F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

General Discussion >> Hurricane Ask/Tell

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)
Ed G
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Thu
Loc: Clermont, Fl
Hurricane Panel Mounting Hardware
      #39676 - Fri Jul 08 2005 07:19 AM

and the good moderators moved it to the "anything and nothing" board and I never did get an answer.

Given that we are now in the midst of the hurricane season 2005, I think it is an appropriate question.

I sure would appreciate any help or suggestions......

Day before Christmas I made the plunge and ordered .050 corrugated aluminum hurricane panels to cover each window in my house.

(Luckily I bought them back then - they are now up to as much as $8.00/sq ft. I paid $2.60/sq. ft)

Now my concern/questions is mounting hardware.

Due to extruding concrete sills at the bottom of the window openings (concrete block construction), I will be mounitng the panels horizontally and directly to the concrete block.

Does anyone have any idea if female panelmate anchors will be ok? I have no idea if the block cells around my windows are filled or not. House is three years old (Lake County). The panelmate may end up imbedded in concrete about 3/4 inch before punching into a possibly open cell.

I do not want the male panelmates do to possibility of injury from the threads protruding from the block - besides it looks ugly.

If I do puch into an open cell would adding epoxy into the hole suffice?

I have also heard about using "caulk-ins". Any idea if these are adequate?

Anyone have any leads on places that sell the panelmates and sidewalk bolts at a decent discount?

Thanks in advance
Ed G
Clermont, Fl

Edited by MikeC (Sat Jul 09 2005 07:20 AM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Barry Vaught

Loc: Florida
Re: I first made this post back in December 2004..... [Re: Ed G]
      #39703 - Fri Jul 08 2005 08:33 AM

Hi Ed

The cmu cells around your windows and doors are probably poured solid with concrete, which is required by the Standard Building Code. Sometimes something may block them from filling up, however that is not very common in newer homes.
Most everyone uses" tapcon" screws/bolts to secure anything to concrete blocks and /or concrete.They are usually blue in color. You have to use the right size masonry drill bit for them to be secure. A vibrating drill will make the drilling much easier.
I am unfamiliar with your panels, and they may have different type of fasteners, which are designed to be left in the block for the next use of the panels.
Good luck with your project, and e-mail me if you have any questions.
Barry VaughtEnterprise@aol.com

SkeetoBiteAdministrator
Master of Maps

Reged: Sun
Loc: Lakeland, FL
Re: I first made this post back in December 2004..... [Re: Barry Vaught]
      #39753 - Fri Jul 08 2005 09:35 AM

Ed,

Home Deopt has a good product similar to the PanelMate product. Their version is permenant, but you can replace the screw after removing your panels to leave a flush and paintable surface. This also secures the opening in the side of your house.

If you re-use tapcons, the hole in your concrete has the real possibility of getting bigger with each use. After a few uses you may need to use larger and larger tapcons.

I notice that the Florida Home Depot stores have set aside an area specifically for hurricane prep. Ask your local sales associate where these products are found in their store.

Ed G
Weather Hobbyist

Re: I first made this post back in December 2004..... [Re: SkeetoBite]
      #39827 - Fri Jul 08 2005 10:53 AM

Thanks! I'm a huge fan of your maps.

Yup, tapcons are out of the question. they are great for one-time use.

msmith43
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Wed
Loc: South Tampa
Re: I first made this post back in December 2004..... [Re: SkeetoBite]
      #39842 - Fri Jul 08 2005 11:21 AM

The home improvement stores also offer a new fastener called "Plylox." These "clips" attach plywood sheets to window frames without screws, Tapcons, etc. and can be reused.

http://www.plylox.com/

TAZMAN
Weather Watcher

Reged: Fri
Plylox [Re: msmith43]
      #39847 - Fri Jul 08 2005 11:24 AM

scratches the absolute crap out of the window recesses !!!!!!!!

Ed G
Weather Hobbyist

Re: Plylox [Re: TAZMAN]
      #39862 - Fri Jul 08 2005 11:43 AM

plylox are ok for plywood or other panel material (1/2 thick) that is to be secured inside the concrete opening.

Many folks actually recommend barrel locks instead of plylox for plywood. Just as pricey too.

Plylox will not work with anything that extends past the opening.

But thanx for the response!

e

msmith43
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Wed
Loc: South Tampa
Re: Plylox [Re: Ed G]
      #39867 - Fri Jul 08 2005 11:47 AM

There's not perfect solution for sure. However, I'm considering "FabricShield" from Wayne-Dalton Corporation that meets Florida protection codes (except Miami-Dade) since I can't afford new impact-resistant windows and tired of the plywood routine.

Ed G
Weather Hobbyist

#39871 - Fri Jul 08 2005 11:51 AM

Hey Tazman,

whereabouts in Clermont do you live?

I'm near Laskeshore & Oswalt.

I ski Lake Louisa every weekend. Black Moomba Outback

Ed G
Clermont

Ed G
Weather Hobbyist

Re: Plylox [Re: msmith43]
      #39882 - Fri Jul 08 2005 11:59 AM

I've done some pretty extensive research on window protection before deciding on the aluminum panels. I highly recommend the panels due to price, ease of installation (once hardware is installed) and very easy to store.

The one draw back of the fabric shield is that If an object strikes it with enough force, the fabric shield will deflect enough so the object will still break your windows. It also costs much more than the aluminum or steel panels.

Lowes carries the panels and various mounting hardware, but I highly recommend getting thru your local contractor supplier.

I got my panels from ASI in Orlando.

Of course the very best window protection is whatever you get and install.

TAZMAN
Weather Watcher

#39888 - Fri Jul 08 2005 12:08 PM

ED.... I am east on 50 close to the new Publix @ 535.... south down Hartle rd by the lakes. Freinds of ours just bought a house on Oswalt

I have been doing some good research myself as I too would like to make a nice clean install !!! (with something -- I havent purchased anything yet) Boarded last year but spent most of the time (times) on the porch or in a neighbors garage watching and shooting film.

TAZMAN
Weather Watcher

#39889 - Fri Jul 08 2005 12:09 PM

whats black moomba outback ???

Ed G
Weather Hobbyist

#39905 - Fri Jul 08 2005 12:29 PM

Moomba Outback is an inboard engine competition ski boat.

Sorry - sometimes I believe everyone in Clermont is into waterskiing.

I live in the Hills of Lake Louisa subdivision which the entrance is off of Oswalt. Our subdivision has it's own boat ramp and dock on Lake Louisa.

I have just came back from lunch where I was given a demonstration of installing Caulk-ins by one of our maintenance guys. That's the way I'm going. Once installed (with a special drill bit and setting tool) the truss bolts can be painted to match your house.

TAZMAN
Weather Watcher

#39955 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:21 PM

I wish I was into water skiing!!!!n Actually I am, just need the boat, or A boat !! Post some pics of your install--- I would love to see what youve done. Do you have a contact at the ASI ?? I also found them thru my searches but did not go any further. I have been watching Ebay and there are quite a few of the panel type up there.

TAZMAN
Weather Watcher

#39960 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:28 PM

Quote:

I live in the Hills of Lake Louisa subdivision which the entrance is off of Oswalt. Our subdivision has it's own boat ramp and dock on Lake Louisa.

I think I know where that is.... you definetly get some wind off the lake dont you??? Those are some beautiful homes back in there !

Ed G
Weather Hobbyist

#39978 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:48 PM

Actually we get the wind due to the elevation of the house. Pretty windy up there. We look down on the lake and am pretty much level with the roof top of the club house at Kings Ridge (I can see that when I'm on our roof). I believe my house is at a whopping 80 feet above sea level.

We made sure to put a screen door on the front and screen room at rear of the house, breezy enough on hot evenings to turn off the a/c.

On the down side (due to the elevation), we also had horizontal rain entering the roof vents and soaking the interior ceilings of our house during every hurricane last year.

I made wooden plugs for the vents (out of 2x4's) for this year.

Thanks for the conversation. This board has been much more civilized than all the people flaming and freaking each other out on the other!

Have a safe weekend.

Ed

TAZMAN
Weather Watcher

#39987 - Fri Jul 08 2005 01:57 PM

You too... thanks!

Ed DunhamAdministrator
Former Meteorologist & CFHC Forum Moderator (Ed Passed Away on May 14, 2017)

Reged: Sun
Loc: Melbourne, FL
      #40142 - Fri Jul 08 2005 06:53 PM

This entire thread will be moved back to the E&N Forum - where it belongs. Go back and read the Storm Forum description and you'll realize that it does not belong here.

Ed Dunham
CFHC Administrator

Ed G
Weather Hobbyist

sorry Ed, but.... [Re: Ed Dunham]
      #40553 - Sat Jul 09 2005 06:23 AM

this thread belonged where it would be seen and receive responses.

who the hell is going to read "everything and nothing" while a hurricane is approaching?

During times of a perceived crisis, when info and immediate action may be required, I don't give a damn about your storm forum description and I'll consciencely tramp on anyone getting in my way.

By ignoring your rules, I received the answers I needed and perhaps someone else will benefit too.

Prospero
Storm Tracker

Loc: Gulfport, FL
The bands play on... [Re: Ed G]
      #40557 - Sat Jul 09 2005 06:33 AM

Sun City Center, Florida:

I woke up and looked at the radar to see I had about two minutes to get out and pick up my newspaper and have a quick smoke.

I see the storm has weakened, and that is GREAT! Also that we are more than likely out of the line of fire, that is GREAT too!

But, we don't need a direct hit to watch the trees dance crazy and see the rain blow horizontal. We are in for a storm, weak or not, and today will be one to go down in history.

Oooo Weeee! It is coming down out there, and a blowin' too!

--------------------
Gulfport Florida Webcam - Gulfport Florida Weather Station - Clearwater Beach Cams

Pages: 1 | 2 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 10 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  CFHC, Ed Dunham, Colleen A., danielw, Clark, RedingtonBeachGuy, Bloodstar, tpratch, typhoon_tip, cieldumort 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 27559

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center