F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | >> (show all)
MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Hurricane Dennis in the Caribbean
      #38591 - Wed Jul 06 2005 10:06 PM

9:50AM Update - July 7th
Dennis has made a northwestern jog over the last few hours and now it is likely to pass slightly north of Jamaica, as the NHC forecasted. Some of the model guidance has trended to the east again, we'll watch for persistence with the trends. If this persists it will force the keys to be under a watch tomorrow.

7:45AM Update - July 7th
Hurricane Dennis is now up to 105MPH Winds as it moves toward Jamaica. It is possible for it to reach Category 3 before nearing Jamaica.

7:00AM Update - July 7th
No real changes this morning, pressures are still dropping on Dennis, and tge windspeed is up, probably up some more at the 8AM advisory.

The future track hasn't changed much, still moving it into the gulf, west of the Florida peninsula and up toward the western panhandle toward New Orleans area, very similar to Hurricane Ivan's track last year. There is still a chance of varience in the late track, but trends seem to be settling on here for now.

How Dennis affects Jamaica, whether it passes north, south, or directy over the island, is still up for grabs. Jaimaica's mountainous interaction with the storm seems to do odd things (see Ivan) so it'll be something to watch as it approaches there. People in Jamaica need to be prepared already.

Other places will still want to keep a watch through the weekend.

10:40PM Update
The Cayman Islands are now under a hurricane warning. Winds are up to 85MPH. Not much change on future track, or the certainty of it in the future. One good thing is that toward the end of the storm's path wind shear is forecast to increase, which may weaken the storm before landfall.

Additionally, another wave have come off the African coast, but for sanity's sake we won't mention that much more for a while unless something occurs. It's too early for long trackers, but you never know with this season.

8:45PM Update (Clark)
A slowing from 20mph down to 13mph, gradually over time, is more indicative of the system actually slowing down and not wobbles in the storm's path. It's reached an area where the steering currents are not as strong as they were towards the east; this motion should continue for another day or so before accelerating just slightly. However, any slowing and/or any hint of the storm becoming elongated north-south are prime indicators of a northward turn either in progress or about to occur.

Don't have time for a full update, but will leave you all with this: watch the shortwave current moving SE over central Kansas. It, coupled with the weak vortex near Dallas, are going to be the prime factors that influence Dennis to move north -- or not move north -- over the coming days. If the Kansas vortex continues to dive southward, the trough behind Cindy is going to become more amplified and likely capture Dennis before the models are predicting; the Dallas vortex may help this occur. If it begins to move towards the east, with the flow, Dennis should continue on a NW path to landfall in Louisiana. There is impetus for both scenarios to occur, but which one actually plays out remains to be seen. Right now, I would begin to believe the former rather than the latter, based off of synoptic trends and looking upstream over the northern Rockies, but there is some indication for the latter to occur as well.

The subtropical ridge is a bit weaker today than it was yesterday, though is pinched in the eastern Gulf by the remnants of Cindy's circulation. It extends to the Yucutan on its southern/southwestern extent, but only to Cedar Key, FL on the northern/northwestern side of things. These shortwaves should help keep the former in place and influence the latter; how much of this occurs will determine where the storm goes. Dennis bumping into it may play a role as well. There's still the chance of it slowing/stalling in the SE Gulf in 3-4 days, particularly if it gets caught outside of the influence of the ridge and the shortwave troughs, but I still don't consider it likely.

Do feel pretty confident, however, in saying that the GFS & UKMET are definitely on the west side of things, and the Canadian model is on the east side of things (though it is too fast). Slight ridging appears to be building over the intermountain western U.S., which would imply slight troughing along the east coast and a more northerly track for the storm, but again -- it's all about how much of an impact it has on Dennis. I can say, though, that as long as this giant upper low sits over the Pacific northwest of Hawaii, the pattern isn't going to shift greatly for awhile. Not exactly the greatest news for down the line into the season, though it'll likely weaken/break out before too long (just off of climatological factors alone).

Original Update
Dennis has now become a Hurricane, with 80MPH winds, expected to strengthen more over the next day or so as it gets closer to Jamaica. The current forecast track takes the center barely just north of Jamaica, but close enough to be felt. Folks there should prepare as if it may strike directly. Hurricane Warnings are up there.

After that, it will approach the Caymans and Cross over Cuba and likely enter the Gulf. Things are still somewhat uncertain after that, and the cone of error is large. But current model trends suggest the big Benda and Florida panhandle and points west toward New Orleans with the highest threat on Monday. However it may come close enough to the Florida Keys to cause concern there this weekend, and the cone still includes the west coast of Florida, so do not rule those out quite yet.

Bottom line is we still don't have a clear grasp of the storm 3 days out or so.

Do not focus on the line in the above maps, the storm is large and the cone of error that far out is even larger! I know those of you who had to deal with Ivan last year do not like that map.

Event Related Links

Monroe County/Florida Keys Emergency Management Bulletins

StormCarib hurricane reports from observers in the Islands - Jamaican StormCarib Reports
Caribbean Island Weather Reports
Jamaican Meteorological Service

Guantanamo Bay, Cuba Radar
Florida Keys Long Range Radar Loop

Dennis
Animated Model Plot of Dennis
Model Plot Graphic from the South Florida Water Management District of Dennis
Dennis Spaghetti Model from boatus
Weather Underground Model Plots for Dennis
Quikskat Image of Dennis

Floater Satellite (Visible) of Dennis with Storm Track Overlays

RAMSDIS high speed visible Floater of Dennis

Forecast Discussions for (Show All Locations):
Tampa. Mobile Bay,
New Orleans, Key West, Tallahassee.
Melbourne

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Rich B
British Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Gloucestershire, England, UK
Re: Hurricane Dennis in the Caribbean [Re: MikeC]
      #38593 - Wed Jul 06 2005 10:12 PM

Well it took a little longer than some of us may have expected, but Dennis is now a 80mph Hurricane, and the first of the season. The structure of the hurricane still seems to be in a state of flux, with convection now reorganising after a bit of a pause earlier. Still, it looks as if the centre will move very near to Jamaica tomorrow, and personally i think it will be at Cat 2 when it does so. Certainly something the folks there dont need, let along the potential for 12" of rain too. Certainly one that anyone in the northwest Caribbean and anywhere around the GOM needs to be closely watching!

--------------------
Rich B

SkyWarn UK

Rick on boat in Mobile
Weather Drama Guru

Reged:
Re: Hurricane Dennis in the Caribbean [Re: Rich B]
      #38602 - Wed Jul 06 2005 10:26 PM

If you look at the water vapor image, every thirty minute loop...it really shows Dennis taking form...

It'll be a category two by tomorrow......possibly a cat three

entering the warm waters of the gulf as a major hurricane...

I bet you couldn't buy insurance right now...anywhere....and the insurance companies oughta pretty much go bankrupt this year.....

my boat insurance went up 40% because of the 4 hurricanes hitting Florida...and I paid it reluctantly....

glad I did...

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: Hurricane Dennis in the Caribbean [Re: Rich B]
      #38604 - Wed Jul 06 2005 10:32 PM

Boy its hard to believe that on the NHC's present 5 day track this thing will impact the same area as Ivan.... that's unbelievable, and I would not be surprised if it does happen... this probably would even be worse than Ivan if Dennis comes in as a Cat 3.... If I was in Pensacoula I would be in shock right now.... you hope no ones gets a major but geesh I'd really hate to see these poor folks take another major hit like this.... I would think there is an outside chance that Dennis might weaking somewhat with the upwelling caused by Cindy but still a strong Cat 2 or weak Cat 3 is nothing to sneeze at...... especially in an area already devistated from Ivan fury last year.... I just hope it goes anywhere but where Ivan went.... expect of course Biloxi....

Lysis
User

Reged:
Loc: Hong Kong
Re: Hurricane Dennis in the Caribbean [Re: Frank P]
      #38605 - Wed Jul 06 2005 10:35 PM

.... Ahem, or Punta Gorda. We went to the map store to pick up my new tracking map today (waterproof and laminated...) and we drove by the massive feema trailer park set up for people who still don't have houses.

--------------------
cheers

Edited by Lysis (Wed Jul 06 2005 10:37 PM)

FlaMommy
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Tampa(Riverview), Florida
Re: Hurricane Dennis in the Caribbean [Re: Lysis]
      #38607 - Wed Jul 06 2005 10:36 PM

poor lysis....i hope it doesnt hit us....

--------------------
"Haven't thought of a witty one lately"

firestar_1
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Port Charlotte, FL, 26.98N 82....
      #38608 - Wed Jul 06 2005 10:40 PM

I don't know about you, but I am not liking the feeling I am getting about this one.....already told the girlfriend to plane on leaving the area Saturday if this thing stays close to the coast...too much trash still laying around to handle high winds well........

--------------------
Stay Aware...Stay Alert....Stay Alive.....

Southern4sure
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Land O Lakes, FL
Re: Hurricane Dennis in the Caribbean [Re: FlaMommy]
      #38609 - Wed Jul 06 2005 10:40 PM

Quote:

poor lysis....i hope it doesnt hit us....

I agree with you. I ran from Ivan, I hope I dont have to run from Dennis!

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
      #38610 - Wed Jul 06 2005 10:41 PM

my bad Lysis, Punta Gorda would be tied with Pensacola as a city that I don't want Dennis to go to... and I'll put Biloxi third on my list behind these two cities that were pummeled last year.... but at least yall don't have the bulleye painted on you at the moment... but as we all know that could change....

firestar_1
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Port Charlotte, FL, 26.98N 82....
      #38611 - Wed Jul 06 2005 10:43 PM

At least the media isn't telling everyone it is going to hit Tampa....then I would really begin to worry......

--------------------
Stay Aware...Stay Alert....Stay Alive.....

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: Hurricane Dennis in the Caribbean [Re: firestar_1]
      #38613 - Wed Jul 06 2005 10:49 PM

Looking around at my list of TV media weather pages, I am seeing a lot of wishcasting about sending the hurricane other places.

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

MapMaster
Unregistered

Re: Tampa [Re: firestar_1]
      #38614 - Wed Jul 06 2005 10:49 PM

YET...

MM

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
      #38615 - Wed Jul 06 2005 10:50 PM

Yeah, and I got two Disney World trips planned and I sure would hate to see whats left of the temporary I-10 bridge in the Pensacola Bay when I need to use it in Oct and Dec... because a Cat 3 will probably take it down like Ivan did with the original.... maybe Fl will luck out an this thing will go more west, towards Central or West La... we'll have a pretty good idea by Friday evening I would imagine

OrlandoDan
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Longwood, FL
      #38616 - Wed Jul 06 2005 10:53 PM

Judging from the latest IR Loop, this thing really exploded recently.
Everyone in the gulf should keep an eye on this. It is still pretty far out.

FlaMommy
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Tampa [Re: MapMaster]
      #38617 - Wed Jul 06 2005 10:54 PM

ok now im in tampa...i didnt really need to see that;)....jk....i sure hope we dont get hit...that would spell disaster im thinking for alot of people...like myself...but im somewhat ready if it does decide to make that choice....

--------------------

Rabbit
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Central Florida
Africa system and Dennis [Re: firestar_1]
      #38618 - Wed Jul 06 2005 10:57 PM

first, one thing: does anyone other than me think Cindy was a minimal hurricane at landfall?

someone mentioned the Africa system in teh other thread, and this is from the TWD at 2:30:

EAST ATLANTIC TROPICAL WAVE IS LOCATED IN THE VICINITY OF 30W S
OF 23N. UPPER AIR SOUNDINGS FROM DAKAR AND SAL SHOW WAVE PASSAGE
NEAR 18Z JUL 3 AND 18Z JUL 4...RESPECTIVELY...WHICH SUPPORTS A
SLOW WWD TRANSLATION OF 5-10 KT. THE WAVE PRESENTS A COMPLEX
STRUCTURE AT THE MOMENT. MET-7 VISIBLE IMAGERY SHOWS A STRONG LOW-LEVEL CIRCULATION ABOUT 200 NM SW OF THE CAPE VERDES...WHICH
IS SUPPORTED BY QUIKSCAT IMAGERY...

IR
VIS
98L by Friday probably if it holds together

Dennis is now strengthening, and the dry air to the west that was there earlier is now gone, replaced by a fully-wrapped CDO. The outflow has also become better defined in the last several hours. I expect we will see an eye begin to form before the end of the night. Anyone think it will become a Cat IV?

Is this early July or late August??

Southern4sure
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Land O Lakes, FL
Best Meteorologist in Tampa [Re: FlaMommy]
      #38619 - Wed Jul 06 2005 10:58 PM

For all you seasoned hurricane watchers in the Tampa area, Who do you rely on the most for your local hurricane info? I do not know who is more accurate since I just moved here in Jan.

Thanks in advance

Hurricane Fredrick 1979
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Mobile,Alabama
      #38620 - Wed Jul 06 2005 10:58 PM

Quote:

I don't know about you, but I am not liking the feeling I am getting about this one.....already told the girlfriend to plane on leaving the area Saturday if this thing stays close to the coast...too much trash still laying around to handle high winds well........

I got limbs to pick up from today (Cindy) but I told my wife that I was gonna wait till the big one comes and goes then pick it all up at one time.

bigpapi
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Myrtle Beach, SC
Re: Hurricane Dennis in the Caribbean [Re: OrlandoDan]
      #38621 - Wed Jul 06 2005 10:59 PM

Looking at the last visible, it's hard to tell which direction Dennis is heading. However the whole system seems to be pulling more NW now. Is that just an illusion due to a growing system??

FlaMommy
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Best Meteorologist in Tampa [Re: Southern4sure]
      #38622 - Wed Jul 06 2005 11:04 PM

hi southern ...well...to be honest with you....alot of the meteorologists here in tampa pretty much hype things up or they sugar coat everything....there have been several stations insisting that tampa is out of the running which i firmly dont believe...i honestly listen to what is being said here more so than on my local channels....just my opinion....stay safe and pray we dont get it....

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 71 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 48452

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center