F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 239 (Idalia) , Major: 239 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 239 (Idalia) Major: 239 (Idalia)

General Discussion >> Other Weather Events

Pages: 1
Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
91L & 92L
      #34455 - Sun Nov 14 2004 05:08 PM

Gobal Warming is really taking place, I have a theory on this and if it does verify then the east coast will have a mini-ice age, like the one in 1739 to 1740. Until the wave-length's boarden, which will eventually will happen once the features combine, winter will pulse. JB has a very good grip on this winter, I feel his forecast is dead on. It might just pop out of nowhere this season much like 2002, very similar. Let's see if the Thames river freezes over this year...

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Spike
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Central, Florida
Re: 91L & 92L [Re: Keith234]
      #34456 - Sun Nov 14 2004 06:39 PM

Do you think that, a mini ice age could happen?

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: 91L & 92L [Re: Spike]
      #34459 - Sun Nov 14 2004 06:49 PM

What are your parameters for classifying a winter as a mini-ice age? But this year and the previous 3 years there has been no dominant oscillation and yet the winters were all below normal, the only possible explanation would lead us to global warming or a combination of the wobbling of earth with global warming.

--------------------
Edgar Allan Poe

Spike
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Central, Florida
Re: 91L & 92L [Re: Keith234]
      #34460 - Sun Nov 14 2004 06:53 PM

It does seem like we have had some really weird weather in the last few years. We already broke the worst hurricane season record. And most tornados spawned record. Maby we will have some feirce winters too. But who knows we are coming up on winter and we will just have to wait and see how this winter season works out.

--------------------
Patrick
God Bless America
Be proud of your Country!

HanKFranK
User

Reged:
Loc: Graniteville, SC
short sight? [Re: Spike]
      #34471 - Tue Nov 16 2004 04:52 AM

keith, spike.. opening a rather big can of worms there. i know the day after tomorrow must have really impressed y'all, but there isn't a whole lot of empirical evidence to be had that we're going to have a 'mini ice-age' this winter. this stuff does belong in another forum, for one.. but i'll indulge at least a little.. nothing you've seen this year hasn't happened before. just because it's 2004 and we can more accurately monitor and detect weather events.. and record more storms.. doesn't mean that there's been an empirical change of any sort.
short of a large scale change in solar output, a global-scale asteroid event, or some kind of rampant volcanism.. i don't see that the minor addition to the world's CO2 level that people make is a really huge deal. the world's climate and global circulation can exist in a variety of different stability regimes.. just because the one we've had the last couple of centuries is what we're used to doesn't mean it's something that can't or won't ever change.
HF 0439z16november

StormHound
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Grid Computing [Re: HanKFranK]
      #34472 - Tue Nov 16 2004 05:30 PM

I don't remember who brought this idea up a couple of months ago, but I ran across this article about leveraging home PCs.
Grid Computing Project Article

A small excerpt from the article:
Volunteers will be asked to download a program to their computers that runs when the machine is idle and reaches out to request data to contribute to research projects.

Organizers say the Grid can help unlock genetic codes that underlie diseases like AIDS (news - web sites) and HIV (news - web sites), Alzheimer's or cancer, improve forecasting of natural disasters and aid studies to protect the world's food and water supply.

The massive volunteer project will be unveiled Tuesday by Sam Palmisano, CEO of International Business Machines Corp. (IBM), the world's largest computer company, along with United Nations (news - web sites) officials, researchers from the Mayo Clinic, Oxford University and South Africa, and others.

--------------------
Storm Hound
Computer Geek

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: short sight? [Re: HanKFranK]
      #34473 - Tue Nov 16 2004 07:52 PM

I actually had the idea before the Day after Tommorrow came out, I think of these things. The key word is age, and if the winters keep on getting proggresively cooler over the east for a long time period what do you call that? We don't even know the classification for what a ice-age would be...I'm not making wild speculation, I'm bringing forth possible explanations; don't take it the wrong way.

--------------------
Edgar Allan Poe

HanKFranK
User

Reged:
Loc: Graniteville, SC
on ice ages [Re: Keith234]
      #34474 - Tue Nov 16 2004 11:13 PM

when the upper midwest is under hundreds of feet of glacial ice, we'll start talking ice age. we DO, that is DO KNOW.. what constitutes an ice age. one of most obvious symptoms is that you get lots of ice. glaciers grow, tundra expands southward, the mid latitudes get squeezed southward.. etc but hey, aren't glaciers receding everywhere in the northern hemisphere? yep. it's probably not the right analogy to be making.
winters were cooler in the '60s through the early '80s than they have been for the last couple of decades. that's overall.. an extremely cold month or two has generally been offset by warm periods in recent winters.
it's always a good idea not to sound like one of the articles that you might see on the AP wires about how some scientific study sees drastic climate change... really most any environmentally-related story in the media.. they tend to be overly dramatic and project horrible circumstances.. they ALWAYS harp on negative effects.
reality is never as simple. kinda like, since 1995 we've been marveling at how active hurricane seasons have been, and saying things like 'boy, at least they aren't making landfall...'
of course in 2004 we ran out of luck. overall conditions haven't been all that different when you get down to it, but shift that east coast trough position ten or fifteen degrees...
a'ite man, getting off the pulpit.. really this stuff belongs over in an 'other events' forum.. but it isn't september and nothing is active. really all of the site traffic is relegated to the main board right now.
HF 2304z16november

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is enabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 5483

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center