F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Special Tropical Weather Outlook issued for area in the East-Central Atlantic, only with 10% chance for development, not expected to do much.
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 238 (Idalia) , Major: 238 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 238 (Idalia) Major: 238 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
Re: Direction [Re: Lysis]
      #41585 - Sun Jul 10 2005 03:16 PM

I would have to disagree, but then again it's merely prefrence. A hurricane's damage would be much more brazen during the day (when you could see it), rather then night when you have no clue what's happening. A crude metaphor would be getting shot and watching it happen.

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
drcrazibob
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Loc: Daytona Beach, Fl
Re: Direction [Re: Keith234]
      #41586 - Sun Jul 10 2005 03:20 PM

Well, Good luck to all up there! I have a Cousin in Ft. Walton Beach that has a trailer home, however he and his wife and child are staying in Orlando right now. I'm thinking they'll be coming home to a house boat.

Someone told me there were 2 Lows coming off of Africa?

ftlaudbob
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Valladolid,Mx
Re: Direction [Re: drcrazibob]
      #41587 - Sun Jul 10 2005 03:24 PM

Quote:

Well, Good luck to all up there! I have a Cousin in Ft. Walton Beach that has a trailer home, however he and his wife and child are staying in Orlando right now. I'm thinking they'll be coming home to a house boat.

Someone told me there were 2 Lows coming off of Africa?

Yup,2 more. Good chance of developing also.What a year this is going to be!!!!!

--------------------

Survived: 10 hurricanes in Rhode Island,Florida and the Yucatan of Mexico .

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Polk County, Florida
      #41588 - Sun Jul 10 2005 03:25 PM

Yeah, they will take a look at what Dennis did and turn around and go the other way so they don't get the blame!

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

Storm Cooper
User

Reged:
Loc: Panama City , FL
Re: Direction [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #41589 - Sun Jul 10 2005 03:31 PM

Bay County bridges will be closed in about an hour due to expected sustained 55mph winds.

--------------------
Hurricane Season 2017 13/7/1

pcola
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: pensacola/gulf breeze
Re: Direction [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #41590 - Sun Jul 10 2005 03:32 PM

well, still have power here in gulf breeze. winds probably 60 mph. house is shaking a bit but i am hoping this is no worse than Ivan..radar looks like a Pensacola pass or al/fl border landfall

--------------------
Erin 95 , Opal 95, Ivan 04, Dennis 05, and that's enough!!!!

B.C.Francis
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Indiatlantic Florida
      #41592 - Sun Jul 10 2005 03:37 PM

Correct me if I`m wrong , looking at the radar loop out of Pensacola, it looked like Dennis might hit west of town.......and the two waves out in the Atlantic bares watching. The one that just came off of Africa looks pretty impressive, the one in the mid Atlantic has some convection this morning and a swirl......Trackin time again next week it looks like.......I pray for those of you in Dennis`s path...Be safe...Weather

Justin in Miami
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Re: Direction [Re: pcola]
      #41593 - Sun Jul 10 2005 03:38 PM

PCola where exactly are you in Gulf Breeze? Are you on the coast?

VolusiaMike
Weather Hobbyist

Reged:
Loc: Ormond Beach, FL
Re: Direction [Re: pcola]
      #41594 - Sun Jul 10 2005 03:38 PM

Based on information via HurrTrack, you should be getting sustained winds of around 50 MPH from 55 degrees in Escambia County.

Lysis
User

Reged:
Loc: Hong Kong
Re: Direction [Re: VolusiaMike]
      #41595 - Sun Jul 10 2005 03:44 PM

From experience Keith... I would much rather go through a daytime hurricane than a nighttime one. But perhaps this is a thing of personal preference. It sucks either way... but at least you know what is going on in the day. I guess it doesn’t matter in the bathroom closet.

--------------------
cheers

LadyStorm
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: United States
Re: Direction [Re: Lysis]
      #41597 - Sun Jul 10 2005 03:47 PM

From the 3 hurricanes I have gone through I would say going through them in the day hours in less scarey than having them happen at night. I like to know what is happening, I hate being left in the dark (pun not intended)

MaryAnn

Quote:

From experience Keith... I would much rather go through a daytime hurricane than a nighttime one. But perhaps this is a thing of personal preference. It sucks either way... but at least you know what is going on in the day. I guess it doesn’t matter in the bathroom closet.

Rick on boat in Mobile
Weather Drama Guru

Reged:
hey ya'll [Re: Lysis]
      #41598 - Sun Jul 10 2005 03:48 PM

Still here...just balmy and breezy inland about 20 miles...anticipate things will deteriorate rapidly...

appears movement will oscillate....and now where the eye comes in...everything to the right of it for twenty miles...will be the brunt of things...

boat may survive this...unless it tracks a little bit more west than it is...

doing fine right now...wierd that it's coming in during the day...can't remember that happening in the last 10 hurricanes....will it stall and come in tonight?...

still some suprises, I think, with the ultimate landfall....

garrison
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
Re: eyewall behavior [Re: HanKFranK]
      #41599 - Sun Jul 10 2005 03:50 PM

looking at the latest NWS radar loop, looks like the eyewall has weakened in the last half hr

B.C.Francis
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Indiatlantic Florida
Re: hey ya'll [Re: Rick on boat in Mobile]
      #41600 - Sun Jul 10 2005 03:53 PM

Good thing your not out in the Gulf near moored bouy 42036, it had peak wave height of 33.5 in the last hour.........Weatherchef

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
Re: eyewall behavior [Re: garrison]
      #41601 - Sun Jul 10 2005 03:57 PM

Looking at visible, there some thunderstorms clouds extending beyond the general height of the other tops to the SW corner of the eye. Most likely torndaic , but then again it would be offly difficult to notice a tornado when you're experiencing a hurricane with 140 mph winds.

Edit -- Keith234, it's very rare to see any tornadic activity within the eyewall of the storm itself. Conditions just do not support it. It is likely that this is where the strongest winds may be found at this time, particularly as they translate down to the surface, but not an indicator of tornadoes. Radar data -- particularly velocity products -- need to be used to look for tornadic activity, not satellite. --Clark

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

Edited by Clark (Sun Jul 10 2005 04:13 PM)

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
Re: hey ya'll [Re: B.C.Francis]
      #41603 - Sun Jul 10 2005 04:01 PM

Quote:

Good thing your not out in the Gulf near moored bouy 42036, it had peak wave height of 33.5 in the last hour.........Weatherchef

You mean 42039 (south of Pensacola). 42036 is south of Tampa and had max wave height of around 24 ft earlier this morning.

Actually that data is two hours old...it says 9:50 but if you look above it says the times are one hour older, so that was at 9am.

Sure wish the buoy south of Dauphin Island (42040) was working.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

Nate
Weather Watcher

Reged:
Re: eyewall behavior [Re: Keith234]
      #41604 - Sun Jul 10 2005 04:01 PM

Local Weatherman from Mobile-Pensocola area stated the rainbands arent as bad as expected and most likely wont be as Tornadic as one thought. Thats a good sign, also Winds arent as a bda as expected either. I wouldnt be surprised if it gets downgraded to a 3 and maybe even fall apart sooner then expected once it hits land. The cooler water seems to be doing damage.

Steve777

Reged:
Loc: St. Cloud FL
Re: Direction [Re: LadyStorm]
      #41605 - Sun Jul 10 2005 04:03 PM

Having still damage to fix 11 months later (slept in living room 6 months) I am so sorry to see what folks will be facing again. i'm like in shock . FIVE hurricanes to hit Florida in less than 11 months.

Justin in Miami
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Ft. Lauderdale, Florida
Re: eyewall behavior [Re: Nate]
      #41606 - Sun Jul 10 2005 04:06 PM

Nate, I would wait to hear that from NHC...sounds like some of these TV Mets are winging it right now....also...looks like it will be a direct hit on Pensacola...looks like Gulf Breeze and Navarre area will be hammered.

HanKFranK
User

Reged:
Loc: Graniteville, SC
vortex msg [Re: Steve777]
      #41607 - Sun Jul 10 2005 04:08 PM

the latest message had 937mb as the central pressure and the max flight level winds at 93kt. the wind sample is probably low, but the pressure is going back up, which is good. it will probably be a 3 when it gets to the coast.. but still stronger than Ivan incrementally. the eyewall convection is a little weaker, and the satellite presentation isn't as good as earlier... three hours to go or so.
HF 1708z10july

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 245 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 94681

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center