F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 232 (Idalia) , Major: 232 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 232 (Idalia) Major: 232 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)
Clark
Meteorologist

Reged: Wed
Loc:
Tropical Depression #1 Forms in the Caribbean
      #36324 - Wed Jun 08 2005 05:14 PM

The season's first tropical depression, TD #1, has formed in the Northwest Caribbean Sea. Located just over 300 miles south of the western tip of Cuba, the storm is forecast to gradually become better organized into a strong tropical storm over the next three days and make landfall along the northern Gulf coast late Saturday evening or early Sunday morning. A series of hurricane hunter flights is planned into the storm over the coming days to provide further information about the storm, which continues to become better organized on satellite imagery with time.

Everyone along the northern Gulf coast from Texas to Florida should pay attention to the path & evolution of this storm. We'll know more about the future intensity and path of the season's first depression over the coming hours.

Current Model Plots (Thanks M. Bryson & Coop)

Event Related Links
Animated model plots for TD#1

Edited by MikeC (Wed Jun 08 2005 10:18 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
LI Phil
User

Reged: Fri
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Tropical Depression #1 Forms in the Caribbean [Re: Clark]
      #36326 - Wed Jun 08 2005 05:17 PM

Until we get links and (hopefully) Skeetobite's maps...i'll post the weather underground tracking map

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Droop31
Weather Watcher

Loc: Pensacola
Re: Tropical Depression #1 Forms in the Caribbean [Re: Clark]
      #36328 - Wed Jun 08 2005 05:35 PM

I talked to a good friend of mine, he's got alot of knowledge and expirence in forecasting, and chasing tropical weather. He believes TD1 has the possibilty of becoming a minimal hurricane before landfall. I tend to think so too, but Im going to stick with a 60 mph tropical storm landfalling somewhere between the Mouth of the MS. and Destin. Leaning towards Biloxi/Pascagoula.

BigTK99
Unregistered

Re: Tropical Depression #1 Forms in the Caribbean [Re: Droop31]
      #36329 - Wed Jun 08 2005 05:45 PM

One thing interesting to note. If you look at Climatology in early june. Most storms from that origin normally strike the west coast of florida

Steve
Senior Storm Chaser

Loc: Metairie, LA
Re: Tropical Depression #1 Forms in the Caribbean [Re: LI Phil]
      #36330 - Wed Jun 08 2005 05:45 PM

I posted this morning at the tropical weather forum on S2K that I have it as a 65mph Tropical Storm making landfall mid-day Monday between Henderson Point, MS (Hancock Co.) and Mobile Bay (Mobile Co.). Some of the pro mets I've encountered think the GFDL/GFS is way too fast and too far west. We'll see.

Steve

Beaujolais
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Thu
Loc: Kenner, LA but displaced in VA...
Re: Tropical Depression #1 Forms in the Caribbean *DELETED* [Re: Steve]
      #36331 - Wed Jun 08 2005 05:49 PM

Post deleted by LI Phil

--------------------
Displaced Cajun

Storm Cooper
User

Reged: Sat
Loc: Panama City , FL
Re: 18Z Runs w/ NHC Track [Re: Beaujolais]
      #36332 - Wed Jun 08 2005 05:51 PM

--------------------
Hurricane Season 2017 13/7/1

Rich B
British Meteorologist

Loc: Gloucestershire, England, UK
Re: 18Z Runs w/ NHC Track [Re: Storm Cooper]
      #36333 - Wed Jun 08 2005 05:55 PM

well looks like the models currently agree on a landfall somewhere between New Orleans and Pensacola. My personal opinion says somewhere near or just east of Mobile, AL... possibly as a minimal Hurricane. Looks like it will come very close or just over the tip of western Cuba too, this likely sometime overnight Thursday or very early Friday, and probably as a 45 mph Tropical Storm.

--------------------
Rich B

SkyWarn UK

Orlando, FL
Unregistered

Re: 18Z Runs w/ NHC Track [Re: Storm Cooper]
      #36334 - Wed Jun 08 2005 05:57 PM

I got the feeling that the track in going to shift a little more towards the east.

Rick on boat in Mobile
Weather Drama Guru

Re: 18Z Runs w/ NHC Track [Re: Orlando, FL]
      #36335 - Wed Jun 08 2005 06:02 PM

no big deal...i don't get nervous till they are a cat 3....

a tropical storm is almost a daily event in Mobile. This place can suck up some rain...all it will do is keep things cooler, but, alas...wet....

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: 18Z Runs w/ NHC Track [Re: Rick on boat in Mobile]
      #36338 - Wed Jun 08 2005 06:33 PM

Our local met out of Tampa stated that they feel the Bermuda High would guide the storm towards the west. My question is where is the Bermuda High located at this time, latitude and longitude etc. Because there is no definitive satellite picture showing the effects of the high as there was last year.

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

Droop31
Weather Watcher

#36339 - Wed Jun 08 2005 06:35 PM

I agree Rick, The Pensacola area could handle a minimal TS but a strong TS or minimal hurricane might be pushing it. Alot of people still live in temporary shelter AKA trailers and RV's. Hope they start strapping them down soon.

LI Phil
User

Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: 18Z Runs w/ NHC Track [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #36340 - Wed Jun 08 2005 06:40 PM

well, either i'm smoking grass or the tampa met is because it is my understanding of the bermuda high (pardon the pun) is that it affects atlantic storms, particularly CV long trackers, but not GOM storms....i don't believe it has much, if any, influence on gulf storms.

somebody please correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe there are other factors (like the ridge clark mentioned) which would cause this TD to move NNW, but not the BH

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

HanKFranK
User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Graniteville, SC
      #36341 - Wed Jun 08 2005 06:40 PM

got a hunch that it will get up to hurricane in the south central gulf late on friday, then near steady on its way in, maybe weakening slightly near landfall. think that will be sunday afternoon near perdido bay (fl/al border).. maybe just east of where Ivan crossed last year. an earlier landfall will be further west, probably a weak sheared system. later will be more to the east, probably the same relative intensity (borderline ts/hurricane). i don't think louisiana or anywhere east of apalachicola gets hit... somewhere in the middle, most likely pascagoula over to navarre.
HF 2339z08june

Steve unplugged
Unregistered

Re: 18Z Runs w/ NHC Track [Re: LI Phil]
      #36343 - Wed Jun 08 2005 06:45 PM

>>well, either i'm smoking grass or the tampa met is because it is my understanding of the bermuda high (pardon the pun) is that it affects atlantic storms, particularly CV long trackers, but not GOM storms....i don't believe it has much, if any, influence on gulf storms.

You're smoking the grass - not saying I blame you or anything. The position of the Bermuda High/SW Atlantic Ridge plays a part in all storms that travel its periphery or approach its sphere of influence. Often that ridge is deep into the SE US, other times it's out to sea It just depends on where it's at and what its strength is. My guess would be the western periphery will be across the Florida peninsula, and belief that it's going to build in and accelerate TD #! in a NNW-NW motion around it's western side. How strong the ridging is and how far west it comes will determine if we have a WFL landfall or an AL/MS landfall.

Steve

Steve-ack
Unregistered

Re: 18Z Runs w/ NHC Track [Re: Steve unplugged]
      #36344 - Wed Jun 08 2005 06:46 PM

>>and belief that it's going to build in and accelerate TD #! in a NNW-NW motion around it's western side

And what that was supposed to continue to say was the belief...is what's guiding the NHC and modeling in the track.

Steve

wxman007
Meteorologist

Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL
Re: 18Z Runs w/ NHC Track [Re: LI Phil]
      #36346 - Wed Jun 08 2005 06:52 PM

Quote:

well, either i'm smoking grass or the tampa met is because it is my understanding of the bermuda high (pardon the pun) is that it affects atlantic storms, particularly CV long trackers, but not GOM storms....i don't believe it has much, if any, influence on gulf storms.

somebody please correct me if i'm wrong, but i believe there are other factors (like the ridge clark mentioned) which would cause this TD to move NNW, but not the BH

The Bermuda High's influence will depend on it's strength. Ivan was steered, at least in part, by the Bermuda High.

Don't mistake the upper level ridge that is forecast to develop over this system with the BH...BH is a surface feature...however, you are both correct. If you look at a current surface analysis of the Atlantic the BH is there, although much further NE than the height of the season last year. This system will track around the "edge" of the BH, but will also ride 'underneath' the ULH...does that make sense?

--------------------
Jason Kelley

Droop31
Weather Watcher

Re: 18Z Runs w/ NHC Track [Re: wxman007]
      #36347 - Wed Jun 08 2005 07:09 PM

Makes alot of sense Jason, Thanks. By the way, I recieved a DVD from a buddy that had footage from your station during Ivan when that tornado went right over the station. It was quite amazing seeing the clouds and debris rotating around the camera. Bet that must have been exciting. Anyways, what are your thoughts on our little depression?

Edited by Droop31 (Wed Jun 08 2005 07:11 PM)

mysticalmooons
Weather Watcher

Reged: Tue
Loc: rockledge, fl
NWS Posts tropical storm warning [Re: Droop31]
      #36349 - Wed Jun 08 2005 07:18 PM

Check this out. Isnt this a little too soon to post a tropical storm warning for the United States?

http://www.nws.noaa.gov/wwamap/wwatxtget.php?cwa=usa&wwa=tropical%20storm%20warning

Jamiewx
Storm Tracker

Loc: Orlando, Florida
Re: NWS Posts tropical storm warning [Re: mysticalmooons]
      #36350 - Wed Jun 08 2005 07:21 PM

That warning is for the offshore waters, not for any land areas.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 234 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 25664

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center