F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 233 (Idalia) , Major: 233 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 233 (Idalia) Major: 233 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
Storm Cooper
User

Reged: Sat
Loc: Panama City , FL
Re: On another, more local note... [Re: jr928]
      #41476 - Sun Jul 10 2005 08:18 AM

I am not a met and have not seen TWC but by radar it appears to be a north mvt. Some prior forecast thinking may verify after all.

--------------------
Hurricane Season 2017 13/7/1

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Terra
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc: Kingwood, Texas
Re: Recon [Re: pcola]
      #41477 - Sun Jul 10 2005 08:19 AM

Quote:

For the first time in days I have to say that the NHC track may be off.. Radar here shows Dennis on almost a due north coarse, and last 2 positions confirm it.

It's almost like they changed the forecast path 'by mistake' at 5AM EDT. I mean, the discussion said there was no change, and it doesn't look like there should have been a change... but, it shifted west some. I really don't understand why they did that.

--------------------
Terra Dassau Cahill

jr928
Weather Guru

Reged: Fri
Re: On another, more local note... [Re: Kal]
      #41478 - Sun Jul 10 2005 08:19 AM

but cantore is there , it never hits him

Storm Cooper
User

Reged: Sat
Loc: Panama City , FL
      #41479 - Sun Jul 10 2005 08:22 AM

JK just said it is not a wobble but a true north mvt. Will it last is the question.

--------------------
Hurricane Season 2017 13/7/1

SirCane
Storm Tracker

Loc: Pensacola, FL
      #41480 - Sun Jul 10 2005 08:23 AM

Looks bad with that movement for Pensacola. Unbelieveable.

--------------------
Direct Hits:
Hurricane Erin (1995) 100 mph
Hurricane Opal (1995) 115 mph
Hurricane Ivan (2004) 130 mph
Hurricane Dennis (2005) 120 mph
http://www.hardcoreweather.com

Rasvar
Weather Master

Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Re: On another, more local note... [Re: Kal]
      #41481 - Sun Jul 10 2005 08:24 AM

It is looking like it is not a wobble but a true turn to the north. May spare Pensacola the brunt. However, Navarre to east of Destin may be the bullseye if this movement continues. Hopefully, everyone has evacuted from these areas. This is going to destroy the roads into and out of many of these areas as the ocean washes out parts of the barrier islands. This is not a storm to be riding out.

--------------------
Jim

jth
Storm Tracker

Reged: Mon
Still NNW [Re: Rasvar]
      #41482 - Sun Jul 10 2005 08:29 AM

Still moving NNW....there was a wobble due north, but it appears to be starting another wobble back nw in the last few radar frames. Still think landfall is further east than forecast..probably around Ft Walton/Destin.

Ron Basso
Storm Tracker

Reged: Thu
Loc: hernando beach, FL
Re: Dennis' North Movement [Re: Storm Cooper]
      #41483 - Sun Jul 10 2005 08:30 AM

Quote:

I am not a met and have not seen TWC but by radar it appears to be a north mvt. Some prior forecast thinking may verify after all.

Definite northerly movement the last 2 hours. Take a look at the color infared - the CDO on the west side of the storm is narrowing and the cloud shield is becoming asymmetrical. A sure sign of upper level W-SW shearing. This is good and bad news. Good in that it may start to weaken him a little, bad in that it may result in a consistent N or perhaps even a N-NE movement to the coast. Looks bad between Ft Walton Bch and Panama City.

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/DATA/RT/float2-ir4-loop.html

--------------------
RJB

Rasvar
Weather Master

Re: On another, more local note... [Re: Rasvar]
      #41484 - Sun Jul 10 2005 08:30 AM

Not wishing this on anyone; but a best case scenario might be if the center can go in around Grayton Beach or Seagrove Beach. This area would leave the least population and buldings at risk to the core of the storm. Damage would still be severe and Panama City would be hit pretty hard. No really good place for this monster to go except away.

--------------------
Jim

AndyG
Weather Watcher

Loc: Bradenton, FL
Re: Still NNW [Re: jth]
      #41485 - Sun Jul 10 2005 08:30 AM

I agree, just ever so slightly moving back NNW.

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

#41486 - Sun Jul 10 2005 08:32 AM

morning all.... I still think it has a slight westerly component to the motion and not due north, not looking at the latest radar loops.... my opinion only.... looks to be heading directly to Pensacola... what side of the eye wall it gets yet to be determined.... eye wall on radar looks to be about 10 miles or so in diameter, which is where the 145 miles per hour winds would be.... not a very good place to be so if you have any change of being in it, and you can leave, I'd highly recommend it .... or you better be in a damn strong building or house...

tides at Biloxi look to be about normal, however, we have these glassy two foot waves breaking.... this only occurs with an approaching strong cane off to our SE....

good luck to all .....

StormKrone
Weather Watcher

Loc: Jacksonville, FL
      #41487 - Sun Jul 10 2005 08:33 AM

Hi gang,

Long time...no see.. Just watching, waiting, and reading from over here in Tallahassee..where it is just overcast and rainy.

Have to say, been waiting for the Cantore comments .<g> Thank you!!!

To everyone closer to this monster.... my heart, my prayers and my best wishes are with you. Take care, because I am going to be counting noses when all this is over..

Dee, the StormKrone

stormchazer
Storm Tracker

Loc: Central Florida
      #41488 - Sun Jul 10 2005 08:34 AM

Wanted to add my concerns and prayers for all who have been and will be effected by Dennis.

Any good thing is often bad for someone. If Dennis is moving North then some of the larger Population centers still recovering from Ivan could be spared. I know that does not say much for Ft Walton, Destin and other areas East.

Again my prayers to you all.

--------------------
Jara

Jeffmidtown
Weather Guru

Reged: Wed
Loc: Atlanta, Ga
      #41489 - Sun Jul 10 2005 08:35 AM

Good morning everyone, I hope all got some sleep because this could be a bumpy day...

I have to agree with some of the posters that the movement is more northerly rather than a NNW movement....But if Dennis continues a Northerly track and stays that course inland, there's gonna be a flurry of changing watches and warnings further inland from Montgomery to Atlanta.

One thing I'm wondering, what time is this monster expected to make landfall and how close to high tide is it supposed to hit?

Again it bears repeating, if you are to the east of the eye, it is imperative to still watch this storm like a hawk as the right front quadrant of the storm is the most dangerous and causes possible tornadoes and heavy rains...

Also tidal flooding in Madiera Beach, FL.....

God Speed to everyone in PCB to Moblie and everyone in the path....

--------------------
You know it's a bad day.....when you wake up and see Jim Cantore and Geraldo Rivera broadcasting from your backyard....literally!

Edited by Jeffmidtown (Sun Jul 10 2005 08:45 AM)

HanKFranK
User

Loc: Graniteville, SC
ten hours [Re: Rasvar]
      #41490 - Sun Jul 10 2005 08:36 AM

it still has time to do the ERC thing and spin down to manageable levels. intensity changes with these strong ones are unpredictable... it would be a lot nicer to see the winds drop 20 mph before landfall. that 1mb pressure fall since the last advisory suggests that it's near the upper threshold it can get to... hopefully the only thing that Dennis can do from here is weaken. i'm not wanting to see that perpendicular impact effect that accelerates the winds and tightens the core that joe b talks about. not at all.
God forbid that the core moves over pensacola. lots more to break there than port charlotte.
we'll probably have an emily tomorrow, in other news. misery loves company.
HF 1336z10july

jr928
Weather Guru

Re: ten hours [Re: HanKFranK]
      #41491 - Sun Jul 10 2005 08:40 AM

there goes cantore again,just on live, warning ms and al that the sky will fall upon landfall, he's more doomsday than the Accuweather guy joe b. NHC has surprised me and nailed this forcast thus far, I'm sticking with them and agree with the soon to see west nw wobble back

Rasvar
Weather Master

Re: ten hours [Re: HanKFranK]
      #41492 - Sun Jul 10 2005 08:44 AM

My thoughts and prayers are with everyone in this area. For my job, I handle computer systems in my companies offices up in the Florida Panhandle. I have been there after almost all of the major hurricanes since Erin to hit the area. Opal and Ivan were the worst I had seen. I fear this storm may push past them. Fortunately, I just about everyone I know has evacuated to either Tallahassee or Jacksonville.

--------------------
Jim

lunkerhunter
Storm Tracker

Loc: Saint Augustine, FL
Re: ten hours [Re: Rasvar]
      #41493 - Sun Jul 10 2005 08:45 AM

is this new data ?

URNT12 KNHC 101207
VORTEX DATA MESSAGE
A. 10/11:43:00Z
B. 28 deg 23 min N
086 deg 18 min W
C. 700 mb 2515 m
D. NA kt
E. NA deg nm
F. 134 deg 131 kt
G. 49 deg 009 nm
H. EXTRAP 930 mb
I. 9 C/ 3046 m
J. 21 C/ 3008 m
K. 17 C/ NA
L. CLOSED WALL
M. C8
N. 12345/ 7
O. 0.02 / 1 nm
P. AF305 1604A Dennis OB 19
MAX FL WIND 131 KT NE QUAD 11:40:30 Z

Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Re: On another, more local note... [Re: Jeffmidtown]
      #41494 - Sun Jul 10 2005 08:47 AM

at 7:37 I have Dennis at ~86.38 W and ~28.65N... in the past 54 minutes Dennis has gone ~.22 degrees N and ~.06 degrees W... technically I would say he is still going NNW.... he is about 132 miles SSE of Pensacola and 170 miles SE of Mobile...

lunkerhunter
Storm Tracker

Loc: Saint Augustine, FL
Re: ten hours [Re: lunkerhunter]
      #41495 - Sun Jul 10 2005 08:48 AM

down to 131kts....eyewall replacement?

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 400 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 94839

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center