F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 233 (Idalia) , Major: 233 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 233 (Idalia) Major: 233 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)
hurricane_run
Storm Tracker

Reged: Sun
Loc: USA
Re: Carib stuff [Re: hurricane_run]
      #35577 - Tue May 17 2005 06:15 PM

if it makes it across C.A. somewhat intact

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rabbit
Weather Master

Reged: Sat
Loc: Central Florida
Re: Carib stuff [Re: Keith234]
      #35578 - Tue May 17 2005 06:19 PM

Tropical Storm Andres in early June 1997 moved eastward and even southeast there
Andres

Andres made it across, but did not redevelop though, but it was being sheared quite alot from the moment it formed, and had weakened to a weak TD before landfall

Lysis
User

Reged: Thu
Loc: Hong Kong
Re: Carib stuff [Re: Rabbit]
      #35579 - Tue May 17 2005 06:26 PM

If my memmory serves me correct, there was one cyclone that switched basins (and subsequently its name) more than once. I can't find where I read this. Anyone know of what I am referring to?

--------------------
cheers

Rabbit
Weather Master

Re: Carib stuff [Re: Lysis]
      #35580 - Tue May 17 2005 06:34 PM

it was in 1961
On November 1 1961, Hurricane Hattie moved into the Eastern Pacific, became Tropical Storm Simone, turned north, hit Mexico on November 3, dissipated, moved over the Bay of Campeche on November 4, and was reclassified and given a third name--Tropical Storm Inga.

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
      #35581 - Tue May 17 2005 06:34 PM

Quote:

If my memmory serves me correct, there was one cyclone that switched basins (and subsequently its name) more than once. I can't find where I read this. Anyone know of what I am referring to?

Earl?

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

Storm Cooper
User

Loc: Panama City , FL
Re: Carib stuff [Re: Rabbit]
      #35582 - Tue May 17 2005 06:35 PM

Nice work! Both of you.

--------------------
Hurricane Season 2017 13/7/1

Heather
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Tue
Loc: Sebring, FL
      #35583 - Tue May 17 2005 06:37 PM

OK, help me out here. If the storm switched basins and survived, then what? I mean I understand the directions of storms moving east to west. But, west to east seems strange. Would it get caught up and move into the GOM or keep on truckin' against the grain into the Atlantic? Make any sense?

--------------------
When it rains, it pours...

Rabbit
Weather Master

Re: Carib stuff [Re: Storm Cooper]
      #35584 - Tue May 17 2005 06:37 PM

i just remembered another one--Mitch in 1998
the center was over the Pacific for a short time, although it was never classified, which is why the name stayed teh same in the Bay of Campeche (this might be the one you were thinking of)

Rich B
British Meteorologist

Loc: Gloucestershire, England, UK
      #35585 - Tue May 17 2005 06:37 PM

Just took a quick look at the latest visible imagery, and has anyone else noticed the low over the Dominican Republic (formerly 91L) has started to get beeter organised. It seems quite compact, but there appears to definitely be some organisation there. Any thoughts?

--------------------
Rich B

SkyWarn UK

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
Re: Carib stuff [Re: Heather]
      #35586 - Tue May 17 2005 06:44 PM

Well, hurricanes don't necessarily always follow the prevailing winds (jet) per se, but are much more influenced by trofs and ridges. In this case, there happens to be a trof in the southwest which allows the cyclone to override the prevailing wind flow, as it is very weak this time of year.

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

Rabbit
Weather Master

Re: Carib stuff [Re: Rich B]
      #35587 - Tue May 17 2005 06:46 PM

i just looked at a topograpy map
high mountains in Central America
i still think that it could hit as a tropical storm and regenerate as a TS again in the Caribbean, because in 1998 Mitch hit as a barely Cat I and moved VERY slowly over the mountains for 5 days, and still managed to regenerate as a tropcial storm
this is expected to be a tad weaker, but it will be moving much faster

I am making an official forecast on this:
Landfall 75-80 mph intensity, and about 24 hours after getting into the Caribbean, it will probably strengthen to a TS, probably a hybrid system as Mitch did in 1998 (look for it to possibly be classified as a subtropical storm there)

as for the easterly flow, the low in the Caribbean we have had there the last few days has probably had some influence of weakening the easterly flow

Bloodstar

Reged: Mon
Loc: Tucson, AZ
Re: Carib stuff [Re: Rich B]
      #35588 - Tue May 17 2005 06:46 PM

Quote:

Just took a quick look at the latest visible imagery, and has anyone else noticed the low over the Dominican Republic (formerly 91L) has started to get beeter organised. It seems quite compact, but there appears to definitely be some organisation there. Any thoughts?

it looks like it's getting sheared apart. So I don't see anything happening...

-Mark

--------------------
M. S. Earth and Atmospheric Sciences, Georgia Tech - May 2020
Brookhaven National Laboratory
U. Arizona PhD Student

nl
Storm Tracker

Loc: nsb,fl
Re: Carib stuff [Re: Bloodstar]
      #35589 - Tue May 17 2005 07:03 PM

so what we are saying is we might have a TS in may? is that normal stuff? i think its wierd and does that explain the reason why such a high probality for landfalls this season? this stuff is so cool. looks like ill have a good surfing season, well except for the sharks. lol

Storm Cooper
User

Loc: Panama City , FL
Re: Carib stuff [Re: nl]
      #35590 - Tue May 17 2005 07:09 PM

It is possible....possible... but I think it may be a long shot at this time.

--------------------
Hurricane Season 2017 13/7/1

rmbjoe1954
Weather Master

Loc: Port Saint Lucie, Florida, USA
      #35591 - Tue May 17 2005 07:29 PM

If anything were to occur it would be weakened; i do not see anything of substance sustaining life for long.

Still, time will tell.

--------------------
________2024 Forecast: 28/14/8________

There is little chance that meteorologists can solve the mysteries of weather until they gain an understanding of the mutual attraction of rain and weekends. ~Arnot Sheppard

Lysis
User

#35592 - Tue May 17 2005 07:35 PM

Thanks rabbit:

According to this:
http://www.ejournal.unam.mx/atmosfera/Vol16-4/ATM16401.pdf
...only six Tropical cyclones have made landfall around Guatemala. All tropical storm intensity...no hurricanes. Perhaps this will be another first, much like the south Atlantic system that hit Brazil last year.

--------------------
cheers

HanKFranK
User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Graniteville, SC
      #35596 - Tue May 17 2005 08:12 PM

thought that system looked healthy last night...
based on the outflow signature, and the amount of low level convergence clear in the visibles, i'd agree with some here and say that the NHC intensity forecast is conservative. sure it's going "backwards", but y'all remember lenny...
i don't think there's an el salvador landfall i've ever come across in the historic database, so this could be a first if it keeps ene. this thing should become adrian and it may be more than just a borderline ts/hurricane.. something that section of coast doesn't typically see regardless. if the system crosses it will probably be disorganized at the surface and shallower, so the rapid ene movement late in the forecast period may be overdone. if it comes off still as a deep system, yeah, it'll be sheared and racing ene... a shallower system might drift and slowly spin down or build back up slowly if it can find a shear gap. clark mentioned some evolution of features in the mid latitudes that could shelter it or give it a more poleward path, but that's far down the road for a system with little climatology.
by the way, if it survives (and the NHC doesn't decide that it has 'reformed') the trek across central america it will still be called adrian.. the NHC changed their convention on that a couple years ago (about the same time they changed the naming convention for subtropical systems).
this will also confuse our season numbers from the outset. in my book this will be a pacific system and not count into my atlantic totals.. and they already need all the help they can get. in my book a system counts in the basin it formed in, in the month it formed in.. regardless of where it goes or when it reaches different tiers of intensity.
so anyway.. may 19th we get the end of the star wars series and the beginning of guatemala/el salvador hurricanes. i've got a conference to hit with a bunch of met/climo people that evening, so i guess we'll have something to talk about.
HF 0111z18may

Lysis
User

Re: Carib stuff [Re: HanKFranK]
      #35598 - Tue May 17 2005 08:26 PM

may 19th we get the end of the star wars series and the beginning of guatemala/el salvador hurricanes

Well Hank, you just combined my two favorite subjects. You made my day.
As for as this being the first real cyclone that this area has had.... well, ever, could we be looking at major loss of life? Guatemala hasn’t done too well in the past with this sort of thing (ie, mitch).

--------------------
cheers

Edited by Lysis (Tue May 17 2005 08:29 PM)

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged: Wed
Loc:
      #35625 - Tue May 17 2005 10:40 PM

Keith234 -- the jet is directly influenced by the positions of the jets and ridges. In fact, jets are often found between the two where the height gradient (the difference in heights over an area) is the greatest. That comes out of the mathematical framework of the weather.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

RrYyAaNn
Unregistered

IS IT POSSIBLE?!?!? [Re: Clark]
      #35751 - Wed May 18 2005 10:01 PM

im jw..is it possible for this thing to go over c.a into the bahamas and then on its way to the us coast..if so, where on the coast would you say??

.ryan.
----------------
I have experienced no hurricanes, and thats no fun

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 687 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 50702

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center