F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

General Discussion >> Site Updates, Suggestions and Questions

Pages: 1
Lysis
User

Reged:
Loc: Hong Kong
Erroneous info...
      #34854 - Fri Feb 04 2005 04:53 PM

I dont know if anyone cares about this, but I am bored so I will post it anyway:

Just looking over the General Info section, I noticed two little errors. In the Saffir Simpson chart, Andrew is sighted as a CAT 4, and Mitch is listed for the CAT 5 example. Now, to his credit, Mitch was a super hurricane, however he weakened to a tropical storm before landfall --which is what I am presuming the chart is using as a point of reference. Unfortinatly, he still had enough power to drop several feet of rain killing 20,000 people. As for Andrew, if my memmory serves me correct, it was reclassified as a catagory 5 storm at landfall. Perhapes someone could bump up Andrew to the CAT 5 example slot, and replace his catagory 4 spot with a hurricane like Carla. I diddnt want to say this, but I think that anyone who was affected by either of these storms would agree that this be fixed. Sorry for nagging, but I just had to say it.

--------------------
cheers

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Erroneous info... [Re: Lysis]
      #34873 - Tue Feb 08 2005 01:11 AM

Perhaps Mike can put Charley in as a Cat IV. Mitch was a 5, yes, but not at landfall. Andrew, 10 years later, was reclassified, but was a marginal 5 at best (not making light of that fact, he was the mother of all canes, at least in terms of being the most expensive). Ivan was also a 5, but not at US landfall, and he danced around every piece of land on his way to the US (except Greneda). Gilbert was a 5 when he struck the Caymans, so perhaps he would be a better example. And of course, there's always Camille.

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

HanKFranK
User

Reged:
Loc: Graniteville, SC
Re: Erroneous info... [Re: LI Phil]
      #34877 - Tue Feb 08 2005 06:18 AM

not quite so. mitch was still a category two when it moved inland near la ceiba, honduras. category five conditions were experienced on offshore islands north of honduras.. things were also bad at swan island.
you're right on with Andrew. it was reclassified a 5, so there it belongs. there are probably other hurricanes that would get the same nod were there the necessary information.. but it's splitting hairs. Andrew fit the classic ferocious windstorm image most people have of hurricanes... a bunch of buildings wrecked in florida. mitch hit the developing world and killed thousands with floods and mudslides. either is an appropriate example.
with lower category hurricanes picking a reference hurricane can be trickier. a weakening cat 3 hitting rural south texas (bret, 1999) set against a strengthening cat 3 hitting galveston (alicia, 1983) illustrates the difficulty in picking a classic example. Opal and fran are the examples used.. they are decent, perhaps low, middle of the road cat 3s. category rarely equates to net effect... the storms that caused the largest number of casualties in the u.s. during the last ten years were allison, 2001, and floyd, 1999.. both via inland flooding. neither was particularly intense when it hit. not to de-emphasize the classic major hurricane with the tremendous coastal damage from surge and wind.. but it's the rainy weak storms that kill people in the developed world.
much digression. i'll shut up now.
HF 0519z08february

Edited by HanKFranK (Tue Feb 08 2005 06:26 AM)

Lysis
User

Reged:
Re: Erroneous info... [Re: HanKFranK]
      #34880 - Wed Feb 09 2005 07:21 PM

but it's the rainy weak storms that kill people in the developed world.
While what you say is true, the third world isnt the only place on earth affected by TS's and minimal hurricanes. My worst huricane memmory is not from Charley, or even Andrew ...but from a little storm named Irene. Heck, I think it only gusted just over hurricane strength, yet with rain measuring by the foot, Irene managed to do more damage to my home than any other hurricane that I have been through --and there wasn’t even an eye to get. I suppose that this reinforces the concept that all tropical cyclones can be deadly. A chief concern among hurricane planners is the lack of education among costal communities having never experienced a hurricane, or perhapes worse yet, a minor one, giving themselves a false sense of security. Now, in the case of my town the general attitude among people when threatened with a minimal hurricane is" It is only a CAT 2... Im not even putting my shutters up!" People figure that if they survived a storm like Charley, than somthing like Frances won't touch em. So in a sense, overconfidence can be just as deadly as under appreciation.
that's what i was saying above. inland flooding with weaker storms is the big killer in the developed world (e.g. US in our basin). this is true in much of the developing world as well.. coastal surge and high winds seldom account for as many deaths as was the case earlier last century. -HF

Edited by HanKFranK (Wed Feb 09 2005 10:43 PM)

Lysis
User

Reged:
Re: Erroneous info... [Re: Lysis]
      #34887 - Fri Feb 11 2005 04:06 PM

oops ....misread.

--------------------
cheers

B.C.Francis
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Indiatlantic Florida
problem posting images [Re: Lysis]
      #35529 - Tue May 17 2005 06:25 PM

I`m having a bit of trouble posting images or pages like the rest of you guys, I need some help. I don`t know what I`m doing wrong, its fustrating.....I`d appreciate any tutoring.......Weatherchef

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
Re: problem posting images [Re: B.C.Francis]
      #35534 - Tue May 17 2005 07:01 PM

BC Francis, in the main news thread, you were trying to post a link to the NASA GHCC weather image serve as an image, which doesn't work. Their images are generated "on the fly," meaning you won't be able to post an image here on the website. Try posting a link to the webpage instead, e.g. to http://weather.msfc.nasa.gov/ and tell the others where to go from there to see what you're getting at. Plus, those images change all the time: you'd go in a day later and things would be completely different and you'd have no idea why the image was being shown in the first place. This way, there's no such confusion.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

B.C.Francis
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: problem posting images [Re: Clark]
      #35539 - Tue May 17 2005 07:10 PM

Thanks Clark, I`ll give it try.....Weatherchef

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: problem posting images [Re: B.C.Francis]
      #35602 - Wed May 18 2005 12:43 AM

actually...mike would appreciate it if NO ONE posts images on the main page...it eats too much bandwidth and can "blow out" the screen/page size, causing the viewer to have to scroll both left and right as well as up and down and this is very disconcerting.

if you do manage to post an image (again, this is just for the main board, not any of the other forums), one of the mods will most likely change it to a link...

it's much easier just to post a link, both for the user and the viewer...

cheers!

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

B.C.Francis
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: problem posting images [Re: LI Phil]
      #35657 - Wed May 18 2005 12:54 PM

I understand Phil.....Thanks.......Weatherchef

Pages: 1

Extra information
0 registered and 9 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 7024

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center