F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)
KC
Weather Hobbyist

Reged: Sun
Loc: Naples, FL
Re: New category for hurricanes.... [Re: MissBecky]
      #40035 - Fri Jul 08 2005 03:24 PM

Quote:

It just started *pouring* here. Very breezy, too.

We've been experiencing some interesting weather in Naples since about 2pm - brief torrential downpours, thunder and winds to 28mph.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Katie
Weather Guru

Reged: Tue
Loc: Winter Haven, FL
Re: New category for hurricanes.... [Re: Lysis]
      #40036 - Fri Jul 08 2005 03:24 PM

For the person who asked about FDOT -

http://www.dot.state.fl.us/

D3m3NT3DVoRT3X
Weather Watcher

Reged: Thu
Loc: The Burg < FL
Re: followed coastline before landfall...notice? [Re: Liz]
      #40037 - Fri Jul 08 2005 03:26 PM

anyone have any guesses if @ the 5pm there will be more of an eastward shift in the track ? it seems to be a lil off of the NHC track ... :?:

Hurricane Drew

Reged: Fri
Re: Rain, rain go away [Re: Katie]
      #40038 - Fri Jul 08 2005 03:26 PM

Sounds like we are going to have a nasty TStorm here, but that isn't Hurricane related...

I was surprised how little Lightning there was during the hurricanes we went through last year... Maybe it was muffled by the shingles coming off and slaming against the house...

jr928
Weather Guru

Re: making landfall soon [Re: Clark]
      #40039 - Fri Jul 08 2005 03:28 PM

why is joe b from Accuweather always so doomsday. he' s been predicting new orleans catastrophe everytime one enters the gulf.

Jeffmidtown
Weather Guru

Reged: Wed
Loc: Atlanta, Ga
Re: New category for hurricanes.... [Re: Katie]
      #40040 - Fri Jul 08 2005 03:29 PM

Thanks for the information...

According to the traffic count, it looks like that 75 north is starting to pick-up pretty good around Valdosta so it looks like that may be one of the evac routes of choice.

Also TWC reported winds of 149mph near Cienfuegos as well as damage reports saying that there has been significant damage to the telecommunications infrastructure on the island of Cuba.

--------------------
You know it's a bad day.....when you wake up and see Jim Cantore and Geraldo Rivera broadcasting from your backyard....literally!

Lysis
User

Loc: Hong Kong
Re: Rain, rain go away [Re: Hurricane Drew]
      #40041 - Fri Jul 08 2005 03:30 PM

Genneraly, hurricanes don't contain lightning, however it has been observed on rare occasions (I think with the inclusion of dry air, or going over a mountian or something like that).

--------------------
cheers

nandav
Weather Watcher

Loc: Pt. Charlotte, FL
Re: followed coastline before landfall...notice? [Re: Lysis]
      #40042 - Fri Jul 08 2005 03:31 PM

Thanks for the reminder! Looks like what I saw out our back door! Where was that taken?

Jamiewx
Storm Tracker

Loc: Orlando, Florida
NWS MLB AFD [Re: jr928]
      #40043 - Fri Jul 08 2005 03:32 PM

"SAT...POWERFUL HURRICANE Dennis WILL BE MOVING ACROSS THE EAST GULF. LATEST TRACK KEEPS TROPICAL STORM FORCE WINDS WEST OF THE AREA. HAVE CONSIDERED ISSUING A WIND ADVISORY AS SUSTAINED WINDS ARE LIKELY TO BE 25-30 MPH...BUT WILL HOLD OFF FOR AT LEAST ONE MORE ADVISORY FROM THE HURRICANE CENTER.

MAIN ISSUE HOWEVER MIGHT TURN OUT TO BE THE CONVECTIVE BANDS ASSOCIATED WITH THE HURRICANE WHICH WILL BE ROTATING ACROSS THE AREA AND BRING THE POTENTIAL FOR WIND GUSTS EXCEEDING TROPICAL STORM FORCE. THE BANDS SHOULD START IN SOUTHERN SECTIONS BY EARLY MORNING AND LIFT TO NORTHERN SECTIONS BY AFTERNOON. WITH STRONG LOW LEVEL SHEAR...THERE IS ALSO A THREAT FOR DAMAGING TORNADOES.

HURRICANE HAS BEEN MOVING NEAR 15 MPH AND IS FORECAST TO MAINTAIN A NEARLY STEADY SPEED. THIS SHOULD LIMIT THE OVERALL RAINFALL AMOUNTS. LOCALLY HEAVY TOTALS OF 3-4 INCHES WILL BE POSSIBLE...WITH THE HEAVIEST AMOUNTS LIKELY NEAREST TO THE CORE OF THE HURRICANE...OVER WESTERN SECTIONS. OF COURSE COASTAL CONVERGENCE EFFECTS COULD LEAD TO AN INTENSE RAINBAND FURTHER EAST TOO. FLASH FLOOD AMOUNTS ARE GENERALLY 3 INCHES FOR ONE HOUR AND 4-5 INCHES FOR
6 HOURS. THEREFORE HAVE OPTED TO NOT ISSUE FLOOD WATCH."

poetdi
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Maitland, FL
Re: New category for hurricanes.... [Re: tornado00]
      #40044 - Fri Jul 08 2005 03:38 PM

Quote:

Poetdi, what part of Maitland do you live in? We're probably right under each others noses.

We're in Dommerich Estates - Charley went right over us last year - albeit in a weakened state. No power for 5 days. So many trees came down.

I know that many folks have had it so much worse than us, since we are so far inland. We are not happy about any storm but are glad this one appears to be staying away from us.

Diane

Colleen A.

Reged: Sat
Loc: Florida
Re: making landfall soon [Re: WeatherNLU]
      #40045 - Fri Jul 08 2005 03:39 PM

Well, then, Shawn...I guess you should read Clark's latest met blog because he says almost exactly what I said and you discounted that.
I may not be a met, but I do have eyes and I can see things happening.
Now I'm dropping the subject because either it will or won't happen.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

pcola
Storm Tracker

Loc: pensacola/gulf breeze
Re: making landfall soon [Re: Colleen A.]
      #40046 - Fri Jul 08 2005 03:42 PM

The models all seem to be coming together between Panama City and Biloxi

--------------------
Erin 95 , Opal 95, Ivan 04, Dennis 05, and that's enough!!!!

Southern4sure
Weather Guru

Loc: Land O Lakes, FL
Clouds are moving in [Re: Colleen A.]
      #40047 - Fri Jul 08 2005 03:44 PM

You can see the clouds coming from the south. It is just a matter of time before we start to see some rain.

jr928
Weather Guru

Re: making landfall soon [Re: pcola]
      #40048 - Fri Jul 08 2005 03:45 PM

You guys remember the hurricane that did a full 360 a few years back. Not many models had that in store either. Models are just that, MODELS.

KC
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: Naples, FL
Re: making landfall soon [Re: pcola]
      #40049 - Fri Jul 08 2005 03:47 PM

A tornado watch (probably the first of who knows how many) was just issued for Collier, Miami-Dade and Monroe Counties until tomorrow morning.

Baudelaire

Re: making landfall soon [Re: jr928]
      #40050 - Fri Jul 08 2005 03:47 PM

Quote:

You guys remember the hurricane that did a full 360 a few years back. Not many models had that in store either. Models are just that, MODELS.

That's what I'm saying.

rmbjoe1954
Weather Master

Loc: Port Saint Lucie, Florida, USA
      #40051 - Fri Jul 08 2005 03:48 PM

I remember Gordon returning to Florida from the Carolinas.

--------------------
________2023 Forecast: 20/10/5________

There is little chance that meteorologists can solve the mysteries of weather until they gain an understanding of the mutual attraction of rain and weekends. ~Arnot Sheppard

Katie
Weather Guru

Loc: Winter Haven, FL
Re: making landfall soon [Re: rmbjoe1954]
      #40052 - Fri Jul 08 2005 03:49 PM

What about Jeanne last year doing a completely loop-de-loop out there in the Atlantic before she figured out where she wanted to vacation.

jr928
Weather Guru

Re: making landfall soon [Re: rmbjoe1954]
      #40053 - Fri Jul 08 2005 03:50 PM

Joe B says this time next week we'll be discussing another storm heading for the US coasts.

Rasvar
Weather Master

Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
      #40054 - Fri Jul 08 2005 03:53 PM

Actually, if you are talking about the 360 that Jeanne made last year, most of the major models had seen it at one time or another. [Those models were the main reasons I left my boards up until Jeanne passed]

I still feel that this is a Mobile bay to Biloxi storm. However, I do not think NO is in the clear. Can not really judge based on the motion over land. Will get a better idea when he clears into to the Gulf tomorrow. I am having a hard time see a hard enough turn to really get anything but the lower Keys in the southern part of the state. I think that will only be a swipe of 70-90MPH winds. I think he will clear most of the West Florida coast by 150-200 miles. I just do not see a faster turn happening.

Granted, I would still double check my plans if I was on the West Florida coast.

--------------------
Jim

Edited by Rasvar (Fri Jul 08 2005 03:56 PM)

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 363 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: ****
Topic views: 58561

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center