F
Current Radar or Satellite Image

Flhurricane.com - Central Florida Hurricane Center - Tracking Storms since 1995Hurricanes Without the Hype! Since 1995

Chill falls over the Atlantic as the official season heads towards close
Days since last H. Landfall - US: Any 212 (Idalia) , Major: 212 (Idalia) Florida - Any: 212 (Idalia) Major: 212 (Idalia)
None
COMMUNICATION
STORM DATA
CONTENT
FOLLOW US
ADS
Login to remove ads

News Talkback >> 2005 News Talkbacks

Jump to first unread post. Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)
Colleen A.

Reged: Sat
Loc: Florida
Re: Emily [Re: Frank P]
      #42112 - Mon Jul 11 2005 01:46 PM

Fox News just showed Geraldo falling on his butt...man, was that FUNNY!

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

Post Extras: Print Post   Remind Me!   Notify Moderator  
Shalafi
Weather Guru

Reged: Thu
Loc: Altamonte Springs
Re: stupid question [Re: HurricaneSteph]
      #42113 - Mon Jul 11 2005 01:47 PM

Quote:

Hi to all.... I've been watching these hurricanes and all the related info for the past year, ever since Charley came through town and had it's way with us. I understand the direct relation to millibars, troughs and other variables that make each hurricane different. What I don't understand, is what exactly do they mean when they say "a tropical wave off the coast of Africa". Is it literally a wave, as we picture it? Or is it a thunderstorm that blows off the coast? I'm just interested in the origins of these things..... :?:

Maybe this will help: http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/A4.html
If not there is a great FAQ from the NOAA here http://www.aoml.noaa.gov/hrd/tcfaq/tcfaqHED.html

--------------------
Bryan
What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.
God bless
I know very litte about weather. I'm here to learn mostly but will post friendly replies now and then. So if you don't want to see non-weather comments ignore me now. Thanx!

CaneTrackerInSoFl
Storm Tracker

Reged: Mon
Loc: Israel
Re: stupid question [Re: HurricaneSteph]
      #42114 - Mon Jul 11 2005 01:49 PM

Quote:

Hi to all.... I've been watching these hurricanes and all the related info for the past year, ever since Charley came through town and had it's way with us. I understand the direct relation to millibars, troughs and other variables that make each hurricane different. What I don't understand, is what exactly do they mean when they say "a tropical wave off the coast of Africa". Is it literally a wave, as we picture it? Or is it a thunderstorm that blows off the coast? I'm just interested in the origins of these things..... :?:

A Tropical Wave usually blows off Africa with thunderstorms. It is not literally a wave like an ocean wave. Usually, these have vortexes to my knowledge that causes them to be classified as a Tropical Wave. Tropical Waves have the potential to become a TD--->TS--->H if they can consolidate the thunderstorm activity and the upper, mid, and low level circulations. You may ask, how is this possible? That their are three different circulation centers. Its quite simple, upper, mid, and low refers to the level of the atmosphere its in. Most tropical waves do not become storms.

--------------------
Andrew 1992, Irene 1999, Katrina 2005, Wilma 2005

Margie
Senior Storm Chaser

Reged: Fri
Loc: Twin Cities
Good to hear from you! [Re: GBPaul]
      #42115 - Mon Jul 11 2005 01:49 PM

Quote:

Hello All, I am back on via laptop and wireless modem.
Power is out and cable is dead.
We are located at the entrance to Tiger Point Country Club just east of Gulf Breeze. My House is within an 1/8th of a mile of the southern end of the Garcon Point Bridge. Eyewall hit with severe winds out of the NNE. I was here for Ivan and my area had stronger winds today... thankfully, for a much shorter time. Leading eyewall lasted approximately 40 -45 minutes and we had excessive tree damage. I was surprised at the number of trees downed in the Tiger Point area. We had roughly 15 minutes in the eye... absolute calm, but no blue skies like in Erin. Trailing edge was very short lived, 20 minutes, and winds were much less 70 - 75.

Thank you SO MUCH for the thoughtful detailed information about your experience. Even with TV newspeople posted practically every other block in the probable strike area, for miles and miles, we didn't get any real information about the effects of the hurricane near the eye. What we did see on TV struck me as asinine but I won't get into that!

So glad no one was hurt, and hope recovery from the damage is starting and moves quickly.

Now if we could only hear from Pcola (who apparently lives very near you!).

--------------------
Katrina's Surge: http://www.wunderground.com/hurricane/Katrinas_surge_contents.asp

drcrazibob
Weather Watcher

Loc: Daytona Beach, Fl
Re: Emily [Re: Colleen A.]
      #42116 - Mon Jul 11 2005 01:49 PM

Quote:

Fox News just showed Geraldo falling on his butt...man, was that FUNNY!

With Geraldo's History, I woulnd't doubt it if he staged it for the ratings. Geez, from a broken nose, to a broken butt. Thank Goodness he makes the news entertaining for us all!

Rasvar
Weather Master

Loc: Tallahassee, Fl
Re: Emily [Re: BullitNutz]
      #42117 - Mon Jul 11 2005 01:50 PM

Way early on Emily. Still a bit far out to do recon. That will help some. Not even going to hazzard a major guess on course. I think the storm may end up being south of the current based on model bias. However, the current track would be a storm killer tracker and a total disaster for the Dominican Republic. Not a lot of storms survive those mountains intact if they take them on head on.

--------------------
Jim

AgentB
Weather Guru

Loc: Winter Park, FL
Re: Tropical Depression Five Forms In Central Atlantic [Re: Colleen A.]
      #42118 - Mon Jul 11 2005 01:50 PM

Quote:

As far as TD#5/Emily's track is concerned, I'm not going outside the projected cone for right now. It does appear that it may make a trek across Haiti...which might just rip it to shreds, but other than that, I'm not forecasting any landfall points in the United States.

Reading that sparked my memory of last year. I remember thinking the same thing about one of the eventually named storms. Looking at the '04 tracks I think it might have been Frances. The location is pretty similar, though the weather patterns aren't setup exactly the same.

--------------------
Check the Surf

trinibaje
Weather Guru

Reged: Tue
Loc: MIAMI, FLORIDA
Move it to the left.. move it to the right.. down .. south.. up north [Re: AgentB]
      #42120 - Mon Jul 11 2005 01:57 PM

This hurricane season remind of a calpyso song from Trinidad, called move it to the left.... we should make this our theme song.

The chorus goes

Move it to the left
Move it to the right
Move it to the left
Move it to right
Down south Down south
Up north Up north

--------------------
-----------MY 2005 PREDICTION--------
15/10/5

Lysis
User

Loc: Hong Kong
Re: Move it to the left.. move it to the right.. down .. south.. up north [Re: trinibaje]
      #42121 - Mon Jul 11 2005 02:07 PM

If TD5 becomes Emily in the immediate future, we will be beating the east pacific as far as named storms.

--------------------
cheers

Jamiewx
Storm Tracker

Reged: Wed
Loc: Orlando, Florida
Re: Move it to the left.. move it to the right.. down .. south.. up north [Re: Lysis]
      #42123 - Mon Jul 11 2005 02:12 PM

I remember some things from last year that could be indicators of an active Atlantic season. One was the unusually quiet Eastern Pacific, the other was Western Pacific typhoons seemed to target Japan more than the usually do. So if they EPAC is quieter than normal, we will probably see this active trend continue.

We did beat the EPAC last year for named storms as well.

Edited by Jamiewx (Mon Jul 11 2005 02:13 PM)

Colleen A.

Reged: Sat
Loc: Florida
Re: Move it to the left.. move it to the right.. down .. south.. up north [Re: Jamiewx]
      #42124 - Mon Jul 11 2005 02:18 PM

Yes, you're right...the EPAC has not been all that active. And didn't they have a typhoon near Japan just a month or two ago?
Hm. Let's hope the EPAC gets a little busier, shall we?

--------------------
You know you're a hurricane freak when you wake up in the morning and hit "REFRESH" on CFHC instead of the Snooze Button.

drcrazibob
Weather Watcher

Loc: Daytona Beach, Fl
Re: Move it to the left.. move it to the right.. down .. south.. up north [Re: Jamiewx]
      #42125 - Mon Jul 11 2005 02:20 PM

Quote:

I remember some things from last year that could be indicators of an active Atlantic season. One was the unusually quiet Eastern Pacific, the other was Western Pacific typhoons seemed to target Japan more than the usually do. So if they EPAC is quieter than normal, we will probably see this active trend continue.

I also remember everyone mentioning that the Atlantic was a degree or so warmer than average, which causes more activity. right?

doug
Weather Analyst

Loc: parrish,fl
      #42126 - Mon Jul 11 2005 02:20 PM

That article posted earlier: The Case Against Florida kind of explains it that way too...SST analmolies in both oceans might be linked...

--------------------
doug

Jamiewx
Storm Tracker

Loc: Orlando, Florida
Re: Move it to the left.. move it to the right.. down .. south.. up north [Re: drcrazibob]
      #42128 - Mon Jul 11 2005 02:27 PM

It's warmer than normal SST's and lower than normal wind shear over the basin that appears to be responsible for this higher than normal activity.

An interesting article here about Jim Lushine's rainfall theory. Key things to note are that, June rainfall has nothing to do with it, only rainfall in May, and it only applies to South Florida.

Lake Toho - Kissimmee
Storm Tracker

Loc: Kissimmee, Florida on Lake Toh...
Re: Tropical Depression Five Forms In Central Atlantic [Re: Colleen A.]
      #42129 - Mon Jul 11 2005 02:29 PM

I shook my head when CNN picked up Rick Sanchez. When I lived in Miami, he was the Anchor for the Fox Affiliate Channel 7 News. Hurricane Andrew with Rick Sanchez was over the top.. Especially his on the scene reporting of the devistation in homestead. Where he would report in the dark, shut off the camera lights, so you could experience what people in Homestead would experience. During Hurricane Georges he spent considerable amounts of time, concentrating on a small sapling in the Channel 7 parking lot, that was being blow in the wind by gale force winds (no Georges never hit Miami, and yes the sapling did make it through the storm). I have to say one thing about Rick, he is definitely fun to watch..

If they ever did a Cuban Star Trek Series, he would make a great Captain Kirk. Over acting and all..

--------------------
Dream like you will live forever.. Live like there is no tommorow.. Darwin Rules !!

Shalafi
Weather Guru

Loc: Altamonte Springs
Re: Move it to the left.. move it to the right.. down .. south.. up north [Re: trinibaje]
      #42130 - Mon Jul 11 2005 02:29 PM

Quote:

Move it to the left
Move it to the right
Move it to the left
Move it to right
Down south Down south
Up north Up north

I think our theme song could be:
Oh where, oh where has the dynogel gone....
Oh WHERE oh where could it beeeeee

Don't flame me..I'm kidding

--------------------
Bryan
What doesn't kill us only makes us stronger.
God bless
I know very litte about weather. I'm here to learn mostly but will post friendly replies now and then. So if you don't want to see non-weather comments ignore me now. Thanx!

Tazmanian93
Weather Master

Reged: Sun
Loc: Tampa
Re: Move it to the left.. move it to the right.. down .. south.. up north [Re: Lysis]
      #42132 - Mon Jul 11 2005 02:34 PM

Just noticed possible Emily 11/1745 UTC 10.7N 45.3W T2.5/2.5, up from 11/1145 UTC 10.2N 44.0W T2.0/2.0

--------------------
Don't knock the weather; nine-tenths of the people couldn't start a conversation if it didn't change once in a while.

Go Bucs!!!!!!!!!

Ed

NewWatcher
Storm Tracker

Loc: Port Orange, FL
Re: Move it to the left.. move it to the right.. down .. south.. up north [Re: Tazmanian93]
      #42133 - Mon Jul 11 2005 02:36 PM

obviously i have no idea what i am talking about because, to me,
T5 looks better organized than they are saying and also further north

--------------------
Pam in Volusia County

According to Colleen A ... "I AM A HURRICANE FREAK"
2007 Predictions 16/9/6

trinibaje
Weather Guru

Loc: MIAMI, FLORIDA
Re: Move it to the left.. move it to the right.. down .. south.. up north [Re: Shalafi]
      #42134 - Mon Jul 11 2005 02:37 PM

Quote:

Quote:

Move it to the left
Move it to the right
Move it to the left
Move it to right
Down south Down south
Up north Up north

I think our theme song could be:
Oh where, oh where has the dynogel gone....
Oh WHERE oh where could it beeeeee

Don't flame me..I'm kidding

there was a station here in miami doing a report on dynogel and some iodine crystals... i can't believe we as humans are soooo arogant

--------------------
-----------MY 2005 PREDICTION--------
15/10/5

NewWatcher
Storm Tracker

Loc: Port Orange, FL
Re: Move it to the left.. move it to the right.. down .. south.. up north [Re: NewWatcher]
      #42135 - Mon Jul 11 2005 02:39 PM

looks like recon is interested

--------------------
Pam in Volusia County

According to Colleen A ... "I AM A HURRICANE FREAK"
2007 Predictions 16/9/6

Pages: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11 | 12 | 13 | 14 | 15 | 16 | >> (show all)

Extra information
0 registered and 379 anonymous users are browsing this forum.

Moderator:  MikeC, Ed Dunham, danielw 

Print Topic

Forum Permissions
      You cannot start new topics
      You cannot reply to topics
      HTML is disabled
      UBBCode is enabled

Rating: *****
Topic views: 64786

Rate this topic

Jump to

Note: This is NOT an official page. It is run by weather hobbyists and should not be used as a replacement for official sources. 
CFHC's main servers are currently located at
Hostdime.com in Orlando, FL.
Image Server Network thanks to Mike Potts and Amazon Web Services. If you have static file hosting space that allows dns aliasing contact us to help out! Some Maps Provided by:
Great thanks to all who donated and everyone who uses the site as well. Site designed for 800x600+ resolution
When in doubt, take the word of the National Hurricane Center