F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 239 (Idalia) , Major: 239 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 239 (Idalia) Major: 239 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)
Bev
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Port Charlotte, FL and Abaco, ...
Re: Brief 8pm Update [Re: danielw]
      #39313 - Fri Jul 08 2005 12:38 AM

Quote:

<snip>
If you are in the "Cone", make sure that you are ready to leave as soon as your area is asked to leave.

There is something that has not been addressed but certainly needs to be. By all emergency management personnel and those on this board. Everyone advises evacuation. Get out of the path of the storm! Well.... exactly how to do that is really one great big unknown unless one evacuates in time to reach middle Georgia, and the orders for evacuation are never given in time for all of us in county after county to reach middle Georgia. Traffic slows to a crawl and we're all stuck on the roads in the middle of a hurricane.

Scenario: Evacuation orders are given for county after county in SW FL.
Problem: Mets have absolutely no idea where the hurricane is actually going to go until it gets there. Case in point - Charley.
Scenario: I put plywood on all my windows, pack up and head inland, 1.5 hours from the coast, where there is no evacuation order because the hurricane is not "supposed" to go there..
Scenario: I take shelter in a home where windows are not boarded because the hurricane is not expected to reach there. Hurricane decides at the last moment to head away from where it was heading and make a turn my direction. I am now vulnerable, no plywood on windows, no generator, no water, no food supplies. Cat 4 winds roar overhead, huge oaks crashed around us, the roof peeled up, windows rattled and closet doors slammed of their own accord and I wondered why I left my boarded up, generator-ready, food-filled home to end up stranded in what became a complete disaster area.

I guess my point is this.... Do NOT expect evacuation orders given by emergency management officials to keep you out of harm's way. Hurricanes just don't work like that. My advice, from having experienced the exact scenario above is to protect yourself where you are unless you have a VERY good reason for being elsewhere. i.e. You live in a mobile home.

-Bev

Edited by Moderator. Lets be careful about what we say and how we say it.

Edited by Storm Cooper (Fri Jul 08 2005 12:48 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Panama City Beach, Fl.
Recon update [Re: Unregistered User]
      #39314 - Fri Jul 08 2005 12:38 AM

AF304 heading home
AF300 be there for another 2-3hrs and
AF307 on there way...
did i mention that NOAA and NASA have one plane each out there now too

looks like the eye will be making landfall shortly on that tip on southern cuba, then it appears that Dennis will ride the cuban coast late tonight into morning, until making landfall again in mid morning farther north on the coast.

--------------------
www.Stormhunter7.com ***see my flight into Hurricane Ike ***
Wx Data: KFLPANAM23 / CW8771
2012== 23/10/9/5 sys/strms/hurr/majh

twizted sizter
Weather Guru

Reged:
Changing models [Re: Brett]
      #39316 - Fri Jul 08 2005 12:39 AM

Besides all of them..LOL... remember Jeanne as she spun in circles & everyone...except the good people here...wrote her off until the last minute...never forget Jebs face when a camera crew asked him about it.

Even as she treked across & they insisted on that turn north...while I felt the foundation of my house shake...

Terra
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kingwood, Texas
Re: Brief 8pm Update [Re: Bev]
      #39317 - Fri Jul 08 2005 12:39 AM

LA people... read my post regarding the contaflow potential disaster on the last page of the previous forum.... Seriously, I don't believe it is going to work as well as some people hope! I'm hoping we don't have to try it, but guys, if we do... be prepared and go early.

--------------------
Terra Dassau Cahill

MC Hurricane

Reged:
Loc: Newport News,VA
Mimicing Charley and Ivan [Re: MC Hurricane]
      #39319 - Fri Jul 08 2005 12:41 AM

Earlier Dennis' track was very similar to Ivan's track. The projected path looks similar to the track of Charley. Afterwards it looks like the track of Ivan again.
Hopefully it will not be as strong as Charley or Ivan at landfall.

FlaMommy
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Tampa(Riverview), Florida
      #39320 - Fri Jul 08 2005 12:42 AM

i am sure this wasnt meant to be rude...but it kinda sounds a little rude....just because some people live in mobile homes "isnt" by choice....i would love to not live in a mobile home but unfortunately im not as fortunate as others who have a strong sturdy house....so im sorry i seem to snap at that but having your head examined, because you have no choice but to live in a mobile home....sorry....

--------------------
"Haven't thought of a witty one lately"

Edited by FlaMommy (Fri Jul 08 2005 12:43 AM)

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Leaving [Re: Bev]
      #39321 - Fri Jul 08 2005 12:43 AM

Middle Georgia is probably a good place right now. Anywhere in the Interstate 20 neighborhood.
With an exception. TD Cindy wrecked parts of AL and GA. So make sure before you go.

All lodging in Hattiesburg, MS is full due to mobilization of troops. So I can save you a few phone calls here.
I'll put some more info in the Disaster Forum.

By the way...gas prices in Hattiesburg/ Laurel,MS have gone up as much as 20 cents today.

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
traffic in Florida [Re: Terra]
      #39322 - Fri Jul 08 2005 12:44 AM

looking at this link

http://www3.dot.state.fl.us/trafficinformation/

traffic is starting to pick up along the west side of florida, will be watching the panhandle and expect friday will be busy..... click the little boxes on image

gas in PCB is around $2.35 today... many stations are running out now... saw gas jump 15 cents in one hour.....thanks to cindy!

--------------------

Edited by Storm Hunter (Fri Jul 08 2005 12:47 AM)

Marco island =[
Unregistered

Re: 8 PM [Re: MC Hurricane]
      #39323 - Fri Jul 08 2005 12:44 AM

have u seen the latest images Dennis appers to be heading a little more north do u agree or have i had to many beers!

BJG
Unregistered

Re: 8 PM [Re: Marco island =[]
      #39324 - Fri Jul 08 2005 12:47 AM

I alluded to the NNW movement earlier and they pointed me to the Cuban Radar link which in my opinion has poor visibility

nl
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: nsb,fl
      #39325 - Fri Jul 08 2005 12:48 AM

i was getting ready too say it too i notice and ive been watching for at least 50 minutes. look out miami!

Bev
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Port Charlotte, FL and Abaco, ...
Mobile Homes... [Re: FlaMommy]
      #39327 - Fri Jul 08 2005 12:50 AM

Quote:

i am sure this wasnt meant to be rude...but it kinda sounds a little rude....just because some people live in mobile homes "isnt" by choice....i would love to not live in a mobile home but unfortunately im not as fortunate as others who have a strong sturdy house....so im sorry i seem to snap at that but having your head examined, because you have no choice but to live in a mobile home....sorry....

My apologies, no offense meant. I just would not try to ride out any category hurricane in a mobile home, so I certainly wouldn't recommend it to anyone else.

The fact that mobile homes are still allowed in Florida just boggles my mind. If they weren't allowed, then you would not be forced to live in one. Smaller, less expensive, but well-built homes are a much better and affordable alternative.

Even the brand new, so-called "hurricane-proof" mobile homes were ripped to shreds during Charley. I still have photos I took myself. Even the rambling shacks of old homes fared much better than the spanking new mobile homes. It was heart-rending to see.

Best Regards,
Bev

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Repeat of Watches and Warnings [Re: Marco island =[]
      #39328 - Fri Jul 08 2005 12:50 AM

HURRICANE Dennis INTERMEDIATE ADVISORY NUMBER 13A
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL
8 PM EDT THU JUL 07 2005 Edited
http://www.srh.noaa.gov/data/NHC/TCPAT4.0507072338

A HURRICANE WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR THE LOWER FLORIDA KEYS FROM THE
SEVEN MILE BRIDGE WESTWARD TO THE DRY TORTUGAS...AND A TROPICAL
STORM WARNING IS IN EFFECT FOR THE REMAINDER OF THE FLORIDA
KEYS...EAST OF THE SEVEN MILE BRIDGE TO OCEAN REEF AND FLORIDA BAY.
A HURRICANE WATCH REMAINS IN EFFECT FOR THE FLORIDA KEYS EAST OF
THE SEVEN MILE BRIDGE TO OCEAN REEF AND FLORIDA BAY

A HURRICANE OR TROPICAL STORM WARNING MEANS THAT HURRICANE OR
TROPICAL STORM CONDITIONS...RESPECTIVELY...ARE EXPECTED WITHIN THE
WARNING AREA WITHIN THE NEXT 24 HOURS. PREPARATIONS TO PROTECT LIFE
AND PROPERTY SHOULD BE RUSHED TO COMPLETION IN THE HURRICANE
WARNING AREA.

A TROPICAL STORM WATCH IS IN EFFECT FOR ALL OF THE SOUTHERN FLORIDA
PENINSULA FROM GOLDEN BEACH SOUTHWARD ON THE EAST COAST AND SOUTH
OF BONITA BEACH ON THE WEST COAST. WATCHES AND WARNINGS ALONG BOTH
THE EAST AND WEST COASTS OF FLORIDA WILL LIKELY BE EXTENDED
NORTHWARD LATER THIS EVENING.

Terra
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kingwood, Texas
Re: 8 PM [Re: nl]
      #39329 - Fri Jul 08 2005 12:50 AM

Quote:

i was getting ready too say it too i notice and ive been watching for at least 50 minutes. look out miami!

Which radar are you looking at? The ones on the NHC page are updated every 30 minutes, so you may only be seeing one or two points... Could be a jog, could be real, give it a few hours and then you can tell.

--------------------
Terra Dassau Cahill

Marco Island =[
Unregistered

Re: 8 PM [Re: BJG]
      #39330 - Fri Jul 08 2005 12:51 AM

Yea the cuban radar isnt showing much info at the minute i got a bad feeling about this one im just glad i dont live on the water theres gonna be a nasty storm surge 6 ft+ i reckon.

BJG
Unregistered

Re: 8 PM [Re: Marco Island =[]
      #39331 - Fri Jul 08 2005 12:53 AM

I would opine that the movement appears to me, to be moving somewhat move northward than earlier...pursuant to the last 2-3 hours of film

RedingtonBeachGuy

Reged:
Loc: St. Cloud, FL
      #39332 - Fri Jul 08 2005 12:55 AM

"My advice, from having experienced the exact scenario above is to protect yourself where you are unless you have a VERY good reason for being elsewhere. i.e. You live in a mobile home. "

I TOTALLY disagree with this advice. I have been thru a ton of cains since the 60's down here in Florida and I can tell everyone that it is ALWAYS better to evacuate A and B zones than to ride it out. In one cain in the 60's, we were told to evacuate and didn't.. it was just a Cat 3 we said. We sat thru the winds but didn't expect 15' high walls of water to come cascading down on us 1/2 mile from the Gulf of Mexico. Eventually we were under 9 feet of water on the island.

My point is, while some say they have riden storms out, they have been LUCKY. Don't risk your life - follow emergency management's decision for your area. and zone.

MC Hurricane

Reged:
Loc: Newport News,VA
      #39333 - Fri Jul 08 2005 12:56 AM

Quote:

have u seen the latest images Dennis appers to be heading a little more north do u agree or have i had to many beers!

No. Dennis does look like it is heading north.

Hurricane Fredrick 1979
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Mobile,Alabama
Re: 8 PM [Re: BJG]
      #39334 - Fri Jul 08 2005 12:56 AM

Does anyone know why the NHC ftp model site has not updated Dennis since the 06Z run? I been waiting all day on the model runs but it is still showing the 06Z runs.

Storm Hunter
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: 8 PM [Re: Marco Island =[]
      #39335 - Fri Jul 08 2005 12:58 AM

West-Bound Counter 0156 on I-10 in ESCAMBIA County, near ALABAMA LINE

is showing many vehicles heading west and already beating Historical Average!!!!

west bound on 1-10 right now is over 1100 VPH (Vehicles Per Hour)....

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 179 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 41035

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center