F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 211 (Idalia) , Major: 211 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 211 (Idalia) Major: 211 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)
trinibaje
Weather Guru

Reged: Tue
Loc: MIAMI, FLORIDA
Re: Move it to the left.. move it to the right.. down .. south.. up north [Re: damejune2]
      #42160 - Mon Jul 11 2005 03:42 PM

Quote:

I appreciate all comments! We will try to stay calm, but my wife and i are freaked out by this! Last year was terrible as far as mental energy and i think that is where this is coming from. After the season ended, all i could think about was this season and it wasn't even Christmas yet. We are seriously thinking of moving out of here. Some people have nerves of steel when it comes to mother nature - i don't. I don't know how you guys/gals do it.

when i forget the hype and look at the possiblity of actually being really affected by a hurricane (i.e having your house destroyed) you probably have better odds of getting in a car accident on the way home. No matter which part of the country you live, you are faced with something from mother nature at some time of the year.

As for living in Florida, yes its hot, muggy and there are other complaints we can make but.. but i rather the heat than chatting my teeth to cold weather and looking at gray skies 9 months out of the year...

--------------------
-----------MY 2005 PREDICTION--------
15/10/5

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
damejune2
Storm Tracker

Reged: Sat
Loc: Torrington, CT
Re: Move it to the left.. move it to the right.. down .. south.. up north [Re: Lake Toho - Kissimmee]
      #42161 - Mon Jul 11 2005 03:43 PM

I agree with you 100%. My family up north always talks about us being so lucky cause we are close to the beach, Disney, etc... I tell them, so what!! When you live here, it's not a vacation! Thats what a lot of these people don't realize is they come down for vacation and think it's so awesome that they decide to move here. Most people leave after the first two hurricane seasons and if not that then the low paying jobs have them running back north. Here is an example - my father used to work for Pratt & Whitney Aircraft in CT. When he left there to come down here with my mom, sister and I, he was making close to 20.00 an hour. His first job (and only job for almost 20 years) he started out at 7.50 an hour!!! Sorry to be off topic.

--------------------
Gloria 1985 (Eye passed over my house in...get this...northwestern CT!)

Domino
Weather Guru

Reged: Mon
Loc: Makati City, Philippines
T-Numbers of 2.5...up from 2.0 - shall we have Emily at 5? [Re: jaxmike]
      #42162 - Mon Jul 11 2005 03:45 PM

Last set of T-Numbers are 2.5, up from 2.0. This would indicate 35kts (40mph) and thus Emily shall be born with the next advisory, if the NHC agrees.

damejune2
Storm Tracker

Re: Is It just me [Re: jaxmike]
      #42163 - Mon Jul 11 2005 03:46 PM

Jaxmike -

I am new too, just read the others' post and you'll get a feel for it. I usually just ask one of them. I can tell you that the last report from the NHC said that it wasn't organized too well...yet.

--------------------

damejune2
Storm Tracker

Re: Move it to the left.. move it to the right.. down .. south.. up north [Re: trinibaje]
      #42164 - Mon Jul 11 2005 03:49 PM

I am looking to get a weather station for my house.....what do you guys recommend? Obviously wireless and something that you can put up on a web page, but wha brands and how much is too much?

--------------------

damejune2
Storm Tracker

Re: T-Numbers of 2.5...up from 2.0 - shall we have Emily at 5? [Re: Domino]
      #42165 - Mon Jul 11 2005 03:50 PM

Besides the NHC, where else can we get T number information?

--------------------

B.C.Francis
Storm Tracker

Loc: Indiatlantic Florida
Re: Move it to the left.. move it to the right.. down .. south.. up north [Re: trinibaje]
      #42166 - Mon Jul 11 2005 03:51 PM

You got that right! I grew up south of Buffalo and when I came to Florida 25 years ago I never went back. Shoveling snow and seeing no sun for 9 months like you say was depressing. I don`t care if I get 30 canes this year, I love it here and will never leave my island. If everything gets wiped out, I`ll make a tee pee on my sand and fish for food just like our Indain brothers did 500 or so years ago.....Weatherchef

laxpimpj
Verified CFHC User

Reged: Fri
Re: Is It just me [Re: damejune2]
      #42167 - Mon Jul 11 2005 03:51 PM

I just read up on that dynogel stuff.... Does anyone think they have started using that junk? Was it normal for the 04 storms (and Dennis) to weaken SO rapidly before (and after) coming on land. I just went and looked at the tracks of Charley jeanne Ivan and Frances, they seemed to have weakened so quickly just before making landfall. Not to mention finding all that foam on the coast. If they are doing this without telling anyone, I would be very upset.

Littlebit
Weather Watcher

Loc: Plant City, FL
Re: Move it to the left.. move it to the right.. down .. south.. up north [Re: damejune2]
      #42168 - Mon Jul 11 2005 03:51 PM

Damejune2, another thing that doesn't help (but I do it also) is tracking storms from their birth. It would probably help your nerves if you didn't really start paying attention to them until your local forecaster brought it to your attention. If we paid attention to every storm and worried where it would hit, we would go crazy (at least I would). So it would probably help to take a break from it for awhile.

BTW, I've lived here all my life and absolutely love it. I love the storms, everything! Would never want to live anywhere else.

Have a great day everyone!

Jamiewx
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
Loc: Orlando, Florida
T-numbers [Re: B.C.Francis]
      #42169 - Mon Jul 11 2005 03:52 PM

T-numbers for systems, including invests, can be obtained from the SSD

http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/positions.html

Here is another link to help with Dvorak Classifications

http://www.tropicalupdate.com/atlantic_tropic_watch_guide_to_d.htm

Edited by Jamiewx (Mon Jul 11 2005 03:56 PM)

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Reged: Sun
Loc: Tampa
      #42170 - Mon Jul 11 2005 03:55 PM

I mentioned this morning, if the ridge holds, everything always depends on that, I could see (possible Emily) as a 1979 Albert or a 2002 Lilly only based now on position. It's still very early. Also, I could see the Est Atl Trop Wave heading towards the Mid Atl States.

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Reged: Sun
Loc: Tampa
Re: T-Numbers of 2.5...up from 2.0 - shall we have Emily at 5? [Re: damejune2]
      #42171 - Mon Jul 11 2005 03:56 PM

I get mine from here http://www.ssd.noaa.gov/PS/TROP/positions.html

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

jbmusic
Weather Watcher

Loc: Bradenton, Fl
Re: Is It just me [Re: laxpimpj]
      #42172 - Mon Jul 11 2005 03:57 PM

What is the dynogel stuff? I'm trying to lean all the language of all this stuff. Sometimes it can be so confusing almost like reading another language

--------------------
Jenny Bradenton, Florida
www.bbdigitalphoto.com

GuppieGrouper
Weather Master

Loc: Polk County, Florida
Re: Is It just me [Re: laxpimpj]
      #42173 - Mon Jul 11 2005 04:02 PM

Dynagel is part reality and part urban myth. It does an extremely good job of soaking up moisture from drywall or carpets, but the foam that you see in the ocean is called seafoam and it has always been around. I have lived in Florida over 50 years and spent my childhood at the gulf and atlantic beaches. Sea foam is even spoken of in old Sailor Tales. We have more pollution than you can imagine since I was a child and I hesitate to swim in the waters because of it now, but the sea foam has always been there.

--------------------
God commands. Laymen guess. Scientists record.

jbmusic
Weather Watcher

Loc: Bradenton, Fl
Re: Is It just me [Re: GuppieGrouper]
      #42174 - Mon Jul 11 2005 04:04 PM

Thank you very Much

--------------------
Jenny Bradenton, Florida
www.bbdigitalphoto.com

Jamiewx
Storm Tracker

Loc: Orlando, Florida
Re: Is It just me [Re: jbmusic]
      #42175 - Mon Jul 11 2005 04:06 PM

Saw something similar to that on TV last night, but it involved seeding the Hurricane to induce rainfall from the clouds, weakening the storm. However they stopped the program because, if could never be proven that it was the seeding that weakened the storms and not a natural cause. The Cuban Govt accused the U.S. of causing the storms to affect them or head in their direction, and the mexican govt claimed the U.S. was depriving them of needed rainfall.

Old Sailor
Storm Tracker

Reged: Mon
Loc: Florida
Re: Move it to the left.. move it to the right.. down .. south.. up north [Re: Tazmanian93]
      #42176 - Mon Jul 11 2005 04:13 PM

There was no Albert in 1979.

abyrd
Weather Hobbyist

Loc: apopka
Re: Is It just me [Re: jbmusic]
      #42177 - Mon Jul 11 2005 04:13 PM

Dynagel was also supposedly the thing to stop hurricanes. There has always been myths of a Palm Beach Businessman spreading it in the clouds of thunderstorms to less their impact.

It's something that always pops up about once a season.

laxpimpj
Verified CFHC User

Re: Is It just me [Re: abyrd]
      #42178 - Mon Jul 11 2005 04:17 PM

It doesn't seem like a myth though.
http://www.dynomat.com/storm.shtml
http://www.wkyc.com/news/news_fullstory.asp?id=35733

Man, If any of this stuff was ever actually found in the ocean..... He should be sued for massive pollution. He even admits to dumping the crap in the water on his website, how has he not been shut down/jailed/executed?

Edited by laxpimpj (Mon Jul 11 2005 04:20 PM)

Ryan
Storm Tracker

Reged: Tue
Loc: Long Island, NY / Stuart, FL
Re: Is It just me [Re: Jamiewx]
      #42179 - Mon Jul 11 2005 04:18 PM

please TD#5/Emily..stay away from Stuart / Hutchinson Island, FL

Jeanne collapsed the roof of my top floor condo into the living room..the mold was unbelievable..we just got it up and running and now this!?!

Florida, you should just break off and go to somewhere hurricane-free..and long island can come to..not like were hurricane ready

--------------------
2006 Atlantic Season Summary:
Bad, But Not AS Bad.

Life's a Storm, Watch Your Back

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 133 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 64720

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center