F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 233 (Idalia) , Major: 233 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 233 (Idalia) Major: 233 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> Hurricane History

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1
HanKFranK
User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Graniteville, SC
san diego hurricane, 2october1858
      #34947 - Tue Mar 01 2005 05:41 PM

i've posted the link to this article below. the other night i was searching through articles in the journal of climate and came across the official document. from limited information available, time-series weather charts of the region were reconstructed... most of the article involved accounts from san diego describing the conditions and their progression in the nature of a passing tropical cyclone. makes me wonder what else chris landsea will dig up. whats even cooler is that one of the faculty at USC that i know was referenced as contributing... reckon i'll have something to ask him about next time i talk to him.
HF 2236z01march

http://www.signonsandiego.com/news/metro/20050112-9999-2m12cane.html

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
ClarkModerator
Meteorologist

Reged: Wed
Loc:
Re: san diego hurricane, 2october1858 [Re: HanKFranK]
      #34949 - Wed Mar 02 2005 12:18 AM

There was an article in the Bulletin of the AMS about that system as well back in the November issue; it may well be very much like that in the Journal of Climate. They were hyping up that story in particular because the annual AMS conference was in, of all place, San Diego in January.

It's an easy & interesting read for those into global hurricane history, not just that of the Atlantic. For those interested, you *should* be able to get a PDF copy here: http://ams.allenpress.com/pdfserv/10.1175%2FBAMS-85-11-1689

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

danielwAdministrator

Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: san diego hurricane, 2october1858 [Re: Clark]
      #34957 - Sat Mar 05 2005 11:21 PM

Thanks. A most interesting article. I would have never suspected a tropical storm of any magnitude in the SouthWest. Chris Landsea et al certainly do a fine job!
Clark and Hank, you need to start on your manuscripts so you can publish as soon as you graduate!

ClarkModerator
Meteorologist

Loc:
Re: san diego hurricane, 2october1858 [Re: danielw]
      #34964 - Tue Mar 08 2005 01:37 AM

Daniel -- there are a few other documented examples of such storms, but they are pretty rare. It's almost got to be perfect conditions -- much like me seeing snow in Tallahassee, except a bit more rare -- for a storm to make it intact to California. Sea surface temperatures need to be pretty warm, the storm needs to be fairly strong as it begins to recurve to the north and northeast, and the storm needs to be moving rapidly to maintain its intensity. The closer the storm parallels the Baja coast, the more likely it is to make it further north due to warmer sea surface temps.

I'm not sure if there is any data about the storm from well to the south, but I'd bet it was a pretty strong (cat 3+) storm off of the coast of Mexico. It'd be interesting for the sheer effect to see something like it again someday (albeit staying offshore so as to spare a very highly developed SW Cali coast!), but I don't see it as very likely.

As for publishing...in due time! If it all works out, it's going to be some very good stuff...and some initial stuff could come as early as later this year.

--------------------

hurricane_run
Storm Tracker

Reged: Sun
Loc: USA
Re: san diego hurricane, 2october1858 [Re: danielw]
      #35142 - Mon Apr 04 2005 02:44 PM

neither did I

Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged: Sun
Loc: Melbourne, FL
      #35363 - Fri May 13 2005 09:53 AM

Actually, if my memory is still fairly accurate, one of the most active locations for tropical cyclone activity in the southwestern U.S. is Yuma, Arizona - check it out. If a storm comes up the Gulf of California (which is a rare event), it does not encounter cooler water. I think that they've had two or three events in Yuma.
Cheers,
ED

ClarkModerator
Meteorologist

Loc:
Re: san diego hurricane, 2october1858 [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #35417 - Sun May 15 2005 12:26 AM

Ed, they do tend to get some storms up in Arizona that traverse the Gulf of California (I can recall a few tropical storm-force cyclones in the area), though they are limited by the narrow expanse of water in the region. It's almost akin for those storms to those passing directly through the Caribbean Islands (e.g. Georges 1998), albeit not quite the same in manner. The trip up the other side of the Baja, though, is practically death for a storm.

Most memorable for me, however, was Atlantic TC Claudette -- I think 2003 -- that made landfall in S. Texas as a weak hurricane. It continued to the west for several days, bringing large amounts of rain across the Rio Grande basin, with no forcing to lift its remnants to the north. Finally, as it reached southern California, it met with a trough to lift it towards the north and into the midlatitudes. That is certainly a rare event, an interesting one at any rate.

--------------------

HanKFranK
User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Graniteville, SC
      #35420 - Sun May 15 2005 12:47 AM

guess that was nora in '97 being referred to. i've seen reference on kathleen in 1976 also. i did talk to cary (prof. here who was referenced in the article). when the research was being done he sort of laughed the idea of a san diego hurricane off, but the author put all the data together and came up with a really good case in the end. if ya want to eyeball another weirdo pacific storm, check out the hurricane in the subtropics in 1975. that's about as out-of-place as, say, a hurricane in brazil.
HF 0548z15may

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 6 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 6043

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center