F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 239 (Idalia) , Major: 239 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 239 (Idalia) Major: 239 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Quiet Weekend Continues
      #37316 - Sun Jun 19 2005 12:00 PM

The normalcy of a quiet June is upon us now, which is a welcome relief. Nothing of immediate to watch. Except for perhaps the hyperactive GFS forecasting model, there really isn't much to watch.

You have to look at the usual suspect areas this time of year, which includes the western Caribbean and Gulf of Mexico. Neither of which have much right now. There is weather around the Yucatan, but nothing over water. Right now it's a stretch to consider anything for development at this time.

Edited by danielw (Sun Jun 19 2005 11:47 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: Quiet Weekend Continues [Re: MikeC]
      #37317 - Sun Jun 19 2005 02:13 PM

That line of squally weather between the Yuc and Cuba although nothing important has a weird placement that I do not recall seeing before. I also felt several times this week when I viewed the loops that the frames were in backwards with everything pushing south and east instead of North and West. I also noticed the front lines from the west being few and far between effectively rulling out any immediate formations to approach Florida. (of course I am biased against anything coming to Florida this year if for no other reason than the media hoopla) Jus' one of those weird people that like to prove the point contrary to popular opinion. Did see snails climbing my house this morning and washed them down. A few lovebugs without partners were flying around as well We are now getting dried out so it is time for the afternoon thunderbummers! Everyone else can keep those hurricanes at a distance, please..

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

LadyStorm
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: United States
Happy Father's Day [Re: MikeC]
      #37319 - Sun Jun 19 2005 02:27 PM

I know this is off topic, but I just wanted to say Happy Father's Day to all of the Dads out there. Dads are great and deserve recognition!!!!

MaryAnn

--------------------
"The significant problems we face cannot be solved at the same level of
thinking we were at when we created them"

..........Albert Einstein

stormchazer
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Central Florida
Re: Quiet Weekend Continues [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #37320 - Sun Jun 19 2005 03:10 PM

Quote:

That line of squally weather between the Yuc and Cuba although nothing important has a weird placement that I do not recall seeing before. I also felt several times this week when I viewed the loops that the frames were in backwards with everything pushing south and east instead of North and West. I also noticed the front lines from the west being few and far between effectively rulling out any immediate formations to approach Florida. (of course I am biased against anything coming to Florida this year if for no other reason than the media hoopla) Jus' one of those weird people that like to prove the point contrary to popular opinion. Did see snails climbing my house this morning and washed them down. A few lovebugs without partners were flying around as well We are now getting dried out so it is time for the afternoon thunderbummers! Everyone else can keep those hurricanes at a distance, please..

I could not agree more. I like things like electric, A/C, hot showers and the carport roof aver my head, not strewn across the lawn.

--------------------
Jara

ticka1
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Southeast Texas
      #37322 - Sun Jun 19 2005 03:43 PM

Quote:

I noticed the South and east direction too instead of north and west. What is causing this weather pattern?

--------------------
Join www.wildonweather.com/forum Message Board

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: Quiet Weekend Continues [Re: ticka1]
      #37323 - Sun Jun 19 2005 04:14 PM

noticed the South and east direction too instead of north and west. What is causing this weather pattern?

I have two guess, one it is a transitional pattern that amateurs would not have even noticed if we had not already had one tropical storm form. 2nd guess is that the earthquakes, Tsunamis, Bombing in Iraq, and environmental shifts that occur normally over the centuries. The media did say that the earth was somehow moved slightly by the tremendous earthquake. But again, the most likely answer is the transitional pattern that occurs this time of year to create the easterly flow.

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

Benjamin
Unregistered

#37324 - Sun Jun 19 2005 05:09 PM

Has anyone noticed the swirl in the clouds, resembling a circulation, just off the coast of Merida, Mexico i.e. along 90 west just off the Yucatan? Thunderstorm activicity is limited with this feature, however this is the exact area where the GFS indicates future development.

MapMaster
Unregistered

Re: Eating crow [Re: Benjamin]
      #37325 - Sun Jun 19 2005 05:30 PM

At least a little re: system that might become Bret that fizzled east of Bermuda. At least I only said it was a candidate to become Bret!! No sure things in the tropics, especially this time of year.

Yes, the convection east fo the Yucatan is impressive, but, so far, not organized.

MM

LI Phil
User

Reged:
Loc: Long Island (40.7N 73.6W)
Re: Happy Father's Day [Re: LadyStorm]
      #37326 - Sun Jun 19 2005 05:34 PM

Quote:

I know this is off topic, but I just wanted to say Happy Father's Day to all of the Dads out there. Dads are great and deserve recognition!!!!

MaryAnn

Absolutely OFF TOPIC...and guess what...

I'm glad somebody posted it...

HAPPY FATHER'S DAY to all the dads, granddads & sons...

ima have a catch with my dad today (and yes it's "have a catch" not "play catch")...and hopefully, watch "Field of Dreams" with him...

i'm outta here for a while...father's day ya know...gonna cook some steaks, watch the US Open, and have a catch...

all ya'll have a GREAT DAY!

--------------------
2005 Forecast: 14/7/4

BUCKLE UP!

"If your topic ain't tropic, your post will be toast"

Lysis
User

Reged:
Loc: Hong Kong
Re: Happy Father's Day [Re: LI Phil]
      #37329 - Sun Jun 19 2005 06:17 PM

Happy Fathers Day.

--------------------
cheers

Edited by Lysis (Sun Jun 19 2005 06:19 PM)

Lucasnfl
Unregistered

Re: Quiet Weekend Continues [Re: Benjamin]
      #37330 - Sun Jun 19 2005 08:24 PM

I've noticed it, just nw of Yucatan.

ticka1
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Southeast Texas
Re: Quiet Weekend Continues [Re: Lucasnfl]
      #37333 - Sun Jun 19 2005 10:02 PM

Happy Father's Day to all the dads here at Flhurricane. Hope you had a great day!

Ticka1

--------------------
Join www.wildonweather.com/forum Message Board

Storm Cooper
User

Reged:
Loc: Panama City , FL
      #37334 - Sun Jun 19 2005 10:22 PM

Thank You Mary Ann, LI Phil, Lysis, ticka 1 and everyone else for your Fathers Day wishes! I hope it has been a great day for all...and for some, it still is

--------------------
Hurricane Season 2017 13/7/1

rmbjoe1954
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Port Saint Lucie, Florida, USA
      #37335 - Sun Jun 19 2005 10:45 PM

I guess all that disruption will sooner or later feed into Florida.

--------------------
________2023 Forecast: 20/10/5________

There is little chance that meteorologists can solve the mysteries of weather until they gain an understanding of the mutual attraction of rain and weekends. ~Arnot Sheppard

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
      #37338 - Mon Jun 20 2005 12:06 AM

Quote:

That line of squally weather between the Yuc and Cuba although nothing important has a weird placement that I do not recall seeing before. I also felt several times this week when I viewed the loops that the frames were in backwards with everything pushing south and east instead of North and West...

The weird circulation pattern that you have been seeing this week is due, in part, to a stalled front along the Northern Gulf Coast and a rather large High pressure area over Lower Mexico.
The high is giving a "backwards" movement to the Yucatan Channel area, and at this point 'semi-blocking' anything from moving further north into the GOM.
Several of the models have hinted at an area of rain forming in the Yucatan Peninsula area this week and moving NE toward the W and SW FL coast.
The high pressure will have to break down a little more to allow this. I'm not sure how or if the front/ trough lying across the Northern GOM will play a part in anything that might develop.
Models I saw earlier were just indicating a persistant area of thunderstorms moving toward the NE from Cozumel, MX.

Current imagery from LSU satellites indicates the -24C line extends from Veracruz, MX to the Ft Myers area to the Melbourne area. Areas North of this line are not likely to have thunderstorm formation, due to the dry air in place. ( S.A. Hsu & Melvin F Martin,Jr)
http://antares.csi.lsu.edu/AOI/AOI0_wv_loop.html

Storm Cooper
User

Reged:
Loc: Panama City , FL
Re: Quiet Weekend Continues [Re: danielw]
      #37339 - Mon Jun 20 2005 12:27 AM

Just to add a little to your post, from the Tally AFD...

SHORT TERM...TONIGHT THROUGH TUESDAY.
SURFACE RIDGE BUILDS IN ON MONDAY...AS THE UPPER TROUGH SETTLES OVER
THE SE U.S. MAIN LIFT & ENERGY WILL BE JUST EAST OF THE CWA...WILL
NE SURFACE FLOW WILL KEEP PRECIP WATER VALUES & INSTABILITY REMAIN
BELOW NORMAL. EXPECTING SOME SEA BREEZE FORMATION OVER N FL...BUT
CONVECTION WILL BE LIMITED WITH PREVIOUSLY MENTIONED FACTORS.
OF COURSE SOME UNCERTAINTY IN THE MODELS...ESPECIALLY THE GFS INTO
EARLY THIS WEEK WITH A POSSIBLE LOW OR TROPICAL LOW. TEMPS WILL BE
AROUND NORMAL.

--------------------
Hurricane Season 2017 13/7/1

Heather
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Sebring, FL
Re: Happy Father's Day [Re: LadyStorm]
      #37340 - Mon Jun 20 2005 01:01 AM

Another veer off topic, wanted to wish you guys a Happy Father's Day, too. Hope you all had a great day! Dad's are the best!!

--------------------
When it rains, it pours...

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
Re: Quiet Weekend Continues [Re: Storm Cooper]
      #37341 - Mon Jun 20 2005 01:03 AM

GFS is the only model to pick up on anything out there, and the cyclone phase diagrams on it show a hybrid structure becoming more extratropical as it approaches shore. I'm going to chalk it up to convective feedback or an overzealous model for now, unless something comes up in another model or in reality to suggest otherwise.

BTW, did you all know that the GFS is only the 6th best global model nowadays? The ECMWF is best, and models from Japan, UK, and Australia are all better as well. The GFS has been pretty active with developing lows this year...I wonder if they didn't change something around with the model this year. Anyway, there's nothing to worry about out there now.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re:GFS discussion [Re: Clark]
      #37342 - Mon Jun 20 2005 01:15 AM

Thanks Clark and Coop. Sure is nice to have additional commentary.
I've been looking at the various NOAA Centers and Southern FL NWS AFDs.
All of the above mentioned Centers and Offices including the TAFB (Tropical Analysis and Forecast Branch), are aware of the GFS forecasting situation in the SE GOM. All of them are calling it 'model feedback' and are tossing the GOM Low pressure development-out the window.
Most of them do mention precipitation being on the increase for the next day or so.
But theyAre Not looking for any development.

From the Hydrological Prediction Center Discussion edited~danielw
...MID LEVEL TROF/LOW FROM MID ATLC INTO GULF OF MEXICO...
FIRST OF ALL... WILL DISCOUNT THE TROPICAL SYSTEM THAT THE GFS BRINGS FROM THE YUCATAN PENINSULA TO FL. THUS FAR THERE IS NO SUPPORT FROM OTHER OPERATIONAL MDLS FOR SUCH A FEATURE. ALSO...NO MORE THAN 10-20 PERCENT OF 09Z SREF AND 00Z/06Z NCEP ENSEMBLE MEMBERS DEPICT ANY KIND OF DEFINED SFC LOW PROGRESSING NEWD OVER THE ERN GULF OF MEXICO. PLEASE CONSULT THE TPC/NHC TROPICAL WEATHER OUTLOOK FOR UPDATED INFO REGARDING CONDITIONS OVER THE NWRN CARIBBEAN/SERN GULF OF MEXICO AND VICINITY...
http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/discussions/pmdhmd.html

Edited by danielw (Mon Jun 20 2005 01:30 AM)

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc:
Re:GFS discussion [Re: danielw]
      #37345 - Mon Jun 20 2005 03:13 AM

Danny and all...take a look at this product we have here: http://moe.met.fsu.edu/confidence/images/current/wspd.movie.gif (at least for the next half-day to day or so; main website is at http://moe.met.fsu.edu/confidence/.) That is a plot of the "confidence" of the GFS and its member ensembles with regards to surface wind speeds over the next 7 days. Anywhere where you have progressively darker reds (and even black), you have much less confidence in the overall forecast because all of the members of the GFS ensemble don't agree so well on what will happen (like the end of the HPC discussion in the previous post).

Note in the 2-4 day time frame a large bulls-eye coming out of the Caribbean up into Florida, as depicted with a low-pressure system in some recent runs of the operational GFS. This shows that there is very little confidence in the forecast the operational model put out because the member ensembles can't agree on what will happen. So, needless to say, it's something to pay attention to in case it does actually come to fruition...but I wouldn't hold my breath on this one.

Thanks. Edited url for confidence link

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Edited by danielw (Mon Jun 20 2005 03:40 AM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 202 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 13254

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center