2
Storm Tracker

Loc:
Re: Jeanne Inland in the Southeast [Re: rmbjoe1954]
      #33059 - Mon Sep 27 2004 08:09 PM

Hi everyone. I was in the Georgia Mountains while Jeanne was hitting home in Altamonte Springs, Fl.
I drove down I-75 in Torpical Storm/depression Jeanne today.
Rained pretty hard and blowing in Macon, Ga and rained all thw way down until Valdosta.
Once in Florida, the skies got progresssively brighter the nearer I got to Central Florida.
The only real damage I noticed were to billboards and street signs, a few trees knocked over.
Other than that, my area looks great. Nice and clean. Kind of like Jeanne cleaned up the place.
IPower is on, cable is on. Living inland sure is lots safer than on the coast.

Lets all hope and pray that this is it for Florida this hurricane season.
We are all definately over it.

By the way, gas stations are empty.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 105 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 143471

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center