F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 239 (Idalia) , Major: 239 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 239 (Idalia) Major: 239 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | >> (show all)
mojorox
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Orlando
Re: State of Emergency [Re: Colleen A.]
      #39182 - Thu Jul 07 2005 09:33 PM

Colleen, I don't understand it either....

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
iloathedennis
Unregistered

Re: Hurricane Watches up For Keys, Tropical Storm Watch For Southern Florida Dennis [Re: Unregistered User]
      #39183 - Thu Jul 07 2005 09:34 PM

Quote:

Hi! We'll be arriving in Destin Sat morning for vacation....anyone know anything about the stom and that area?

I live in Destin and it doesn't look so good right now. We're evacuating late Saturday/Early Sunday. We'll just have to wait and see.

NewWatcher
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Port Orange, FL
      #39184 - Thu Jul 07 2005 09:35 PM

Colleen i dont know either, but our local met just said that high off fla east coast
was found to be quite a bit weaker than prev. thought and should move east
bringing Dennis closer to fla

recmod
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Latest GOM setup [Re: Storm Hunter]
      #39185 - Thu Jul 07 2005 09:36 PM

Looking at this map, I see a weakness between the high's that runs right along the west coast of FL. Is this map a statement of current weather conditions or a forecast?

If the situation as presented in the map pans out, it looks like a West Coast scraper all the way to the Panhandle

--Lou

twizted sizter
Weather Guru

Reged:
      #39186 - Thu Jul 07 2005 09:36 PM

Having the high move to the east allows the chance for Dennis to move in closer to the west coast of Fl.

Southern4sure
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Land O Lakes, FL
      #39187 - Thu Jul 07 2005 09:37 PM

Quote:

So...basically what they are saying is that this will be CLOSER to the western Florida peninsula because the weak high pressure ridge is moving to the east?
I know I must sound like the stupidest person in the world, but I'm not quite sure EXACTLY whether this is GOOD or BAD for Central Florida, LOL!
Thanks for being so patient!

Collene, Im right with you. At times the met terminology really confuses me so I just keep reading and ask questions at times. I just to know plain and simple...how will Dennis effect west central florida if it brushes by etc etc etc.

Kevin
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: EC Florida
Critical Times [Re: Colleen A.]
      #39188 - Thu Jul 07 2005 09:37 PM

Unbelieveable.

Since 2004, it's as if these storms have a fetish for Florida or something. I woke up this morning and saw the NW motion, perhaps thinking that it may be a wobble. Then I saw the model runs...and became a little more concerned. Obviously, the ridge is remaining in place SOMEWHAT, but Dennis' NW motion perhaps shows a repositioning of the ridge.

The next 24 hours are CRITICAL as to what this storm is going to do. Watching intently in Florida...

kerry
Unregistered

Re: Hurricane Watches up For Keys, Tropical Storm Watch For Southern Florida Dennis [Re: iloathedennis]
      #39189 - Thu Jul 07 2005 09:38 PM

Are they suggesting evacuation? The condo we're staying at is on the bay side I think the street name is Indian something . Any info would be greatly appreciated!

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl.
Re: Latest GOM setup [Re: recmod]
      #39190 - Thu Jul 07 2005 09:39 PM

Current conditions....mostly surfacs obs.... pressure/winds/temps...etc.

Product Description:
>>Wide Area: A surface analysis for synoptic-scale systems with isobars every 4 millibars (2 millibars in the tropics) issued four times a day (0000 UTC, 0600 UTC, 1200 UTC, 1800 UTC). Analysis covers the region from 20°S to 50°N between the Greenwich Meridian westward to 160°W.

Southwest North Atlantic: A subsection of the Tropical Surface Analysis covering the region from the Equator to 40°N, 40°W to 110°W. Issued four times a day at 0000, 0600, 1200, and 1800 UTC.

Caribbean Sea: A subsection of the Tropical Surface Analysis covering the region from 5°N to 25°N, 50°W to 95°W. Issued four times a day at 0000, 0600, 1200, and 1800 UTC.

Gulf of Mexico: A subsection of the Tropical Surface Analysis covering the region from 15°N to 35°N, 75°W to 105°W. Issued four times a day at 0000, 0600, 1200, and 1800 UTC.

--------------------
www.Stormhunter7.com ***see my flight into Hurricane Ike ***
Wx Data: KFLPANAM23 / CW8771
2012== 23/10/9/5 sys/strms/hurr/majh

Edited by Storm Hunter (Thu Jul 07 2005 09:42 PM)

MissBecky
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Ft. Myers, FL
Storm Surge? [Re: recmod]
      #39191 - Thu Jul 07 2005 09:39 PM

I've been reading this forum all day with interest (despite the fact that I'm not allowed to be on the Internet while at work). Am concerned that Ft. Myers will be in the dread right front quadrant, as the storm passes by to the south and west....

I had a question regarding storm surge. I have an aunt who lives on a canal that leads out to the GOM. How far/close does Dennis have to be before she will feel storm surge effects? The only data I've been able to find regarding storm surge is for a direct hit. Thanks!

Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
      #39192 - Thu Jul 07 2005 09:39 PM

Colleen. A weaker ridge would be bad for Central Florida. A direct hit is unlikely, IMHO. However, It puts us smack dab in some really heavy rain bands along with being in the tornadic quadrant of the storm.

--------------------
Jim

twizted sizter
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: Hurricane Watches up For Keys, Tropical Storm Watch For Southern Florida Dennis [Re: iloathedennis]
      #39193 - Thu Jul 07 2005 09:39 PM

Destin is in the cone...if not a direct hit definite potential for bad weather...don't know if you're an out of stater or not but I'm sure you're there for the beach...definitly not good beach weather this weekend.

turkeyman

Reged:
Loc: Picayune, MS
      #39194 - Thu Jul 07 2005 09:41 PM

Hi there everyone. Been just reading and not posting this season. Been a storm tracker since Hurricane Betsy in '65 and always plot and listen to all the broadcasts I can. We had an old forecaster in New Orleans that used the old Marks-A-Lot and poster paper, years ago, to draw his projections of what a particular storm would do. He had some old adages that stuck in my head over the years that more times than not, prove true. One of them was to avoid forecasts of any storm that is going to enter the Gulf of Mexico.

That place has a mind of its own and right now there are few steering currents that I can see. Some small ones, but sometimes when a storm gets to Cat 4 or 5, they do what they want, anyway. I suppose about Sat morning we'll all be up and taking notice, moreso than now. I do know that there are lines at the gas pumps and Wal Mart looks like the day after Thanksgiving sale. Go figure......

Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Re: Hurricane Watches up For Keys, Tropical Storm Watch For Southern Florida Dennis [Re: twizted sizter]
      #39195 - Thu Jul 07 2005 09:43 PM

As of right now, if the forecast pans out, Destin is not a place to be this weekend. God forbid they take another hit. Who knows what section of road and buildings would be washed away this time.

If I had a trip planned for Destin this weekend, I would probably cancel tomorrow if the forecast continues without a siginifcant jog to the west.

--------------------
Jim

let\'s chill out
Unregistered

bull got the herd scared stiff [Re: Kevin]
      #39196 - Thu Jul 07 2005 09:45 PM

Once had a very wise commander that once told me:

"son, don't SOIl your shorts until you actually see the enemy".

I think a lot of you central Florida folks are on here too much, scaring yourselves and others silly and using up space that the panhandle folks are gonna need.

I'm in central florida.. I'm ready as possible for anything. You should be too.

Good luck to all along the gulf.

FlaMommy
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Tampa(Riverview), Florida
Re: bull got the herd scared stiff [Re: let\'s chill out]
      #39197 - Thu Jul 07 2005 09:48 PM

i have to totally disagree with you...i for one are on here to teach myself things and learn from professionals and the ones who are very knowledgable....its not so much as scaring ourselves but being aware and keeping up to date....

--------------------
"Haven't thought of a witty one lately"

unknown
Unregistered

#39198 - Thu Jul 07 2005 09:50 PM

Quote:

Thankyou! We need all we can get.

Rick on boat in Mobile
Weather Drama Guru

Reged:
category 5 before cuba? [Re: FlaMommy]
      #39199 - Thu Jul 07 2005 09:51 PM

possible....extremely warm waters...but most likely a strong 4...5's are rare...

probably a 5 when Dennis gets in the gulf....

recmod
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Latest Vortex Message [Re: twizted sizter]
      #39200 - Thu Jul 07 2005 09:51 PM

VORTEX DATA MESSAGE
Storm Name: Dennis (04L)
Mission Number: 04
Flight ID: AF304
Observation Number: 22
Time: 21:08:30Z
Latitude: 19°N
Longitude: 76.7°W
Minimum height at 700 mb 2726 m
Est. Surface Winds Observed: NA
Distance and bearing from center to max surface wind: NA
Maximum flight level wind: SSE (161°) @ 139 mph
Distance and bearing from center to max flight level wind: 14 mi ENE (75°)
Sea level pressure: 956 mb
Max flight level temperature outside the eye: 45°F at 10023 feet
Max flight level temperature inside the eye: 61°F at 9984 feet
Dewpoint temperature inside the eye: 52°F
Eye character: OPEN N-E
Eye shape: Circular
Eye diameter: 17 mi
Fix determined by: Penetration Radar Wind Pressure Temperature at 700 mb
Navigation / Met Accuracy: 0.05 / 1 nm
MAX FL WIND 121 KT E QUAD 21:04:50 Z

I am not completely sure how to read these things.....but, aren't surface winds usually calculated as 90% of flight level measurements??? If so, this vortex message from 5:08 pm eastern time means that the surface winds are now around 125mph????

Any input from the pros who more fully understand this data would be helpful

--Lou

Southern4sure
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Land O Lakes, FL
      #39201 - Thu Jul 07 2005 09:53 PM

Quote:

Once had a very wise commander that once told me:

"son, don't SOIl your shorts until you actually see the enemy".

I think a lot of you central Florida folks are on here too much, scaring yourselves and others silly and using up space that the panhandle folks are gonna need.

I'm in central florida.. I'm ready as possible for anything. You should be too.

Im not scared...really Im not! But if it wasnt for this site I would probably still listen to local mets and think...Tampa is all clear and will not have any impact from Dennis. I do not want to be caught off guard and then it is too late to leave if necesarry. This site is wonderful. These guys and gals know so much more than I and after years of reading and seeing systems nailed then if I read Tampa will get effected then I trust them. I dont think it is over reacting at all.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 241 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 73085

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center