F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 237 (Idalia) , Major: 237 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 237 (Idalia) Major: 237 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)
AgentB
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Winter Park, FL
Re: Brief 8pm Update [Re: Lysis]
      #39357 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:10 AM

Still looks NW to me at a pretty decent rate of speed.

While a weakening of the high should allow Dennis to make a "turn". He won't exactly turn on his axis and head due north. It will still take a while for the westward component to cease.

--------------------
Check the Surf

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Re: modles [Re: twizted sizter]
      #39358 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:13 AM

Yeah, I don't know what Pensacola did to piss off the weather gods, but boy, I sure hope we don't do the same thing in Biloxi... this will be incredible if Pensacola takes another direct hit from a major.... models are pretty tight too, but you can still expect some minor shifts back and forth over the next two days... they might not be much but anything that puts you on the west side of this storm would be a good shift indeed.... a small wobble 100+ miles off the coast could have a dramatic effect on the exact landfall point... and whether or not you are in the dreaded eye wall... Believe me, YOU DON'T WANT TO BE IN THE EYE WALL OF A MAJOR STORM... period... all eyes will be looking really hard south in the gulf this weekend... I'll finish all my preps tomorrow... and not planning to evacuate at this time....

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
Re: modles [Re: Unregistered User]
      #39360 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:15 AM

Quote:

Any one think marco has a chance of being hit, my grandma is getting worried and is on about evacu??? i wanna stay and wacth it from the beach=]

Terra beat me to it. Do Not watch the hurricane from the beach. Your Grandma has been through more severe weather than you. So do as she wants.
She didn't get to be Grandma by watching Hurricanes from the Beach.

Last year Dr Steve Lyons, of The Weather Channel, blasted several reporters for staying outside during a "Landfalling Hurricane". You can't see what is coming at you!!

pcola
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: pensacola/gulf breeze
Re: Brief 8pm Update [Re: AgentB]
      #39361 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:15 AM

Why the sudden shift to the west on the models.??? I was excited about the eastward trend for us, but now most come right towards the western panhandle.

--------------------
Erin 95 , Opal 95, Ivan 04, Dennis 05, and that's enough!!!!

BJG
Unregistered

Re: Brief 8pm Update [Re: pcola]
      #39362 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:17 AM

I guess the models know best... my eyes must have been playing tricks on me, and few others according to their posts

wxman007
Meteorologist

Reged:
Loc: Tuscaloosa, AL
      #39363 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:18 AM

Quote:

Why the sudden shift to the west on the models.??? I was excited about the eastward trend for us, but now most come right towards the western panhandle.

These runs don't have new upper-air obs in them, other than the regular obs...there was no new dropsonde data in these runs...so remember that....

--------------------
Jason Kelley

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Brief 8pm Update [Re: wxman007]
      #39364 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:19 AM

Quote:

Quote:

These runs don't have new upper-air obs in them, other than the regular obs...there was no new dropsonde data in these runs...so remember that....

The next set of runs will be much more interesting. This set was pretty blah because of some of the lack of data.

KC
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Naples, FL
Re: Marco [Re: Unregistered User]
      #39365 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:19 AM

Quote:

Any one think marco has a chance of being hit, my grandma is getting worried and is on about evacu??? i wanna stay and wacth it from the beach=]

Marco - watch the local governemnt channel tomorrow morning at 8:30 am - the county commissioners are having their emergency meeting with emergency management and you can find out what their plans are for evacuations. I don't think they will encourage anyone to watch the storm from the beach. Be careful!

Karen
Naples

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
Present company excluded [Re: danielw]
      #39367 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:19 AM

Danny boy, I watch hurricanes from the beach in Biloxi all the time... of course I would NEVER recommend it for anyone else.... and I'm 20 feet above sea level... and I'm insane...

Marco island =[
Unregistered

Re: modles [Re: danielw]
      #39368 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:19 AM

Sure i wont watch it from the beach if is coming directly at us {wich i doubt} but if its say 100+ miles offshore wouldent that be safe?

GulfBreeze_FL
Unregistered

Re: OH NO -- Cantore go somewhere else [Re: pcola]
      #39369 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:20 AM

Quote:

As a Pensacola resident, I can say nothing is so frightening as seeing Jim Cantore from the weather channel on Pensacola Beach....he is here again!

This made me sick to see Cantore on Pcola Beach. Pcola beach will be absolutely destroyed if we take a direct hit, because there is still so much debris and demolished structures that have not yet been removed and the existing structures will be pelted and reamed by all the flying material.

Right next door to my house is a new house being built. All i can say is the builder better pick up all loose wood, etc. or i will be advertising on the PensacolaNewsJournal.com website message board the presence of free plywood to get it moved out of here.

Cantore, go elsewhere !!!!

Terra
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kingwood, Texas
Re: modles [Re: Marco island =[]
      #39370 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:21 AM

Quote:

Sure i wont watch it from the beach if is coming directly at us {wich i doubt} but if its say 100+ miles offshore wouldent that be safe?

What exactly do you expect to see at 100+ miles offshore?

--------------------
Terra Dassau Cahill

BJG
Unregistered

Re: Brief 8pm Update [Re: MikeC]
      #39371 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:21 AM

Do you guys see movement more toward the north?

WeatherNLUAway
Unregistered

North? [Re: GulfBreeze_FL]
      #39372 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:22 AM

Uh, north? I don't think so. Dennis has been moving pretty consistently NW overall with the occasional jut north followed by one to the west. If anything, in the last six hours, he's been trending more west than north after a nine hour period in which he trended more north than west. Add it all up, and it's a pretty solid NW heading.

pcola
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: OH NO -- Cantore go somewhere else [Re: GulfBreeze_FL]
      #39373 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:22 AM

GulfBreeze...my wife thinks Jim has a girlfriend on the beach..thats why he is always here

--------------------

Marco island =[
Unregistered

Re: modles [Re: Terra]
      #39374 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:23 AM

Er isnt this cane 200 miles across?

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
      #39375 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:23 AM

Quote:

"Excited"?
I don't know about 'excited' about the models pointing at me. Or anyone else here.

Probably the most agreement of the models since last night. Tight cluster. Around Jim Cantore's area-Pensacola...right now.
UKMET is the western outlier.
I noticed the Xtrapolated line moved west from Bayou La Batre,AL to Main Pass,LA.

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Kissimmee, Florida on Lake Toh...
Re: Brief 8pm Update [Re: MikeC]
      #39377 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:24 AM

Agree on the BLAH !!

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

rjp
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Loc: Charleston, SC
Re: modles [Re: Marco island =[]
      #39378 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:25 AM

Quote:

Er isnt this cane 200 miles across?

Seeing posts from people like this makes me think things should be restricted to registered members until things calm down. lol

pcola
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: Brief 8pm Update [Re: danielw]
      #39379 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:25 AM

Excited in the sense I will not loose my home for the 2nd time in 10 months. Never would wish this on anyone..except alqueda>

--------------------

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 73 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 40974

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center