F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

The 2024 Atlantic Hurricane Season Begins on June 1st and lasts until Nov 30th. NHC Outlooks resume on May 15th..
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 237 (Idalia) , Major: 237 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 237 (Idalia) Major: 237 (Idalia)

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)
Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged:
Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Re: ten hours [Re: lunkerhunter]
      #41496 - Sun Jul 10 2005 12:50 PM

That is not a complete report. Note the highest winds parameter and lowest pressure is marked as "N"

--------------------
Jim

Edited by Rasvar (Sun Jul 10 2005 12:52 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Frank P
Veteran Storm Chaser

Reged:
      #41497 - Sun Jul 10 2005 12:52 PM

pressure drop 1 mb too

lunkerhunter
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Saint Augustine, FL
      #41498 - Sun Jul 10 2005 12:53 PM

looks like a right hook

Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged:
      #41500 - Sun Jul 10 2005 12:57 PM

BTW, not to distract, Joe B thinks there are 2 more potential landfalling systems over the next few weeks. He may be hard headed on forecasting landfall of systems; but he has been good on his heads up on potential systems this year.

--------------------
Jim

Southern4sure
Weather Guru

Reged:
Loc: Land O Lakes, FL
Re: On another, more local note... [Re: Frank P]
      #41501 - Sun Jul 10 2005 12:58 PM

Quote:

at 7:37 I have Dennis at ~86.38 W and ~28.65N... in the past 54 minutes Dennis has gone ~.22 degrees N and ~.06 degrees W... technically I would say he is still going NNW.... he is about 132 miles SSE of Pensacola and 170 miles SE of Mobile...

I have family who left Grand Bay and went to Mobile who did not evacuate. According to Skeetobites map at 7:17 am Dennis goes directly over their home in Wilmer (North Mobile). Is it to late to leave the area? Also which direction to go if they do leave, west towards TX? I sure dont want them to get stuck on the road. Gut says to hunker down but the house is an old old brick house. Why didnt they listen to me days ago....

lunkerhunter
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: ten hours [Re: Rasvar]
      #41502 - Sun Jul 10 2005 12:59 PM

Quote:

BTW, not to distract, Joe B thinks there are 2 more potential landfalling systems over the next few weeks. He may be hard headed on forecasting landfall of systems; but he has been good on his heads up on potential systems this year.

run the various loops and you'll see.
http://moe.met.fsu.edu/tcgengifs/

NewWatcher
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: Port Orange, FL
      #41503 - Sun Jul 10 2005 12:59 PM

yes run the MM5 and u can see them both, the first, 98l is gonna be a whopper

--------------------
Pam in Volusia County

According to Colleen A ... "I AM A HURRICANE FREAK"
2007 Predictions 16/9/6

pcola
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Loc: pensacola/gulf breeze
      #41504 - Sun Jul 10 2005 12:59 PM

Well, Dr Steve basically said that teh eyewall will be coming right over my house. He said it should still turn left before landfall but I've never seen one do that. I am 30 miles west of Ft Walton so a right hook would be fine for me right now. Oh well. We are ready. Its amazing how many people returned when this went to a cat1 and the NHC said it would not get back to 3. They are not ready. Lets keep our fingers crossed this weekens a bit before landfall.

--------------------
Erin 95 , Opal 95, Ivan 04, Dennis 05, and that's enough!!!!

jr928
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: On another, more local note... [Re: Southern4sure]
      #41505 - Sun Jul 10 2005 01:00 PM

think daniel said traffic on 98 and 49 from wilmer to hattiesburg and on up towards jackson was not too heavy

Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged:
      #41506 - Sun Jul 10 2005 01:00 PM

TWC just mentioned a very important item that should be repeated.
Do not run a generator indoors. It is not even wise to run it in an attached garage. However, if you do run one in an attached garage(which I do sometimes), make sure you have a CO2 detector above the door to your garage and in other areas of the house(which I also do).

--------------------
Jim

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
morning all [Re: Frank P]
      #41507 - Sun Jul 10 2005 01:00 PM

The buoy south of Pensacola has started to report 30' wave heights.

Unfortunately the buoy south of Dauphin Island, which you'd really like to see, doesn't seem to be reporting.

Wow this storm is still intensifying...I can't get a handle on what it will be doing in the hours just before landfall when it has had all day over the Gulf.

NHC said the only thing to slow it down was cooler water temps. Yesterday though showed warmer temps right along the shore (I used Oceanweather because it is easy to read with all the different shades of orange). That showed yesterday a band of warmer temps above and around the barrier islands and to the west of the hurricane S of LA. Maybe that isn't a good SST map to go by?

http://www.oceanweather.com/data/Gulf-of-Mexico/sst.html

I don't wish this on anyone, but I'm relieved this morning to see the Nward movement because otherwise MS coastline would be in trouble. Still awful that someone has to get hit with this storm.

Waiting to see the first daylight sat view...looks like very white cloud tops around the eye, the buzzsaw signature, very impressive eye.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

lunkerhunter
Storm Tracker

Reged:
      #41508 - Sun Jul 10 2005 01:01 PM

I have family who left Grand Bay and went to Mobile who did not evacuate. According to Skeetobites map at 7:17 am Dennis goes directly over their home in Wilmer (North Mobile). Is it to late to leave the area? Also which direction to go if they do leave, west towards TX? I sure dont want them to get stuck on the road. Gut says to hunker down but the house is an old old brick house. Why didnt they listen to me days ago....

Personally I would leave now and head West/NW.

Pensacola101

Reged:
Re: On another, more local note... [Re: lunkerhunter]
      #41509 - Sun Jul 10 2005 01:03 PM

Local mets are coming on and talking with the NHC, that the north jump will more than likely be a wobble. They are saying that stronger storms are forming on the west side of the eye and that should pull it back to a NW, NNW trend and that is not good for us here in Pensacola. This will put the eye directly onto us.

I hope they are wrong though.

Rasvar
Weather Master

Reged:
Re: On another, more local note... [Re: lunkerhunter]
      #41510 - Sun Jul 10 2005 01:04 PM

I would say if they do evacuate, west would be the way to go. If they are going to go, they have to levae now. I would not suggest leaving an hour from now. All the bridges will probably be closed shortly. So going Northwest would be best.

--------------------
Jim

HanKFranK
User

Reged:
Loc: Graniteville, SC
      #41511 - Sun Jul 10 2005 01:05 PM

joe's cocky and all, but he's tops when it comes to pattern recognition. yeah, we're gonna be talking about that low at 40w a heck of a lot after Dennis is up near paducah.
speaking of which, more globals than not are showing Dennis doing a loop/stall scenario inland over the lower midwest and midsouth. this thing will probably be causing flooding all week. that could end up being just as big of a story.
HF 1405z10july

HumanCookie
Verified CFHC User

Reged:
      #41512 - Sun Jul 10 2005 01:05 PM

Quote:

Quote:

at 7:37 I have Dennis at ~86.38 W and ~28.65N... in the past 54 minutes Dennis has gone ~.22 degrees N and ~.06 degrees W... technically I would say he is still going NNW.... he is about 132 miles SSE of Pensacola and 170 miles SE of Mobile...

Go west as far as you can

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged:
Loc: Twin Cities
      #41513 - Sun Jul 10 2005 01:06 PM

Well I don't think anyone knows exactly where this is going to land, and you wouldn't want to be in Grand Bay if there was any chance of flooding, that's for sure.

If the eye lands to the east, then it will mainly be a lot of wind to deal with.

If the eye lands closer or to the west (looks unlikely now) then much better not to be in Grand Bay, due to storm surge. I just hope everyone got out of that area, and also Foley, Gulf Shores area.

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

lunkerhunter
Storm Tracker

Reged:
Re: ten hours [Re: pcola]
      #41514 - Sun Jul 10 2005 01:07 PM

Quote:

Its amazing how many people returned when this went to a cat1 and the NHC said it would not get back to 3. They are not ready.

It was forecasted as a Cat 3 possible Cat 4 last night at 5PM. No one had an excuse to be in that area over night, let alone today. How can people not be ready?

danielwAdministrator

Reged:
Loc: Hattiesburg,MS (31.3N 89.3W)
It's not to late to leave Mobile~8 AM [Re: Southern4sure]
      #41515 - Sun Jul 10 2005 01:08 PM

Quote:

Two hours ago, last time I checked the roads, traffic was very light...but increasing from the Mobile area...i.e. westbound Hwy 98 into Hattiesburg.
Other option at this point is i-10 west toward New Orleans, Baton Rouge and Houston.

jr928
Weather Guru

Reged:
Re: On another, more local note... [Re: Margie]
      #41516 - Sun Jul 10 2005 01:08 PM

wilmer area to hattiesburg to jxn is west north west with no bridge closures to fear if you leave soon

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | 17 | 18 | 19 | 20 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 76 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 94633

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center