F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 239 (Idalia) , Major: 239 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 239 (Idalia) Major: 239 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2002 News Articles and Talkback

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)
Brett
Unregistered

well...
      #4070 - Thu Sep 19 2002 05:58 PM

This is so interesting to me. I just do not recall a storm where, three days into the forecast, the NHC simply has no clue where it might head if it stalls out, as predicted. What makes it worse, is that this one has the potential to be a very strong and large hurricane. Can anyone else recall a Category 2-4 hurricane sitting in the southeastern gulf, spinning, with no steering currents? I mean, this could be a very scary event.

What concerns me the most is the few models that take it into the florida peninsula after stalling. If it does get licked up and starts moving north or east rapidly after stalling, people in florida will have so much less time to prepare than if it heads due north or nw. its just gonna be that much closer to florida to start, if it stalls as predicted. I don't know. I might be overreacting, but no one here is taking this seriously...and i hope to god that wherever it goes, it doesn't take anyone by surprise, because they have been lead to believe they were "out of the woods". i for one am staying tuned.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
JustMe
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, Florida
Re: izzy
      #4071 - Thu Sep 19 2002 06:07 PM

ok i think i can see a move looks more to the west

is this a good sdign for Florida being missed?

--------------------

I have survived Betsy Miss, Camille Miss., Andrew Fl, Charley Fl, Frances FL, Jeanne FL,

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: fl
Re: well...
      #4072 - Thu Sep 19 2002 06:11 PM

NEW AVN IS OUT, SHOWS AGAIN TURN TO SW BEHIND THE TROUGH. AVN IS A PRETTY GOOD MODEL AND SHOULDNT BE IGNORED, BUT IM NOT BETTING ON THIS YET THOUGH I WOULD TAKE THIS MODEL OVER THE GFDL,UKMET,GGEM ANY DAY. NOGAPS THOUGH IS PRETTY GOOD AT TIME TOO. SCOTTSVB

Anonymous
Unregistered

#4073 - Thu Sep 19 2002 06:22 PM

I agree. I'm watching this one closely until it's completely gone. As the old saying goes, "It ain't over until the fat lady (or man in this case) sings. I'm registered, but i'm at work and can't remember my password I get these senior moments from time to time.
Kandi
Deltona, FL

StormHound
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
bsnyder
      #4074 - Thu Sep 19 2002 06:25 PM

If Izzy is heading due N or NNW when passing by the Florida west coast, evacuations would probably not be ordered for those areas. Possibly would be only for the lowest lying areas. This would depend on the confidence in the forecast, and forward speed, mong other things. Even at 100 miles or so offshore, it would take some time for an Izzy to turn around if he was moving at 15/20mph. During Elena in 1985, comparable in size to Izzy, I was driving around in some horrible weather while Elena was heading N. When she stopped and started moving E, evacuations were ordered and completed before she got within 75 miles or so. Can you turn your car to the right once you are in the middle of the intersection? Only if you are moving pretty slow.
Hope the analogy helps. Incidentally, you may want to look up Elena accounts on the web. Izzy probably will be a very similar storm.

--------------------
Storm Hound
Computer Geek

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
      #4075 - Thu Sep 19 2002 06:29 PM

NOGAPS AND OTHER MODELS BEGINNING TO AGREE ON THIS, NOGAPS MISSING THE TROUGH HEADING W. IS MY GUT FORCASTING CALL OF A TAMPICO MID WEEK COMING TRUE? ANYWAYS, ISADORE IS A HURRICANE WHEN THE RECON GETS IN THERE. MY FORCAST REMAINS SIMPLE. SHE WILL CONTINUE A GENERAL WNW TRACK WITH WOBBLES NW. ALL MODELS AGREE ON BEING NEAR 23N AND 85 W NOW IN 36 HOURS. AFTER THAT SOME MODEL PICK UP THE SYSTEM AS IT BECOMES A MAJOR HURRICANE AND PUSH IT NNE INTO W FLORIDA OR NEAR THE PANHANDLE. OTHERS TAKE HER W OR EVEN WSW ARE THE YUCITAN OF MEXICO NEAR 72 HOURS. MY 8-10 DAY OUT PREDICTION OF A MIAMI TO N OF TAMPA IS STILL THERE IN JUST WATCH HER. BUT AFTER I SAW THE TROUGH WONT FULLY GET HER, I BACKED OFF THAT AND SAID IN HERE THAT SHE WILL PROBABLY THEN MISS THE TROUGH AND HEAD LIKE THE AVN AND MOVE W OR SW AS SHE WILL BE VERY STRONG, REMEMBER MITCH HOW HE GOT SO STONG HE BACKED SW INTO HODURAS, THIS MIGHT ACTUALLY HAPPEN THOUGH I DOUBT HIT THE YUCITAN, AFTER THAT IT COULD CONTINUE INTO THE SW GULF AND TURN NW TO MAKE LANDFALL SOUTH OF BROWNSVILLE MID NEXT WEEK. AGAIN THIS IS MY 7 DAY FORCAST AGAIN. IVE BEEN RIGHT ON THE MONEY AGAIN IN THESE 72 HOUR FORCASTS AND CANT DISAGREE TO MYSELF ON WHY IT WONT BE NEAR 23.5 AND 84.5 LATE SATURDAY MOVING LITTLE, THE FIRST TROUGH WILL MISS THE SYSTEM BUT ON A OUTSIDE NOTE IF THE NEXT SURGE COMES DOWN FAST ENOUGH EARLY NEXT WEEK IT COULD PULL THE SYSTEM N AND NE TOWARDS THE W FLORIDA COAST OR PANHANDLE INTO MONDAY AND TUESDAY. PRETTY MUCH FOLKS FIRST 6O HOURS IS A 90% BET. AFTER THAT I TEND TO AGREE WITH THE AVN. THOUGH I DONT RULE OUT THE NEXT TROUGH GRABBING THIS LATER SUNDAY INTO EARLY NEXT WEEK PUSHING THIS OFF TO THE NNE. THIS IS A 30% PUSH OFF. ILL GIVE A NEW FORCAST AGAIN LATER TOMORROW. SCOTTSVB HURRICANEUPDATECENTER

Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Subtle key
      #4076 - Thu Sep 19 2002 06:29 PM

IMHO, a big thing to watch will be if Isidore passes to the East/West/or right over the Isle of Youth. A pass on the East side is going to make it easier for a Florida landfall. Right over will probably have it stalling in the middle of the GOM. to the west will probably cause it to kick west towards the Yucatan. Not a very wide area; but I think big enough to make the difference in where he will go.

--------------------
Jim

Anonymousnickd
Unregistered

#4077 - Thu Sep 19 2002 06:29 PM

i am not discounting the avn but...it seems to me that it doesn't have the correct intensity with izzy from the start. would this mean that the accuracy of the model would be in question?

StormHound
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: Brett
      #4078 - Thu Sep 19 2002 06:30 PM

Brett, it happens all the time. This one is more difficult than most, not as difficult than some. If you actually carefully track the NHC course for each storm, you'll see that many end up on a completely different track than initially forecast. NHC is masterful at gradually changing the track until it matches up closely with what ends up happening. The truth is that we are only decent at guess the next 24-48 hours. After that, minor influences can make major differences in storm direction. Any forecast over 48 hours is pure speculation. That's what makes this so interesting.

--------------------
Storm Hound
Computer Geek

Cocoa Beach
Unregistered

East of Youth???
      #4079 - Thu Sep 19 2002 06:32 PM

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float-wv-loop.html
What do you think Scott?
I thought I heard if the storm takes Youth on the East side then
the Keys are in a better position to be struck?

scottsvb
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: East of Youth???
      #4080 - Thu Sep 19 2002 06:36 PM

IF IT DOES GO EAST OF THE ISLE OF YOUTH IT WILL HAVE A BETTER CHANCE ON NOT THE FIRST TROUGH , BUT THE 2ND MONDAY INTO TUESDAY. A SIDE NOTE ON THE AVN STRENGTH. I IGNORE THE STRENGTH IT SHOWS IN THE FIRST 48 HOURS, THOUGH GENERALLY A VERY STRONG SYSTEM CREATES A BETTER RIDGE OVERHEAD AND WILL STEER IT W OR EVEN WSW. (MITCH,ANDREW,ETC)SCOTTSVB

Anonymousnickd
Unregistered

#4081 - Thu Sep 19 2002 06:36 PM

one more thing. i have also heard that when izzy gets strong he could blast right through the ridging that is causing these models to run west. is this true?

Anonymousnickd
Unregistered

#4082 - Thu Sep 19 2002 06:38 PM

i thought strong storms liked to go poleward

Anonymous
Unregistered

haha..sir cane u always were adorable
      #4083 - Thu Sep 19 2002 06:41 PM

Like THAT one helps lol

http://www.wunderground.com/tropical/tracking/at200210_climo.html

Marktropic
Unregistered

#4084 - Thu Sep 19 2002 06:52 PM

Interesting Test from Miami

HLSMIA
FLZ067-068-071>075-191345-

HURRICANE LOCAL STATEMENT...CORRECTION
NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE MIAMI FL
940 AM EDT THU SEP 19 2002

THIS STATEMENT APPLIES TO THE FOLLOWING COUNTIES IN SOUTH FLORIDA...
MAINLAND MONROE...MIAMI-DADE...BROWARD...PALM
BEACH...COLLIER...HENDRY AND GLADES.

...TEST TEST TEST...PLEASE IGNORE...TEST...TEST...TEST...

...LOCATION MOVEMENT INTENSITY AND TREND...
TEST...TEST...TEST...

...LOCAL WIND IMPACT...
THIS IS A TEST. PS.

...LOCAL SURGE IMPACT...
THIS IS A TEST. PS.

andy1tom
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Callaway, Florida
      #4085 - Thu Sep 19 2002 06:58 PM

Thats been up awhile. I think they may issue t/s warning or watches for the keys later. i saw something about that in a discussion but can't rember where.

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
NWS Miami
      #4086 - Thu Sep 19 2002 07:02 PM

Mark....I saw that, too and wondered about it. Why the heck would they do a "test statement" on Isidore? Is that a previously scheduled test that just happened to coincidentally have a TS/Hurricane sitting out there or are they preparing?

Colleen-----> Scratches Head

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Colleen A.

Reged:
Loc: Florida
Test
      #4087 - Thu Sep 19 2002 07:04 PM

But wouldn't the NWS in Key West be doing those test statements if they were going to be affected? I didn't think Miami NWS issued those statements for the Keys. Hm.

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Joe
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: St.Petersburg,FL
      #4088 - Thu Sep 19 2002 07:05 PM

Well another day and of coarse not much change as to where this will go when it gets to gulf with so many possibilities. AVN moves it west "very slowly" as a strong hurricane...CMC bombs it west of FL and moves slowly...UKMET moves it towards FL...GFDL moves it towards north central gulf. One thing that has caught my attention other than are soon to be hurricane is the trough pulling out from west. Water Vapor looks fairly impressive and whether this comes along and picks it up is in question. Saw the same Mark Miami testing Hurricane statement. Probably because theres a possibility of watches to their south in the keys. But in any case I think from 90 and east will be prime targets for this major cane.

ShawnS
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Pearland,Tx
Re: NWS Miami
      #4089 - Thu Sep 19 2002 07:06 PM

If you notice the time that it was issued, it was earlier this morning when the models,at that time, were pointing towards Florida. In other words, I think it is old news now. With the more westerly track since then, I would suspect that message to be out-dated at this point. That doesn't mean that Miami is in the clear,though.

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 5 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 16669

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center