F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 Storm Forum

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)
Lysis
User

Reged: Thu
Loc: Hong Kong
Re: Area of Interest - Central Tropical Atlantic [Re: Clark]
      #42504 - Tue Jul 12 2005 02:06 PM

Hank… is that good science? The concept that there is some kind of global energy quota that is being fulfilled in our backyard? As always… not questioning you, just curious. It just sounds too poetic and simple to be true.

EDIT: Keith just pm'd me and sort of answered the question, so I am good.

--------------------
cheers

Edited by Lysis (Tue Jul 12 2005 05:38 PM)

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Clark
Meteorologist

Reged: Wed
Loc:
Re: Area of Interest - Central Tropical Atlantic [Re: Lysis]
      #42583 - Tue Jul 12 2005 07:12 PM

I'll go ahead and answer it here as well, for everyone's benefit.

Generally, the globe has an energy budget which must be maintained to keep the pole-to-equator temperature difference within reason. It's one of the many great things about this planet, really. One of the major means of doing this is transport from the tropics, where there is an energy "excess," to the midlatitudes & poles, where there is an energy "shortage."

Part of this transport is accomplished by oceanic transport, mid-latitude weather systems, and what we call the Hadley cell (a cross-Equatorial transport mechanism for all sorts of quantities, including energy); much of the rest comes from tropical cyclones. Tropical cyclones are a major source of energy and, upon entering the mid-latitudes, deposit that energy in one way or another -- outflow & convective heating aloft, wind and moisture from the storm itself, and so on. So, in essence, there is a balance that must be maintained...and tropical cyclones are one way about doing so.

I'm not going to comment about global TC activity and how it may relate to the activity here or the overall cycle, as it is something we tend to consider not in specifics but in more vague generalities.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Ryan
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc: Long Island, NY / Stuart, FL
      #42590 - Tue Jul 12 2005 07:40 PM

soon to be Franklin orr what?

Only time will tell, Ryan. --Clark

--------------------
2006 Atlantic Season Summary:
Bad, But Not AS Bad.

Life's a Storm, Watch Your Back

Edited by Clark (Tue Jul 12 2005 09:50 PM)

B.C.Francis
Storm Tracker

Reged: Sat
Loc: Indiatlantic Florida
      #42609 - Tue Jul 12 2005 08:41 PM

And here we are, surface dwellers. We inhabit just about every known piece of rock that moves below us, and now our part of the world sees the limelight. The Cycles have been going on since the birth of our island earth. We just happen to be in the way......Weatherchef

Keith234
Storm Chaser

Reged: Thu
Loc: 40.7N/73.3W Long Island
      #42791 - Wed Jul 13 2005 04:43 PM

Found an interesting link on the subject...
http://wxmaps.org/pix/hurpot.html

Apparently Dr. Emanuel developed an algorithm that figures out what you (Lysis) were talking about.

--------------------
"I became insane with horrible periods of sanity"
Edgar Allan Poe

Clark
Meteorologist

Reged: Wed
Loc:
Re: Area of Interest - Central Tropical Atlantic [Re: Keith234]
      #43041 - Thu Jul 14 2005 12:39 PM

Keith -- that is what we call Maximum Potential Intensity, which isn't so much a manifestation of the global circulation, but one illustrating what we understand about the circulation of a tropical cyclone and the factors that impact its intensity. All that goes into it are temperatures at the ocean's surface and aloft (at the outflow layer) plus a bunch of other physical variables (drag coefficients and the like), allowing us to come up with a max. theoretical intensity of both wind speed and pressure.

This circulation assumes a Carnot cycle for the tropical storm -- too lengthy to explain here -- but needless to say, it is a direct circulation with inflow at low levels at about the temperature of the SST, rising motion near the center of the storm (slantwise moist ascent), moist outflow aloft, followed by moist and then dry descent at outer radii. It doesn't take into account the eye or the eyewall -- the features of which I've explained in a current post in the News Talkbacks -- but does a pretty good job of capturing the environmental factors affecting a single hurricane's intensity.

The global circulation deals more with the exchange of energy between the midlatitudes, polar regions, and tropics; some of these factors may work their way down to the fine-scale and impact SSTs and the like, but they aren't directly related.

--------------------
Current Tropical Model Output Plots
(or view them on the main page for any active Atlantic storms!)

Pages: 1 | 2 | (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 3 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating:
Topic views: 19903

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center