F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 232 (Idalia) , Major: 232 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 232 (Idalia) Major: 232 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Reged: Sun
Loc: Tampa
Re: Direction [Re: Lysis]
      #41563 - Sun Jul 10 2005 10:42 AM

Foxnews is showing an incredible feed from the Pier in Pensacola

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
HanKFranK
User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Graniteville, SC
Re: Direction [Re: Justin in Miami]
      #41564 - Sun Jul 10 2005 10:43 AM

wood framed bldgs? older construction, maybe. whatever Ivan didn't get.. well, Dennis is going to have its way with it.
HF 1543z10july

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Re: Direction [Re: Justin in Miami]
      #41565 - Sun Jul 10 2005 10:43 AM

Looks like Suddath has picked his spot to continue feed. http://www.hurricanetrack.com/live.html

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: wave heights [Re: Justin in Miami]
      #41566 - Sun Jul 10 2005 10:45 AM

Quote:

Some of you might not be aware of these guys:

http://hurricanetrack.com/

They had some oustanding video of Charlie last year. They are hurricane chasers.

Can't believe these guys. They are putting themselves right in the path of a storm surge just for some pics of tiny waves lapping at a beach house.

When storm surge comes in, it comes in fast just like the water from a tsunami.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

CarolinaGurl
Weather Watcher

Reged: Tue
Loc: Wilmington/Kure Beach, NC
Re: wave heights [Re: Margie]
      #41567 - Sun Jul 10 2005 10:46 AM

They don't stay in the vehicle - they leave it there to collect data - like "dorothy" in the movie Twister.

--------------------
My Storms - Hugo, Bertha, Bonnie, Fran, Dennis, Floyd, Ophelia, Ernesto, Irene. Arthur

Lysis
User

Reged: Thu
Loc: Hong Kong
Re: wave heights [Re: CarolinaGurl]
      #41568 - Sun Jul 10 2005 10:48 AM

This image struck me.
Outer rain bands coming onto Pensacola beach, yesterday:

http://lightningboy.com/Hurricane_Dennis/DSC00777.jpg

--------------------
cheers

AdvAutoBob
Weather Watcher

Reged: Wed
Loc: Cape Coral, FL
Re: Hurricanetrack [Re: Justin in Miami]
      #41569 - Sun Jul 10 2005 10:48 AM

Sudduth's wind tower is about to get its first REAL field test...

To Rick and all of you in Dennis' path, you're all in my family's prayers. The only upside I can see is at least landfall is during daylight hours.

--------------------
"Chance favors the prepared mind"

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

#41570 - Sun Jul 10 2005 10:48 AM

Actually, they are in the vehicle and driving around

--------------------

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

MikeCAdministrator
Admin

Loc: Orlando, FL
Re: wave heights [Re: Tazmanian93]
      #41571 - Sun Jul 10 2005 10:50 AM

Mark needs to get that thing up and get out of there pretty soon, he doesn't have much time. Landfall is going to be a little bit sooner in the afternoon now.

CarolinaGurl
Weather Watcher

Re: wave heights [Re: Tazmanian93]
      #41572 - Sun Jul 10 2005 10:50 AM

Quote:

Actually, they are in the vehicle and driving around

But they will leave it and go back to the police station for shelter.

--------------------
My Storms - Hugo, Bertha, Bonnie, Fran, Dennis, Floyd, Ophelia, Ernesto, Irene. Arthur

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: Twin Cities
flood info from Pascagoula [Re: Margie]
      #41573 - Sun Jul 10 2005 10:53 AM

Just talked to my brother in Pascagoula. He's been on duty since 2am and quite busy but luckily I caught him just at the right time to talk to him for a couple minutes.

He said the county shut down the computer system so he has no way to get direct info about the hurricane, but he knows the barometric pressure must be really low, because of how much the water is already rising (under areas of low barometric pressure the water will rise up like a dome). He said they are already at 7 feet or more in some areas, and already they are getting calls from folks who are in trouble because of the high water. Remember they are getting winds from the N right now.

Also...the eye is clearly visible on MOB radar now:

http://www.crh.noaa.gov/radar/loop/DS.p19r0/si.kmob.shtml

I told him I'd give him a call and let him know if it hooked west to make landfall west of the FL/AL border. While we were talking I didn't think that would be the case but wow it is really moving NW now and it is moving pretty fast. If it doesn't hook west or go too far west then they won't have to worry because they won't get too much wind or rain.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

superfly
Weather Watcher

Reged: Sat
Loc: New Orleans
Re: flood info from Pascagoula [Re: Margie]
      #41574 - Sun Jul 10 2005 11:00 AM

Outer eyewall has formed from radar loops. This could weaken significantly before landfall.

CarolinaGurl
Weather Watcher

Re: wave heights [Re: MikeC]
      #41575 - Sun Jul 10 2005 11:04 AM

Quote:

Mark needs to get that thing up and get out of there pretty soon, he doesn't have much time. Landfall is going to be a little bit sooner in the afternoon now.

Post on the website says they are going to head east as far as they can to setup the tower and get away, webcam will be down while they setup. www.hurricanetrack.com

--------------------

Lysis
User

Loc: Hong Kong
      #41576 - Sun Jul 10 2005 11:06 AM

A little late for this, as the conversation has ended, but...
Believe it or not, these storm chasers are doing the community a service, in my opinion. People need some form of closure with these things. My reconciling with Charley was done through my film. I would then show it to other people, see their emotional impact, and see that they now finally understood. This is most important for the people to evacuate. I will never forget my neighbor coming home that afternoon to survey the damage. When she saw all her windows broken, her roof in shambles, and everything in the house trashed, she started screaming in the street. People don’t understand how this could ever happen to them. When they see my movie, it is like, oh, now I understand.
Another group of storm chasers….Jeff Gammons, Jim Edds, and Douglas Kiesling , among other guys with their team usually produce some pretty good imagery. I don’t know how long they can keep it up, but they have this “intercepting” business down to a science. However if there is one thing that we have learned about hurricanes, it is to expect the unexpected. I hope no one gets killed in one of these things, because it will probably end it (and worse, it will be on film).

The films storm chasers create generally mean a lot to a community that was hit. That is why the aforementioned team made over $100,000 in just our little town.

http://www.bnvn.com/hurricane_charley/

http://www.extremestorms.com/

http://lightningboy.com/

--------------------
cheers

richisurfs
Weather Guru

Loc: Indialantic,Florida
Re: flood info from Pascagoula [Re: superfly]
      #41577 - Sun Jul 10 2005 11:06 AM

Mike...I know you're working hard to keep this thing going. It's running great considering whats going on.Thanks alot!!!!!!

HanKFranK
User

Reged: Mon
Loc: Graniteville, SC
eyewall behavior [Re: superfly]
      #41578 - Sun Jul 10 2005 11:07 AM

not very predictable, those inner core changes. yeah, it could spin down some... but i dunno. that inner eyewall hasn't weakened a whole lot... there's maybe half of an outer eyewall.. and it's approaching the coast. if i had to guess, i wouldn't call on it to spin down below cat 4 status, or the pressure to get back above 940... but i'm not being optimistic. i was going with a 3 earlier but had just about lost hope on that... with it accelerating and coming in perpendicular to the coast, it should more or less keep stable to impact. that'll be in about 4 1/2 hrs.
HF 1606z10july

GLT
Verified CFHC User

Loc: Central FL
Re: Family is hunkering down... [Re: birdwomn]
      #41579 - Sun Jul 10 2005 11:09 AM

After Charlie and Frances the land line phones worked for several hours after we lost power - seems they have their own batteries which then died. 4-6 hours.

Verizon cell worked the whole time.

(Please don't stop your prayers for those in the path just because the storm is stlll coming. There will be many miracles, maybe one because of your prayer.)

This makes me feel so bad it hurts.

GLT

Clark
Meteorologist

Loc:
Re: flood info from Pascagoula [Re: superfly]
      #41580 - Sun Jul 10 2005 11:09 AM

There's a chance of it, but we don't know where in the cycle it'll occur. Will one happen before landfall? We can only hope, but it's not a given.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Re: wave heights [Re: Lysis]
      #41581 - Sun Jul 10 2005 11:09 AM

I have to agree, the more coverage of these storms, the more informed folks will be, and increase preparedness now and in the future.

--------------------

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

BabyCat
Weather Guru

Loc: New Orleans, La.
lysis photo [Re: Lysis]
      #41584 - Sun Jul 10 2005 11:15 AM

Very impressive photo

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 567 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 94796

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center